New package allows you to book dining plan without purchasing park tickets

I just booked a package this week and was able to only add a one day ticket to get the DDP. I still do not see what a ticket has to do with the dining plan but if they are now going to let you just add the dining without a ticket how would the free dining work.? Very confused. It seems that if I have to buy a two day ticket for everyone after I already have tickets prior to booking then I do not see how I am saving much especially since the ticket prices just went up. Someone please sort this out or make me understand how this will work for my party of 6. Thanks

This is something new that isn't even on their website yet (at least not that I've seen) and it might just be a trial for Disney to see how many people book room + DDP without tickets compared to how many booked with the ticket requirement (but that is just a guess). Disney has always required at least a 1 day ticket to get the DDP (FD dining used to be the same). A few years ago they changed the DDP guidelines for AP holders and allowed them to book a ticketless package (room + DDP), as well as increased the FD requirement to a minimum 2 day ticket. However, AP holders are not exempt from a ticket purchase if they want FD, as everyone is required to buy a minimum 2 day ticket for FD. If you already have tickets and book a package with the DDP & 1 day ticket (or FD with a 2 day), those tickets can be saved for a future trip. You would have to run the numbers to see if FD is worth it with the extra ticket purchase that you don't need right now. Being able to save the tickets for a future trip is nice, but it does add extra cost for your current trip.

I just booked a package this week and was able to only add a one day ticket to get the DDP. I still do not see what a ticket has to do with the dining plan but if they are now going to let you just add the dining without a ticket how would the free dining work.? Very confused. It seems that if I have to buy a two day ticket for everyone after I already have tickets prior to booking then I do not see how I am saving much especially since the ticket prices just went up. Someone please sort this out or make me understand how this will work for my party of 6. Thanks

This is new as of Sunday, February 23. It is for anyone, not just AP. It is not available on the website, you have to call. They did NOT announce it. A ticket was required for the dining plan because the dining plan is a package add-on and you must book a package to get it. They are now making the ticketless packages previously available only to AP holders and military available to ALL guests if you request it. If you want to, call and say you want the package with room and dining, no tickets. they will remove the tickets from your package and you will be free to purchase tickets separately. Including from a ticket broker if you wish.

If you want FREE dining, you MUST buy at least 2 day tickets with your package. Ticketless packages are not eligible for the free dining promotion. So if you go with the ticketless package, pick up tickets from a ticket broker, and then a free dining offer comes out and you decide to switch to that offer, you must then purchase at least 2 day tickets as part of your package even though you have already purchased tickets separately.

This opens up new possibilities for those who like the DDP throughout their stay, but want to do a split stay. I wonder if it is a limited promotion or if they are testing to see how this is received with a view to making it a long term/permanent option.

This opens up new possibilities for those who like the DDP throughout their stay, but want to do a split stay. I wonder if it is a limited promotion or if they are testing to see how this is received with a view to making it a long term/permanent option.

So is anyone else wondering if this will change the conditions for free dining promotions? Of course they are going to have qualifying criteria with these offers, but I wonder if they will change them up and make it so you have to have a longer minimum stay or base it on the level of the resort/adding certain extras .....

I'm still really happy about this and if it's successful, I hope to see it extended. This is the first time we are finally doing a split stay but ONLY because I got a great deal renting points at a good rate. I like to have dining added to our package.

If you're renting DVC points, you don't need a package and you could have had dining added without a ticket purchase anyway. Unless you're moving to or from a regular resort.

Is this available at the campsites?

You'd need to call Disney and see if you can book it at the campsites.

If you're renting DVC points, you don't need a package and you could have had dining added without a ticket purchase anyway. Unless you're moving to or from a regular resort.

Sorry that was my badly worded sentence making it unclear. I know I can add dining without tickets on a DVC points reservation. Yes, our first resort is just a regular resort with a room, tickets and dining package. I was really just stating that due to the ticket requirements thus far, regular reservations made directly with Disney made split stays with dining a very expensive option as I would have had to add more tickets to the second booking to be able to add it.

this is interesting..... I wonder what it means if you get a discounted room, could you book and pay for dining?

So, has anyone priced this out to see if it works out to be a better deal than the package discounts currently on? Like if we were doing 10 days at AKL on the free Memory Maker package, would we be better off looking into Annual Passes, getting room on AP discount and adding dining plan?

One thing to note is that you lose the ability to pre-book fast passes if you don't have a park ticket as part of your package.

One thing to note is that you lose the ability to pre-book fast passes if you don't have a park ticket as part of your package.
If you link your park tickets thru MDE, it doesn't matter whether you purchased them from Disney or some other ticket seller. You can still make FP+ reservations if you're an onsite guest.

So now how would you then book the fast pass? I purchased a one day ticket for a package because I had "paper" tickets left from previous trips. I had not even thought about how I would schedule the fast pass each day prior to my trip. This would then bring up a whole new glitch in a family trip. I had planned on linking these tickets to the magic band when we arrived. So now I wonder if this is also a way for Disney to free up fast pass overload if they eliminate the purchase of a ticket to get the dining. It seems quite a problem for my family now .

So now how would you then book the fast pass? I purchased a one day ticket for a package because I had "paper" tickets left from previous trips. I had not even thought about how I would schedule the fast pass each day prior to my trip. This would then bring up a whole new glitch in a family trip. I had planned on linking these tickets to the magic band when we arrived. So now I wonder if this is also a way for Disney to free up fast pass overload if they eliminate the purchase of a ticket to get the dining. It seems quite a problem for my family now .

You need to turn your paper tickets in for the hard ticket and then get the serial number off those tickets. Problem is, is you cannot do that till you get to Disney. If you have one ticket per person, it allows you to make 10-14 days of FP. When you check in, get a refund for those one day tickets and then apply your paper tickets.

This whole thing is such a bummer. The week before this happened, I was at WDW and I wanted to add the Dining Package and we had to add 1 day tickets. We said no and paid out of pocket for meals, plus we ate off site too after we said no. Just once I was tired and crabby and we planned eating off site that evening and it would of been easier to just eat at DtD.

:wave2:I am paying attention to this thread because, we are going to have a split stay. DVC w/ Dining Plan 1TS meal...
Now I want to add 3 days at POR with just counter service DP. I do not see why you could not get a discounted room with this plan...seeing how the dining plan is not getting discounted you are still paying quite a bit. Hence the reason I have stayed off site the last few trips. Only staying on site because DBIL is treating us to AKL savannah viewpixiedust:

Another Disney deal! AP and DVC owners loses a perk. We use to go to WDW 4 times a year, now we are lucky to be able to afford one trip per year.

Talk about first world problems.:rolleyes2

Kinda hard to feel sorry for someone like you.
Count your blessings. Plenty of families can't afford one disney trip. Going several times a year or every year isn't even an option for most.

Another Disney deal! AP and DVC owners loses a perk. We use to go to WDW 4 times a year, now we are lucky to be able to afford one trip per year.

It really doesn't have any effect on AP holders or DVC. They aren't losing anything. It stays exactly the same for them.

People get these things so save money on other aspects of their trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter