New from RI

We did the same in Warwick but with the sweet corn off of Bend Street (which is now a soccer field) and we would get in sooooo much trouble from my grandma!!! But we always ate it!!!!! :laughing:

cheryl

Another kid story. We loved going out into the country side where my grandparents lived to go fishing. There were a number of ponds around. Kinda like the Huck Fin thing. Once in awhile my brotherand I and a couple friends would take a couple of steel tubs along. We would go specifically for cat fish, put them in the tubs and then take them, carry them (fish and water) a couple miles to another pond. The guy who owned that pond paid us to put the cat fish into his pond. He needed bottom feeders in his pond. What a rough way to earn a couple dollars. Still had a ton of fun. My son stopped going fishing with me around the junior high years. He said we would never catch fish when I took him fishing and that was boring.
Have a good day.
Chris

Hi and :welcome:
We're from right across the border in MA but I grew up in Woonsocket! Disboards are a great source of info. Have Fun!

There use to be a dairy parlor to get ice cream just outside Woonsocket. A major part of the place was a giant milk can. You could even watch the cows being milked through a viewing window. Any Woonsocket people remember the name of the establishment?
We liked going there more for seeing the milking than the ice cream. It was always disappointing if the cows did not get milked.

Chris

Where in Smithfield? Jaswell's or Steere's? Ahhh apples in the fall...yummy! I got married last October and the favors for my wedding were Caramel Apples from Jaswell's. They were so yummy!

Hi Another RI here!! We always pick apples in Smithfield and Steere's is where we go!! I love your favor idea!! A variation on the caramel apple is -first dip in caramel and then drizzle with chocolate(milk and white) and then add candies of your choice(mini m&m,s crushed heathbars,crushed cookies etc..) They are as much fun to make as they are to eat!! Joan

Another kid story. We loved going out into the country side where my grandparents lived to go fishing. There were a number of ponds around. Kinda like the Huck Fin thing. Once in awhile my brotherand I and a couple friends would take a couple of steel tubs along. We would go specifically for cat fish, put them in the tubs and then take them, carry them (fish and water) a couple miles to another pond. The guy who owned that pond paid us to put the cat fish into his pond. He needed bottom feeders in his pond. What a rough way to earn a couple dollars. Still had a ton of fun. My son stopped going fishing with me around the junior high years. He said we would never catch fish when I took him fishing and that was boring.
Have a good day.
Chris

Hee Hee....top this; my girl friend and I used to go to Morris' farm and pick green beans....but just enough to afford a Jim Dandy at Friendly's....so we would walk the mile to the farm, pick for about 2 hours, then walk another mile to Friendly's to eat this big fat ice cream sundae, then walk the mile and a half home......kids today just don't know what they are missing.:lmao:

che

Hello fellow RI'ers. I grew in the city where people "parked their cars side by each" and if you are guessing Woonsocket you would be right. I now live in hubby's hometown of Warwick.

But I just love New England and RI and don't think I will ever be leaving. It's amazing how many New Englanders are on Disboards. When we went in 2006 to Disney I couldn't believe how many people were from CT. New England must keep Disney in business :rotfl:

And I can't wait to return in April 2009:cool1:

Welcome to the best information place on Disney in the WHOLE WORLD!!! We are in Warwick too.

Going to return to OKW in March with our boys and we can't wait.

cheryl

There use to be a dairy parlor to get ice cream just outside Woonsocket. A major part of the place was a giant milk can. You could even watch the cows being milked through a viewing window. Any Woonsocket people remember the name of the establishment?
We liked going there more for seeing the milking than the ice cream. It was always disappointing if the cows did not get milked.

Chris

I don't kow about the dairy parlor but you can still watch the cows being milked at Wrights Dairy Farm in North Smithfield. I believe the milk can building was being used as a drive thru coffee place at one point on R146.

I can't believe how many DISers are from Woonsocket. That is where I lived until I got married. Then I moved far away to No. Smith!!! I do remember the milk can on 146, but I don't remember the cows. My fav. ice cream place in RI was the homemade Ice Cream Machine in Cumberland. It's still great! I never went to Steere's,but recently picked strawberries and blueberries at Jaswells. I love it there! Another fav. was The Big Apple in Wrentham, Ma, but they are actually very expensive to pick from (they claim that they charge more to pick because of the wear and tear on the trees). I'm going to be working in Smithfield soon too!

I can't believe how many DISers are from Woonsocket. That is where I lived until I got married. Then I moved far away to No. Smith!!! I do remember the milk can on 146, but I don't remember the cows. My fav. ice cream place in RI was the homemade Ice Cream Machine in Cumberland. It's still great! I never went to Steere's,but recently picked strawberries and blueberries at Jaswells. I love it there! Another fav. was The Big Apple in Wrentham, Ma, but they are actually very expensive to pick from (they claim that they charge more to pick because of the wear and tear on the trees). I'm going to be working in Smithfield soon too!

Oh my godness the Ice Cream Machine is soooooo good. I love their Peanut Butter ice cream and i get it as a hot fudge sundae with chocolate jimmies. YUMMY!!!!!

What year did you Woonsocket Rockets graduate in. I graduated in 1990 from WHS. I can't believe its been 18 years already:scared1:

:welcome: to the boards! DH is from Woonsocket. We LOVE Wright's Farm!

I had a chocolate chip cone from there tonight after soccer practice at Diamond Hill Park!!!:love:

Hi again. Just curious, what does FO mean?

I have been posting on a cruise thread for a couple years and we are still with the same thread since we are getting together again in October 2009for another DCL Eastern cruise. F.O. is a game we came up with. It simply means "First On", meaning you have the first post on a new page. But to get credit for the F.O. you must immediately post another note following that first page post to claim the F.O., and that must be done before someone else posts a note following your first. So, next time you see that a post you made is the first post on a page, follow it up with another post to claim the F.O..

Chris

Ok Kami. You just made North Smithfield sound like it's on another planet.:rotfl: Shame on you. :laughing: Just because one needs a passport to get there does not mean it's "far away". :rotfl2:
Chris

Got to get some sleep. You all have a good day. :thumbsup2 Yes, the time is very early Thursday morning. :scared1: I get home from work about midnight so I unwind by relaxing and getting caught up on e-mail and DIS boards. :surfweb:

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter