No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. - ToT 10 Miler & F&W - Updated 12/21

Just joining in now. We're DVCers too and the only open studios for us right now are at SS (not my favorite). Went ahead and booked it and waitlisted (eeek) another.

I'll be running the Peachtree Road Race 10K in July. It's in Atlanta and the biggest 10K in the world. I know it's not local to you but it is an awesome race. My DS is finally old enough and is running with me this year.

Everyone is truly different with what the need.

For the Wine & Dine I found that I ate a big lunch around 1. A small snack & then my dinner around 6:30 consisted of A Peanut Butter Bagel, 2 hard boiled eggs (from the hotel quick service), a banana & some carrots.

This is all I ate before the 1/2. Now, let it be said I got sick at the end. Not sure from what- my thoughts were on the GU they gave us- it was not the brand I trained with... combined with too much water/Gatorade. But probably a little 'no food' didn't help.

I think I will change this come ToT. I am thinking a bigger 'Dinner' around 3:30. Then the PB bagel & eggs & banana around 8:30/9pm. d

The problem for me is with too much food, wrong kind of food anywhere near my run & I'm visiting a bathroom with sick stomach during my run (TMI- I'm sure!) :)

For the Wine & Dine I found that I ate a big lunch around 1. A small snack & then my dinner around 6:30 consisted of A Peanut Butter Bagel, 2 hard boiled eggs (from the hotel quick service), a banana & some carrots.

This is all I ate before the 1/2. Now, let it be said I got sick at the end. Not sure from what- my thoughts were on the GU they gave us- it was not the brand I trained with... combined with too much water/Gatorade. But probably a little 'no food' didn't help.

I think I will change this come ToT. I am thinking a bigger 'Dinner' around 3:30. Then the PB bagel & eggs & banana around 8:30/9pm. d

The problem for me is with too much food, wrong kind of food anywhere near my run & I'm visiting a bathroom with sick stomach during my run (TMI- I'm sure!) :)

I will say one of the issues I have with the GU is you REALLY need to drink with it, but Disney usually hands it out well before a water stop, so unless you've got a bottle on you it can be a bit much. :crazy2:

I totally agree with you about the food balancing act. For morning runs I eat very little (which is probably not great), but I carry a cliff bar and Sports Beans with me. The last night 1/2 I did last year I had a light pasta lunch and brought a cliff bar with me (it started earlier though, around 7). With TOT starting at 10 dinner will be tough. I will say I am sure I will be having some caffeine though to keep me up and going :hyper:

Just joining in now. We're DVCers too and the only open studios for us right now are at SS (not my favorite). Went ahead and booked it and waitlisted (eeek) another.

I'll be running the Peachtree Road Race 10K in July. It's in Atlanta and the biggest 10K in the world. I know it's not local to you but it is an awesome race. My DS is finally old enough and is running with me this year.

When we stayed at Saratoga Springs last July, I didn't mind it too much. The only thing that really grated on me was the 5 bus stops throughout the resort as we were at the first bus stop so it felt like it took forever to get through on the road. I did love being able to get to DTD without dealing with the awful parking situation or the buses though. We would spend more time at DTD if it wasn't for those reasons.

Good luck on your 10K! We may need to look into that.

Don't worry about being TMI. One of my college friends posted this blog about her training for her half marathon during her 8 Miler Run: The TMI 8-Miler I rather know things like that can happen then getting an unpleasant surprise.

I do know that the day of the race I will need to stay away from the typical Disney type food but thats one of the reasons I want Wolfgang Puck Cafe for lunch - the Asian Chicken Salad will totally be a great lunch. Now just to figure dinner out for protein & carbs.

I will say one of the issues I have with the GU is you REALLY need to drink with it, but Disney usually hands it out well before a water stop, so unless you've got a bottle on you it can be a bit much. :crazy2:

I totally agree with you about the food balancing act. For morning runs I eat very little (which is probably not great), but I carry a cliff bar and Sports Beans with me. The last night 1/2 I did last year I had a light pasta lunch and brought a cliff bar with me (it started earlier though, around 7). With TOT starting at 10 dinner will be tough. I will say I am sure I will be having some caffeine though to keep me up and going :hyper:

I've never run with GU so thats good information to have. :thumbsup2 I'll need to test some of that stuff out as I move to longer runs.

There is no way I won't be having caffeine before the race either. My latest bed time outside of my monthly game nights is usually 11PM. But I'll be able to adjust by race time.

When we stayed at Saratoga Springs last July, I didn't mind it too much. The only thing that really grated on me was the 5 bus stops throughout the resort as we were at the first bus stop so it felt like it took forever to get through on the road. I did love being able to get to DTD without dealing with the awful parking situation or the buses though. We would spend more time at DTD if it wasn't for those reasons. Good luck on your 10K! We may need to look into that.

We stayed there years ago and I remember the same thing. It was so sprawling we ended up a huge hike from the main pool and all. We are wait listed a couple other places so maybe something will come through.

The Peachtree is a lot of fun and registration starts soon. It is done via a lottery system. It always sells out. It will be DS's first time since the minimum age is 10 and he's excited to train for it. It's an early morning though so we'll see how things go with getting him up and ready to go. The TOT 5k is fairly early too so he'll just have to get used to it.

This is close to the plan I have followed in the past. I will probably stick close to it again. Although.. all of what you all are saying about tummy issues is what makes me want to reevaluate. Although neither year did I experience any (even though I am prone to having them)...so maybe I should just stick with my tried and true. :rolleyes:

We stayed there years ago and I remember the same thing. It was so sprawling we ended up a huge hike from the main pool and all. We are wait listed a couple other places so maybe something will come through.

The Peachtree is a lot of fun and registration starts soon. It is done via a lottery system. It always sells out. It will be DS's first time since the minimum age is 10 and he's excited to train for it. It's an early morning though so we'll see how things go with getting him up and ready to go. The TOT 5k is fairly early too so he'll just have to get used to it.

We've never been main pool people. I rather enjoy a quiet pool with a lack of people there than a busy main one. That said, when we stay at BCV in Sept, I do plan on enjoying their main pool for at least the lazy river.

I used to live in Georgia in the Macon area for work & I believe a few of my coworkers would try to run that. Hopefully it being race day, gettig up early in the morning won't be a problem! I know we get super excited on days like that.

This is close to the plan I have followed in the past. I will probably stick close to it again. Although.. all of what you all are saying about tummy issues is what makes me want to reevaluate. Although neither year did I experience any (even though I am prone to having them)...so maybe I should just stick with my tried and true. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't change up what has been working for you. Every body likes to do strange and different things.

I'd say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!' :)

I am so sorry about your dh job...hoping things are looking better now.

Love all your plans. The night before ToT I had steak and lobster (yum...very heavy on the protein and some almond crusted cheeecake...and a lovely glass of wine). The day of the ToT I had an early lunch (about the same time your are looking at) at BOG (roast beef sandwich and cupcake) and then had an early light dinner (around 5 pm). My friend and I actually split a grilled chicken sandwich and a little fries (I need some salt before and after running). Then about 9:45 while in the corrals I ate a banana and a package of Justin's honey peanut butter.

I really think the key to prerace fueling is knowing your own body, what works for others does not always work for me.

The huge key to ToT is hydration. I started Saturday morning and made sure I was drinking at least 8 ounces every hour and with meals a good 32 ounces. I stopped drinking with my dinner....bathroom issues like to bother me but has a small bottle of water right before the race started. Every water station, I stopped for a cup of water. This plan worked me...you have lots of time to think and play with what works for you on a night race!

So jealous of the pool at BCV, some day I am going to get there! I thought I would for the PHM trip in 2015. But I am thinking that if I do all 3 runs plus spend some time in the park that my pool time keeps getting cut down...and wonder if BCV would even be worth it this trip. My only requirement is someplace where I feel comfortable to relax at and have some pool/hottub time.

I LOVE THE AFTERNOON TEA TIME, that you have planned with your mom. So special and fun.

I wouldn't change up what has been working for you. Every body likes to do strange and different things.

I suppose you both are right. I have done a large, late lunch early dinner both years before the ToT then a carb/protein snack while waiting near the corrals. I guess it worked.... I just am always open to new ideas in nutrition when it comes to running. :goodvibes

Yep I agree as well, if it worked go with it. However, if you do decide to change be sure you do a test run a few week prior.

Yep I agree as well, if it worked go with it. However, if you do decide to change be sure you do a test run a few week prior.

I know what I will run with, that won't change. (some sort of bean or chew each mile during the race) That has been since just about day one in my running. What is hard is to play around with the pre and post race food. ;)

I am a big fan of Sports Beans and Cliff bars during long runs.

I too am a bit worried about food race day. I'm doing the 5k that morning so I will need to eat but don't want to weigh myself down. I have never done a two race day before.

I too am a bit worried about food race day. I'm doing the 5k that morning so I will need to eat but don't want to weigh myself down. I have never done a two race day before.

That is so tricky! I have some in my party who are signed up for the 5k. I would love to do it with them, but I am just not sure how to manage both races. What is your plan? My thought would be..
  • large dinner night before
  • bagel/peanut butter while waiting for start
  • large post 5k breakfast
  • salty snack mid day
  • then take it easy - no park time and nap (although I have yet to achieve this goal of napping before the ToT)
  • a large late lunch/early dinner
  • then carb/protein snack while waiting in corrals
Seems doable, but I worry about how much food I would be taking in during a 24 hour period and how much rest I would get.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I am so sorry about your dh job...hoping things are looking better now.

Love all your plans. The night before ToT I had steak and lobster (yum...very heavy on the protein and some almond crusted cheeecake...and a lovely glass of wine). The day of the ToT I had an early lunch (about the same time your are looking at) at BOG (roast beef sandwich and cupcake) and then had an early light dinner (around 5 pm). My friend and I actually split a grilled chicken sandwich and a little fries (I need some salt before and after running). Then about 9:45 while in the corrals I ate a banana and a package of Justin's honey peanut butter.

I really think the key to prerace fueling is knowing your own body, what works for others does not always work for me.

The huge key to ToT is hydration. I started Saturday morning and made sure I was drinking at least 8 ounces every hour and with meals a good 32 ounces. I stopped drinking with my dinner....bathroom issues like to bother me but has a small bottle of water right before the race started. Every water station, I stopped for a cup of water. This plan worked me...you have lots of time to think and play with what works for you on a night race!

So jealous of the pool at BCV, some day I am going to get there! I thought I would for the PHM trip in 2015. But I am thinking that if I do all 3 runs plus spend some time in the park that my pool time keeps getting cut down...and wonder if BCV would even be worth it this trip. My only requirement is someplace where I feel comfortable to relax at and have some pool/hottub time.

I LOVE THE AFTERNOON TEA TIME, that you have planned with your mom. So special and fun.

I feel a little better now than I did last weekend as we've had time to talk more about it and plan things out more. We at least know what we are going to do no matter which way things go.

Sounds like you had a great dinner at Narcoossee's ;) I guess I should probably have something right before the race in the corrals. I really need to play around more as I get to longer runs.

I know about hydration, especially at Disney. Living in Naples as I do, I already have to make sure I drink enough if I'm running outside as is. I'm good on having at least 88 ounces a day if not more. I need to buy shares in Perrier or San Pellegrino for the amount of bottles I go through a week. I know I'll have to have potty breaks but at least that is at every stop.

Well, if you do BCV for PHM - one thought is having the pool would be super useful for recovery with the zero entry and hot tubs.

My mother & I haven't done the Afternoon Tea in years so I figure it would be a good thing to do especially as we are staying at VGF.

I suppose you both are right. I have done a large, late lunch early dinner both years before the ToT then a carb/protein snack while waiting near the corrals. I guess it worked.... I just am always open to new ideas in nutrition when it comes to running. :goodvibes

I love seeing what everyone else is doing! Gives me more ideas to try out.

I have to agree with Nicole....

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

:thumbsup2

I know what I will run with, that won't change. (some sort of bean or chew each mile during the race) That has been since just about day one in my running. What is hard is to play around with the pre and post race food. ;)

I really need to try these beans or chews you all keep talking about. Guess a visit to Dick's or Sports Authority is in order for me this weekend.

Go you for doing both races in the same day! That thought scares me but then again I'm still new to this running thing. I would probably still stick to the large lunch and light dinner but who knows.

That is so tricky! I have some in my party who are signed up for the 5k. I would love to do it with them, but I am just not sure how to manage both races. What is your plan? My thought would be.. [*]large dinner night before [*]bagel/peanut butter while waiting for start [*]large post 5k breakfast [*]salty snack mid day [*]then take it easy - no park time and nap (although I have yet to achieve this goal of napping before the ToT) [*]a large late lunch/early dinner [*]then carb/protein snack while waiting in corrals Seems doable, but I worry about how much food I would be taking in during a 24 hour period and how much rest I would get.

That's pretty close to what I was thinking. Although I cannot do the shakes. I will probably do my old stand by Cliff Bar before the 10 miler.

I definitely plan on a light day. DH is taking the kids to the park and I am napping/ resting at the resort.

That is so tricky! I have some in my party who are signed up for the 5k. I would love to do it with them, but I am just not sure how to manage both races. What is your plan? My thought would be..
  • salty snack mid day
  • then take it easy - no park time and nap (although I have yet to achieve this goal of napping before the ToT)
Seems doable, but I worry about how much food I would be taking in during a 24 hour period and how much rest I would get.

I like that plan if I was doing both races! Think of the amount of calories you would really be burning while running so I wouldn't worry about how much I ate as it would mostly burn off anyway.

• salty snack mid day

Thank you for this! You just made my eating plan for me!!! :) I am doing both and now I know what to try!!!

That's pretty close to what I was thinking. Although I cannot do the shakes. I will probably do my old stand by Cliff Bar before the 10 miler.

I definitely plan on a light day. DH is taking the kids to the park and I am napping/ resting at the resort.

To me Cliff Bars are more breakfast food but I really don't eat much for breakfast on a good day.

Thank you for this! You just made my eating plan for me!!! :) I am doing both and now I know what to try!!!

Awesomeness!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter