Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I really wish they'd just make an announcement now if the race is truly canceled and the parks will be closed.

I'm almost 31 days out from my DVC reservation and would like to avoid wasting multiple hours of my life on the phone getting the points to be moved out of holding...

I fully agree with this. I’m in the same boat and don’t know if I should cancel or not. Don’t want to be stuck with points in holding or points expiring at the end of use year. Hoping runDisney will announce something soon.

I really wish they'd just make an announcement now if the race is truly canceled and the parks will be closed.

I'm almost 31 days out from my DVC reservation and would like to avoid wasting multiple hours of my life on the phone getting the points to be moved out of holding...
I'm in the opposite camp. I think the least disruption for the most people is that the race goes on and the parks reopen, so I would hope that they postpone the decision until it becomes clear either one way or the other, or if it's still unclear then they've reached the point where they have to cancel to make sure they err on the side of caution.

I feel pretty confident that no matter when they decide, if they cancel, the policies related to refunds or moving to a future race date will be fair to those of us who have to change their plans. So I'm not worried about losing funds, I just want them to give us the best chance possible given the circumstances to run the race as scheduled.

I think DVC has announced they are waving the holding policy while the parks are closed.
Yup, I got an email from them stating this the other day, but the points will still expire at the end of the use year and I am not sure I will be able to use them again. Would be nice if they let us bank them especially since I borrowed from next year to take a second trip this year.

After seeing that the CP CM were sent home, I really don't think there is any way the parks will be open anytime soon, and I expect them to cancel the race. I am super bummed, I was really looking forward to my first run Disney event and doing some different things on this trip, which was going to be my first no kids trip in 11 years.

I think DVC has announced they are waving the holding policy while the parks are closed.

There would still be a DVC issue if the parks opened but the races were canceled. I didn't use DVC points for this trip because it was so many for just a solo run. I agree you can't depend on DVC to be flexible if it is an event cancellation, particularly if they've had to be flexible with the a TON of points just the month before.

So, uh... remember the dumpster fire of Run Disney communication regarding the 2018 Star Wars Light Side weekend? They led us on for something like 6 months after people registered early.

I hadn't thought about this in so long! You are right though. Now I'll expect to hear something the night before the Expo opens. ;-)

Dealing with uncertainty is one of my least favorite things and one that I have a very difficult time with. However, in this instance, I am ok with the uncertainty. There’s only one announcement that could be made right now: cancellation. Although I fully expect the races to be cancelled (rescheduling is a pipe dream), I’m holding out hope that maybe something breaks with the onset of spring and the races can go on. As long as there hasn’t been an announcement, it isn’t cancelled. “So you’re saying there’s a chance...”. Disney isn’t going to hang us out to dry on reservations and cancellation fees, so let’s just see what happens.

There would still be a DVC issue if the parks opened but the races were canceled.

I think that scenario is unlikely.
I think it is more likely the parks will remain closed and the race cancelled. If the parks are by some crazy chance open I expect the race to happen, unless they have problems getting volunteers. If the parks are open and the race cancelled, I'd still go.

I think that scenario is unlikely.
I think it is more likely the parks will remain closed and the race cancelled. If the parks are by some crazy chance open I expect the race to happen, unless they have problems getting volunteers. If the parks are open and the race cancelled, I'd still go.

I agree that it's more likely, but the risk still exists for DVC points so it seems reasonable that those owners are worried.

I agree that it's more likely, but the risk still exists for DVC points so it seems reasonable that those owners are worried.

I am one of those owners, I used points.
If the parks are open and the race cancelled, I'll still go and just end up drinking more then originally planned. I will lose the points though if I have to reschedule because I am not sure I can use them again this year.

Last edited:
This is all very stressful and sad as I registered for this and Paris in Sept. And while I'm registered for the 10k W&D I didn't register for the half as I wanted to be able to enjoy the Wine part of the weekend with friends. If SW weekend is canceled there goes my shot at my 1st and prob only C2C challenge :/ I'm a Corona drinker but man this virus and I are NOT friends. LOL

In the event someone at rD actually looks through these posts to see what the people think.... just adding my vote for mailing everything and getting the registration refunded. Because at this point all that stuff is already done anyway, better than throwing it away. I know that it's not nearly the same, but even if its not at Disney, completing the distances on your own is still an accomplishment to be proud of.

And PrincessV is right. Postponing it until later would be very difficult cause it gets volcanic HOT here the closer you get to June. Marathon weekend is a prime example. Runners were going down at the finish and that was January.

If the parks are by some crazy chance open I expect the race to happen, unless they have problems getting volunteers.

I think it's very likely to be a problem. The vast majority of rD volunteers are retired older people who fall in the "high risk" age bracket. I'm sure that many of them wouldn't want to risk it.

I'm registered to volunteer on Friday, and still haven't received the notice in the mail confirming my shift. I imagine that's a bit of a sign as usually those are mailed ~30 days before the race.

I say that now, but of course I'll get it in the mail tomorrow or something. XD

I resigned myself to the fact that my registration will be deferred to April 2021. At least there is plenty of time to rehab my hip

I think there’s precedence for what they would do when they cancel...if memory serves me right, they gave three options when they had to cancel the half marathon for marathon weekend.. 1. Refund in form of a gift card.. 2. Some kind of park pass.. or 3. Entry to run the marathon.

Obviously option 3 will not be there. But 1 and 2 could work but with different distances you probably can’t give out passes. So I guess if anything.. a refund through the form of gift card? Also, they gave out the medals and T-shirts, but the runners were already there so I don’t know if mailing would be the option. Interesting to see what they will do though.

I think there’s precedence for what they would do when they cancel...if memory serves me right, they gave three options when they had to cancel the half marathon for marathon weekend.. 1. Refund in form of a gift card.. 2. Some kind of park pass.. or 3. Entry to run the marathon.

Obviously option 3 will not be there. But 1 and 2 could work but with different distances you probably can’t give out passes. So I guess if anything.. a refund through the form of gift card? Also, they gave out the medals and T-shirts, but the runners were already there so I don’t know if mailing would be the option. Interesting to see what they will do though.
I'm not running this year but was there for the 1/2 cancellation in 2017. The only thing that I will say is that the 2017 1/2 marathon cancellation came less than 12 hours before the start so all runners were "onsite" or close. It caught everyone by surprise and RD did the right thing in my mind. This one poses a dilemma in trying to predict the future both from a RunDisney and Runner perspective. I have an opinion on what I think should be done but to be honest since I'm not running it I think it's inappropriate for me to state that.

For 3 they could offer option to defer to another race ... either SW 2021 or possibly even W&D or marathon weekend.

For 3 they could offer option to defer to another race ... either SW 2021 or possibly even W&D or marathon weekend.

I‘m guessing that MW, Princess, SW or W&D 2021 could all be viable options. I think W&D 2021would be off the table with its sell out and the fact that it’s already the lowest capacity race weekend IIRC. I don’t buy the speculation that they ”reserved” capacity anticipating a SW cancellation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter