News Round Up 2017

Just looked at the website and the locations they have available (Aulani, Poly, and Copper Creek) they are $176/point with a minimum 100 points, so that is your $17,600 buy in (plus a $442 closing cost)

100 points would get you 6-8 nights in a studio or 3-4 nights at a 1-bedroom
Thanks that's some good info! Puts it more into perspective.

not sure if this is new or just new to me, but I just got an e-mail offering a $40 Disney Gift if I call in for a 20 min guided phone tour for DVC (so basically a virtual DVC tour)

I didn't get that one specifically but I got an offer if I do an in person tour for a gift card or something like that.
The in-person offer is $50 Disney card per room. It also includes 3 FP for your entire party (excluding pandora rides, 7dmt, fea, and PP). We did the in person tour and ended up with $100 in gift cards since we had 2 rooms. It was not at all a hard sell. I wonder if over the phone they push harder for the buy. In person they want you in the parks dropping money there, too, but at home on the phone I could see them really trying to push.

I got one too. Are they super pushy over the phone? I hate talking to people on the phone but $40 would be nice.
I had the same thought. I sure would love the $40 since we have a trip coming up, and while I am interested in DVC maybe in the future, I'm not at a place where it's even feasible to entertain the idea right now. It says guided phone tour, so I was hoping it was more informational and maybe even pre-recorded where you would key through some prompts, because I would like to hear about it, but I don't want to have to fend off a pushy salesperson. I know they're just doing their job, but there is literally zero percent chance I'm ready to buy in.

The in-person offer is $50 Disney card per room. It also includes 3 FP for your entire party (excluding pandora rides, 7dmt, fea, and PP). We did the in person tour and ended up with $100 in gift cards since we had 2 rooms. It was not at all a hard sell. I wonder if over the phone they push harder for the buy. In person they want you in the parks dropping money there, too, but at home on the phone I could see them really trying to push.

I had the same thought. I sure would love the $40 since we have a trip coming up, and while I am interested in DVC maybe in the future, I'm not at a place where it's even feasible to entertain the idea right now. It says guided phone tour, so I was hoping it was more informational and maybe even pre-recorded where you would key through some prompts, because I would like to hear about it, but I don't want to have to fend off a pushy salesperson. I know they're just doing their job, but there is literally zero percent chance I'm ready to buy in.

I'll likely do it - but says you have to call to schedule your time so not sure how long it will take to set that up. Worst case scenario I will just hang up. We actually have a different time share that we would be open to selling so hopefully positioning ourselves as being in that situation will set their expectations and back off the hard sell

Plus a $700 or so annual due for that...

WHO WANTS SOME?!?
This is just me personally here but while annual dues suck in general I pay $475/year for my HOA and my in-laws pay over $600 for their HOA. As a whole they pay more than we do because they have a heck of lot less homes than we do but our neighborhood has more operating costs by far compared to theirs it's just we have a lot more homes to spread the cost over.

When we bought our house we had to pay $400 ($150 for a mailbox fee {mailbox is in a cluster of something like 9 mailboxes each sprinkled throughout the neighborhood}, $150 operation fee, and $100 for initiation fee) ontop of the $425 (which is what it was in 2014 but was raised to $475 in 2015) in HOA dues.

But I do appreciate you even mentioning how much the annual dues are.

Yeah...the perspective is you have to pay for roughly 50 nights up front at rack rate...

It's not a good deal...wasn't always that way.
Yeah the in-laws have a time-share (one that is every other year) but they haven't used it at all for the last 4 years. I know my husband and I have had conversations about time-shares and for the most part we agree it's not the best usage of our $ but I know other people who don't mind it at all. Things can always change though but it's something to keep an eye on because as you've said and what I do believe I remember seeing from other people as well as DVC has adjusted its course so to speak over time.

What's "pp"?

Anyway...get the gift card...and when they ask "any questions?"

Ask them to explain why they doubled the price in 10 years...far beyond anything that can reasonably justified as inflation...and if it's "supply and demand", then why bother luring me in?

Then drop the mic.

I'll likely do it - but says you have to call to schedule your time so not sure how long it will take to set that up. Worst case scenario I will just hang up. We actually have a different time share that we would be open to selling so hopefully positioning ourselves as being in that situation will set their expectations and back off the hard sell
Can you let us know what it's like over the phone? We bought DVC after a few years of thinking about it and an in person tour. I'm just curious as to how they do the phone tours...

I just called. Spoke to an agent who connected me to a "tour guide". He just asked me a few basic questions about our Disney travel patterns, shared a tiny bit of info, and then took my email and sent some info. Super low key- maybe took 10 minutes total- including the first agent. I also earned a gift card a few years back by taking an online tour. Was surprised that didn't disqualify me from this offer.

I just called. Spoke to an agent who connected me to a "tour guide". He just asked me a few basic questions about our Disney travel patterns, shared a tiny bit of info, and then took my email and sent some info. Super low key- maybe took 10 minutes total- including the first agent. I also earned a gift card a few years back by taking an online tour. Was surprised that didn't disqualify me from this offer.
Just did mine too! Super nice agent, no pressure. Very easy conversation. I think I was on the phone total of 20 minutes start to finish, but that included first agent too, and I did ask a good bit of questions. Love the online brochure she sent though, now if I just had an extra $20k laying around! Haha!

I mean, I can check with a couple of my old CM friends who still work in the park. It wouldn't be hard to do as an ice cream bar, but I've yet to hear anything about this from anyone.
I saw this from ViralDisney which is known for fake news so I'm not holding my breath.

Hmm somehow I thought it would be a higher starting point. I'm saying this from someone who has done zero looking into DVC (my husband is pretty much against time shares across the board).

That's 100 points - give you about 5 nights per year in a studio.

And - whew, this thread has never been so exhausting to read....can we give up on whether Moana was good or a hit yet?

Also depends on what we are talking about - I mean, they used to have like a different parade every year based on what the new animated movie was - that's one thing. Even the Coco overlay to the Mexico ride isn't *that* big of an undertaking ... much different than rethemeing an entire water park
I feel like the parade thing has become what they do with meet and greets now. Which is cool, I have no issue with that.

I just find it doubtful they'd invest in any e ticket type attraction without a surefire ip. And overlaying typhoon lagoon in any regard would just be silly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter