News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy. July with low crowds. Just can’t get over it.

I think I'm especially surprised because it seems the last couple summers have had lower crowds, so I expected they might pick back up this year just from enough people chasing the myth of low crowds = no people and moving their trips to the summer. It seems the weather issue combined with more and more people being willing to take their kids out of school for vacations might be enough to keep the summers lower again. Hope it keeps up for next year!

I think I'm especially surprised because it seems the last couple summers have had lower crowds, so I expected they might pick back up this year just from enough people chasing the myth of low crowds = no people and moving their trips to the summer. It seems the weather issue combined with more and more people being willing to take their kids out of school for vacations might be enough to keep the summers lower again. Hope it keeps up for next year!

I think you are right on. Wonder if promotions, etc having an impact spreading summer crowds in traditionally low seasons. If you already hated the hot weather.....here’s another reason to move that vacation.

I am hoping it stays that way in 2 weeks! Wahoo!

It's the calm before the (Star Wars) storm.

Everyone I know that goes to WDW is waiting for SW to open. Lots of people that I know that never go to WDW are waiting to go when SW opens. I think crowds will be unlike anything we've seen when SW opens.
Yep, I totally agree. I am hoping that this trend continues through early fall next year, so we can go with our daughter and son-in-law, and their then five year old son for his first trip. While we are Star Wars fans, we're not fanatics, so I can wait a while before fighting the madness that will happen when those doors open!

So thought I would pass this along here as I know it was a topic of discussion ...

I see on John Saccheri's (Big Fat Panda's) Facebook page he commented on the "new" World of Disney and said he spoke to a few cast members there, including a manager, who said it is "no where near finished" - even the parts that are open, so seems like more "Disney" is still to come to it

just putting on my cynical hat, it is interesting that they are doing away with plastic bags in the Disney Stores as a "going green" initiative, but then now have this sponsored by a company that makes .... plastic bags

You absolutely read my mind! I was about to caution not to link that on the "no more bags" thread. lol

just putting on my cynical hat, it is interesting that they are doing away with plastic bags in the Disney Stores as a "going green" initiative, but then now have this sponsored by a company that makes .... plastic bags
Hmmmm......
This makes me wonder if the whole "Getting rid of plastic bags in the stores cause we're saving the environment" isn't just another money grab by Iger & Company.

Naaaaa..........
They're not that greedy.
I'm sure Disney wouldn't fleece their customers or lie to them just to make more profit.
(sarc off)

It's the calm before the (Star Wars) storm.

Everyone I know that goes to WDW is waiting for SW to open. Lots of people that I know that never go to WDW are waiting to go when SW opens. I think crowds will be unlike anything we've seen when SW opens.
I am sure that is some . but not sure if it is enough to affect things. Were there people waiting for Pandora to open and pushed back their vacations? I am sure.

But there are just as many going no matter one (me for example).

I am going in November of this year despite SWGE not opening yet, but since we haven't been since March. 2017, there will be PLENTY new for us - Pandora, Toy Story Land. So I opted to not "wait" for SWGE and

(NOTE: I am gambling (probably losing .. due to projected completion dates of SWGE) and getting an annual pass for Nov. 11, 2018 - Nov. 11, 2019 to experience the opening of TSL and MAYBE catching the opening of SWGE. Either way .. I am planning on 2-3 trips in that year potentially before SWGE opens.
(Just happens to work out .. the main reason getting an annual pass is to go on two 4-5 day trips before my daughter turns 3 and starts adding huge costs to the trips -- plus my sister's family is planning on going and we may meet them).

August crowds might get busier as schools in UK break up 20th July and those 6 weeks are a busy time for UK families to visit WDW. That said, last Summer was but not horrendously busy, was able to get a spot fpor the parade in Liberty Square 5 mins before the show started :)

We arrive Saturday and also got the TP crowd notice. Our AK Day is predicted to be a 3. I’ve been following times on the Lines App and I’m stunned at how low wait times have been the past few days (especially at DHS and MK). This is our first July trip (last trips were June, August and November 2013). I’m prepared for heat and rain and trying to be optimistic about wait times.

FWIW, we are going now and for Spring Break to avoid SW madness. It will probably be at least 3 to 4 years before we attempt again.

Hmmmm......
This makes me wonder if the whole "Getting rid of plastic bags in the stores cause we're saving the environment" isn't just another money grab by Iger & Company.

Naaaaa..........
They're not that greedy.
I'm sure Disney wouldn't fleece their customers or lie to them just to make more profit.
(sarc off)

well, I think it can be both ... I think most people would agree reducing the number of plastic bags is a good thing for the environment and good for Disney to spread a message of being "green" ... but when companies can do that AND save some $ (and make more $ by selling reusable bags) then it is a win-win

Just the timing of this sponsorship and that initiative is pretty bad optics to me

August crowds might get busier as schools in UK break up 20th July and those 6 weeks are a busy time for UK families to visit WDW. That said, last Summer was but not horrendously busy, was able to get a spot fpor the parade in Liberty Square 5 mins before the show started :)

I hope not too much - we are going the last week of August (our schools don't go back until after Labor Day so traditionally that has had lower crowds than July)

We are staying off site so only have 30 day FP window so have been playing around to see what is available 30 days out and, despite having a group of 11 people, found that pretty easy to get FP for everything other than FoP, SDD, AS2, and 7DMT. Everything else was available - Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Frozen, Soarin', Test Track, Big Thunder, ToT, etc.

I did try looking for smaller groups (break us up into multiple groups) and didn't impact things - same 4 had no availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter