New AP system - willing to use it?

Will you use Disney's new AP program?

• Yes, I'll book my first choice resort hoping for a discount and pay the non-refundable deposit

• Yes, but I'm booking moderate or value because I can't chance rack rates!

• No thanks, I'll wait and keep my choices open and the flexibility to change/cancel.

Results are only viewable after voting.
When you keep screwing over your best customers . . .
What do you mean by "best" customer?

People like choice and flexibility.
People like convenience too. Having to dial in daily to see if there is a new discount to be had isn't convenient.

Disney could have just added the capability to book online AP reservations, with a reasonable cancellation policy and all could have been fine.
They still could. Nothing says that every last aspect of this new program is set in stone for all eternity.

bicker said:
People like convenience too. Having to dial in daily to see if there is a new discount to be had isn't convenient.

That certainly isn't convenient, you're right. But, not all passholders called in daily. But those who did, I can safely say, caused this MESS.

PamNC

bicker said:
What do you mean by "best" customer?
Customers that purchase an AP with the intent of repeat visits. Return customers. I know this doesn't cover all AP holders, but I'm guessing a majority.

bicker said:
Well, most of the best TA's call in for you as soon as AP rates are available. I found that VERY convenient and didn't have to pay them extra OR a non-refundable deposit.

bicker said:
They still could. Nothing says that every last aspect of this new program is set in stone for all eternity.
Well, I believe we are discussing the CURRENT situation, not a hypothetical future scenario. And if enough people tell them what they LIKE and what they DON'T LIKE, there is all the more likelyhood of that happening.

Customers that purchase an AP with the intent of repeat visits. Return customers. I know this doesn't cover all AP holders, but I'm guessing a majority.
Well, I'm not sure I agree. I feel that, from the company's perspective, the "best" customers are those willing to pay the most amount of money for a company's products or services. Returning customers are just that -- returning customers. There are some non-AP holders who spend a lot of money, for example.

arminnie said:
I just booked a moderate room with a water view under the new AP program for $85 a night. When I looked up the price to book it without the new program it was $165 a night.

I am willing to risk a one night penalty or a $50 change fee for that kind of price reduction.
-------------------------------

Someone else on one of the threads that you started has indicated that they're getting $121 or $124 or something like that for the same room.. Think you could go back to your thread and tell them how you got a rate so much lower?

Looks like there's still some inconsistencies with this gamble.. :flower:

Pam - I agree with that 100%. I also think that people mis-using the old system (which was happening without Disney doing anything about enforcing their own rules) by doing things that getting the rates with a child ap or without ever buying an ap have a lot to do with it as well.

Gully - you and I stand at a difference in fundemental thoughts. I know Disney is a business, but I also think that having an AP program that keeps people coming back again and again, one that now gives incentive to keep your APs year round and not let them expire, one where they can cut back costs on CMs having answer "no there aren't any better discounts available Mrs. Jones. Wow - you have called 22 times this week now" - all of these allow Disney to give me that extra special feelings that keeps me coming back along with making a much better bottom line for their shareholders. I believe that AP holders bring in huge amounts of revenue to Disney and that they are always looking for more ways to keep bringing us back while staying in the black. I think you don't believe that AP holders are the bread and butter of WDW so why bother with us when they could "fill" their rooms with AAA members? Well, there have to be more of us than them, we don't get things like most of the package deals with AP discounts now, so if you want those, you have to give up the cheap room rates already (can't blame them - they can't GIVE you free food and a cheap room) and we are without a doubt the repeat customers. Numbers to back either of our points here would be nice, wouldn't they? Without them, I know its all speculation. But, if AP holders were not profitable, they would be decreasing the services available to AP holders, not expanding them. They aren't doing away with the AP discount, simply changing how it will be implemented. They have, however, added those things I mentioned earlier as of this year, so to me they are obviously courting the AP members and DVC members (by giving us an AP discount, etc). You see it as "lets give them this while we take away that". I see it as "lets get them here as often as possible in a way we control - giving out the best discounts when the resorts are the least filled - keeping them here for eating with discounts - giving them a free ride so they won't go off property to other things in Orlando - giving them nighttime entertainment discounts to keep them at DTD or at the resorts." The 120 thing also gives them the ability to KNOW what occupancy looks like at 90 days when they typically release the AP rates and whoopie - if they need more people in the rooms, they will give a good rate and we all benefit! If they don't, then I get the room rate I agreed to pay (which is apparently being corrected from rack rates even as we type.)

Its a win win for me as long as they are setting the first bar BELOW the rack rate level (which I have said here many times already - that I dont believe rack rates to start off with would hold up if they expected people to put down a non-refundable deposit) thus assuring people that they will be paying "less" to begin with and hopefully MUCH less as time goes on by guaranteeing you the lowest released rate to date.

I am not so much worried about not getting the current level of AP discounts because of the wording of the release (lets face it - you are right...once again they seemed to botch things - BUT we dont really know if they botched it or if the internet just flames things so out of hand BEFORE it can be fully implemented and companies need to learn how to use this resource to their advantage, not to their disadvantage). I think that people will get good rates and if enough people sign up 120 days out, the ones trying to get a last minute deal will find them hard to find.

Looks like there's still some inconsistencies with this gamble.. :flower:
Seems to me that there has always been some inconsistencies with AP discounts.

bicker said:
Seems to me that there has always been some inconsistencies with AP discounts.
----------------------

Well so far only one person posting on these boards has been able to get an $85 rate for early November.. Others who have tried for the same time period are getting $121..

I guess the one "Best Rate" $85 room was already scoffed up by the a lucky DISer here.. :teeth:

They better straighten that mess out quick or there's going to be some very, very unhappy people here that have locked themselves into what they "thought" was the best rate.. :flower:

C.Ann said:
----------------------

Well so far only one person posting on these boards has been able to get an $85 rate for early November.. Others who have tried for the same time period are getting $121..

I guess the one "Best Rate" $85 room was already scoffed up by the a lucky DISer here.. :teeth:

They better straighten that mess out quick or there's going to be some very, very unhappy people here that have locked themselves into what they "thought" was the best rate.. :flower:

I'm the lucky DISer who got the $85 rate, and even I am not happy if it ends up that it was just a mistake. I mean I'm happy that I got that good rate, but I am not happy if this is not how the system is going to work.

I love making reservations online. I'm not sure why - but I really hate calling and talking to the agents. I like to play around and check different angles, etc. on my own. I was hoping that this new online system would do that.

That is how it worked this afternoon - I probably booked sometime between 1 and 3 pm (CDT). I started out looking at value resorts. The rates that came back were so good that I went up to the moderates. I did look at AKL but the discount there was not so hot. It was nice to get instantaneous info without keeping an agent on the line for 20 minutes.

I even stopped in the middle of my search to check out some other things - like DVC availability (which I did have to do by phone) and plane schedules.

I personally don't like to use travel agents as I want 24/7 access to my travel plans, but that's just me. Back before the internet I did use at TA, but one that had 24/7 phone coverage.

When I got the good rates this afternoon I assumed that WDW had just not input the passholder rates until today. Now I wonder if I just accidentally signed in when they had the wrong table loaded or something like that.

Tagrel said:
When I've tried it, it is giving full rack rate. Since Disney felt confident enough to take the system live, I'm assuming they were professional enough to actually TEST the new system before making it available to all passholders.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Disney testing something before going live.... let's see in the past we have had AP rates being offered for all of two hours because of a system glitch plus numerous other issues. Either Disney doesn't know the meaning of testing before going live or there is just too much pixie dust floating around that is making the test team high. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter