Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

They do know the course, they just aren't posting it. They don't post any courses anymore. Princess wasn't released until the event guide and that course is the same every year.

I think everyone is so anxious for the course because it is different. I've run Princess a few times and just assume it will be the same as past years. But this is a bit more of a wild card.

I'm staying there too :)
We are at Pop Century for the week and then moving to All Star Sports on Friday for the weekend.
My DS and I will be there too.
This was supposed to be a solo trip for me before my son decided he wanted to crash the party. Actually, I'm really looking forward to being able to spend some mother-son time with him before he heads off to college in the fall. ::yes::

Yay! Although I know it will be full of runners it's fun to see some from here staying there too!

So are we taking bets on what we think the actual course will be, since we're getting close to the big reveal? I know a lot of people are leaning toward an Bear Island Rd -> Animal Kingdom -> Epcot, with possibly a sojourn through Pandora. I don't think they would send 18,000 people (and all their trash), through their shiny new park, so I'm betting no on Pandora. Reading too much into things is a great pastime, and I noticed the description reads "course through the Walt Disney World® Resort", whereas is says "course through Walt Disney World® Theme Parks" for Princess and WDW Half. (It also reads 'resort' for W&D.) Could that mean AK is out as well? Hmmm...

I am anticipating some good on-course entertainment this year, as last year's races didn't go so well for Dark Side weekend. With that in mind, one of my favorite parts of Light Side was the section in old downtown Anaheim, where the 501st and several other enthusiasts came out in costume. It was really great. IF (and that's a big if), they do up ESPN right and bring in some cool stuff, I'd actually rather have that than AK. I'm not sure I'm ready to put money on it though.

It better be Animal Kingdom instead of WWOS. There's no reason we need to loop around WWOS to get miles in like in the marathon, AK is done with construction and their construction never actually messed up any other courses, so to not have it would be silly. I wouldn't read too much into using "Walt Disney World Resort" instead of "Theme Parks". Probably just a different person typing it. I doubt it includes Pandora. The marathon included a quick pass through Studios so they could easily do that, it still lists Studios in the 10k description anyway so why not have the half go through it too.

As for entertainment I'm sure they'll use their huge screens, which I don't really mind although I know some say that's not entertainment. I hope there's a band, I love the marching bands & appreciate when they are out there! Hoping for the 501st too.

Last edited:
I think everyone is so anxious for the course because it is different. I've run Princess a few times and just assume it will be the same as past years. But this is a bit more of a wild card.

Oh, I totally get it. I'm anxious too. I was more just responding to the "how do they not know the course 4 weeks out" sentiment. Here's hoping that we see that Event Guide soon!

Walt Disney World Resort (when resort is capitalized and trademarked) just means on Disney property in Florida. So no need to panic about no park time yet, it was probably a placeholder since they didn't have a course route yet. :)

Here's another dumb (and jumping the gun) question.o_O Where and how does one link any runDisney photos taken of them during the runs to their disney photos. I became an annual passholder this past winter and have heard that I would be able to get the runDisney photos linked over to my disney account. I also know its about 24 hours after the run that pics might be available so I need to wait. But where exactly do I go to find the link and what will I need to enter?:thanks:

I believe the directions are also on the back of the bib.

I don't think it's going to go through Pandora, if it was I think they would have used it as a selling point since there are still spots open. I would love it if it was the second half of the marathon, that was my favorite part.

I don't think we'll run through Pandora, but I do still hope we'll run through DAK. I really enjoyed it during W&D. And I feel like with the theme it would be a shame not to do a little time in DHS. But time will tell.

I was a little bummed at the dates for the Pandora preview as I would have loved to take part in it while there. I'll just cross my fingers for a little magic while we're there!

4 Weeks till the Expo!!

When does everyone plan on going? We plan on Thursday afternoon, thinking 2:30. Merchandise isn't a priority & would rather not deal with looooong lines. Hoping maybe some characters are out/setup, but not sure how my waiting game will be then if lines are long. Vendor booths are always enjoyable although I haven't bought anything at them ever.
We're doing AK on Thursday, so we have a Tusker House (ROL package :love:) ADR for a late bfast, some rides and then expo early afternoon, back to our FPs at AK, evening safari and ROL ! a little later than we'd planned originally (5K next morning) but uh, ROL wasn't so much working at first haha. Priorities change, you know ;)

Magic Kingdom is now open until midnight EST on the 19th. So EMH will have it open until 2am on the 20th EST. DAK is only open till 9:30pm EST on the 19th, hence the plan to hop over to MK after we finish up at DAK.
haha this is our "later start at AK" reason, DS11 is now AMPED to attempt a 19hr MK day....:eek::faint: but I told him 4park challenge will give us a few breaks. AND you know, 2am is pretty freakin late. He's the one who hates sleep though. @MommaoffherRocker we may be in for it on this trip :darth:

The thing with the course is so frustrating. I really don't get why it has to be so top secret. Just tell us what it is already. Many other major races post course maps on their websites well before the events. And it may help sell the remaining Dark Side spots if people knew what it was.

There is absolutely no reason in my mind why they should sacrifice Animal Kingdom for WWOS. With the route it would probably take to get to WWOS, it would mean about 3-4 miles in there. Just take it to Animal Kingdom instead over doing unnecessary miles around a sports facility. I understand using it to get Marathon mileage, but not a half. And if they go down Bear Island Road, Animal Kingdom would be around mile 4-5 which will be early enough that everyone would be through before park opening, so that wouldn't be a factor. And as someone else mentioned, construction hasnt affected other courses, so it shouldn't for this either. So I would be quite angry if Animal Kingdom was cut because to me it doesn't make sense.

The thing with the course is so frustrating. I really don't get why it has to be so top secret. Just tell us what it is already. Many other major races post course maps on their websites well before the events. And it may help sell the remaining Dark Side spots if people knew what it was.

There is absolutely no reason in my mind why they should sacrifice Animal Kingdom for WWOS. With the route it would probably take to get to WWOS, it would mean about 3-4 miles in there. Just take it to Animal Kingdom instead over doing unnecessary miles around a sports facility. I understand using it to get Marathon mileage, but not a half. And if they go down Bear Island Road, Animal Kingdom would be around mile 4-5 which will be early enough that everyone would be through before park opening, so that wouldn't be a factor. And as someone else mentioned, construction hasnt affected other courses, so it shouldn't for this either. So I would be quite angry if Animal Kingdom was cut because to me it doesn't make sense.

It could be a staffing/cost issue.

There are less personnel requirements in WWoS than AK.

Brian

Last year for this race we went early for merch since we are SW nerds, then just got a beer - or rather a delicious pineapple cider that they no longer sell there - and just hung out at the tables waiting for a friend flying in that morning. It was fantastic! Though it did give me time to think and when she arrived I bought more crap lol
Lol! Sounds a lot like me last year... got there in time to get lunch and a cider, wandered around taking it all in, bought a couple things, headed to airport to pick up a friend, back to expo for her, wandered around, had a beer, bought more stuff... ;)

Let's not let this get out of hand. This is NOT the real route. Anyone can create a USATF route and pick the name runDisney.
:thumbsup2 Quoting you to keep this message visible - the rumors are running amuck!

It's that humidity that will kill you. Anything over 20% and I'm dying.
:earseek: I don't think I've ever seen humidity at 20%! Here in FL, I consider it "dry" when humidity is below 50% lol!

So are we taking bets on what we think the actual course will be, since we're getting close to the big reveal?
I'm going with a "no" on Pandora. Too soon, since AP/DVC previews don't start until May, and it doesn't officially open until May 27.
Yes to lots of highway.
AK, DHS, EP. Maybe WWOS - I mapped it out in Runkeeper a while back and think I din't need WWOS to get to 13.1, but can't really remember.
501st... but where? I think not Floridian Way/World Dr. because they need us off of that quickly. Maybe Bear Island if we go that way. DHS entrance plaza? Osceola?

Other than that, I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering. It would be neat if they did something fun and creative with the road work, though!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I looooved the course last year! I thought it had the perfect combination of highway and parks, and I was super happy to see they stuck with the SW theme throughout.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter