Need Opinions If You Are At WDW Now.

LovingDisney2012

All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust!
My cousin leaves for WDW with her 6 and 7 year old kids tomorrow. She wanted me to ask anyone that is there now how you are dressing your kids for the cool mornings and warm/hot days? Thanks in advance.

We just got back home on Wednesday. Most mornings we wore a hoodie or a light weight jacket with our shorts. By 11:00am we had the jackets off. The evenings were a bit cooler, so we often wore jeans.

My cousin leaves for WDW with her 6 and 7 year old kids tomorrow. She wanted me to ask anyone that is there now how you are dressing your kids for the cool mornings and warm/hot days? Thanks in advance.
LOL.. the fact that she asks this strikes me as hilarious. Does your cousin not dress her children for cool mornings with hot days at home? It is the same. You dress for 60 at Disney the same way you dress for 60 at home, no? Well, maybe we are the only ones that do the same at Disney as at home. We wear jackets and if it gets warm enough to not need them in the daytime we put them in lockers.

LOL.. the fact that she asks this strikes me as hilarious. Does your cousin not dress her children for cool mornings with hot days at home? It is the same. You dress for 60 at Disney the same way you dress for 60 at home, no? Well, maybe we are the only ones that do the same at Disney as at home. We wear jackets and if it gets warm enough to not need them in the daytime we put them in lockers.

I'm thinking she's asking moreso how to pack because at home you have your full wardrobe at hand, when traveling you only have so much room in your suitcase. :)

I'm thinking she's asking moreso how to pack because at home you have your full wardrobe at hand, when traveling you only have so much room in your suitcase. :)
I guess. Maybe I'm just too practical. I pack what we'll need to wear and I know what we need to wear based on the temps.

I guess. Maybe I'm just too practical. I pack what we'll need to wear and I know what we need to wear based on the temps.

The temps can also vary. For example we went to Turks & Caicos this past September and the forecast said low 80s for the most part. I thought to myself whoa, now THAT'S what I'm talking about and was very excited. Well let me tell you Turks & Caicos 80s is not New Jersey 80s. The heat/humidity was worse than Disney in August. :scared:

Here now. It's extremely cold this morning, and the predicted high today is only 62. Your friend needs layers not just for her kids but for herself as well! It's going to be in the high 70s and low 80s over the next week, with lows in the 50s or 60s. Bring gloves. Bring sweatshirts. And tees. And, luckily, if you're unprepared for the cooler nights and mornings, you can always buy something!!! With Mickey on it!

Having lived in many different climates - Northeast, Hawaii, Southeast - I'd say temperature is not the only indicator of comfort. A lot of it has to do with wind speed, moisture in the air, and even how long you spend outdoors. That is why people ask about weather stuff here, because to them, 60 degrees may be nice and on the warm side, especially if where they are coming from has seen 20s and 30s for the past week. Then they get there and its a chilly 60, instead of the warm 60 they would have back home. I don't think it's that outlandish to want to gather opinions on the situation, especially since they are asking for the opinions of people who are in WDW this week, to gauge the perception of the weather versus what the online forecast says.

I totally agree with other posters. Actual temp does not give the full picture.

Further to that - people dress differently for the same weather. I see Florida locals all bundled up with hats and mitts when I would be be dressed a lot lighter because I come from the real cold. Thus making these threads tricky. Pack layers and dress up and down according to your personal comfort.

The weather threads always confuse me.

You live in Louisiana, yes? And Angie is in TN. Similar hot weather to FL, right?

Now try coming from a different sort of weather place and trying to figure it out.

40 degrees in Seattle DH is still wearing shorts. 40 in Orlando and he's nearly in tears from the bone chilling cold especially at Epcot.

There's a feeling of morning at WDW during colder times that just doesn't hit our area often. It's so unique that ds and I comment on it when we feel it. So no, we don't dress the same or based solely on temperatures as when we are at home. Because it just doesn't feel the same.

And I'm writing while DH is driving through melting snow, it's in the high 30s, and I'm in Capri yoga leggings, a running shirt, and a sweatshirt and I'm fine. But 40 in Orlando I'm wearing way more than that!

There's also the difference of how long one is out in the weather at wdw vs at home.

Disney in Dec-Feb you should be prepared to pack shorts and shirts as well as jeans and jackets. Last year around Christmas time it was in the mid 80's and you were sweating. A few years ago around Christmas time we were playing Winter Sunmerland putt putt at night and it was in the mid 40's. When you can see your breath here, it's cold.

And there's a difference between it being 60 degrees and having wind or no wind. So if your trip shows temps that might drop 60's or below (maybe 70's and below for some) then you'll want to bring a multitude of items you can wear depending on that day

To sum it up, bring everything. Not only was it cold this morning, but it RAINED. In December. Actually, it rained twice this week. But on Monday it was 86. Again, just bring it all. (Good luck! We also had a 0% chance of rain while it was raining today. Florida!)

You live in Louisiana, yes? And Angie is in TN. Similar hot weather to FL, right?

Now try coming from a different sort of weather place and trying to figure it out.

40 degrees in Seattle DH is still wearing shorts. 40 in Orlando and he's nearly in tears from the bone chilling cold especially at Epcot.

There's a feeling of morning at WDW during colder times that just doesn't hit our area often. It's so unique that ds and I comment on it when we feel it. So no, we don't dress the same or based solely on temperatures as when we are at home. Because it just doesn't feel the same.

And I'm writing while DH is driving through melting snow, it's in the high 30s, and I'm in Capri yoga leggings, a running shirt, and a sweatshirt and I'm fine. But 40 in Orlando I'm wearing way more than that!

There's also the difference of how long one is out in the weather at wdw vs at home.

That isn't what I meant.

62 and sunny in Florida last January was still uncomfortably cold for me, in a thermal long sleeved hoodie and jeans. The same day, my daughter wore a skirt.

At this time of year, you have to pack layers. She's right to consider that Florida can have pretty wide temperature swings than much of the country. And if they are coming from colder climates, it'll change as they acclimate.

Today the high is 60, tomorrow the low is 60 (high is 80). The kids will want hoodies or jackets in the morning and evening and probably not need them while the sun is out. Whatever you can pack away easily.

This time of year, at DL, we would buy a locker to put the hoodies in by late-morning and return for them after Sunset. Lockers are our luxury so we don't need to carry bags all day.

Last edited:
I think it's different for vacation, especially Disney, because you're out all day long. Here at home it's 32 today. For walking DD to/picking up from school I wore a down coat with a tee shirt, but when I ran errands during the day I wore just a fleece jacket because I was in and out of the car. But yes, laters are what Disney calls for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter