No EP--tell me the positive stories

mommymanda

Mouseketeer
I know Express is a great option, and many love it. Being such a busy board and so many options I know there are plenty who have enjoyed the parks without an Express Pass.

I keep leaning towards Cabana Bay for my family. I like the space and budget...of course no EP included.

My plan is late August (2022) Most likely a 5 day park to park passe (Mon-Fri parks). Not rope drop family, but will stay till close.

When it came to Disney trips I used my fastpass for the initial prebooked rides each day. Usually only 2 fit in our schedule. Lol than never figured out how to book more, so we used standby...these were also late August trips and maybe once per trip we found waits extreme. Opening of snow white an example. Yet one year we went out despite torrential rain and kids rode Areosmith three times in a row.

I'd love to hear from universal travellers who have had great trips without the passes.

We did no EPs but it was mid-January. Still on the busy side because one day was MLK Jr. Day and there were a lot of international guests. But, we did open to close. We barely made the early entry hours each day because it was just so early but we were there by official opening each day and that truly is necessary. It will never be as quiet as it is at opening. That's when the short lines are. There are some at the end of the day too but not like the AM. And if you are HP fans then getting to experience those areas with small crowds is so much better. I would go on day 1 for EE and then, if you decide it isn't for you, don't do it your other days. But, don't try and roll up at 11am with no plan. You'll have a frustrating day. Ride the headliners in the AM, play in play areas and hit shows and things with reasonable lines mid-day (and avoid Hogsmeade 12-4 as it's wall to wall people). After 4-5, lines should reduce.

There are many guests that do not buy the add on tickets
They watch the site for when waits are reasonable or short

Have you checked how much Express cost for each person each day? It might be worth it to change to a resort that EP are included. Or buy EP for a couple of days.
August will be hot, so waiting in line will not be fun.
Only thing I don't like about EP is that they don't include the newest rides.

I stayed at Cabana. Great place.

5 days is enough to do everything you want without EP, especially if you’re on weekdays at the end of August when lots of districts have gone back to school.

I urge you to reconsider rope drop. That EPA time is golden for getting things done. My best advice is to get there early, and ride what you can. During the heat of the day, do shows, a sit down lunch, or go back to the hotel for pool time. Midday will be the worst for both weather and lines. Then go back in the evening.

One thing to remember is that as crowds drop, so do the hours. By mid-August, the park closing times are only 7 or 8, so a willingness to stay until closing doesn’t really get you much advantage in crowd levels or cooling off.

Last edited:
I know Express is a great option, and many love it. Being such a busy board and so many options I know there are plenty who have enjoyed the parks without an Express Pass.

I keep leaning towards Cabana Bay for my family. I like the space and budget...of course no EP included.

My plan is late August (2022) Most likely a 5 day park to park passe (Mon-Fri parks). Not rope drop family, but will stay till close.

When it came to Disney trips I used my fastpass for the initial prebooked rides each day. Usually only 2 fit in our schedule. Lol than never figured out how to book more, so we used standby...these were also late August trips and maybe once per trip we found waits extreme. Opening of snow white an example. Yet one year we went out despite torrential rain and kids rode Areosmith three times in a row.

I'd love to hear from universal travellers who have had great trips without the passes.
I would download the App if you haven’t already and watch the wait times this year over your trip days for next year. That will give you a good idea, also watch the weather over those days. Thunderstorms happen to some extent everyday, usually in the afternoon.

For your positive experience: 7/22-7/27, we did fine without express in the morning. We did do early entry and went straight to Gringott’s. We like the Universal side better so I’m sure that helped. Line to go into islands was across the bridge. We came in at Margaritaville ( stayed at Sapphire Falls). Nights were busy, but doable if you don’t mind waiting in lines. We don’t care for lines over 30 minutes so we have the Premier APs that have after 4 express. We take a midday break so that works for us. If you are ok with 50-60 minute waits you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Our first trip was 5 days at CB during Spring Break 2017, which should be much more crowded than late August weekdays as kids will be in school. The key for us was EE/rope drop, not only to avoid the crowds but also the heat. Since you've been to DW in August, you're probably familiar with what to expect. If you skip the mornings, then your waits on rides will obviously be longer but you'll be fine if you don't mind lines.

Have you considered getting at least one annual pass? A 5-day park-to-park ticket is at least $330, while Seasonal Pass is is $350. If there is any chance of a second trip within a year, the AP is great for the whole family. But more importantly, it opens up the APH rates, which usually save 30-45% off of the standard rate.

For example, this Aug 23-27 (https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/d...ls=&ada=0&currid=1&vouchercode=&attendeeCode=):

- CB is $184/nt standard rate
- CB is $104/nt APH rate
- RPR is $214/nt APH rate
- HRH/PBH are $234/nt APH rate

At the deluxe resorts you get:

- EPs for your stay, which let you sleep in and still not have to deal with lines on most rides. Once you have EPs, it is hard to give them up. Much, much better than Fastpasses as DW
- Walking/Boat access to CityWalk and the parks, that bypass the CityWalk security hub. This probably saves 15 minutes each time you travel to/from the resorts. So hopping back for a mid-afternoon nap is easy.
- Nicer hotel/room. Less noise from adjacent rooms and softer beds are a great perk
- If size is important, the PBH rooms are bigger than the family suite at CB

While you would likely have a good trip at CB, the deluxe resorts make for a great relaxing trip...

we're not a rope drop family either, but I pushed hard to get us there at least one if not 2 days. it's a huge difference. I make the argument that we rope drop 2 days (one day for each park) then sleep in the rest of the time. Also single rider line can help.

Agree with the previous poster that said to get at least one Annual Pass. The discounts for the hotel and everything else will pay for the extra $20 several times over.

To answer your actual question - it was a while ago, but my group went the first week of June 2017 with no Express Pass. We did have Early Entry from staying at Cabana Bay.

We had three days at the parks and even with no EP and one pool afternoon, we did everything we wanted to do and had a ton of fun.

Taking advantage of Early Entry did help us a lot, especially with high demand areas like Harry Potter. We used the app to set alerts for wait time drops. One of my friends made a custom deck for her Heads Up game app and we played it while waiting in line. We planned for rollercoasters in the mornings because it rained every afternoon. We wore ponchos and did Harry Potter spells in the rain when all the indoor rides had 90+ minute waits due to an extended rainstorm one day. We closed out the park every night, got into ride lines shortly before the park closing announcements, took photos in Diagon Alley with no one else in it by waiting them out.

We had a really great time on a pretty tight budget. It may be a little different in August 2020, I don't know how the crowd levels directly compare to each other, then vs now. But if you go in prepared, knowing what the general wait times are going to be, what you're interested in riding and what you're interested in eating, I don't think there's any reason you can't have a great time EP-free.

Hey! I've been to Universal twice without express passes and had a great time both times. It means a little more time in lines, but i found a lot of the lines to be well themed and engaging anyway. 5 days is loads of time for you to get on everything you want to multiple times. If it gets super busy and lines are long, slow down the pace and sit down for a drink and bite to eat or go for a swim. You are going to have a fabulous time!!! I think people really hype up the express passes, but i didnt feel like i was missing out at all.

I think people really hype up the express passes, but i didnt feel like i was missing out at all.
I understand what you are saying, but there is a reason for the hype. We fell in love with UO on our first CB trip. But once we stayed at a deluxe resort and got EPs, it took things to a whole different level.

With EPs, we can do all of the rides in a park in less than 3 hours during busy days, even when sleeping in late. It only takes a couple 60+ minute standby lines (vs 10-15 minute EP lines) to really add up. That time can be used to explore all of the details in the parks, go to shops, hit the pools, etc. It just makes the trip more relaxing.

I understand what you are saying, but there is a reason for the hype. We fell in love with UO on our first CB trip. But once we stayed at a deluxe resort and got EPs, it took things to a whole different level.

With EPs, we can do all of the rides in a park in less than 3 hours during busy days, even when sleeping in late. It only takes a couple 60+ minute standby lines (vs 10-15 minute EP lines) to really add up. That time can be used to explore all of the details in the parks, go to shops, hit the pools, etc. It just makes the trip more relaxing.
That's super fair, but not everyone can afford the express passes, and I think that sometimes the way this forum talks about them it almost seems like it's not worth going if you can't get them.
Don't get me wrong, I will absolutely consider it, by you can still have a great trip without

When a person goes with friends or family to the parks, it’s great to have someone to talk to while in lines

I go solo and stay with one of the premier hotels for the free ep as it’s rare that others in line would strike up a conversation to pass their time with me

Yes it’s a costly vacation but worth it to me

Download the App and keep an eye on wait times (note that some are exaggerated). As mentioned, many of the queues are interesting. An hour in the Hagrids line, Spiderman line, Kong line, etc. is very different than an hour spent in line at Six Flags...

You will for sure get on more rides with EP. But you can also get on every ride without EP. And there are a whole pile of things that EP won't help with - dining, exploring, HP wands, most shows, Hagrids / Velocicoaster, early entry, pool time.

Late Aug. on weekdays should be low lines and low crowds overall (also low hours).

Honestly only your family can decide that. Lines will likely be 45-90 minutes with the exception of a few rides. If you are fine with waiting, then it will be great. Personally we can’t do it. Seeing the regular queue for the Mummy literally gave me anxiety and I wasn’t standing in it.

That's super fair, but not everyone can afford the express passes, and I think that sometimes the way this forum talks about them it almost seems like it's not worth going if you can't get them.
Don't get me wrong, I will absolutely consider it, by you can still have a great trip without

My research has kind of put me in this mindset...this trip is for the kids, probably one of the last all three will be with us at the same time. A lot of comments leave me thinking they will be miserable without EP.

I've loved the look of CB since I first started researching Universal years ago. Not to mention any premium hotel that fits us (5) is a minimum of $2500 more than CB. For us That's a big chunk.

All the AP/spilt stay break up the vacation makes me just want to plan Disney again. At least when planning there I know what needs to be done.

I had always read that Universal was much less stressful than Disney planning. I had hoped I'd just book a package through my Travel agent and sit back. Now I'm feeling confused and unsure how to make this a great family trip.

Thank you nouvellefleur & Jennkneefir, it is nice to know that families are able to enjoy the vacation even without the Express Pass. That is definatley what I'm hoping to hear. I know we will have some waits, and that can be inconvenient...but I'd hope late August and five park days would help.

Last edited:
My research has kind of put me in this mindset...this trip is for the kids, probably one of the last all three will be with us at the same time. A lot of comments leave me thinking they will be miserable without EP.

I've loved the look of CB since I first started researching Universal years ago. Not to mention any premium hotel that fits us (5) is a minimum of $1500 more than CB. For us That's a big chunk.

All the AP/spilt stay break up the vacation makes me just want to plan Disney again. At least when planning there I know what needs to be done.

I had always read that Universal was much less stressful than Disney planning. I had hoped I'd just book a package through my Travel agent and sit back. Now I'm feeling confused and unsure how to make this a great family trip.

Thank you nouvellefleur & Jennkneefir, it is nice to know that families are able to enjoy the vacation even without the Express Pass. That is definatley what I'm hoping to hear. I know we will have some waits, and that can be inconvenient...but I'd hope late August and five park days would help.

We've done trips both with and without express pass. And all of our trips have been great.

You're going late August, which is slower than the height of summer, and also you're doing Monday to Friday. I'll show you something that I think will help put your mind at ease. Here are the historical hourly wait times for the headliners in both parks on the 21st of August, 2019 (pre-pandemic). I would wager late August 2022 will probably be similar, or perhaps even better as since that time, another major headline attraction has been added to IOA (which helps disperse crowds futher) plus the addition of the Bourne Stunt show at Studios (which also eats people to help with crowd dispersion). The only attraction that had what I would call a "grueling" wait was Hagrid's, but at the time it was still only a couple months old (and still dealing with reliability issues). So as you will see, IMO waits were VERY reasonable, sure they hit some heavier times mid-day, but with 5 days at the parks these are PERFECT times to head back to CB to enjoy the pool!

IOA

I can only do 10 images per post, so I will put in USF in the next post shortly

So, Cabana Bay is a really cool resort- that retro theme is really well done. But, it is a value hotel with a great resort. Tons of wonderful amenities like pools, bowling, lazy river...the actual room is only ok. The bedding is not super awesome and it just has a cheaper feel in the room. If you aren't used to high end hotels then you won't notice much difference; if you are then it might come up lacking a bit. Just something I wanted to point out since I know you are taken with it and I don't want you to be disappointed.
If you plan to do Volcano Bay a bunch, keep CB. But, if you won't be doing it much, look at Sapphire Falls if you can't be swayed to one of the EP hotels. :) SF has an edge over Cabana Bay- boat transportation vs bus. Shorter security line, lots less walking. They have some great family suites at SF.
I know you are frustrated because Universal is supposed to be easy and it's not as easy as you thought. But, the posters here are honestly just trying to help you see pros and cons so you can make an informed decision.
With 5 days, you should be fine without EPs. But, no EPs and not willing to get there in the AM for opening, that's a hesitation. I am not sure still what time you are planning to hit the parks. If you mean you'll get there at 9- great! If you mean you want lazy mornings and arrive at 11, not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter