News Round Up 2017

I was also confused by this....was this originally a display in EPCOT somewhere?
No, this is the model of Walt revealing the plans for EPCOT Center the city during the Wonderful World of Disney show. This model has always been there but is now behind walls likely for the changes into Walt Disney Presents.

No, this is the model of Walt revealing the plans for EPCOT Center the city during the Wonderful World of Disney show. This model has always been there but is now behind walls likely for the changes into Walt Disney Presents.
I got figured it out...read the article wrong....sheesh...duh!

Ah, got it...that first paragraph of the article is entirely confusing...at least for me ;)

Another interesting note from Hastin on twitter

Original Epcot center attraction hourly capacity

UoE 2400
Horizons 2700
World of Motion 3200
Imagination 2500
Living with the land 1600
Seas 1800
SSE 2400

Today
UoE 2400
SSE 2300
Soarin 2000
Living with the land 1500
Mission space mars 800
Mission space earth 800
Nemo 2000
Imagination 1500
Test track 1400

Interesting tweet from a Disney employee.

https://twitter.com/disneyshawn/status/896513702844932096

UoE may be outdated and not exactly hugely popular but IMO not everything needs to have hour+ lines. Also UoE was a huge people eater. You could pack hundreds into the ride at a time. You can't do that for coasters and simulator rides.
When do you think the last time was the UoE ACTUALLY ate up people anywhere near its capacity, such that its absence will really be felt from a crowd perspective? I can't imagine. But we've been skipping it for at least the past 8-9 yrs, so I don't heave recent personal experience.

Reactions: eXo

UoE 2400
Horizons 2700
World of Motion 3200
Imagination 2500
Seas 1800
SSE 2400

Today
UoE 2400
SSE 2300
Soarin 2000
Mission space mars 800
Mission space earth 800
Nemo 2000
Imagination 1500
Test track 1400

So, ride through capacity has decreased by about 2000 an hour while attendance has obviously grown over the years...

UoE 2400
Horizons 2700
World of Motion 3200
Imagination 2500
Seas 1800
SSE 2400

Today
UoE 2400
SSE 2300
Soarin 2000
Mission space mars 800
Mission space earth 800
Nemo 2000
Imagination 1500
Test track 1400
A thought I've had about original Epcot that's evident in that stat line. All the original rides for the most part were omnimovers. I get that each ride was different and well done in their own right, but that's all the park had. There was no diversity in ride type. So I think in some ways even though they were well done rides, that's part of how original Epcot had issues appealing to all people. Sorry to go way off topic but thought people here would be interested in the thought

UoE 2400
Horizons 2700
World of Motion 3200
Imagination 2500
Seas 1800
SSE 2400

Today
UoE 2400
SSE 2300
Soarin 2000
Mission space mars 800
Mission space earth 800
Nemo 2000
Imagination 1500
Test track 1400

Capacity only matters if it is being used. There is no way UoE was taking 2400 an hour on average. If it was only taking 800 an hour, which is probably generous based on the last few times I went through there, then a 1000 capacity coaster with a 40 minute line is eating up more people. The other thing to remember is we are also getting the Rat Ride, which has a capacity of 2200 in Paris (though those are often somewhat inflated numbers, I'm guessing more like 1800). So if you get a coaster with a capacity of 800-1000 and 1800 more in the Rat, you've more than replaced UoE. We also don't have FEA listed on here, which added to capacity from opening in both the appropriate first phase and the horrible, shoehorned, rushed, irritating attraction now sitting in the WS. And the Mexico ride is not listed. Though I'd imagine capacity and actual usage on that ride don't really tie out either.

Regardless, EPCOT needs more. Especially if they want to grow attendance. And it needs better. Imagination is just terrible. But this is a start and I'm not going to knock them for removing UoE even though it was a childhood favorite. It sits in the most disregarded corner of any WDW park and that is real estate that is too valuable to let molder...

I think the reality of the Epcot situation is we're paying a lot more for less included in the ticket...which is situation in 2 of 4 parks for a long time.

"But, but...they're GOING to build all that stuff"
Where ya been for 15 years?

"But, but...what about food and wine?"
$120 gate entry to go buy stuff from carnie booths, huh?

...it's just got to be harder to change the narrative for me...and so far it hasn't been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter