Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh my, this is a very long thread. after an hour and a half of posts- i think i still need help :faint:

what i think i've got right? maybe?:
birthday in september, arriving in september
need to reach out about cake around 10 days in advance of arrival
staying at wilderness lodge
sounds like i can arranged to be delivered to the room
interested in having cake delivered on day we check in

so here is the part i'm struggling with:
1. bakery: from what i've read so far, i would love boardwalk bakery to make the cake, they seem to have the most fun, a little more reasonably priced, and be really creative. this should be possible, right?
2. size: a mini cake should be enough for two people, but i'm concerned that it will get frightfully expensive- some people were quoting $80 for a mini cake- not including delivery charges (perhaps a 5 inch is more cost effective?)
3. flavor: i'm not sure what is standard and what is based on "i asked and they said yes", but i would like to do vanilla cake with orange white chocolate frosting on the outside and orange milk chocolate frosting on the inside, those flavors are listed on page 1 of this post but does that seem reasonable? i would only want this to be in buttercream frosting, i hate fondant.
4. design: i think i read somewhere that pooh bear and friends were not possible, has that changed the way it did for star wars? classic pooh (pre red shirt) and tigger are pretty much my favorite things ever. mostly i would be interested in something that suggested classic pooh bear/tigger, the same way i've seen other boardwalk cakes suggest disney princesses.
5. process for ordering: i'm totally confused here. i know i need to contact wilderness private dining at some point and the cake hotline at some point, but i really don't understand who comes first and who comes second and how do they know i've talked to the person before?:scared:

thanks in advance for helping me figure this out!

oh my, this is a very long thread. after an hour and a half of posts- i think i still need help :faint:

what i think i've got right? maybe?:
birthday in september, arriving in september
need to reach out about cake around 10 days in advance of arrival
staying at wilderness lodge
sounds like i can arranged to be delivered to the room
interested in having cake delivered on day we check in

so here is the part i'm struggling with:
1. bakery: from what i've read so far, i would love boardwalk bakery to make the cake, they seem to have the most fun, a little more reasonably priced, and be really creative. this should be possible, right?
2. size: a mini cake should be enough for two people, but i'm concerned that it will get frightfully expensive- some people were quoting $80 for a mini cake- not including delivery charges (perhaps a 5 inch is more cost effective?)
3. flavor: i'm not sure what is standard and what is based on "i asked and they said yes", but i would like to do vanilla cake with orange white chocolate frosting on the outside and orange milk chocolate frosting on the inside, those flavors are listed on page 1 of this post but does that seem reasonable? i would only want this to be in buttercream frosting, i hate fondant.
4. design: i think i read somewhere that pooh bear and friends were not possible, has that changed the way it did for star wars? classic pooh (pre red shirt) and tigger are pretty much my favorite things ever. mostly i would be interested in something that suggested classic pooh bear/tigger, the same way i've seen other boardwalk cakes suggest disney princesses.
5. process for ordering: i'm totally confused here. i know i need to contact wilderness private dining at some point and the cake hotline at some point, but i really don't understand who comes first and who comes second and how do they know i've talked to the person before?:scared:

thanks in advance for helping me figure this out!

It is a lot to go through
1. If you want a boardwalk Bakery cake, you may have to pick it up there - on page 1 of this thread Lurkyloo posted the specifics about resorts, and cake options - she is specific, but I did have to read it - - well probably 20x! (so many choices, it took me awhile to narrow it down!)

2. google image search for the mini cakes - and again, Lurkyloo posted wedding cakes, and in that post she included a lot of mini cakes - but they may not all be available to every bakery. (but you could make an adr for Grand Floridian, or The Wave if you want a specific mini cake)

3. I hate fondant too - but the specific flavors are specific to the bakery and lurkyloo has said it doesn't hurt to ask, if they say no, then maybe rethink the choices of where and what bakery

4. Design - the other option for Pooh might be to have the 100 Acre wood theme and bring Pooh characters that you add?

5. again, post 1 listed Wilderness Lodge - I did call and left my number, they called me back within the hour! So only call WL # listed on page 1. They make out a ticket, and she was very nice as I was discussing options - flavors, and I wanted the Mickey/Minnie Anniversary white chocolate I've seen in images, and is listed - she said she didn't know they had that, asked me to hold, and came back in a few minutes quoting me the price, I determined it was "too much" (we won't eat it, I mean I think it was $45, but did I really want a $45 white chocolate souvenir? I decided no... )

good luck!

@Jen7079 What an Awesome Cake! We are decorating our Magic Bands - and dd ordered that image off etsy as a tattoo we are going to apply to her magic band!!

Ok, so I'm a bit hesitant about ordering a cake this year. I ordered a cake as always from the the contemporary and always worked with Brian. They have always been wonderful. This time we didn't work with him, not my choice. I ordered a 6" in buttercream w/ vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream in a Star Wars theme. I was told they could do 8" and to pick which star wars character I would like in 2D. The price was quoted at $65. I thought that sounded about right b/c we got a 6" haunted mansion cake a few yrs ago for about that price. I said they could do what they wanted, but I wanted Star Wars and buttercream (to keep the cost down). Then I got this that you see. Umm, it's a straight up NOT costume cake w/ a topper and some plain white stars on it. Not sure why this cost so much and it was kind of dry. To make matters worse I paid closer to $90 for it. We had to cancel our reservation and instead of telling me I could just pick it up at the restaurant, it was delivered to our room for all that extra charge. The pink fondant covered prince cake that was just posted a page or 2 back was so nice and the same price. I really want to try again b/c all of our other experiences have been great. I would like to order a 6" cake w/ a tropical feel w/ maybe the light up castle. It's our 15 yr anniversary and we were married at the Polynesian w/ the castle across the lake. I'm afraid they'll want arm and leg if I go in w/ that compared to what I got last year! Can I really just pick it up at a restaurant in the Contemporary? I would prefer that since I think we are canceling our Chef Mickey's reservation.View attachment 99958

Was that $90 after delivery free, tax and gratuity? Even then it seems like a bit much.

FWIW, I had a not great experience with my second cake order. We had loved our cake from the Contemporary bakery so much when I went back I wanted to be sure to order from there again. The quote was coming out so much lower it made me nervous and I kept asking about it, but determined because it was only 2 of us we were getting a 2 layer instead of a 4 layer. So I said okay and we had it delivered to CRT. Now mind you, it was pretty. It had flowers and a white chocolate castle on it, but it tasted NOTHING like the cake we had just a few months prior. I'm a huge cake lover and it was such a disappointment. I'm convinced it was an outside bakery cake or something like the podium cakes but dressed up with decorations. It was dry and not very tasty and the frosting was very grainy and more grocery store quality. Not something I'd waste the calories on.

I was so nervous about ordering again, but I'm glad we did because the next cake turned out fabulous. I tried to specify things that would require them to use something more than a podium or outside cake. I specified I wanted the four layers and we went with a fancy fondant decoration. Others here had suggested I go with more custom details to make sure I get a custom cake so that's what I did and it worked out.

As for prices sometimes it doesn't seem clear cut but there's no harm in asking what they can do with your price range and see what they come back with. I hope it works out better for you next time.

I'm looking to order a mini cake for my best friend's little girl in about 2 weeks. We have a breakfast reservation at Crystal Palace in MK. I am thinking of doing a 101 Dalmatians themed mini cake (if they can) since she loves puppies. Am I correct in thinking that since it isn't going to be one of the standard mini cake decorations I need to work through the Contemporary for ordering?
Here is somewhat what I am thinking, just not so many fondant puppies, what with it being a mini cake and all.
01512c9238abdc5d197d8c110711be62.jpg

thank you for your help! i can't believe i'm asking cake questions for september, but it seems like all things disney- planning well in advance lets you be totally in the moment on vacation.

It is a lot to go through
1. If you want a boardwalk Bakery cake, you may have to pick it up there

that sounds like it might just be easier- we arrive mid morning, don't plan on doing the parks that day, and i think an uber to boardwalk and back to wilderness lodge should be pretty cheap and quick! if we can check in early, we'll enjoy it in the room, and if we can't, we'll just eat it at boardwalk. the only question here is who do i call?

2. google image search for the mini cakes - and again, Lurkyloo posted wedding cakes, and in that post she included a lot of mini cakes - but they may not all be available to every bakery. (but you could make an adr for Grand Floridian, or The Wave if you want a specific mini cake)
3. I hate fondant too - but the specific flavors are specific to the bakery and lurkyloo has said it doesn't hurt to ask, if they say no, then maybe rethink the choices of where and what bakery

it does seem that it's all really up to who you talk to at the time...

4. Design - the other option for Pooh might be to have the 100 Acre wood theme and bring Pooh characters that you add?

i was hoping they could just use subtle colors to suggest it so they don't run into trouble- like pooh bear colors and maybe adding a couple little honeybees around the cake. i have some example pictures but i keep running into conflicting information about who has email options and who only has phone numbers or maybe if you pass a phone screen then you get an email? but only after you do the secret handshake and answer five disney related trivia questions correctly before the buzzer goes off :p

5. again, post 1 listed Wilderness Lodge - I did call and left my number, they called me back within the hour! So only call WL # listed on page 1. They make out a ticket, and she was very nice as I was discussing options - flavors, and I wanted the Mickey/Minnie Anniversary white chocolate I've seen in images, and is listed - she said she didn't know they had that, asked me to hold, and came back in a few minutes quoting me the price, I determined it was "too much" (we won't eat it, I mean I think it was $45, but did I really want a $45 white chocolate souvenir? I decided no... )

okay so if we choose to go pick up the cake, we can skip this part, right?

We're staying at VGF in September and my Husband's birthday is the 2nd Friday we're there. We have a tradition of always having cupcakes for breakfast on our birthdays. I thought it might be nice to have a cake delivered to the room to surprise him. I was hoping for a Thursday night delivery so we can have it Friday morning. I like the idea of a mini 2 tiered cake since it's just the 2 of us. So I do have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

1.) Can you get the cakes delivered to the room if you're not there at VGF? I could leave an envelope with a tip for them.
2.) Do I have any design choices with the 2-tiered mini cake? My husband loves Star Wars, Hercules, and Lady and the Tramp, so I thought it would be cute if they could theme it based off one of those.
3.) How early should I call to order it?

I'm not too fussed on the flavors, I just want to do something nice for DH as it's been a bit of a rough past year and even though this trip is basically his birthday gift, I still want something nice for him on the day of.

Thanks for any help!

I have the email for Brian at Contemporary. I might go with Polynesian Ohana's instead. That I understand would be the Grand Floridian. Is there an email for contacting GF or is it just by phone? Thank you

I have the email for Brian at Contemporary. I might go with Polynesian Ohana's instead. That I understand would be the Grand Floridian. Is there an email for contacting GF or is it just by phone? Thank you
Only CR and MK have public email addresses, so you would need to call.

Ok, so I'm a bit hesitant about ordering a cake this year. I ordered a cake as always from the the contemporary and always worked with Brian. They have always been wonderful. This time we didn't work with him, not my choice. I ordered a 6" in buttercream w/ vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream in a Star Wars theme. I was told they could do 8" and to pick which star wars character I would like in 2D. The price was quoted at $65. I thought that sounded about right b/c we got a 6" haunted mansion cake a few yrs ago for about that price. I said they could do what they wanted, but I wanted Star Wars and buttercream (to keep the cost down). Then I got this that you see. Umm, it's a straight up NOT costume cake w/ a topper and some plain white stars on it. Not sure why this cost so much and it was kind of dry. To make matters worse I paid closer to $90 for it. We had to cancel our reservation and instead of telling me I could just pick it up at the restaurant, it was delivered to our room for all that extra charge. The pink fondant covered prince cake that was just posted a page or 2 back was so nice and the same price. I really want to try again b/c all of our other experiences have been great. I would like to order a 6" cake w/ a tropical feel w/ maybe the light up castle. It's our 15 yr anniversary and we were married at the Polynesian w/ the castle across the lake. I'm afraid they'll want arm and leg if I go in w/ that compared to what I got last year! Can I really just pick it up at a restaurant in the Contemporary? I would prefer that since I think we are canceling our Chef Mickey's reservation.View attachment 99958
Ok, this is a little of what I am afraid of. I requested special flavors (chocolate cake with peanut butter and chocolate ganache filling), so I am hoping they can't really just stick something on a regular cake and get away with it.

1.) Can you get the cakes delivered to the room if you're not there at VGF? I could leave an envelope with a tip for them.

Yes, as long as you are already checked in.

2.) Do I have any design choices with the 2-tiered mini cake? My husband loves Star Wars, Hercules, and Lady and the Tramp, so I thought it would be cute if they could theme it based off one of those.

You can try asking!

3.) How early should I call to order it?

I usually call about 2 weeks out, but the contact at the GF can be hard to get hold of, so you might want to leave a little more time.

I thought I saw that cakes could be delivered to rooms at POR. I work lots of nights so sometimes I read just some resorts and think it is for the resort I'm staying at.

I thought I saw that cakes could be delivered to rooms at POR. I work lots of nights so sometimes I read just some resorts and think it is for the resort I'm staying at.

At resorts that don't have Private Dining, it's hit or miss. The Value resorts will dig up someone to bring a cake to your room, but a Old Key West makes you go pick it up. It's best to call the number listed in Post #2 and see what they tell you.

Thanks to this thread- just ordered a surprise anniversary cake for my husband.
Boardwalk Bakery is delivering it to Flying Fish.

$73 total if anyone is looking for a recent price to get an idea for their own cake.

Hi DisneyPeachNJ! :wave2:

Do you mind sharing some details behind the cake you ordered - size, buttercream or fondant, special fillings/flavors, etc... Curious as to what type of cake $73 will get you....

I plan on ordering something for just DH & I to celebrate (i.e., thank him) becoming DVC members at BCV. I can't decide if I want to order a mini-cake with some tuxedo strawberries from Private Dining and have it delivered to the room or walk to pick up a "surprise" at BB.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you are already checked in.

You can try asking!

I usually call about 2 weeks out, but the contact at the GF can be hard to get hold of, so you might want to leave a little more time.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter