Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I don't think the races will happen, but I think in the next week you will get a better idea of what is happening. At some point the Government has to find a way out of this. I think any guidance out there right now, including timeframes will change. So many states have shut down everything, but they can't do that forever without massive impacts. So, I think in the next week or two you will start seeing the dialogue change to say we have succeeded in flattening the curve and its time to get back to normal. Many of the school systems are shut down this week and next week. My theory is that this coming weekend to early next week you will see the ban on restaurant dining rooms get lifted, then schools return the following week.

If it follows that timeline, I could see Disney opening back up in the first week or two of April, if they want to. They may not want to just because everyone is cancelling all their plans to travel and the resorts/parks will be empty and it may cost Disney more to open than stay closed for a few more weeks with a lot of publicity about reopening on some date where people rebook their stays, etc. But, there are a lot of variables out there. I think this is very close to 9/11 and the Government pushed pretty hard that we had to get back to some kind of normal. So, they may really push for things to reopen quickly. But it is all speculation.

I don’t know in what universe they hold this race, so I would plan as if it was already cancelled. I wouldn’t try to plan anything in the near future either as things are still too uncertain. I am still kind of shocked at how many here still think there is a hope even though they haven’t announced it is officially cancelled.

We cancelled our DVC and will sort out points when member services isn’t bombarded. Will of course cancel the airline, but they are getting hammered so will wait to try that call. The only thing is the race itself and I am sure they will come up with a plan that gives us options but it won’t be to run this race at Disney this year.

I don’t think they are going to have it either which is why I think they need to just go on and announce it and not leave it in limbo.

I realistically think the parks will NOT reopen April 1st and instead if we’re going well and things are working great reopen between around Mother’s Day weekend... if things spiral worse reopen closer to late June/early July

I realistically think the parks will NOT reopen April 1st and instead if we’re going well and things are working great reopen between around Mother’s Day weekend... if things spiral worse reopen closer to late June/early July

that is what I think too especially with the cdc 8 week thing. Kentucky derby in May just postponed.

while rundisney communication can be bad they normally do the right thing on cancellations.

There have only been two cancellations for RunDisney where they already had money from participants. The 2017 Half Marathon that was cancelled about 12 hours prior to start time and the 2018 Star Wars Disneyland Light Side when they had let the 2017 participants sign up early for the races. They did not do the right thing for the 2018 Light Side participants in a timely manner. They kept delaying DVC/AP/Regular registrations with no answers despite them having to know it wasn't going to happen. People booked hotels and airfare as nothing was stated otherwise. They didn't announce the cancellation until October 18th, 2017 when it was leaked through the Orange County newspaper. That was the day they finally had their press-release online and sent the email out. They refunded the fees through Active on October 19th. No discounts on future races. No assistance getting into other races.

There was a reddit thread on rundisney then that talked about the races at Disneyland and how some of the problems were due to the homeless camps near the parks and the safety issues that occured because of that. If anyone wants to read for historic information.

It will be interesting to see what they do when this is cancelled. (The new CDC guidelines and new declarations from the Florida gov't have solidified it being done) They already have sunk costs into this event unlike the Disneyland ones in 2018 but less than the 2017 Half Marathon which was fully intended to occur until weather said otherwise.

As someone coming from day one of a shelter in place (SF Bay Area), I don't think there is any universe (or galaxy, LOL) where this race is going to happen. No amount of magical thinking is going to make this one go away. I see pictures of the Spring Breakers on the Florida beaches, and I want to cry. People aren't getting it = longer time to flatten the curve.

I'm expecting this to be cancelled, I'm actually to the point where I prefer that they cancel it. Even so, I still can't get a fastpass for FoP.

FOP's easy, now Mickey and Minnie's runaway railway is hard. Those fastpasses, not only does the race need to be canceled, but also the park closed and even then they may need to be pried from my fingers.

This is my first runDisney event, I was at Epcot last year during the wine and dine half, and I caught the bug (bad choice of words) to run then. I was also wise enough to sign up for this year's wine and dine half early in the process.

I think I'm mentally prepared to run the race, but I'm trying not to be selfish and know that it will certainly be canceled. I have made sure that I'm secure in my journey where I will keep on training and I plan on running a 13.1 on race day, somewhere / virtually.

I was able to get a FoP, Runaway Railway, Smugglers run and Mine train fast passes. Im trying to not be selfish and know that for the greater good, this event will cancel.

May the force be with you all, I appreciate the inspiration from this group and look forward what is next!

This is my first runDisney event, I was at Epcot last year during the wine and dine half, and I caught the bug (bad choice of words) to run then. I was also wise enough to sign up for this year's wine and dine half early in the process.

I think I'm mentally prepared to run the race, but I'm trying not to be selfish and know that it will certainly be canceled. I have made sure that I'm secure in my journey where I will keep on training and I plan on running a 13.1 on race day, somewhere / virtually.

I was able to get a FoP, Runaway Railway, Smugglers run and Mine train fast passes. Im trying to not be selfish and know that for the greater good, this event will cancel.

May the force be with you all, I appreciate the inspiration from this group and look forward what is next!

DO keep at it. rundisney races are a lot of fun and if it isn't until W&D when you can do one you'll still have a good time so keep up with your training and be ready for then

I know there are some here hoping beyond hope that this race will go as planned. There is just no way that is going to happen. Disney will not be open for some time as evidenced by the closures, guidance from the government on gathering sizes, etc. So they haven’t announced it yet, that is not going to change reality and is probably because they want to have all the issues planned out before they announce.

Even AMC theaters (including the one is Disney Springs) are closing for the next 6-12 weeks, NOT days. This is going to last into the summer and I know it sucks but unless you are local to Disney World and don’t have to worry about travel and hotel, there just really is no reason to keep fretting over planning details like fast passes, restaurants, etc. for a trip anytime soon.

Its time to move on with our lives, train for a race in the fall at best, and wait for things to be announced so we know what our options are. I have had some races announce days before the race and some over a month before the race. Just had a race cancel that wasn’t scheduled until the end of April. They announced it but have no idea what they are going to do so I think runDisney is avoiding that scenario.

I know there are some here hoping beyond hope that this race will go as planned. There is just no way that is going to happen. Disney will not be open for some time as evidenced by the closures, guidance from the government on gathering sizes, etc. So they haven’t announced it yet, that is not going to change reality and is probably because they want to have all the issues planned out before they announce.

Even AMC theaters (including the one is Disney Springs) are closing for the next 6-12 weeks, NOT days. This is going to last into the summer and I know it sucks but unless you are local to Disney World and don’t have to worry about travel and hotel, there just really is no reason to keep fretting over planning details like fast passes, restaurants, etc. for a trip anytime soon.

Its time to move on with our lives, train for a race in the fall at best, and wait for things to be announced so we know what our options are. I have had some races announce days before the race and some over a month before the race. Just had a race cancel that wasn’t scheduled until the end of April. They announced it but have no idea what they are going to do so I think runDisney is avoiding that scenario.

Rteetz just posted a tweet over in news that the construction workers on avengers in disneyland have been sent home until june at the earliest.

My May 9th race (which is in conjunction with a local festival) has been postponed till a date to be named later once a new date is announced if you can’t attend the options are:
-transfer to another race this year (the only one I’m not signed up for is the same day as the wine & dine 10k)
-transfer bib to another runner who can make the date
-give your fee as a tax deductible donation to the running club
-get a refund
(This race was $35 vs the mega $$$$ disney costs)

Here in California a major marathon, Orange County Marathon, set for first weekend of May have already decided and alerted runners that they will cancel. The options were a virtual run and get the medals or defer to next year for no additional cost. They indicate additional information to follow, but at least they advise runners about the cancellation.

This maybe the industry standard and what rundisney should do.. first make the announcement that everybody knows is coming and tell the details later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter