• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your detailed and exciting report, ThistleMae!
I am so conflicted about FoP. I am going to try to reserve FPs for our last day in October and I will probably not make up my mind until we get to the vehicles. I will either ride or walk out.
My problems: I have vertigo and motion sickness that comes and goes- sometimes just scrolling on my iPad can trigger it. My one and only time on TZToT left me feeling pretty bad. I even woke up the next day feeling like I had a hangover. The effects lasted almost all day.
The other problem is my back. Sudden motions, like a car stopping short or taking off too quickly when the light changes, can affect it.
With other rides, my DH will usually ride it first and tell me if he thinks my back can handle it, but with the outrageous wait times and difficulties getting FPs, this is not an option. I love Soarin', even if I have to occasionally close my eyes, because I can totally relax in the seat and feel like I'm floating.
I hate to miss something this amazing, but I would also hate for it to interfere with my enjoyment of everything else!
Sorry for my rambling!

1. You'll be fine, unless you get someone behind your sister in the tapstile line who takes offense to you cutting in line. You never can say for sure but I have (very rarely) seen a guest go off on another guest for such a thing. 99.9% of the time you won't have an issue.
2. There is a rope up blocking the path. Could you step over or duck under the rope and walk through the normal standby line? Sure. Should you? Well that's your call. I seriously doubt anything too bad would happen to you. Although you would technically be entering a closed off section of Disney's property. Would a cast member be pissed? If a cast member was really having a bad morning they could call security.
So I contacted Guest Services (I really hope they don't start keeping a record of all my emails...it's getting a bit ridiculous) to ask about the FoP standby queue in the morning. They said when we get there in the morning to try and talk to a CM as we enter the queue and say we want the whole FoP experience and they will typically let us go through the standby as opposed to FP. Thought I'd pass that on in case anyone else had that worry/annoyance. (Though I am worried with the cutbacks in CM staff and hours we may interact with anyone when entering the queue, but I guess we'll see!)

So I contacted Guest Services (I really hope they don't start keeping a record of all my emails...it's getting a bit ridiculous) to ask about the FoP standby queue in the morning. They said when we get there in the morning to try and talk to a CM as we enter the queue and say we want the whole FoP experience and they will typically let us go through the standby as opposed to FP. Thought I'd pass that on in case anyone else had that worry/annoyance. (Though I am worried with the cutbacks in CM staff and hours we may interact with anyone when entering the queue, but I guess we'll see!)
Makes sense to me. I can't see what it hurts to let folks go through a longer line and wait if that's what they want to do. Even if it means they wait till those routed in the FP line are loaded first. What am I missing about letting guests do that? Is there a reason not to that I'm missing?
I mean, I realize why they are sending them in the FP lines, it gets the ride started faster. But for those that want to walk the long way, why not let them?

I am so conflicted about FoP. I am going to try to reserve FPs for our last day in October and I will probably not make up my mind until we get to the vehicles. I will either ride or walk out.
My problems: I have vertigo and motion sickness that comes and goes- sometimes just scrolling on my iPad can trigger it. My one and only time on TZToT left me feeling pretty bad. I even woke up the next day feeling like I had a hangover. The effects lasted almost all day.
The other problem is my back. Sudden motions, like a car stopping short or taking off too quickly when the light changes, can affect it.
With other rides, my DH will usually ride it first and tell me if he thinks my back can handle it, but with the outrageous wait times and difficulties getting FPs, this is not an option. I love Soarin', even if I have to occasionally close my eyes, because I can totally relax in the seat and feel like I'm floating.
I hate to miss something this amazing, but I would also hate for it to interfere with my enjoyment of everything else!
Sorry for my rambling!
I dont think you'll have a problem with your back, the ride is super smooth, no jerking. I too love soarin', its my favorite, other than FOP, my new favorite. As far as vertigo....I'm supervsensitive and cant go on most of the simulated rides at Universal. The dives on FOP ARE SUPER INTENSE And YOU DO LOTS OF CURVING, REALLY, REALLY FAST, BUT YOU FEEL SO SECURE ON THE RIDE VEHICLE THAT YOU don't feel like you've lost control. Letting your husband try first is a great idea but is he willing to wait in a long line with you again?

Sorry for my rambling!
I don't have motion related issues of any sort but I would have to think if you can tolerate Soarin' you will have no problems with FoP because the sensations are so similar. FoP is smooth and a sensation of flying, soaring through the air, with swooping, gradual twists and turns, just like Soarin'. It's not jerky or sudden at all. And you could close your eyes if you had to, just like on Soarin'. You would be able to relax in the seat (or on the seat as the case may be) and feel like you are floating. FoP is different than anything else at Disney but is best described as Soarin' on steroids. Or Soarin' times 10. It's really not like Star Tours or other simulators at all. At least not to me.

Yes! This is exactly what I was planning to do anyway - just ask if we could go through the regular queue. I wonder, if we don't start by getting directed to the FP line, whether it would be obvious if we get diverted to the FP line later. I assume, there would be two options/lines, and a CM directing to only one option. Is that the case?

Yes! This is exactly what I was planning to do anyway - just ask if we could go through the regular queue. I wonder, if we don't start by getting directed to the FP line, whether it would be obvious if we get diverted to the FP line later. I assume, there would be two options/lines, and a CM directing to only one option. Is that the case?

No one needs to ask to get in the standby queue, just go in and be prepared to wait a while. The standby and FP queues eventually merge, before this point (assuming FOP is like all other attractions), there is no opportunity to switch. If you won't be using your FP, I would encourage that it be returned to the pool so that others might.

No one needs to ask to get in the standby queue, just go in and be prepared to wait a while. The standby and FP queues eventually merge, before this point (assuming FOP is like all other attractions), there is no opportunity to switch. If you won't be using your FP, I would encourage that it be returned to the pool so that others might.
The concern is mostly that I will be trying to hit up the standby queue at Rope Drop (well, am EMH RD), so I don't have to wait hours. At that time they have been directing everyone through the FP line at a certain point rather than the standby queue so you miss significant portions (including floating avatar). I still plan to use my FP later, just would like to see the standby queue at least once!

The concern is mostly that I will be trying to hit up the standby queue at Rope Drop (well, am EMH RD), so I don't have to wait hours. At that time they have been directing everyone through the FP line at a certain point rather than the standby queue so you miss significant portions (including floating avatar). I still plan to use my FP later, just would like to see the standby queue at least once!

Then I would just wait near the entrance until they open standby.

Yes, this is exactly my scenario. I have a FP for our last day, but want to experience the queue earlier in the trip, without a FP. Planning to be there at rope drop. So, do I take it that the CMs walk the RD group to the FP line and at some point, they stop taking them through the FP line and start using the regular standby line? If so, has anyone waited for standby to open, and if so, how long was the wait?

So, do I take it that the CMs walk the RD group to the FP line and at some point, they stop taking them through the FP line and start using the regular standby line?
CMs lead the rope drop crowd through the normal standyby entrance. You walk through the external standby queue area. Once you get inside the first cave of the internal standby queue, there is a break in the wall where you leave the standby queue and they lead you into the interior part of the FP queue (right where the FP queue enters the human facility). At some point they stop moving the standby line into the FP queue like this, but I don't know when that occurs. They would block off that cut through to the FP queue, and drop the rope to route the standby line through the normal queue.

You are not understanding the issue. This has nothing to do with FP

First thing in the morning they are taking stand by guests in the regular entrance but instead of going through the regular queue the entire way part way through they route them in to the FP line. So these guests miss part of the stand by queue. They do this to speed loading of the ride.

The question is how can these early morning guests choose to go in the full stand by line?

Waiting by the entrance won't always help since they reroute them inside. You can't tell from the entrance when they are or aren't

I just wanted to let everyone know about our FOP experience. We planned a last-minute vacation about three weeks out so there was no chance of us getting FOP fast passes. We arrived on Sunday, July 16. After we arrived at WDW I kept checking for FOP fast passes and we lucked out! I was able to get 4 FOP fast passes for that evening! We also did FOP a second time that evening using the standby line. I kept checking the wait times for standby and around 9:30 or so it went down to 95 minutes and we jumped on the standby line. If you're there on a Sunday I think Sunday evenings is a good time to go because a lot of people are checking out and checking in that day and the standby line was the lowest I saw all week if you're not into doing rope drop.

A quick RD report from yesterday. We arrived at about 6:35 (EMH at 8); we were the third group there. It was not necessary to get there that early. I would say that 7 am would be fine. Bag check opened at 7:30; DH took the bags and I went through the no bag line to get to the tapstyles. That was kind of a nightmare, with people running, jumping over things, etc. One teenage boy who appeared unsupervised almost knocked me down. Got to the tapstyles pretty close to the front. At about 7:40 they started to let us in, resort guests to the left, they held us at the bridge as others have reported. A group of CMs then walked us to Pandora in a large mass to avoid further running, etc. We stayed right and walked under the FOP sign at about 7:52. We were off the ride by 8:25.

I really liked FOP. For those who are concerned, I am not small --- wear a size 18/20 --- and had no problem at all fitting. I have also had three spine surgeries (2 about 20 years ago in my lower back, and one in my neck about 3 years ago) and am susceptible to motion sickness (cannot ride Mission Space Orange at all, get sick reading in the car) and I had absolutely no issues with this ride. It was really amazing, and as others have said was smooth and not jerky.

We did NRJ right after with a very short wait, and were out of Pandora (round 1) by about 8:45; we then did Everest with no wait.

We ate at Satuli Canteen using mobile ordering at about 11:45 (right after the 11 Lion King show got out) and it worked great --- very short wait for the food even though it was very crowded, and lots of available tables. CMs were being very strict about only sitting there if you were getting food there, as others have reported. Still plenty of tables when we left about 12:10/12:15.

We also had a FP for a second FOP ride at 2:55; scanned in at 2:50 and walked out at 3:20. Then were able to get 2 banshees --- it seemed they had all colors available. We just asked for the colors we wanted after looking at them, and got them in boxes without the whole matching thing.

Tomorrow we are going to do RD again, just to do Pandora and a couple of other favorites again (without the banshee purchase --- I think, anyway!) Any questions please let me know and I'd be happy to try to answer.

A quick RD report from yesterday. We arrived at about 6:35 (EMH at 8); we were the third group there. It was not necessary to get there that early. I would say that 7 am would be fine. Bag check opened at 7:30; DH took the bags and I went through the no bag line to get to the tapstyles. That was kind of a nightmare, with people running, jumping over things, etc. One teenage boy who appeared unsupervised almost knocked me down. Got to the tapstyles pretty close to the front. At about 7:40 they started to let us in, resort guests to the left, they held us at the bridge as others have reported. A group of CMs then walked us to Pandora in a large mass to avoid further running, etc. We stayed right and walked under the FOP sign at about 7:52. We were off the ride by 8:25.

I really liked FOP. For those who are concerned, I am not small --- wear a size 18/20 --- and had no problem at all fitting. I have also had three spine surgeries (2 about 20 years ago in my lower back, and one in my neck about 3 years ago) and am susceptible to motion sickness (cannot ride Mission Space Orange at all, get sick reading in the car) and I had absolutely no issues with this ride. It was really amazing, and as others have said was smooth and not jerky.

We did NRJ right after with a very short wait, and were out of Pandora (round 1) by about 8:45; we then did Everest with no wait.

We ate at Satuli Canteen using mobile ordering at about 11:45 (right after the 11 Lion King show got out) and it worked great --- very short wait for the food even though it was very crowded, and lots of available tables. CMs were being very strict about only sitting there if you were getting food there, as others have reported. Still plenty of tables when we left about 12:10/12:15.

We also had a FP for a second FOP ride at 2:55; scanned in at 2:50 and walked out at 3:20. Then were able to get 2 banshees --- it seemed they had all colors available. We just asked for the colors we wanted after looking at them, and got them in boxes without the whole matching thing.

Tomorrow we are going to do RD again, just to do Pandora and a couple of other favorites again (without the banshee purchase --- I think, anyway!) Any questions please let me know and I'd be happy to try to answer.

Great details with the times, etc. Thanks!

Thanks for all your helpful info! Were you able to do the whole standby queue or did they divert you? I will be there next week and am trying to plan accordingly.

Thank you to all who addressed my concerns about riding FoP!! I read them out loud to my DH and he seemed to come around to my plan of getting FPs for our last day with the now strong possibility that I will ride too! I know the queue is not to be missed, but I will just save that for another trip, whenever that will be.
Who knows? Maybe I won't be able to get FPs and we will have to do stand by! It's looking like October is going to be very crowded this year- and we still don't know the hours for AK!! (I can't believe that they will stick with the current posted closing times of 7 and 7:30)
Thanks again- I am allowing myself to be more excited than worried now! Keep those reports coming!

I've seen a couple of responses that suggest not doing an 8 am tusker house reservation on a 9 am park opening. This was my plan this week so I'm trying to understand if we have breakfast where I'd come out. I was thinking we'd still mix in with the rope drop crowd right? But we'd be so far back we'd have a two hour wait? We don't have FP+ and we only have this one day at the parks. If we don't do our 8 am breakfast, what time should we arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter