Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you all make your long runs work when it is so icy outside. The roads by me are just not safe to run on yet, and the thought of a long run on the DREADMILL is unthinkable!
I am from Northern WI. It's cold here, but I still much prefer to run outside when I can. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill last night. I hope to NOT have to run more then that on my treadmill. I have nice cold weather running gear and if the windchill isn't to bad, I will run in about 15º degree weather and I stay comfortable at that temp. I do wear Yaktraks and I love them. I don't even notice them, and it makes my outdoor running safer.

I finally did it! I registered! It's at 82% and I told myself, "Don't wait any longer!" Last day with free dining plan option too!

DD and I registered last night! We are going to be perfect princesses. Have to keep this message short, since I am typing it with a grand daughter sitting on my lap. The following smilie is one that she wants me to put in my message.:santa:

I have been scoping out this site since my skinny friend registered me for this race as an early Christmas present. I am very nervous as this is my first race. I did a walking race (5.7 miles) this summer, but wasn't hoofing it. I am trying the interval training. I completed a 5 K to weekends ago in 47 mins and 10 seconds. I have nightmares about those silly sweepers!!!!!

I have been scoping out this site since my skinny friend registered me for this race as an early Christmas present. I am very nervous as this is my first race. I did a walking race (5.7 miles) this summer, but wasn't hoofing it. I am trying the interval training. I completed a 5 K to weekends ago in 47 mins and 10 seconds. I have nightmares about those silly sweepers!!!!!

Welcome and congrats on your 5k! Just keep on training. The interval thing works well for me. Just got to get out and do it.

Welcome and congrats on your 5k! Just keep on training. The interval thing works well for me. Just got to get out and do it.

Thanks for the encouragement. My next big hurdle is to fit in 4 miles this weekend.

Do any of you ever run/walk together, as my skinny friend will be finished way before me! :)

Thanks for the encouragement. My next big hurdle is to fit in 4 miles this weekend.

Do any of you ever run/walk together, as my skinny friend will be finished way before me! :)

You are more than welcome to join my group, if you are not fast! I am still recovering from a shin stress fracture and have not run since Nov 14th, so I will likely be running/walking with a hopeful completion time somewhere between 3 and 3:30.

Welcome! Congrats on your 5K. I am slow.. I am a run/walker. about 14-15 min pace. I am and right there with you on the sweepers.
I am just going to cross my fingers and hope they don't see me!!!:lmao:

Oh my daughter would be so jealous! She chose to play the tuba because she wants to be in the Ohio State Tuba line. Her dream is to dot the "i" !!!

It has been an awesome experience for my son. He graduated on Dec 12th and will be heading down to WDW in mid January to start his Disney career in Park Ops.

Interestingly enough, one of this year's female I dotters is a huge Disney fan who is majoring in zoology. Her dream job is to work at Animal Kingdom.

For kids who live so far away - it is neat to see their Disney dreams. My son's are about to come true!

My birthday is also Christmas Eve, and my name is Kathryn (close!). Weird!

Happy early Birthday! :goodvibes

Happy Birthday to you too Hockey Kat! Getting in my message catch ups today before I get into the final Christmas/birthday push. I make it a point to be completely finished with all holiday prep before I go to bed on the 23rd. That way, my birthday is for relaxing!

Hi, All,
So fun to see new people on here...WELCOME! I'm so thankful to have this thread to refer to and ask questions. I thought of a couple things that might help some of you...

As I look through my pictures from the race the last two times, I realize that most of my pictures were taken at MK or after. If you are worried about being swept, I'd encourage you to push yourself a bit the first 4 miles (don't go crazy, you do have to finish) and don't stop for pictures until you get into MK. The best pictures I have were just after mile 11 the first year with Tink and this year at about mile 9 (I was hurting and walking) I saw Jack Sparrow walking toward me down the middle of the road--got a great picture and a great morale boost!! So, if you push yourself for faster non-stop miles at the beginning, you'll get ahead of the sweepers and there will be LOTS of photo ops during the last half of the race! Don't forget to really try to get to the front of your corral at the start...without trampling any other princesses, of course!

Second...I did some DISCOUNT TICKET research today. For those wondering, here are the basics:
In your confirmation e-mail from Active.com, there is a password. You can log onto Disneysports with that or call the iRun line. The discount is pretty decent for Disney, I think. I mean, I'm always a little amazed at how much we pay to go into the parks but this is the life of a Disney lover. We are planning for a 6-Day Park Hopper. It will be $984.08 from Disney Sports and $1236.47 from the regular website for the 4 of us (saving over $250!). It looks like online, there is no 1-day option. So, a two-day regular ticket is $111.83 and a 2-day PH is $129.83 through Disney Sports. I don't have the regular prices for these but the PH savings is significant. (Again, significant being a relative term; but for Disney it is)

Hope this info helps someone. It is snowing here in MA; I suppose the treadmill is going to become my very good friend in the next couple weeks! I hope everyone's training goes well as we head toward the 2-months-to-go mark.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it) and a Happy 2011 to all!

~~~Jennifer~~~

I am registering for this right now, and need to choose a shirt size.
Can anyone help me with the sizing? I am a M/L (10) in normal dress sizes.

Hello everyone,
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I just did my first 10 miles last weekend and am VERY excited about this race. It will be my first one!
I have two DD ages 7/8; is there anything for them to "do" during the race while waiting for me. Is there entertainment etc for the spectaors at the start/finsh lines?

Any idea what the deadine is to register for the kids races on Saturday?

Beverly in Colorado
We will be spending the week before in FL with a trip to Discovery Cove on Friday! I can't wait!

Hi, All,
So fun to see new people on here...WELCOME! I'm so thankful to have this thread to refer to and ask questions. I thought of a couple things that might help some of you...

As I look through my pictures from the race the last two times, I realize that most of my pictures were taken at MK or after. If you are worried about being swept, I'd encourage you to push yourself a bit the first 4 miles (don't go crazy, you do have to finish) and don't stop for pictures until you get into MK. The best pictures I have were just after mile 11 the first year with Tink and this year at about mile 9 (I was hurting and walking) I saw Jack Sparrow walking toward me down the middle of the road--got a great picture and a great morale boost!! So, if you push yourself for faster non-stop miles at the beginning, you'll get ahead of the sweepers and there will be LOTS of photo ops during the last half of the race! Don't forget to really try to get to the front of your corral at the start...without trampling any other princesses, of course!

Second...I did some DISCOUNT TICKET research today. For those wondering, here are the basics:
In your confirmation e-mail from Active.com, there is a password. You can log onto Disneysports with that or call the iRun line. The discount is pretty decent for Disney, I think. I mean, I'm always a little amazed at how much we pay to go into the parks but this is the life of a Disney lover. We are planning for a 6-Day Park Hopper. It will be $984.08 from Disney Sports and $1236.47 from the regular website for the 4 of us (saving over $250!). It looks like online, there is no 1-day option. So, a two-day regular ticket is $111.83 and a 2-day PH is $129.83 through Disney Sports. I don't have the regular prices for these but the PH savings is significant. (Again, significant being a relative term; but for Disney it is)

Hope this info helps someone. It is snowing here in MA; I suppose the treadmill is going to become my very good friend in the next couple weeks! I hope everyone's training goes well as we head toward the 2-months-to-go mark.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it) and a Happy 2011 to all!

~~~Jennifer~~~

Thanks for the tip on the pictures Jennifer. I am a slower run/walker.

I can wait ! 64 days!

Kat -- is your group large? I would love to have someone to encourage and push me! Thank you very much for the offer. We will have to discuss more later. I haven't ran/walked in 4 days . . . twisted my knee. Seeing the ortho tomorrow to check out a 10 year old plate in ankle and get the go ahead to continue training. Keep your fingers crossed.

Merry Christmas.

Kelley

p.s. Thank you everyone else for the warm welcome. The advice about getting ahead those first 4 miles . . . I like that idea.

I am from Northern WI. It's cold here, but I still much prefer to run outside when I can. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill last night. I hope to NOT have to run more then that on my treadmill. I have nice cold weather running gear and if the windchill isn't to bad, I will run in about 15º degree weather and I stay comfortable at that temp. I do wear Yaktraks and I love them. I don't even notice them, and it makes my outdoor running safer.

Does there have to be 100% snow (or ice) on the road to wear the yaktraks? Just wondering if it is harmful to the yaktraks if you run on part asphalt or cement.

You are more than welcome to join my group, if you are not fast! I am still recovering from a shin stress fracture and have not run since Nov 14th, so I will likely be running/walking with a hopeful completion time somewhere between 3 and 3:30.

I'm in this group too - so there will be alot of company! :woohoo:

Kat -- is your group large? I would love to have someone to encourage and push me! Thank you very much for the offer. We will have to discuss more later. I haven't ran/walked in 4 days . . . twisted my knee. Seeing the ortho tomorrow to check out a 10 year old plate in ankle and get the go ahead to continue training. Keep your fingers crossed.

Merry Christmas.

Kelley

p.s. Thank you everyone else for the warm welcome. The advice about getting ahead those first 4 miles . . . I like that idea.

Hard to say at this point... I know there will be at least 5-10 but not all of us are at the same pace. I am recovering from a stress fracture so will be taking it very easy.

My motto is the more the merrier! My running group had 6 of us in the same general pace for the OBX half I did in Nov, and it really helped to have the group.

Does there have to be 100% snow (or ice) on the road to wear the yaktraks? Just wondering if it is harmful to the yaktraks if you run on part asphalt or cement.

Last year I wore mine on patches of asphalt. I don't think it hurt the yaktraks any, but it did feel weird. I'd rather wear them to be safe and ruin them than not have them and slip.

This is my 3rd year with them, and I do run on patches without snow and ice, and they have held up well. You can break a coil if you run on just asphalt a lot. I feel much safer running with my yaktraks on in the snow and ice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter