New Photo Opportunity

Buzz2001

CSR MAN!!
From doombuggies.com:

The latest from WDW...

Looks like there's going to be a "photo opportunity" built into the Haunted Mansion attraction in Liberty Square. According to a well-placed source from WDW, installation is beginning on the system, which will photograph guests in their Doom Buggies as they peer into the "mirrors" in which they see a Hitchhiking Ghost sitting with them. These photos will presumably then be made available for sale to guests at the ride exit, similar to photos available at attractions like "Splash Mountain."

Where are the planning on putting the photo pick up station? That is the major question. I hope the don't change the flow of traffic. I would like a shop with more HM stuff though.

You know, I used to dismiss these kinds of rumors out of hand. The entire concept is just so silly.

But these the pressure to squeeze the guests for every last cent is so strong that I wouldn't be surprised if they put a camera at the turkey leg wagon for people and hustle people to buy a photo of them chowing down on emu.

If nothing else, ideas like this make sure there's plently of power during the long hot summer days (inside joke).

Originally posted by Another Voice
You know, I used to dismiss these kinds of rumors out of hand. The entire concept is just so silly.

So are you saying that this will not happen or it will ?

Weren't we joking about this rumour last week.

Look here's some Physics for you.
The Ghosts are bhind the Mirror right? There is absolutly no way a camera mounted somewhere above or beside the buggie would pick up an image that looked right. regardless of light levels its the position of the Camera.
The only possible way it could work is if the Camera were riding with the Ghosts, but for that to work you would have to illuminate the guests which means the effect would stop working.

All of that not withstanding, Haunted mansion has a Throughput orders of magnitude higer then Any other ride that Utilizes this. Taking a picture of a Raft in broad Daylight every 5-10 seconds is easy. Taking an extremely lowlight picture of an image in a mirror and something behind the mirror every second as the buggies go by? that is something entirely different.

I don't see any possible way that this is a valid rumour.

Darn rurmors....I saw the other thread but thought that if Doombuggies was reporting it that it "might" be true.

I would not be surprised actually and a Digital camera actualy STILL has less resolution then a real one. None of which actually addresses the problems of angle and speed which are what makes this unlikely.

why couldn't they simply yake you in the buggy and then add the ghost based on where in the buggy you were sitting. It would be really easy to do.

Exactly.

They’re already selling those cheesy kinds of photos at California Adventure (you and Mickey riding the rollercoaster) and I think they paste a character over the top of “naughty” people on Flash, er, Splash Mountain too. That way they can still sell to photograph to the non-offending guests.

The idea here is to make money, not to document the guest’s experience.

I suppose. It would still you're marketing it as something it isn't then.

I mean editing in Mickey and telling the guest you're doing so, or replacing somebody who ruined the picture is a very different thing then manufacturing an image and passing it off as the real thing.

And you still haven't solved the amount of time vs. Light issue

Originally posted by Another Voice

The idea here is to make money, not to document the guest’s experience.

Mr. Voice, speaking of making and documenting guests experience, I remember reading a rumor a while back that Disney was considering installing video cameras throughout MK. Guests who ponied up the cash were supposed to be videoed throughout the day as they moved through the park. Was there any truth to this rumor? At the time I thought that this would cause nightmare problems with guests who didn't want to be videoed, but after the last couple of Super Bowls I guess they can get by with anything. Maybe they could even pick up a criminal or two!!!;)

For the time issue, couldn't they just use multiple cameras? You know, 5 cameras that get 5 buggies at once, that way they'd only have to take a picture every 5 seconds, instead of every second.

For the light problem (assuming there really isn't enough light at the mirror section), if they are just going to slap the ghost in, the picture could be taken during a section that has more light. They wouldn't have to take it during the mirror section.

I'm sure there are still imagineers around who are creative enough to figure it out. (an excellent use of their time, wouldn't you say?)

Originally posted by raidermatt
For the time issue, couldn't they just use multiple cameras? You know, 5 cameras that get 5 buggies at once, that way they'd only have to take a picture every 5 seconds, instead of every second.

The Hulk coaster at IOA uses 6 cameras that shoot and get a picturer of all of the cars. So Yeah seems that it can be done.

What about image capture from HighRes Video?
I have personally shot video in the HM using a ZeroLux Digital Handy Cam. The Hitch Hiking Ghosts came out just fine. Plenty of software out there that does frame capture. As far as resolution goes, were not talkin about professional quality studio portrait photos, just souvneirs.

Just a thought.

I'll see if I can dig up the footage and post a frame or two.

More info from a "Castmember" ? about the new Photos. Where is Steve when you need him ????

From the boombuggies forum...

Last night I got to spend a little time with the contractors who are putting in the Disney Photo Opportunity gig in the Haunted Mansion. I asked a lot of questions and here is the current scoop as I understand it:
This is being done in many attractions, not just the Mansion. It is NOT going to be like the Splash Mountain photo op. and here are the differences.
There will be no photos sold outside in a kiosk.
It will be conducted in two stages. The first stage will be for resort guests only, not for day trippers. If you are a resort guest, you will be given some sort of button to wear which will identify you to the system as a resort guest, staying at one of the on-property hotels. When you get to the Hitchhiking Ghost windows, a sensor will pick you out, and photograph you (no flash). After your day in the park, sometime during the evening, all the guests who had photos taken will get to preview them on one of the Disney channels that gets pickup up on your tv's in your room. Your 15 seconds of fame, so to speak.
Then supposedly, if you wish to purchase one or more of your pictures taken in the rides, you will probably be given an extension to call to make your order.
Currently, they are beginning to install the equipment. This sounds to me like a trial balloon to see if it will fly, and if it does, then it will expand and probably be made available to all guests.
As you can see, there are a lot of things yet to find out, including when this will be ready to go. I'll let you know.

The wearing of a button that identifies you as a resort guest has all kinds of interesting implications.

"Stay on-site and get 10% added to your score on Buzz-lightyear......"

The whole idea of a button to ID as a resort guest and being able to preview it on a your TV seems pretty far fetched to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter