Need new car for family of 5-opinions needed

My family of 5 has a Chevy Traverse with the 2nd row quad seats which can fit 7 passengers overall. (Same as the new Disney Lift vehicles) As far as I know the lowest price model that comes with the quad seats is the 1LT. I bought mine last year for $14k which was certified used 2012 with 59k miles on it. Gas mileage is about 18 combined MPG with my FWD model.

The 2nd row seats move forward/backwards and recline SLIGHTLY (less than a office chair). The 2nd row seats also fold forward to give easier access to the middle row...though its not necessary since even my 6' 1" previous 325+ pound self could make it in to the back row with some non-graceful backing in.

Because of the ability to move the seats the 2nd row are more comfortable than any 2nd row bench seat I have sat in.

The 3rd row can fit 2 adults and 1 kid for trips no more than 1hr. 2 teens under 5' 7" in the back would be about the limit of what I would recommend for trips over 2hrs.

If storage is your concern then the 60/40 split 3rd row comes in handy. We regularly keep the smaller 40 split seat down as "trunk space". With the regular trunk area, the added room of the 40 split and a creative packing system by my wife, we were able to go on a 17 day road trip while still being able to see out the back window via the rear view. This area also is plenty of room for our monthly Costco trips. There were several other 2nd row quad seats with 3rd row non-van vehicles but the 60/40 split seat is really what make this vehicle much better than any 50/50 split seat. If it were 50/50 split seats then you would have your path to the 3rd row partially blocked and super annoying for everyday use.

I have had this vehicle for over a year now and if we had to buy another family vehicle right now it would be the same setup.

Thanks so much for all the input...we were considering the Honda Pilot but am now leaning towards another mini-van.

After 2 Honda Odysseys, we traded in for a Honda Pilot about 6 months ago. I compared the new Odysseys with the new Pilots all across the board rigorously before switching -- mileage, price, size, etc. They were very, very similar -- the biggest difference came down to less storage when using all 3 rows. We decided that for the (maybe) 1 week a year we might need a Honda/Toyota van-level of storage, we'd rent a minivan (plus we have a full-sze truck. And you have another van to use in that situation).

I have now used the Pilot to haul food for a youth camp (32 people for 3 days) and also on a 10-day road trip for 4 people this summer. It has done great and got really good gas mileage.

I would advise if you are considering used to get the newest shape of the past few years -- not as boxy and they fixed some of the downsides to the older models.

PHXscuba

We are a family of 5 - kids are ages 16, 14, and 11 (almost 12). We currently have 2 minivans (both Sienas) and one needs replacing. Wondering if there is anything other than a minivan that would accommodate us comfortably. Any opinions out there?
Check out the brand new Subaru Ascent!

LOVE my Honda Pilot. I bought a 2012 back in 2014. I think the newer ones are more mini-van like. I prefer the older style. Mine has plenty of cup holders, can tow a boat and hold 8 people. I do miss the huge trunk space in a minivan but other than that so glad to switch. Minivan was great when they were young but once they were all teens the pilot fit us better.

We are a family of 6 and I am just about to purchase a Dodge Journey Crossover SUV. It seats 7 is very affordable and you can purchase it with a V6 engine and all-wheel drive for driving in the snow. It was the most affordable, roomy 7 seater that I could find, that was not a minivan. I wanted all-wheel drive for the NH winters, after driving minivans for the last 20 years.

We are a family of 6 and I am just about to purchase a Dodge Journey Crossover SUV. It seats 7 is very affordable and you can purchase it with a V6 engine and all-wheel drive for driving in the snow. It was the most affordable, roomy 7 seater that I could find, that was not a minivan. I wanted all-wheel drive for the NH winters, after driving minivans for the last 20 years.

Just a suggestion, if you don't mind. Don't buy the Journey. Just don't. Pretty much the bottom of the barrel in its' class, in so many ways.

I have an mdx and I love it. Also looked at the Pilot which is nice (the newest models). I personally wouldn’t drive a minivan bc I think there are so many other options now. The new Subaru and VW are also nice. Not sure when the Subaru will be available though.

I was recently in this situation and bought a Dodge Journey. Don't do that. It was so small we traded it a year later for an older 2014 Chevy Traverse with captain seats. Love it.

I have to say, recent experiences completely turned me off on Chrysler/Dodge. I'd been a Chrysler girl all my adult life, but my current minivan--a 2009 with ~83k miles on it--has had the brakes done 4 times, needed a new transmission recently, and my mechanic told me last week, get rid of it before the shocks go in 6 months. I used to love Chrysler--now, I can't even look at the Pacifica or Grand Caravan. The thing is, too--my van was fine for the first few years. Then, it all went to crap. I'd rather have a vehicle that I can count on for a couple hundred thousand miles.

I was recently in the same situation and compared the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Acura MDX and Honda Pilot, all 2018 models. The Acadia was ok, but I was worried about long-term reliability so we eventually ruled that vehicle out. The MDX had too many features I wasn't interested in and would never use, and it looked too much like a mini-van, so that was out. I liked the look of the re-designed Pilot and it was a front runner to purchase. I test drove it twice, asked a lot of questions, and couldn't get past two things ~ the only charging ports were between the front seats (useless for our family, we need them in the 2nd and 3rd row seats, too) and the only way to get captain's chairs in the second row was to purchase the highest model, at $50,000+. That would be a nope! We ended up with a 2018 Chevy Traverse and love it. It has everything we wanted and we are very happy with our purchase.

I have to say, recent experiences completely turned me off on Chrysler/Dodge. I'd been a Chrysler girl all my adult life, but my current minivan--a 2009 with ~83k miles on it--has had the brakes done 4 times, needed a new transmission recently, and my mechanic told me last week, get rid of it before the shocks go in 6 months. I used to love Chrysler--now, I can't even look at the Pacifica or Grand Caravan. The thing is, too--my van was fine for the first few years. Then, it all went to crap. I'd rather have a vehicle that I can count on for a couple hundred thousand miles.

To be fair, brakes and shocks are wear items. Front brakes typically last 15-30k miles depending on how you drive, and shocks usually are done around 100k miles or 10 years. However, yes, Chrysler quality is, well...not good.

We have a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country, with about 70,000 miles on it and have had at least 2 complete brake jobs done on it already. My wife drives it most of the time and is very easy on the brakes so the only reason I see for the multiple brake jobs is the quality of the parts. I've had multiple Chevrolet that easily got over 60,000 on just the brake pads. The Town & Country drives nice on the highway, and is nice and roomy for long trips, but I also question the quality of the parts they are using.

I was recently in the same situation and compared the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse, Acura MDX and Honda Pilot, all 2018 models. The Acadia was ok, but I was worried about long-term reliability so we eventually ruled that vehicle out. The MDX had too many features I wasn't interested in and would never use, and it looked too much like a mini-van, so that was out. I liked the look of the re-designed Pilot and it was a front runner to purchase. I test drove it twice, asked a lot of questions, and couldn't get past two things ~ the only charging ports were between the front seats (useless for our family, we need them in the 2nd and 3rd row seats, too) and the only way to get captain's chairs in the second row was to purchase the highest model, at $50,000+. That would be a nope! We ended up with a 2018 Chevy Traverse and love it. It has everything we wanted and we are very happy with our purchase.
How much was the Traverse? With three rows isn’t it like 55k?

To be fair, brakes and shocks are wear items. Front brakes typically last 15-30k miles depending on how you drive, and shocks usually are done around 100k miles or 10 years. However, yes, Chrysler quality is, well...not good.

I know. But, my brakes are lasting me less than 20k miles, and I shouldn't have needed a new transmission at less than 85k miles. My mechanic said the brakes on the Grand Caravan are under-designed for the load of the van, that's why they wear out so fast. IN looking at new(er) vehicles, I was originally considering the Pacifica. But after the mechanic bills of the past couple months, I just...can't.

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that for our family of 5, a minivan feels too small. We rent them frequently when on vacation--with the idea that it's only a week so it's worth saving the $--but I am always overcome with how much more comfortable our (extended size) SUV is when we get back. I'll be the first to admit that I am on the claustrophobic side though and like the idea of plenty of space lol.

If the $ works out, I would go the extended SUV route (expedition/navigator L or suburban/escalade) for the extra space. If you have been happy with your minivan's space in the past though, your family might be just fine continuing on that route...

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that for our family of 5, a minivan feels too small. We rent them frequently when on vacation--with the idea that it's only a week so it's worth saving the $--but I am always overcome with how much more comfortable our (extended size) SUV is when we get back. I'll be the first to admit that I am on the claustrophobic side though and like the idea of plenty of space lol.

If the $ works out, I would go the extended SUV route (expedition/navigator L or suburban/escalade) for the extra space. If you have been happy with your minivan's space in the past though, your family might be just fine continuing on that route...

Most of the extra space in a large SUV is in the cargo area, not the passenger compartment. In fact, in some ways the second and third rows of minivans are more spacious than a Suburban/Expedition.

The big benefit from the Suburbans and such (which I'm not putting down, I love them) comes from being able to haul more stuff and tow things that a minivan can't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter