NOVEMBER 2008 Code Watch...

You can buy 1 day tickets. But something you may want to consider: if you get longer stay tickets with your package (if you book free dining), and you don't use them, you can save them for a future trip... as long as you don't use them (unless you get no expiration) you will be able to use them whenever and you get them at todays prices. If you decide to go again in 10 years... prices could be $300 a person for a 5 day base ticket as opposed to the $225 or so they are now.

Thanks again. I think I've got it now!

If Free Dining is offered to the general public next, do you think it will be for the same dates offered for the Disney Visa?:confused3 I am still hoping for free dining during our stay of Nov 30-Dec 6. Still amazed that Disney is offering this over Christmas but not Thanksgiving!:confused:

If Free Dining is offered to the general public next, do you think it will be for the same dates offered for the Disney Visa?:confused3 I am still hoping for free dining during our stay of Nov 30-Dec 6. Still amazed that Disney is offering this over Christmas but not Thanksgiving!:confused:

Well, I got the free dining for Nov 16-25.....but I'm also hoping for it the first two weeks of December as well. So I'll cross my fingers for you!

THe reality is though, that the first two weeks of December have several groups coming....Pop Warner, Mousefest, and it's NJ week or maybe it was another state, Georgia?.....anyway, there are hardly any rooms available during this time, so it seems unlikely as I'm sure part of their incentive to offer it when they did was to fill the resorts. Offering free dining when there aren't any rooms available means that you're offering substantial freebies to those that were already planning to come without anything free. Not exactly a typical marketing strategy, lol....but one that would certain please many of us. Now...maybe if everyone cancelled their first two weeks of December reservations and changed it to the free dining dates, then they'd have enough availablity in early December to fill that they'd offer it then too. Yeah, right....I think I have a better chance to win the Castle stay.

Congrats on getting free dining for part of your stay!:cool1: Our dates are Nov 30 -hopefully all the Thanksgiving crowd will leave that day, and
Dec 6 is the day we are leaving because Pop Warner is starting plus the parade taping. I am just surprised that it is booked full that week? :confused3 That is why they didn't include that week for Disney Visa free dining. Still holding out for a little pixiedust: that we can get free dining that week maybe with the gp code? If not that is alright because we will have a great time anyway:cool1: with code QXD.

If there is a GP free dining code released, will I be able to use it along with the discount code we got in mid-August? or is it one or the other?

If there is a GP free dining code released, will I be able to use it along with the discount code we got in mid-August? or is it one or the other?

It's one or the other, you can't stack codes. If you want an idea of how much the package would be with FD then just go the Disney site and price a package w/o dining and that should be the price so you have a comparision.

Only one discount, so you'll need to price them both and figure out which one works best for you.

As a general rule, what I'm calculating..........if you're staying in a value or moderate the free dining will be a better deal than the 40% off codes...but for deluxes because they cost so much more the discount on the room is usually cheaper than the free dining......of course if you have a large family so you need multiple dining plan packs then that might make it cheaper too.

The math goes like this....a value rack rate is about $100 (depends on the season but round figure)...and a moderate would be about $130. 40% off of would be $40 for the value and about $52 for the moderate. Dining costs $38 for adults...so if you only had one adult in a value, you'd break even....but add in a spouse and a couple of kids and the value is much higher. With the moderate you'd need 2 adults for the free dining to be a better deal....but 1 adult and 1 kid is about the break even point for a moderate.

But...when you jump over to a Deluxe where the cheapest room is nearly $300, and then suddenly that 40% off is $120....which is like 3 adults dining plans.

Of course it all depends on what resort you choose, how many adults/kids in your party, and something that isn't in my math above, how your family typically eats. I was already booked for a trip in November, I opted not to pay for the dining because with 1 adult and 2 "Disney adults" (pre-teens) dining would be $114 a day. Looking at menus and knowing we usually get 2 meals to share between the 3 of us, I knew we'd be hard pressed to spend $114 each day....yeah, one meal at Coral Reef and that blows the budget, but what about the other days when our TS would be character meals of about $20 each...and we typically eat "brunch" so we don't want to eat again until evening...when we'd typically hit a CS or when we're feeling like bad girls we'd do a snack meal (popcorn for dinner is a monthly event here). But....when I priced out the free dining package it came out so reasonably priced that I figure I'm saving at least $700 that I had budgeted for food. So we'll do it......I just will have to figure out a way to assuage my guilt for all the food we'll like waste by not cleaning our plates!

Too bad we can't keep some of those credits and use them on our trip the following week....but alas the free dining isn't offered then.

I'm totally new to this thread and want to subscribe please.
I don't understand this pin code thing. Help:confused:
We(dh and me) are going on the Magic from Nov 1-8. Then staying at Fr. Quarter 8-10. We paid full price and paid for the dining plan(basic).
How do you get a discount? And who is emailing with these pin codes? And how do they get your email address? Thanks.

We(dh and me) are going on the Magic from Nov 1-8. Then staying at Fr. Quarter 8-10. We paid full price and paid for the dining plan(basic).
How do you get a discount? And who is emailing with these pin codes? And how do they get your email address? Thanks.

Disney Destinations sends out the PIN codes, both by flyer/postcard and by email. Are you registered with them to receive information? You can call and ask them, also while you have them on the phone ask if there are any discount codes attached to you or your DH's name or address. Often they have then just sittling there in their computer database waiting for you to ask. Sometimes you will luck up on a special CM that will check on their own but don't count on that, ask!

There is also an offer for free dining....but at this point it is only offered to people who are a Disney VISA holder. It's not available the week you're going, but if you have a Disney VISA and can change weeks, it does start November 9th.

If you have Disney VISA, all you need to do is call Disney and discuss changing your dates to eligible times. You will need to pay the $200 deposit with your Disney VISA.

Unfortunately, because you already have a package, I believe there is a cancellation fee to make this change, but you should discuss it with them when you call.

If you don't have a Disney VISA then at this point you are not eligible for the free dining. The offer was just announced on Thursday, however, and sometimes they give offers to Disney VISA holders first and a few days later open them up to the general public. I have not seen anything to indicate this will actually happen but there are a lot of people with their fingers crossed.

And before anyone gets upset if it should be only offered to Disney VISA holders......remember that Disney VISA holders did not get a room discount offer last month....which everyone was rather upset about at the time. Now of course in hindsight it's probably because they were planning to make this offer.

Someone else has already answered you about PIN codes, so I'll just say that no one knows how they choose who will get PIN codes either, so it's really just a matter of watching for those codes/discounts that you ARE eligible for, rather than getting caught up in the ones you're not. I've got many years of a relationship with Disney, both World and Land, and yet I've never gotten a PIN, ever. Yes, it bugs me, but I simply remember all that I DO get from Disney, including memories that will last me to the ends of my days. But darn it, would it really hurt to mail me a PIN??? :cool1:

Is the Disney Destinations the same phone # as the regular # you call to make reservations? Thanks.

I personally don't think Disney will offer the free dining to GP now. Disney has shown in the past that when they offer discounts, they offer to Disney Visa and then to GP 2 or three days later. Since the free dining promo went public on Thursday, and it is now Monday, I don't think it will be released.

Hypothetically though, if they were to release it, based on past trends, yes it will be for the same dates.

Well, I got the free dining for Nov 16-25.....but I'm also hoping for it the first two weeks of December as well. So I'll cross my fingers for you!

THe reality is though, that the first two weeks of December have several groups coming....Pop Warner, Mousefest, and it's NJ week or maybe it was another state, Georgia?.....anyway, there are hardly any rooms available during this time, so it seems unlikely as I'm sure part of their incentive to offer it when they did was to fill the resorts. Offering free dining when there aren't any rooms available means that you're offering substantial freebies to those that were already planning to come without anything free. Not exactly a typical marketing strategy, lol....but one that would certain please many of us. Now...maybe if everyone cancelled their first two weeks of December reservations and changed it to the free dining dates, then they'd have enough availablity in early December to fill that they'd offer it then too. Yeah, right....I think I have a better chance to win the Castle stay.

I don't believe (but I'm no expert) that the hotels are booked up. I can still book 10 rooms at 3 of the 4 value resorts. But what I do know is that the past couple of years they have not offered discounts for a week or two in the beginning of December, and I'm assuming its because of the taping and Pop Warner. Jersey Week is in November, FYI.

No, you cannot combine discounts.

Only one discount, so you'll need to price them both and figure out which one works best for you.

As a general rule, what I'm calculating..........if you're staying in a value or moderate the free dining will be a better deal than the 40% off codes...but for deluxes because they cost so much more the discount on the room is usually cheaper than the free dining......of course if you have a large family so you need multiple dining plan packs then that might make it cheaper too.

The math goes like this....a value rack rate is about $100 (depends on the season but round figure)...and a moderate would be about $130. 40% off of would be $40 for the value and about $52 for the moderate. Dining costs $38 for adults...so if you only had one adult in a value, you'd break even....but add in a spouse and a couple of kids and the value is much higher. With the moderate you'd need 2 adults for the free dining to be a better deal....but 1 adult and 1 kid is about the break even point for a moderate.

But...when you jump over to a Deluxe where the cheapest room is nearly $300, and then suddenly that 40% off is $120....which is like 3 adults dining plans.

Of course it all depends on what resort you choose, how many adults/kids in your party, and something that isn't in my math above, how your family typically eats. I was already booked for a trip in November, I opted not to pay for the dining because with 1 adult and 2 "Disney adults" (pre-teens) dining would be $114 a day. Looking at menus and knowing we usually get 2 meals to share between the 3 of us, I knew we'd be hard pressed to spend $114 each day....yeah, one meal at Coral Reef and that blows the budget, but what about the other days when our TS would be character meals of about $20 each...and we typically eat "brunch" so we don't want to eat again until evening...when we'd typically hit a CS or when we're feeling like bad girls we'd do a snack meal (popcorn for dinner is a monthly event here). But....when I priced out the free dining package it came out so reasonably priced that I figure I'm saving at least $700 that I had budgeted for food. So we'll do it......I just will have to figure out a way to assuage my guilt for all the food we'll like waste by not cleaning our plates!

Too bad we can't keep some of those credits and use them on our trip the following week....but alas the free dining isn't offered then.

I had already priced out Free Dining for my vacation dates:
November 11 - November 18
2 Adults
Pop Century - Standard View
5 Day Base Ticket
Total Cost for Package was $1108.88
Assume Meal Costs $175.14 (tips and any other items we had to pay OOP using AllEars' menus)
Total came to $1284.02

Our Current Package We Have Booked:
2 Adults
Pop Century - Standard View
5 Day Base Tickets
Total Cost for Package was $847.78
Assumed Meal Costs $597.77
Total came to $1445.55

I also priced out a vacation package on Disney World's website without any discounts:
2 Adults
Pop Century - Standard Room
5 Day Base Tickets
Total Cost of Package was $1243.28
Food was the same as above $597.77
Total came to $1841.05

The kicker is, the Free Dining promo is actually cheaper than just getting DDP for free, about $100 cheaper.

Disney Destinations sends out the PIN codes, both by flyer/postcard and by email. Are you registered with them to receive information? You can call and ask them, also while you have them on the phone ask if there are any discount codes attached to you or your DH's name or address. Often they have then just sittling there in their computer database waiting for you to ask. Sometimes you will luck up on a special CM that will check on their own but don't count on that, ask!

Not everyone gets PINs... for example, I've gone to Disney World since I was a baby, have had ressies in my name since I 2004, I didn't get a PIN until this year. I've heard of some people getting them a lot and others never.

Hold tight, in previous years Disney has offered a couple of discounts during this time frame. There is still chances you may get a discount.

For example, last year Disney offered a similar discount to the one I booked (its something like 50% off the rack rate), then later offered another discount closer to November, just not as deep.

Not everyone gets PINs... for example, I've gone to Disney World since I was a baby, have had ressies in my name since I 2004, I didn't get a PIN until this year. I've heard of some people getting them a lot and others never.

This is very true, this was our first in 4 years (and with multiple trips per year). The kicker is I was unable to book with it unless I upgraded to water view costing even more than my $374 per night BC room with the 10% I'm getting from AAA.

Ok, so I followed your advice and called and asked if they had a pin code for me in their database and guess what? They did!!!Not only one that's good 'til December but one that had expired? What?? Nice no one told me about it, lol. I asked her why I was never notified and she couldn't explain that. She was really nice and helpful but how strange is it that it's there in the computer and we were never notified even though they have my email address. Anyway, since we are only staying 2 nights after our Magic cruise, it would save us $60 but would have to move to Riverside from the French Quarter. I don't know, I really like the FQ, so I'll have to decide. BUT, I want to thank you and everyone for opening my eyes to the secret world of codes and pins. LOL. :rotfl:

Ok, so I followed your advice and called and asked if they had a pin code for me in their database and guess what? They did!!!Not only one that's good 'til December but one that had expired? What?? Nice no one told me about it, lol. I asked her why I was never notified and she couldn't explain that. She was really nice and helpful but how strange is it that it's there in the computer and we were never notified even though they have my email address. Anyway, since we are only staying 2 nights after our Magic cruise, it would save us $60 but would have to move to Riverside from the French Quarter. I don't know, I really like the FQ, so I'll have to decide. BUT, I want to thank you and everyone for opening my eyes to the secret world of codes and pins. LOL. :rotfl:

Whoo hoo! That's great that you have one and even better that you could actually apply it to your dates! Seeing how we didn't care for FQ I'd say move just to be closer to the TS restaurant, lol. Funny thing about PIN codes is back when the girls were younger we would just book at rack and not think anything about it. Then in Fall of '04 I actually received a post card after I already had an October trip booked. I was already booked at WL and in order to use the card I had to split between WL and Poly. I won't forget, WL CY view was less than $200 a night and the Poly was $250! There have been numerous trips since then, like YC at $199 a night, $325 (tax included) for the GF during Spring Break, an CR for $129 a night. That's why $374 a night is hurting so bad now, considering that I paid like $250 for an equivalent YC room this past January! Enjoy your trip, wherever you decide to stay, but that $60 would make a nice souvenir!

The kicker is, the Free Dining promo is actually cheaper than just getting DDP for free, about $100 cheaper.

Yeah, that's the weird thing. I asked my first CM twice if there was any room discount and she said definitely not, and later I called again and they said no, it was rack rate.
So, here is our info we started with: Nov 14-23 CBR standard, 2 adults, 9 base tickets, insurance, no dining. I figured rack rate with dining is 2965.60, then minus the dining of 683.32 = 2282.28. That figure is rack rate for our room with free dining. But, the amount for my package is 2119.78. That is 162.50 less than rack rate for our room, tickets and free dining and insurance. How can that not be a room discount? :confused3
And, before we did this, we had used the recent DGL code and room info, no dining for $1613. Great code! Then decided to go with free dining when it came out, I hope it's a better deal. I'm paying about $506 more now. So I feel like it's not free dining cause my bill went up not down as many others did, though I know it is and it's how you look at it with the rack rate. I had figured we'd spend at least 500 on food as we do some buffets and character meals. Last year I added receipts up awhile after we came back and though I might have been missing some, they were about 600. I know we could spend less for two of us for nine/ten days if we did most all counter service. It is good to know that it's all paid for, though now I have to find and add more adr's! Idk, does any of this make any sense? It's late but I think too much sometimes, lol!:goodvibes

I do not believe they have to notify you about a PIN offer. I had one (so did my mom) over the summer. Of course we are not traveling over the summer and it was no where as good of a deal as this one I have now.

And like I said, I got a PIN via email, but when I called to price it out on the way to work one day, I didn't have my code and they said there wasn't anything attached to my name. I called back later with my code and asked the same thing, if there was a code attached to my name, they said no... so I gave them my PIN and they were like "that's weird." Of course the only thing that matched on my info was my name, phone number and email. My address was wrong. It said I lived somewhere else. Different state and everything.

Yeah, that's the weird thing. I asked my first CM twice if there was any room discount and she said definitely not, and later I called again and they said no, it was rack rate.
So, here is our info we started with: Nov 14-23 CBR standard, 2 adults, 9 base tickets, insurance, no dining. I figured rack rate with dining is 2965.60, then minus the dining of 683.32 = 2282.28. That figure is rack rate for our room with free dining. But, the amount for my package is 2119.78. That is 162.50 less than rack rate for our room, tickets and free dining and insurance. How can that not be a room discount? :confused3
And, before we did this, we had used the recent DGL code and room info, no dining for $1613. Great code! Then decided to go with free dining when it came out, I hope it's a better deal. I'm paying about $506 more now. So I feel like it's not free dining cause my bill went up not down as many others did, though I know it is and it's how you look at it with the rack rate. I had figured we'd spend at least 500 on food as we do some buffets and character meals. Last year I added receipts up awhile after we came back and though I might have been missing some, they were about 600. I know we could spend less for two of us for nine/ten days if we did most all counter service. It is good to know that it's all paid for, though now I have to find and add more adr's! Idk, does any of this make any sense? It's late but I think too much sometimes, lol!:goodvibes

Your numbers from DGL don't include how much food will cost. I'm not sure how many people are traveling with you, but with me, its only the 2 of us and food is gonna run around $600 for our trip.

I am very bummed that I can't use the free dining code while we're there and I just got my Disney Visa too!! I wish the days were for my week!!

I am very bummed that I can't use the free dining code while we're there and I just got my Disney Visa too!! I wish the days were for my week!!

I know how you feel. We got the Disney Visa last year in hopes to be able to get a code and be able to use it.

Your numbers from DGL don't include how much food will cost. I'm not sure how many people are traveling with you, but with me, its only the 2 of us and food is gonna run around $600 for our trip.

Oh, yes, I realize that. :) We just had our room, 9 day base tickets and insurance at that cost. It is just the two of us.
So, with our numbers I used, I just wasn't sure we got a deal or just pretty much broke even, trading one code for another, about equal value. I sort of figure, the dgl total cost was 1613, no food. I added on 506, for 2120 total now, for room, tickets, insurance, and food. So, I look at it as we are spending about 500 on food basically. Deal or not a deal for 2, (myself and dd18)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter