Nikon D200... Now official!

Geoff_M

DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
If you're looking at a Nikon dSLR in the near, near, future... hang on a couple of days before making that choice. Nikon's UK site let slip some images (confirmed by multiple viewers before they were yanked) of the long awaited D200. There also just happens to be a "product announcement" press event scheduled by Nikon on November 1. Hmmmm, I wonder what that is?

Here are the images: http://www.dearingfilm.com/d200.html

Rumors are it's either a 10 or 12 MP camera at 5 fps with a street of ~$1,600

Also included is a new 18-200mm DX lens that appears to be aimed at the prosumer market.

OK, if I wasn't confused enough deciding between the D50 and Rebel XT now this... ;) I was planning on buying body only and adding a Canon or Nikon lens in the neighborhood of 28-200 so I would not be far off price wise than buying this...

Of course I want something I can buy and have a couple of weeks to play with before our trip in early December so if they announce on Tues that it will be released mid Dec I have another big decision to make, bring the old camera one more time and wait or go with what I've been looking at already... :rolleyes:

3060000000051196.JPG

Screen shot of D200 page.

Wow, finally. The D200 has been rumored for nearly 2 years now. Here's hoping that you guys are accurate and there will be a camera announcement tomorrow. Now the question becomes, what will this do to the D2X market. Between the D200 driving the price point down and the Canon 5D driving the feature set up it would appear that Nikon will be on the defensive for a while.

Jeff

It's official: Nikon USA D200 Page

10.2 MP
New CAM1000 11-point AF module
ISO 100-1600 (3200 with "boost")
5 FPS
2.5" rear LCD
Largest top LCD of any dSLR
All metal body
vertical grip option

MAP $1,699

Phil Askey's hands-on look: Link "From a features, control and performance point of view the D200 is closer to the D2X than any other model."

Man, I wish I was in the market for a new one!

What timing! I actually will be in the market for a new body in the next 6-9 months, just enough time to make sure the bugs are worked out. The specs look really sweet! I like that it will accomodate AA batteries as a backup power source.

Anne

I'm not looking... I'm not looking... After months of research I've decided on the Rebel XT... I'm not looking...

I'm happy with my D70S
I'm happy with my D70S
I'm happy with my D70S
I'm happy with my D70S
I'm happy with my D70S
I'm happy with my D70S

Besides, I don't know what I would do with a camera that spiffy!

ducklite said:
What timing! I actually will be in the market for a new body in the next 6-9 months, just enough time to make sure the bugs are worked out.

Be really careful, I made that comment to my wife and the next thing I knew I was eating lots of salad and had a gym membership. It seems the bugs weren't the only ones she wanted to work out.

Jeff

AZ JazzyJ said:
Be really careful, I made that comment to my wife and the next thing I knew I was eating lots of salad and had a gym membership. It seems the bugs weren't the only ones she wanted to work out.

Jeff

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Anne

I want.. No, I *NEED* that piece of glass!

18-200mm 3.5-5.6 ED-IF w\ VR!? While it's no straight f/2.8 or f/4, Nikon claims it (the VR II) to be good for 4 stops! That's highly impressive...

I really reallly want to see some sample images on that glass. I have the 24-120 (non VR) on my D100 now for a "daily" use and would love to replace it with the 18-200mm.

I might force myself to sell my 105mm Micro f/2.8 before I leave for Disney in February...

From the Nikonian boards (which are really great, like this one!)

"the lens (18-200VR) lists at 669.95. That plus the D200 list of 1699.95 puts the list price ($2369.90) way above that of the D70 body and lens"

No, we would not have spent $2369 for a camera plus lens. I'll say it again:

I love my D70S

Even at that price, I'm still quite interested. That lens might work out VERY well for me. I have a 18-70 1:35-4.5 ED AF lens, as well as a 80-200 1:2.8 ED. What I really need is something that will give me a range of about 40-160, but more would be better! The concern is the f/3.5-5.6, because so much of my work is done with constantly changing and often low light levels with unpredictable and sometimes fast moving subjects.

I might just need to buy the body. Plenty of time to think on it.

Anne

The 18-200 Nikon lens is really drool inducing... even for a Canon user like me. However, $1700 for a body which (other than MP) is about the same as the performance of a 20D is just ridiculous. Especially when you can get the "budget version" of 20D... which is the XT for almost half the price.

Still, like I said, I want that lens.

However, $1700 for a body which (other than MP) is about the same as the performance of a 20D is just ridiculous.
If you look at DPReview, Phil Askey has actually gotten to play around with a D200 for his preview of the camera. He doesn't think the appropriate comparison in the Canon family is the 20D, it's the 5D:
The Nikon D200 was announced on 1st November 2005, some three and a half years since Nikon revealed their first prosumer digital SLR, the D100. It's fair to say however that the D200 is a completely different beast altogether, it shares far more with its 'bigger brother' the the D2X than its earlier namesake. The D200 has the robust build quality of the D2X, a 10.2 million pixel CCD sensor and a compact design more like the D100. Just as the D100 the D200 has a CCD sensor, unlike the D2X which utilized a CMOS sensor. It's clear that this camera is aimed at the same kind of market as the recently announced Canon EOS 5D. From a features, control and performance point of view the D200 is closer to the D2X than any other model.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/
Given the fact that Phil's had his hands on one (and is a Canon shooter himself), I think we can give his comments some credence. Yeah, I know, the 5D is a full frame camera. As a Nikon shooter, I don't care as a 10.5mm fisheye will give me all the angle I need. I've never fully come to understand the FF fixation that some people have. The D2X showed that it is possible to match or even surpass the resolution of larger sensors.

Especially when you can get the "budget version" of 20D... which is the XT for almost half the price.
But with the XT's lower price you'd lose:
2 MP resolution (granted, not a major deal)
2 fps
All metal, weather sealed, body
Larger buffer
Faster flash sync
faster AF (probably, but indications look good for this to be so)
A whole lot of customization flexibility.

If Phil's comments hold, than the D200 isn't a revamped D100, it's a new beast that seems to have inherited a lot of stuff from the D2X.

I'm not saying the D200 is for everyone, but if you're a serious shooter, it's looking like a winner!

Very true, Geoff. But I've taken many pictures with the 5D (just received it last week) and its 1600 ISO is actually cleaner than D50/D70 ISO400. ISO 100 is a tad cleaner than D50/D70 at the same level. Heck, even at ISO 1600 Boost Mode (equivalent to ISO3200), the noise level is only a tad noisier than D50/70 ISO 400.

Obviously I've never tested the D200, but I honestly doubt that Nikon (or any manufacturer, including Canon) will be able to reduce that much noise within a generation or two. As you might have noticed, high ISO performance is the number one thing on my list, second is full frame (due to better dynamic range -- although quite honestly somewhat argueable -- and far less distortion -- this is actually due to the physical limitation of any lens at 18mm -- at 28mm focal length)

On the other hand, if I've not yet own a slew of Canon lenses, I would buy the D200 with the accompanying 18-200 VR lens in a heartbeat. It's a great walkaround combo.

Bump from the dead!

So has anyone had a chance to personally lay their hands upon the 18-200mm?

Mine is on order through my local Ritz Camera. I could have got it faster and cheaper elsewhere, but I've been extremely pleased at my local Ritz. Their service has been far superior than our local "pro" camera store.

Anyhow.. Sadly, mine looks as though it won't arrive before I leave on the 7th.

Just curious to see what some Dis'ers might have to say about it.

I got my 18-200 VR lens on Jan 5 from 17th Strret Photo . I just kept checking in with them. :surfweb: I was just blessed with some pixie dust. pixiedust: Their service was very excellent (same day shipping, not pushy) .

I have a D50. I love the lens so far. You need to watch out when using the built-in flash (especially if you use the hood). The attached flash (SB-600) poses no problems.

I will be giving it quite the workout at WDW as we'll be there 2 weeks. party:

LordAthens said:
Bump from the dead!

So has anyone had a chance to personally lay their hands upon the 18-200mm?

Mine is on order through my local Ritz Camera. I could have got it faster and cheaper elsewhere, but I've been extremely pleased at my local Ritz. Their service has been far superior than our local "pro" camera store.

Anyhow.. Sadly, mine looks as though it won't arrive before I leave on the 7th.

Just curious to see what some Dis'ers might have to say about it.

I was playing with one on a D2X yesterday, very nice to both. The glass on the 18-200 is sweet. It's also lighter than my 80-200 which can be a bear to handle. I'll probably buy the 18-200 when I buy the D2X around the end of the year unless I sell a few more photo's to labels than I'm expecting to before then.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter