NO MORE free valet parking for DVC members.

I bought into a timeshare, I didn't buy into DVC for the free valet parking or the discounted AP's. I don't even buy AP's (As a FLA resident I buy the weekly pass) and I seldom valet park, so do I begrudge every person who can take advantage of the AP discount and every person who used valet parking, no. By the same token when the party's over, after 12 years of free valet parking, the perk is gone. You still have what you purchased, a timeshare, and whether it's a Disney timeshare or not, they are in the business of making money, they aren't making friends, nor do they need to buy our affections by giving us free dining etc., they already have us and our money.

In the end, when the timeshare no longer suits our vacation needs, we'll sell but it won't have anything to do with what discount I do or don't get from Olivia's or because I now need valet parking and it's no longer free. Contractually, Disney hasn't taken away anything that can be legitimately fought for and/or won in a court of law!

I always got a ham at Christmas from my company. Times got tough, no ham this year, but I still have my job. By the way, same way went my Christmas bonus. Did I take the job for the free ham every year, no; Am I peived that I no longer get the ham, a little disapointed maybe ( a bit more about the X-Mas bonus). It was a free perk that I happily received for many years, but now I have to buy my own ham. The ham and the bonus were not promised to me as part of the job.

Get over it and if you can't because the lack of free valet parking is such an issue for you, then maybe it's time to sell and get out!

because many resorts are now off limits because the parking is so horrible.

Our self park experiences:

SSR and OKW (where you stay) park in front of units more or less. However, they are less convenient for getting around to the main part of the resort, having to use either internal bus or car.

BCV: parking is right there! Closer to self park than valet park and walk from the front of the resort.

BWV: We unload, park, and pretty much leave our car all week. So easy to walk to both Epcot and DHS. We usually bus over to MK. So our only car trips are to AK. If you stay in the standard rooms and exit by the tennis courts it's a very reasonable walk to the car lot from there.

BLT: will be staying there for the first time this summer. Expect to use the monorail for the most part.

AK: Jambo house: stayed here, can't remember where parking is but it didn't imprint on my mind as being a big deal. Haven't stayed at Kidani yet.

VWL: the first row is closer to the villas than the rest of self-parking is to the regular resort. Plus, the walk is really pretty!

With TIW you get free valet for meals; if special needs you still get free valet. I honestly can't foresee a time when we would need to valet otherwise.

I'm not sure how applicable the word "skyrocketing" might be. With VERY few exceptions (like unplanned maintenance at Hilton Head), dues are steadily increasing at a 2-4% clip. That's to be expected as employee wages and benefits cost more, fuel prices fluctuate, utilities, etc.

Nevertheless, since you think DVC costs a lot more than other timeshares, I'd be curious to see some detail on that POV. How do DVC annual dues compare to other timeshares in the central Florida area?

A good example might be the Marriott Beachplace Towers in Fort Lauderdale or the Marriott Ocean Pointe in West Palm Beach. Both beautiful luxury resorts with a location to die for.. Now say a 7 day stay at in Feb-Apr, their dues are approx $900-$1,000 per year. At WLV during that time frame the points would be 352, at $5.00 and change per point....would work out to Approx $1,800.00 in maintenance fees. This is the only timeshare that I could compare it to. But it is considerably more. This is my last post on this topic. I understand why people are upset with this scenario. Even though valet parking was the only perk that I used, I just hope that the annual passes, ME and other perks dont disappear for other people. As I have stated before, I love the value of my DVC and it still is "the happiest place on earth" !!!

AK: Jambo house: stayed here, can't remember where parking is but it didn't imprint on my mind as being a big deal. Haven't stayed at Kidani yet.
At Jambo, the lot is out in front of the main entrance. The walk isn't bad at all, especially if you find a spot at the upper end of the lot (the end closest to the building).

At Kidani, the parking is on ground level under the building. Given the long hallways there, it's quite possible that you will have a much shorter walk to retrieve your car yourself from the self parking lot than to walk all the way to the lobby to retrieve a car that has been valet parked. The valet parking area is out in the open so on a hot summer day the self parked cars will stay cooler since they will be sitting in the shade under the building.

A good example might be the Marriott Beachplace Towers in Fort Lauderdale or the Marriott Ocean Pointe in West Palm Beach. Both beautiful luxury resorts with a location to die for.. Now say a 7 day stay at in Feb-Apr, their dues are approx $900-$1,000 per year. At WLV during that time frame the points would be 352, at $5.00 and change per point....would work out to Approx $1,800.00 in maintenance fees. This is the only timeshare that I could compare it to. But it is considerably more.

Of course the devil is in the details...

How does the cost compare in other seasons and unit sizes?

How do we account for differences in amenities and services provided by each resort? DVC members get free round-trip transportation to Orlando International. Other timeshares charge parking and valet fees. At least one of the hotels you mentioned charges $14 per day for self-parking. Some charge for Internet service. Some charge to use workout facilities. DVC's Trash and Towel service is an offering that most other timeshares do not replicate.

Our DVC dues include charges for theme park transportation, which we all knew we would be funding. Some DVC resorts have unique features like the animal savanna at AKV and expansive pool complexes.

How do property tax rates (over which DVC has no control) compare to other locations? How do refurbishment budgets vary between DVC and others?

Dean previously stated that DVC dues run 20-30% higher than others. That seems like a reasonable figure to me. Of that a good 10% goes right to theme park transportation.

It's fair to expect more when we are paying more. But we also have to be astute enough to recognize what we are getting for our dollar. With all due respect to Marriott, their 20-story towers don't hold a candle to the highly themed environments Disney has created at resorts like the BoardWalk and Wilderness Lodge. We owners must pay to maintain those environments--both in terms of the physical structure and the surrounding landscaping. When other timeshares are charging parking fees, Internet fees, resort service fees, and have minimal facilities for guest shopping, dining and recreation--including rectangular pools with no slide, kids' play area or theming--of course their published dues will be lower.

A good example might be the Marriott Beachplace Towers in Fort Lauderdale or the Marriott Ocean Pointe in West Palm Beach. Both beautiful luxury resorts with a location to die for.. Now say a 7 day stay at in Feb-Apr, their dues are approx $900-$1,000 per year. At WLV during that time frame the points would be 352, at $5.00 and change per point....would work out to Approx $1,800.00 in maintenance fees. This is the only timeshare that I could compare it to. But it is considerably more. This is my last post on this topic. I understand why people are upset with this scenario. Even though valet parking was the only perk that I used, I just hope that the annual passes, ME and other perks dont disappear for other people. As I have stated before, I love the value of my DVC and it still is "the happiest place on earth" !!!

This post does not clearly give me enough information or does not express the information in a manner in which I understand. Are you saying that in comparing apples to apples Disney's maintenance fees are double? What are the hotel rental rates in West Palm Beach for the same time, and what are the Disney rental rates for the same period. Are they higher? lower? about the same?

My 5 night stays at BWV studio in January usually cost me between $300 and $500 in maintenance fees. A deluxe Disney hotel in the same time period is at least $250/night, and an Epcot Resort Deluxe hotel (BWI or Y&BC) are always in excess of $325/night. For me, DVC is a great deal. I vacation almost exclusively at WDW and want to stay on-property. I've never considered going to West Palm Beach, but have vacationed in Destin, Fl. and Orange Beach, Al. (I would much rather be in Disney!)

I have read in the past that Disney sets its prices to be comparable to the top resort destinations throughout the world, and not to the prices of other amusement parks.

In my 4 years of ownership, I have never felt like the increase in dues were excessive. IF I had more points, I might feel a greater pinch.

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable with an off-property timeshare, or in renting an All-Star vacation home as you are clearly interested in enjoying a larger villa.

Dues would have to increase by at least 5% per year for a few years for me to consider the word skyrocketing. As an economist, I must say that I am surprised that our dues have stayed as steady as they have over the past 2 years.

At Jambo, the lot is out in front of the main entrance. The walk isn't bad at all, especially if you find a spot at the upper end of the lot (the end closest to the building).

At Kidani, the parking is on ground level under the building. Given the long hallways there, it's quite possible that you will have a much shorter walk to retrieve your car yourself from the self parking lot than to walk all the way to the lobby to retrieve a car that has been valet parked. The valet parking area is out in the open so on a hot summer day the self parked cars will stay cooler since they will be sitting in the shade under the building.

Thank you, my friend and AKV expert!!

We would love to stay at Kidani some time; the underground parking at hot-hot-hot Florida in summer sounds like a dream come true. Possibly closer than valet is nice to know.

It just goes to show you......experience all the self-parking at DVC resorts first, before complaining how much farther it is than valet. ;)

No, I am sure that if you took a poll (PLEASE DONT), you would find that people have not accepted it, they are just tolerating it. When people think of Disney, they think of that company going the extra mile, because lets face it, Disney is not a cheap vacation and DVC is a lot more money than other timeshares, including the dues which seem to be skyrocketing. I am still very happy with my DVC purchase, but I am very worried about Disney itself. If I had a crystal ball and could see the Disney corporation 20 years from now. I don't think that I would like what I would see. JMHO..... But its Still the happiest place on earth.

I think if you ask around here during a purchase phase to compare DVC to other timeshares, you'll be told by MOST people that DVC is a "good value" but not a cheap option. There are plenty of nice timeshares in the Orlando area that are cheaper - both for buy in and dues. But they aren't "on property" and we are paying a premium for that.

Any time we aren't happy to pay that premium, we are free to leave the system. And if you didn't understand you were going to pay a premium to have an on-site timeshare - well, caveat emptor. Likewise, if you didn't understand that perks come and go - like valet, well, did you read your contract or did you just blindly trust in a mega corporation to always sprinkle you in pixie dust?

I'm sorry if anyone has lost their faith in Santa Claus over the loss of valet parking. But "faith, trust and pixie dust" is a work of fiction - not something you should believe when handing a corporation a five figure check.

And in the end, it really depends - does the system, as it exists in reality now - provide enough value for you to stay. If the answer is yes, stay. If its no, sell. We'd all LIKE things to be different...but we really only have the power of staying or selling.

There's someone that does it openly on the ABD board....not sure why that would be creepy. The posts I've seen were to help clarify details. Also, I assume that concerns that generate a lot of postings would be cataloged and sent back up the chain to aid in changes. I always assumed the outcry re. studio mugs helped them to decide to reverse that bad idea (if not directly from the postings then via the cry to rally complaints directly to DVC).

There's someone that does it openly on the ABD board....not sure why that would be creepy. The posts I've seen were to help clarify details. Also, I assume that concerns that generate a lot of postings would be cataloged and sent back up the chain to aid in changes. I always assumed the outcry re. studio mugs helped them to decide to reverse that bad idea (if not directly from the postings then via the cry to rally complaints directly to DVC).

Sorry, I did not finish the post properly.....I meant to say if they did it anonymously it would be creep. If they do it openly. All the medication that I take for my back surgeries sometimes causes me to not type what I am thinking for vice versa.... :)

I'll give you creepy. But honestly I think every single major company monitors web traffic in one form of another re. their product.

Hope your back starts to feel better!!!

Good Point........If they do it openly I have no problem with that. I know a lot of campaigns were doing it. Too many posts came out the same as 10 people would post the same talking points.

If they do it to inform sure.....but just to thwart opinion. Different story in my book. It just looks creepy is all.

Well, when you have evidence that they are doing it anonymously and officially, let us know. That would be creepy.

A bunch of us have been having variations on this same conversation for YEARS. ("Disney is a business, they'll make business based decisions...buy what you were contracted for...expect things to change over time...if you aren't getting your value, its time to sell.") We all start to sound alike. But I'm pretty sure none of us work for Disney.

P.S. It would be nice if we did, we'd get the CM discounts....

I'll give you creepy. But honestly I think every single major company monitors web traffic in one form of another re. their product.

Hope your back starts to feel better!!!

Thanks alot. They just implanted a morphine pump under my right rib. This pumps morphine to my spinal canal. It takes about 6 months to balance it out. Downside......No Mission to Space or Rollercoasters in my future.....well maybe space mountain refurb once....LOL

i actualy worked for the contracted valet company ..and in regards to DVC parking not being free anymore its because DISNEY decided that , not the contracted company . TRUST me their is virtualy NO say when it comes to anything . its all DISNEY's doing .

i actualy worked for the contracted valet company ..and in regards to DVC parking not being free anymore its because DISNEY decided that , not the contracted company . TRUST me their is virtualy NO say when it comes to anything . its all DISNEY's doing .

Possible, but a logical reason that DISNEY would have an interest as to whether the contractor offers a discount or free service is....? I mean, surely Disney does not control the prices at shops not owned by them. It is like saying a landlord controls the prices that a shop in the mall can charge.

Especially considering it would likely slightly boost DVC sales in a bad economy. How would it be in Disney's interest to do so?

I'm sorry if anyone has lost their faith in Santa Claus over the loss of valet parking. But "faith, trust and pixie dust" is a work of fiction - not something you should believe when handing a corporation a five figure check.

And in the end, it really depends - does the system, as it exists in reality now - provide enough value for you to stay. If the answer is yes, stay. If its no, sell. We'd all LIKE things to be different...but we really only have the power of staying or selling.

How would you feel if Disney contracted Mears to provide all DVC bus and boat transportation due to better efficiency? Disney would no longer be responsible for maintenance, payroll, insurance, etc. Then approx. one year later, Disney removes transportation costs from our dues and calls it a member enhancement. The following year while you’re on vacation, you wake up and head to the MK bus and learn you have to pay $12.00 per person. Other Orlando transportation services would charge much more, so that wouldn’t be unreasonable.

Possible, but a logical reason that DISNEY would have an interest as to whether the contractor offers a discount or free service is....? I mean, surely Disney does not control the prices at shops not owned by them. It is like saying a landlord controls the prices that a shop in the mall can charge.?

I stopped in a retail store unaware it was on Disney property to purchase a lottery ticket. The cashier told me Disney doesn’t allow gambling products to be sold. Disney wouldn’t have purchased all the land if they didn’t want control of the inner workings.

Why should any contractor, no matter how much the service cost, provide that service for free because you purchased a timeshare? You purchased the timeshare from Disney/DVC NOT the valet contractor. Disney/DVC no longer operates the valet service.
But Disney does set the rules. Look, I can easily accept the loss of free valet. But I can't accept the buck-passing some are doing for Disney.

Do we honestly think the contractor was voluntarily giving away free parking out of the goodness of it's heart. And then the contractor woke up one day and decided to long longer offer it?

The only reason for the contractor to offer free parking to DVC member is Disney required it. Then when Disney renegotiated the deal, Disney removed the requirement. The only reason to remove the requirement was to get a better deal from the contractor.

Giving away free valet parking to DVC members costs Disney money. Doesn't matter of Disney is providing the parking, or if it's done through a contractor. Having the contractor between Disney and the customer makes the cost harder to see, but it's still there. Disney made a decision to stop paying that cost. Fine, that's their business.

But let's stop pretending this wasn't Disney's decision.

How would you feel if Disney contracted Mears to provide all DVC bus and boat transportation due to better efficiency? Disney would no longer be responsible for maintenance, payroll, insurance, etc. Then approx. one year later, Disney removes transportation costs from our dues and calls it a member enhancement. The following year while you’re on vacation, you wake up and head to the MK bus and learn you have to pay $12.00 per person. Other Orlando transportation services would charge much more, so that wouldn’t be unreasonable.

You realize they could close the parks completely, and all we'd have is the resorts. Or that each individual DVC resort could be managed by an outside enity and no longer part of DVC as a whole.

DME is Mears contracted, so it is certainly possible. But there is also the consideration of how MANY members, (the vast majority of membership) it would affect as opposed to a valet perk. Also realize that Transportation is funded several different ways, not entirely by dues. A portion of every multi day park ticket goes to transportation. This is not true of valet parking services. And DVC could possibly negotiate a discounted rate. I would hope most folks knew that going in, or at least read the documents during the time period they had to rescind.

It still boils down to whether you feel DVC continues to fill your overall vacation needs for what you pay. It is, at it's core, a timeshare, nothing more, nothing less...and if your vacation habits change, or you no longer feel there is any value in the use of your ownership....like any other timeshare, it would be time to sell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter