New Series Gilded AGE on HBO thumbs up or down

That did not stop them from using it as a backdrop. I know some of the mansions in Newport were not that spectacular as the iconic ones but still it's fun to see them in the show.

647809 I don’t disagree at all, but given your reaction to the anachronistic misuse of zippers on costumes and misbooted Santas, I’m surprised you wish they’d highlighted buildings that didn’t exist. In the 1880s the cottages really were cottages, so it was historically correct. That was all I was trying to convey.

View attachment 647809 I don’t disagree at all, but given your reaction to the anachronistic misuse of zippers on costumes and misbooted Santas, I’m surprised you wish they’d highlighted buildings that didn’t exist. In the 1880s the cottages really were cottages, so it was historically correct. That was all I was trying to convey.
LOL you are right but I just love the mansions so I was willing to overlook it. Obviously, we can find many inaccuracies in lots of these historical dramas and that drives me crazy. Often, I try to ignore them because I know it's getting in the way of the storyline but I tend to focus on clothing because that is the area where I would have loved to major when in college.

Is it me or was last night's episode one of the worst? The acting is horrible!!! I feel like the plot drags and in all honesty, I do not care what happens to even one of the characters. I keep watching and hoping each week that I will become engaged as with Bridgerton, Outlander, or Downton Abby but gosh this thing is lack luster at best.

Is it me or was last night's episode one of the worst? The acting is horrible!!! I feel like the plot drags and in all honesty, I do not care what happens to even one of the characters. I keep watching and hoping each week that I will become engaged as with Bridgerton, Outlander, or Downton Abby but gosh this thing is lack luster at best.
Yes, it feels like we tiptoe down a different path each week but nothing gets advanced. Strange characters get brought to the front and then pushed back never to be seen again. I still have a theory that it was originally twice the length and they just deleted scenes at random to make the final run time.

Yes, it feels like we tiptoe down a different path each week but nothing gets advanced. Strange characters get brought to the front and then pushed back never to be seen again. I still have a theory that it was originally twice the length and they just deleted scenes at random to make the final run time.
HUH, never thought of that! You seem to be right. Bottom line it is a giant dud in my opinion. It's so bad that I don't even know their names.

It's like a car wreck I keep watching and hoping it will get better.

HUH, never thought of that! You seem to be right. Bottom line it is a giant dud in my opinion. It's so bad that I don't even know their names.

It's like a car wreck I keep watching and hoping it will get better.

Wow! I am surprised at all the thumbs downs here…as I freakin LOVE this series! I think a few of the story lines are getting good. I have actually talked my DH into rewatching each episode more than once as I think we notice a few things from each episode that make you wonder about that characters “story”. For instance, I think the reason Bertha is so overprotective of Gladys is that she wants her to marry as well as she (Bertha) did-with a husband that can support her, as she must’ve had a mother that struggled as her husband was a potato farmer (according to Mrs Morris)
I surmise that Peggy was forced by her Father to give up a baby and that now years later, she is looking for that child (her wanting to meet with the lawyer Mr Raikes) Peggy recently started sharing the fact that she once had a boyfriend, we will eventually hear more about him later, but I bet her father hated him. (I also think her father is a major jerk)
I’m thinking that Marian Brooks is starting to have feelings for Mr Raikes, BUT she is also starting to notice his “moving up” in society and she will wonder if Aunt Agnes is right. (I also think the Nathan Lane character will befriend Mr Raikes in this)
I dislike the Ms Turner character and I think she is out to cause trouble for George Russell now that he has turned her advances down, professing he is a devoted family man. So, she will now either help Gladys escape from under Berthas constant gate keeping, OR, start conniving with Oscar to somehow undermine the Russells empire.
I dunno, maybe I am looking too much into all this, but the series has been picked up for a second season, so hopefully, there will be more intriguing stories to come.

I am enjoying it well enough, but that could be because I'm sort of out of shows to watch. Once Outlander and Killing Eve start back, maybe I'll find it tedious. Overall, though, it's keeping me interested.

I’m going to watch episode 5 later this afternoon, and I’m going to assume, after seeing the above posts, that I will continue to not loving this series. After DH and I are done watching The Soprano’s, which will be soon, I’m canceling HBO MAX regardless if season one is done or not. I’m just not liking it enough to continue paying $15 a month to watch it :sad2:

This past episode seemed to be arranging the chess pieces. Peggy has a secret past (possible secret lover & child?), house servant’s abusive mother ( just might have an “accident”), covering up a train accident, Gladys finally having someone to consider her wishes and listening to her, Mr. & Mrs. Russell not agreeing with the handling of Gladys and her coming out to society. Oscar well being Oscar, Lawyer wanting all his cake and eating it too, etc.

It was a nice surprise to see Nathan Lane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter