News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...rlds-top-rival-is-winning-the-water-park.aspx

Interesting article about the water park war in central Florida. Clearly Disney needs to step up and bring something new to the table. It has me wondering whether a whole new park needs to happen or just some serious new slides coming to either of the 2.

I was considering making a thread about this but I didn’t know how many people would want to be apart of it. If anyone thinks this deserves a thread of its own I’ll make it since I would love to have this conversation

Last edited:
I chatted with one of the contractor's working on Universal's 4th (3rd) gate last week. The following came up:

* There will be 4 lands.
* LOTR is not one of them
* The dreamworks land is not a full dreamworks land is instead based on a single license. He described that license as "puzzling". My own conjecture, not confirmed by him, is that it is based on Trolls.
* Fantastic Beasts is definitely one of them
* A Super Nintendo world will be one of them, and fits much of the speculation already out there
* The 4th land he wouldn't confirm, other than to say that it hadn't come up on any oft he rumor boards yet. The lead designer has been switched out on it at least once already due to things not coming together.
* Potentially more interesting was he mentioned that no sites have touched on "how the park will work" yet. Going on to say he expects a lot of public backlash if they opt to keep it in it's current form by the time the announce things publicly. He said they are putting technology ahead of story in regards to this.

My suspicion is it is an extension of the line based systems they introduced at Volcano Bay (tapu tapu) and the Fallon ride queue. And I think he was suggesting that he felt this mechanism didn't jive well with the story of the rides. However, again, that is my read of the situation and not confirmed by anyone else.

I think the main takeaways here are that LOTR isn't part of it, the 4th land has not been guessed by anyone yet, and that there is some major underlying technology that affects "how the park works" that is expected by some within the project to provoke a backlash. Nothing ground breaking, but it's more concrete than most of what I've read out there.

edit: to clarify a bit further, I suspect the line system is the technology but I didn't explain why I thought it would cause backlash. My suspicion is they are trying to get rid of line queues completely. Not that people love queues, but it is what people are used to and I can see many folks feeling as though having a schedule of what time to be at what ride takes away the freedom of exploring a park. It would also kill the storyline structure if people are more concerned about what time they need to be at what attraction versus just getting lost in the park.

Thanks for the post - I can't say there is anything that is unbelievable in this statement. (Well, that they would build a land based on Trolls - but that's just YOUR speculation.) And you very well could be right about the "no lines" concept. I think it would be very hard to incorporate that to 100% of a theme park, but it could work. I COULD for instance see something like SW:GE have some sort of "reserved only" system for their two rides where you can either get a FP+ ahead of time, OR you can get a reservation for one of the rides the day of. Keep say 50% of the slots for FP and 50% of the slots for day of and don't have a queue. If you limit it to only a couple of rides, it could work pretty well. ALL rides could be problematic with the average Joe that isn't any good at planning anything and just randomly stumbles onto the next ride they will ride. (This is a pretty big percentage of people.)

Why would they when they have a such a hot property to "force" you to go 3 different parks? They already require you to get their version of a park hopper as the ONLY way to ride a Potter-based attraction, why is having more Potter in a 3rd park that shocking?

Exactly - Harry Potter across 3 theme parks is also known as "Harry Potter an the ultimate Money Grab"

I’ve gotta say guys, I LOVE Pixar Pier and completely expected to be totally indifferent to it.... I can’t even explain why really, it just is so atmospheric. I don’t disagree that the theming choices in that park are out of whack, but whenever I’m within Pixar Pier, I truly don’t care. The music, the small details in the theming, Lamplight Lounge, even the new games are all wins in my book.
I'm trying to withhold absolute judgment until I see it for myself next month. Growing up with Paradise Pier, it is hard to think that one of my favorite areas of DCA is now themed totally differently.

My main issue with it so far is that they opened an "overlay" with it only being 60% completed. How they didn't have a candy shop open is beyond me. Not only that...How they didn't have a candy shop open for a month after the land opened?

I'm honestly afraid to ride the Incredicoaster. That is my #1 worry, and that will probably be more than half of my opinion of Pixar Pier. I'm already vocal about that rollercoaster, but based on videos. I feel like I will like it more at night than during the day. I have also been against Pixar Pier since D23 since that was by far my least favorite announcement coming out of the Parks and Resort Presentation.

So, I hope I like it, but I am worried right now. We will see next month! :)

Thank you for your opinion though. The great thing about this world is everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I am really happy you enjoy it, and glad to hear that someone really enjoys the theming. :)

Was it not already confirmed that Festival of the Arts is returning? I had seen previously that Kevin-John was working on his pieces for that festival (the main one is Tower of Terror based) and he usually doesn't mention things like that if not already officially ok to do so

Either way, glad it is returning and hope they continue to add to it
It might have been confirmed. I went based on the WDW website where they don't even have dates/months listed. So, I figured the announcement saying this January was new. I'm assuming we all figured it would start in January, but anything is not confirmed until Disney gives a time-table.

I'm just happy the Broadway Series is returning, because I really want to make it to this festival this year with this as the main reason in going. :D

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...rlds-top-rival-is-winning-the-water-park.aspx

Interesting article about the water park war in central Florida. Clearly Disney needs to step up and bring something new to the table. It has me wondering whether a whole new park needs to happen or just some serious new slides coming to either of the 2.

I was considering making a thread about this but I didn’t know how many people would want to be apart of it. If anyone thinks this deserves a thread of its own I’ll make it since I would love to have this conversation

Now that my daughter is water park/swimming pool obsessed, I’m going to have to visit water parks more often. Therer’s a good point here, are they waiting to clear some capital? Or are they in the verge of something huge (FoP, SW:GE). It wasn’t that long ago there was a Viking on here saying Disney hasn’t done anything new and is losing.

It might have been confirmed. I went based on the WDW website where they don't even have dates/months listed. So, I figured the announcement saying this January was new. I'm assuming we all figured it would start in January, but anything is not confirmed until Disney gives a time-table.

I'm just happy the Broadway Series is returning, because I really want to make it to this festival this year with this as the main reason in going. :D

Maybe I’m just a sucker for EPCOT, but, I really hope to see Festival of the Arts someday.

Motley fool has always been critical with Disney. I'd actually question if water parks are a good option as I've seen in other places attendance at water parks in general have been dropping.

Why would they when they have a such a hot property to "force" you to go 3 different parks? They already require you to get their version of a park hopper as the ONLY way to ride a Potter-based attraction, why is having more Potter in a 3rd park that shocking?
It's not shocking at all, actually. I am more disappointed than anything.

I'm trying to withhold absolute judgment until I see it for myself next month. Growing up with Paradise Pier, it is hard to think that one of my favorite areas of DCA is now themed totally differently.

My main issue with it so far is that they opened an "overlay" with it only being 60% completed. How they didn't have a candy shop open is beyond me. Not only that...How they didn't have a candy shop open for a month after the land opened?

I'm honestly afraid to ride the Incredicoaster. That is my #1 worry, and that will probably be more than half of my opinion of Pixar Pier. I'm already vocal about that rollercoaster, but based on videos. I feel like I will like it more at night than during the day. I have also been against Pixar Pier since D23 since that was by far my least favorite announcement coming out of the Parks and Resort Presentation.

So, I hope I like it, but I am worried right now. We will see next month! :)

Thank you for your opinion though. The great thing about this world is everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I am really happy you enjoy it, and glad to hear that someone really enjoys the theming. :)

I agree with @PaintsWithAllTheColors I like the atmosphere of Pixar Pier.
Pixar Pier is way better in person than in photos/videos. The only thing that annoys me about Pixar Pier is that they opened half of it on the “grand opening”. They really couldn’t get a carousel and candy store open in time. Incredicoaster was also super fun and way better in person than video. I’ve never visited Paradise Pier or rode California Screamin so I’m not sure if I just like the general Pier atmosphere or the Pixar overlay to both the pier and coaster.

Boy,was this article written by comcast? Essentially "Volcano Bay is so brilliant and revolutionary how can Disney not respond?" I think where this article misses the mark is in whether Disney really cares:
Theme park attendance is 55.9 million people.
Water park attendance is 4.1 million people - a mere 7% of the theme park attendance. In addition, the revenue here is less - Day tickets are <60%, and certainly the food and merchandise revenues are significantly less. When you throw in the resorts and DS, it's quite possible that the water parks are something like 1% of the total revenue in Florida.

Disney may also well consider that these water parks are just there as an adder for the theme parks. By driving theme park attendance up, it will maintain water park attendance.

Motley fool has always been critical with Disney. I'd actually question if water parks are a good option as I've seen in other places attendance at water parks in general have been dropping.

Considering the Water Parks arent really a huge part of WDWs profit, I doubt we will see much of a change. They have more then enough space to deal with current capacity and really are there as a option for Locals and those who go to Disney for more than 5 days. There maybe some minor adjustments and rehabs to some rides, but considering water rides tend to cost more than other rides, and because the Water parks at WDW arent really cash cows, I doubt we will see Disney invest any time soon in there water parks. Why invest heavily into something that really doesnt bring in the majority of your guests?

Disney may also well consider that these water parks are just there as an adder for the theme parks. By driving theme park attendance up, it will maintain water park attendance.

The reverse of this is also probably true. Building bigger, better water parks at Disney will probably drive down some small percent of theme park attendance. It's a balancing act. I suspect Disney prefers guests do not focus on their waterparks. If you want to do one, they have 2 really good ones, even if a bit aged. It's like when people have a "resort day". It isn't a negative for Disney, you are still there spending money in restaurants, gift shops, spas, golf courses, etc., but it's nowhere near as big a positive as a park day. So the waterparks don't have to be the greatest ones around. They just have to be good enough to keep people happy on alternative days to the primary activity.

I think I’ll make a thread dedicated to the water parks

EDIT: The thread is up. Let’s continue this conversation over there

Boy,was this article written by comcast? Essentially "Volcano Bay is so brilliant and revolutionary how can Disney not respond?" I think where this article misses the mark is in whether Disney really cares:
Theme park attendance is 55.9 million people.
Water park attendance is 4.1 million people - a mere 7% of the theme park attendance. In addition, the revenue here is less - Day tickets are <60%, and certainly the food and merchandise revenues are significantly less. When you throw in the resorts and DS, it's quite possible that the water parks are something like 1% of the total revenue in Florida.

Valid point, Disney probably won’t be crying about losing the water park wars. Attractions can be closed for bad weather, cold weather, etc.

We all know, Florida Disney execs are fine letting something stay a well past its welcome (Stitch). People are still buying water park tickets, and I’d assume that includes a lot of people who already have a theme park ticket, AP, or even a Park hopper for that day.

I still could see them rolling out something really big someday if they see enough money leaving property.

Basically, intreaguing point to the article.

I remember going to Blizzard Beach as a kid. We must have had park hopper plus tickets that included the water park entry!

We actually had the hopper plus tickets (with magical extras or whatever they call it) for our Honeymoon 2 years ago which included the water parks and even mini golf but we were not there long enough to take advantage of that! 8 day trip with 7 day tickets. Water parks just weren’t a priority for us. They probably won’t be on any future trips.

All that to say I’m sure I’m not the exception, and it makes sense to me that the waterparks are just never as popular as the parks. ;)

Did anyone see the AP e-mail about "New V.I.PASSHOLDER Nights?"

New V.I.PASSHOLDER Nights - For our Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus and Premier Passholders, enjoy special after-hours access to some of your favorite experiences on select dates starting August 2018.

It seems like DVC Moonlight Magic, but for APs. I was trying to load the webpage with details on my phone, but it won't load.

ETA: This is all I can see
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 1.11.09 PM.png

New V.I.PASSHOLDER Nights - For our Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus and Premier Passholders, enjoy special after-hours access to some of your favorite experiences on select dates starting August 2018.

It seems like DVC Moonlight Magic, but for APs. I was trying to load the webpage with details on my phone, but it won't load.

ETA: This is all I can see
View attachment 339073

I got the email too - there aren't details beyond this. Looks like it will be done like the Toy Story AP days. You will get an email if you are invited, and you will have to register from there.

It's listed on Passholder page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter