NW PA to Lorton for the Auto Train- worried about time and traffic!

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
We're taking the auto train next Friday, coming from NW PA. Mapquest says it should take 5 hrs 36 minutes. We will have to stop once along the way and feed our 6 month old twins, which will likely take a full hour. I'm paranoid about missing the train, since we've never done it and don't know the area at all, and I am figuring that the traffic when you get down toward DC could be terrible. I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with coming from that direction has an idea how much time to allow for traffic? Do you think we should leave super early in the morning, or is traffic so unpredictable that we would be better off going the night before and getting a hotel near the auto train? The issue with the night before is we wouldn't get to the hotel until like 2-3 AM, but I would assume traffic would be a non issue then! Any thoughts or recommendations?

I would go down the night before just to be safe. Traffic the night before should not be an issue.

Don't forget, the PA road flowers are in full bloom.... (for those that don't know, that's the road cone for all the construction zones).

I would go night before. Avoid stress. We are about 4 hours away and we give ourselves 6 hours to get there. We usually eat someplace nearby if we are early.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Can anyone comment on how bad the traffic would typically be coming from our way? I only ask because my DH has to work a full day Thursday, and can't leave anything because of the week off, so he might not get out of work until 7. Then you figure getting all the last minute things done and getting 4 kids into the car - we wouldn't be able to even leave our house until possibly pushing 9 PM. While I'm a night person and would actually personally prefer to go at night and drive, he's a morning person and I know isn't going to be thrilled with the idea of leaving after a crazy 10 hr work day to get to a hotel in the middle of the night. I still think the safest is of course the night before, but if he won't go for it would leaving at 5:30 AM seem like adequate time for all but a complete disaster? That gives 9 hrs for what ideally with no traffic at all would be 5 1/2 hrs driving and 1 hr feeding. Now that I write it I'm a little worried it won't be enough. Maybe I'll have to push for the night before regardless of how inconvenient it is. After all, it is the start of vacation.

We're taking the auto train next Friday, coming from NW PA. Mapquest says it should take 5 hrs 36 minutes. We will have to stop once along the way and feed our 6 month old twins, which will likely take a full hour. I'm paranoid about missing the train, since we've never done it and don't know the area at all, and I am figuring that the traffic when you get down toward DC could be terrible. I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with coming from that direction has an idea how much time to allow for traffic? Do you think we should leave super early in the morning, or is traffic so unpredictable that we would be better off going the night before and getting a hotel near the auto train? The issue with the night before is we wouldn't get to the hotel until like 2-3 AM, but I would assume traffic would be a non issue then! Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks everyone for your replies! Can anyone comment on how bad the traffic would typically be coming from our way? I only ask because my DH has to work a full day Thursday, and can't leave anything because of the week off, so he might not get out of work until 7. Then you figure getting all the last minute things done and getting 4 kids into the car - we wouldn't be able to even leave our house until possibly pushing 9 PM. While I'm a night person and would actually personally prefer to go at night and drive, he's a morning person and I know isn't going to be thrilled with the idea of leaving after a crazy 10 hr work day to get to a hotel in the middle of the night. I still think the safest is of course the night before, but if he won't go for it would leaving at 5:30 AM seem like adequate time for all but a complete disaster? That gives 9 hrs for what ideally with no traffic at all would be 5 1/2 hrs driving and 1 hr feeding. Now that I write it I'm a little worried it won't be enough. Maybe I'll have to push for the night before regardless of how inconvenient it is. After all, it is the start of vacation.

I’ve lived about 2 miles from the Lorton AT station for more than 20 years and have taken the AT a few times. Coming from NW Pennsylvania I would also recommend arriving a day early, especially traveling with four children, two of them small babies. The only thing predictable about traffic in this area is its unpredictable, but if you would be leaving your home at 9 or 10 PM the day before your AT trip, all roads *should* be clear sailing.

From Altoona to my home typically takes between 3 ½ to 4 hours in good traffic, if that helps.

All that said, leaving your home at 5AM and stopping for 1 hour to feed the babies would hypothetically get you here about noon based on the 5+ hours travel time you're allowing. Traffic on the Beltway and I-95 at that time *should* be moving along, but there are no guarantees that conditions will be perfect here or at any other point during your drive. If you're slowed down for any reason, that could push you into the 1 or 2 PM arrival time, at which point you would still make the cutoff time, but would likely miss early dinner reservations that you would probably want for your children. For that, it's best to check in at the AT station 11:30-noon.

There is a Comfort Inn on the opposite side of I-95 from the AT station and the distance between the two could be measured in yards (as in, maybe a bit more than the length of a football field), not miles. You get to the hotel by turning right on Lorton Road at the bottom of the I-95 exit ramp instead of turning left to go to the AT station.

Another option to consider is leaving at 9 or 10 PM, but stopping someplace like Frederick, MD (if you're taking I-270). It's a bit more than an hour from here, but you would get there earlier (maybe midnight-1AM?) so your family could get a bit more sleep, and it would give you a big head start to arrive in Lorton at a time you're comfortable with, although you would still have to navigate the Beltway and a few miles on I-95.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I’ve lived about 2 miles from the Lorton AT station for more than 20 years and have taken the AT a few times. Coming from NW Pennsylvania I would also recommend arriving a day early, especially traveling with four children, two of them small babies. The only thing predictable about traffic in this area is its unpredictable, but if you would be leaving your home at 9 or 10 PM the day before your AT trip, all roads *should* be clear sailing.

From Altoona to my home typically takes between 3 ½ to 4 hours in good traffic, if that helps.

All that said, leaving your home at 5AM and stopping for 1 hour to feed the babies would hypothetically get you here about noon based on the 5+ hours travel time you're allowing. Traffic on the Beltway and I-95 at that time *should* be moving along, but there are no guarantees that conditions will be perfect here or at any other point during your drive. If you're slowed down for any reason, that could push you into the 1 or 2 PM arrival time, at which point you would still make the cutoff time, but would likely miss early dinner reservations that you would probably want for your children. For that, it's best to check in at the AT station 11:30-noon.

There is a Comfort Inn on the opposite side of I-95 from the AT station and the distance between the two could be measured in yards (as in, maybe a bit more than the length of a football field), not miles. You get to the hotel by turning right on Lorton Road at the bottom of the I-95 exit ramp instead of turning left to go to the AT station.

Another option to consider is leaving at 9 or 10 PM, but stopping someplace like Frederick, MD (if you're taking I-270). It's a bit more than an hour from here, but you would get there earlier (maybe midnight-1AM?) so your family could get a bit more sleep, and it would give you a big head start to arrive in Lorton at a time you're comfortable with, although you would still have to navigate the Beltway and a few miles on I-95.

Hope this helps.

That helps a great deal, thank you so much!! exactly what I was looking for. :worship:

To add to what a PP said Fredricksburg would be a good call. But if that's still a hard sell to DH maybe settle for around half way the night before.

I have had it take us over 2 hours to get thru DC and that was just DC not all the way from York Pa. even if he does not want I would look at leaving the night before. what day of week and time would leaving at 530 get you to DC? those2 things would make my answer as to which to do

I have had it take us over 2 hours to get thru DC and that was just DC not all the way from York Pa. even if he does not want I would look at leaving the night before. what day of week and time would leaving at 530 get you to DC? those2 things would make my answer as to which to do

leaving NW PA and stopping for an hour, I would assume would put us to DC in the late morning time frame on a Friday. I thought DC was almost to Lorton, so I figured all of the traffic we would hit would be at the very end of the trip. But it doesn't matter how close you are if you're stuck in traffic.

leaving NW PA and stopping for an hour, I would assume would put us to DC in the late morning time frame on a Friday. I thought DC was almost to Lorton, so I figured all of the traffic we would hit would be at the very end of the trip. But it doesn't matter how close you are if you're stuck in traffic.
I would be worried about that time frame only worse one would be a Saturday morning. I forget what time is latest you can check car in but it is will before you can get on train. it is the area from DC and Lorton that has most delays where you can sit for 45 minutes to hours. one Saturday with your time frame took us over 2 hours from DC to Lorton and there was no accidents just traffic. with your kids i would look at night before as you say close will not help you if you miss the loading time

DC is about 15 miles north of Lorton, but you wouldn't be going through DC. The Beltway takes you around DC (thus the term "belt").

I-270 between Frederick, MD and the Beltway has also seen it's share of problems with heavy traffic and severe congestion, but you would at least start out closer to Lorton and could be a bit more refreshed from several hours of rest. Plus, once you got to the Beltway traffic should level out the further south you go, with most of the morning traffic heading into the city when you would be heading away from it.

As I mentioned, with the travel time you're allowing, leaving NW PA at 5:00-5:30 and stopping for an hour should put you in Lorton around noon in a perfect world. When you have so many people on the roads at any given time, it's best to pack your patience and understand that at best the odds are only 50/50 you won't get stopped or slowed somewhere. Odds are a bit better later at night.

Whether you leave the night before or early in the morning, there could be one saving grace in all of this - after 25 years of commuting into the city for work, I couldn't help but notice rush hour(s) traffic was always lighter in August. That seems to be when most are taking their vacations.

I think you meant Frederick, MD, not FredericksBURG, VA?

Excatly what I meant. I even second guessed myself and said "no, FBurg is in MD" Thank you for the save. That's what I get for posting before coffee, I couldn't even copy correctly what you had posted :)

Excatly what I meant. I even second guessed myself and said "no, FBurg is in MD" Thank you for the save. That's what I get for posting before coffee, I couldn't even copy correctly what you had posted :)

Haha - no problem. I would have let it go, but the OP is likely not familiar with either Frederick or Fredericksburg and I wanted to prevent confusion. Thanks for being such a good sport about my correction!

Haha - no problem. I would have let it go, but the OP is likely not familiar with either Frederick or Fredericksburg and I wanted to prevent confusion. Thanks for being such a good sport about my correction!

Not a problem at all. After all we are here to help each other right? That's a big enough of a boo boo to really screw up the OP if they are unfamiliar with the area. Or if they actually think it's a smart idea to take our advice and by mistake write down what I wrote but meant to write down what you wrote even though I meant the same thing as you :)

Thanks everyone! I am not familiar with the area, so thank you all for the clarification! We have not yet decided what we are going to do, we'll have to talk it over. I wish we had another day off, but in reality if we did have another day off I would have wanted to leave on Thursday so we would still be in the same boat just a day earlier :)

Hope this helps.

I was wondering if there are any other hotels that are almost as close, particularly suite hotel or another kind that might let 6 in a room? I'll call today to double check and make sure it isn't ok since 2 are infants, but the comfort inn won't let us book a room for 6 people and I would rather not have to book 2 rooms and let one sit empty or just split up because we have to. We really don't want to leave that night, but given all of the info you have given us we might have to suck it up and do it for the peace of mind the next day! At least I can hopefully rest on the train :)

I called the comfort inn and the lady was able to override the system and let us have a room with 2 infants and 2 older children, so it's all good. We're all set now!

I called the comfort inn and the lady was able to override the system and let us have a room with 2 infants and 2 older children, so it's all good. We're all set now!

I'm glad you got the room worked out and you have a plan in place. I hope all goes smoothly and you have a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter