Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came in from trying to fit a walk/run in today between shopping, cooking and the next snowstorm. Did 4 very sloooow miles. I'm blaming it on two factors: the snow and ice that is still on the ground in many places and last night's christmas party with too many cookies! Hope everyone has wonderful day tomorrow, whether it is Christmas for you or just a normal day in your life!
Celebrate all of life's good things.

Meg

Merry Christmas Princesses! If you don't celebrate Christmas- Happy Saturday!

My Princess running partner (DD#2) is getting her Tiara and a Frog to Kiss for Christmas from a mystery sender today for Christmas (Ok so it's probably not going to be such a mystery really - but fun anyway), to help psyc up for the Princess Marathon- especially since she now lives in Connecticut and we live in Indiana we definately don't train together.

As for the bad weather running- I admit (freely and happily) to being a Weather Wuss! If it's below 50 for training I go indoors! As much as I hate running 11 laps to make a mile at our local Y I hate the cold more LOL.

I hope to see some of you in Feb.

I've been lurking while I've been training for the 1/2 marathon. I finally have a question. I did nine miles on the treadmill today 8 mile walk/run and 1 mile cool down.
My question is : It seems that while I was running I ended up getting a bad blister under my big toe. It is in a place that I can only discribe as the 'toe pit' :)
Do you think this was caused by my shoes or socks, and what can I do to make it better? Tomorrow is my off day, but I would like to get four miles in on Monday. Will it be better by then??

-nat

I've been lurking while I've been training for the 1/2 marathon. I finally have a question. I did nine miles on the treadmill today 8 mile walk/run and 1 mile cool down.
My question is : It seems that while I was running I ended up getting a bad blister under my big toe. It is in a place that I can only discribe as the 'toe pit' :)
Do you think this was caused by my shoes or socks, and what can I do to make it better? Tomorrow is my off day, but I would like to get four miles in on Monday. Will it be better by then??

-nat

Blisters are usually always caused by socks. Try some that are not cotton - ones that are especially for running as cotton tends to chafe and cause fun blisters. I like the padded ones that you can get at your local sporting goods store - but there are so many varieties. For race day, I always double up with my running socks but I only do that sometimes during training. It all depends on your preferences. I prefer more cushioning. Oh, and try some anti-chafing gel as well before putting on your socks. It helps, but it is more temporary I have found.

Blisters are usually always caused by socks. Try some that are not cotton - ones that are especially for running as cotton tends to chafe and cause fun blisters. I like the padded ones that you can get at your local sporting goods store - but there are so many varieties. For race day, I always double up with my running socks but I only do that sometimes during training. It all depends on your preferences. I prefer more cushioning. Oh, and try some anti-chafing gel as well before putting on your socks. It helps, but it is more temporary I have found.

Thanks!!
I'm going to stop by the running store tomorrow.
-nat

Thanks!!
I'm going to stop by the running store tomorrow.
-nat

But is can also be shoe related, especially if you do not have enough room in the toe box of the shoe. Take your socks and shoes to the running store and hve them look.

But is can also be shoe related, especially if you do not have enough room in the toe box of the shoe. Take your socks and shoes to the running store and hve them look.

That's what happened to me when I got new running shoes for the first time. Ended up with bloody socks from blisters after even a short 3 mile run. Turns out I needed running shoes that are 2.5 sizes bigger than my walking shoes.

I did get sized for running shoes. I was wearing a 9 and they told me to buy a 10. :) I have a bunch of room! The shoes have been awesome so far, but I bought them in August and am hoping I do not have too many miles on them already. I can't afford new shoes right now, new socks I can manage!

Here's hoping it's the socks!!!

-nat

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas! My parents gave my a very nice gortex jacket and running socks :) The snow has not hit my area yet; I'm a little disaponted, I was looking forward to running in the snow in my new jacket.

Just think in two months we will all be in WDW!

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas! My parents gave my a very nice gortex jacket and running socks :) The snow has not hit my area yet; I'm a little disaponted, I was looking forward to running in the snow in my new jacket.

Just think in two months we will all be in WDW!

WOOHOO....got to love running gear for Christmas!

Hubby got me 2 pairs of running shoes which I love and which will be worn at the Princess Half!:banana:

Did a couple of miles today in the snow (light) and wind (stiff). Time was O.K. Still a lot of snow and ice on the ground from the last several snows. At least we didn't get what the eastern seaboard is getting. When I got home, did a pretty good fitness workout on the Wii. Hope everyone is fitting in their training sessions. I threw away a bunch of cookies and candy that people brought to our holiday party. Back to a somewhat sensible eating routine. Tomorrow, I am going to Fleet Feet to look at some new shoes for the Princess.

Meg

thanks rupert b and meg. i know that my doc is right and valid, it was just tough news to swallow. i finally can do something like run, and then it's taken away. i would love to still walk it, but i know i definitely need clearance that the distance is ok. if anything i would still love to at least do the royal family 5k that weekend, since i know i'm able to do that. we will see! thank you guys for all of your support and encouragement. it is so nice to have people like you guys, looking out for me and keeping my spirits up! thanks a ton :hug:

jess princess:

Jess: I have been thinking about you. What did the doctor say about walking the race? Hope you read this and let me know.

Meg

Two months from today...we will be finished with the Princess---or at least I expect you'll be entering Epcot toward that last 1.5 miles!! :banana::banana::banana:With a start time posted of 5:45am :scared1:, everyone should cross the start by 6:15!

Just wanted to encourage you first-timers...keep training, keep moving. The northeast snow will make it hard to get any running in outside for a few days at least. Do some shoveling and get to a gym if you can. I know we all can do this. When I was training for the 2009, it was this week that I went into panic mode because I had my kids home, couldn't get my runs in, it was freezing---total discouragement. BUT...I did it and I really was a total couch-to-half-marathon (over 8 months!) beginner.

(ok...I have to admit that I wrote that whole paragraph to give myself a boost ;) but I hope it helps someone else too)

Off to shovel! I do love the snow but I more love the 6-8 inch storms, over a foot just adds much work. Good calorie burning though...if I can get myself out there!

Have a great Monday!

~~~Jennifer~~~

Two months from today...we will be finished with the Princess---or at least I expect you'll be entering Epcot toward that last 1.5 miles!! :banana::banana::banana:With a start time posted of 5:45am :scared1:, everyone should cross the start by 6:15!

Off to shovel! I do love the snow but I more love the 6-8 inch storms, over a foot just adds much work. Good calorie burning though...if I can get myself out there!

Have a great Monday!

~~~Jennifer~~~

OMG - I didn't realize how close we are to the race!! :scared1:

...no run for me today. No sign of a plow yet and below zero temps, plus a wind chill. And happily have a 15 year old DS who is out there shovelling while DH is manning the snowblower...:goodvibes

Jude! :wave2: Hope that you aren't snowed in for too long!

Come say hi on the BL alumni thread. :santa: We miss you and Jen! :flower3:

OMG - I didn't realize how close we are to the race!! :scared1:

...no run for me today. No sign of a plow yet and below zero temps, plus a wind chill. And happily have a 15 year old DS who is out there shovelling while DH is manning the snowblower...:goodvibes

I'm with ya! I can tolerate the cold if I am running, but the wind is another story altogether!

Jude! :wave2: Hope that you aren't snowed in for too long!

Come say hi on the BL alumni thread. :santa: We miss you and Jen! :flower3:

I'll be back, Li!!! I was away for a week and was overwhelmed when I tried to catch up...and then kept putting it off. Today is a great day to start, I think!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I can't believe we are so close, I am starting to freak out. I can't believe I let myself get talked into this!!:confused3

Treadmill broke yesterday and when I called today, I was told that the replace anything, no cost anything warranty expired yesterday! So trying to figure out what to do with this situation.

Still having trouble with my knees so have been doing more walking than running.

AH, AH, the sweepers!!:scared1:

Kelley

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter