Need new car for family of 5-opinions needed

asafko

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 5 - kids are ages 16, 14, and 11 (almost 12). We currently have 2 minivans (both Sienas) and one needs replacing. Wondering if there is anything other than a minivan that would accommodate us comfortably. Any opinions out there?

No, there is nothing that will work as well as a minivan. Period. We're a family of 5 as well. I know most people shy away from minivans because of their "image", but they're far, far better at people transport than an SUV (unless you're buying a Suburban size truck, which you don't need unless you're towing a huge trailer or something).

If you want comfort, ease of access, passenger room and efficiency for a family, minivan is by far the best answer.

We are a family of 5 - kids are ages 16, 14, and 11 (almost 12). We currently have 2 minivans (both Sienas) and one needs replacing. Wondering if there is anything other than a minivan that would accommodate us comfortably. Any opinions out there?

We are a family of 6. Kids are 23 21 19 16.

Have had our Sienna for 10 years. Still love it.

As the kids have gotten older, we've had more reason for a minivan. Hauling kids off to college and back home, sports equipment and sports travel weekends, groceries lots of groceries!

Oldest ds got married last year an hour away. We needed every bit of the van and then some to haul stuff to the rehearsal dinner and wedding and then home.

Last week, dh and I and 2 of the kids went in a 7 hour road trip. Plenty of room for us to spread out (the kids drove some and we rode in the back!)

The van also gives us room to bring Grandma with us out site seeing when we visit her.

We've hauled home improvement project materials, etc. in it.

I purchase from Sam's club for work and load up the mini van.

Even when it goes, I can see myself getting another one or something very similar.

Last edited:
Another family of 5...love my Honda Odyssey. With 5 adult sized people, nothing beats a minivan. Has been awesome for transporting kids (and cargo) to college! We looked at Suburbans before our last minivan purchase, decided the van was so much more comfortable.

We also had a Toyota Sienna...for 11 years. Sold it to our friends before we moved across state. Got the Toyota Highlander. I really don’t think the 3rd row in the Highlander is all that different than the 3rd row in the Sienna. Just like the minivan, the smallest kid(s) go in the last row.

We are a family of 6. Kids are 23 21 19 16.

Have had our Sienna for 10 years. Still love it.

As the kids have gotten older, we've had more reason for a van. Hauling kids off to college and back home, sports equipment and sports travel weekends, groceries lots of groceries!

Oldest ds got married last year an hour away. We needed every bit of the van and then some to haul stuff to the rehearsal dinner and wedding and then home.

Last week, dh and I and 2 of the kids went in a 7 hour road trip. Plenty of room for us to spread out (the kids drove some and we rode in the back!)

The van also gives us room to bring Grandma with us out site seeing when we visit her.

We've hauled home improvement project materials, etc. in it.

I purchase from Sam's club for work and load up the van.

Even when it goes, I can see myself getting another one or something very similar.

Do you mean a minivan or full sized van? Full size vans are even more spacious than minivans, but they're unwieldy and lack the "luxuries" minivans offer...they're much more utilitarian. I tried to convince DW we needed one, but I got outvoted one to one. I even tried the conversion van route, but lost that too. :D

Other than a minivan, you're looking at an SUV. I would look at ones with a 3rd row (and preferably a 3rd row that splits so you can extend the storage.
Though, my SIL has 3 (17, 11, and almost 9) and somehow they all fit in a Toyota Camry, though I think that's for minimal distances.

Thanks so much for all the input...we were considering the Honda Pilot but am now leaning towards another mini-van.

The Pilot is great as SUVs go, if you're into them, but it'll still pale in comparison to the family friendly use that a minivan will offer. If you want to look at Honda, check out the Odyssey, which is on the same platform at the Pilot.

Thanks so much for all the input...we were considering the Honda Pilot but am now leaning towards another mini-van.
You still have one minivan in good shape though correct? I'd start thinking ahead to when the 16 year old may no longer be in the home (hello college?) and if the 16 yo will be driving regularly. With one minivan still in the picture no need for 2 large family vehicles...

We too are a family of 5; 3 years ago the mini van went away - the then 17 year old had a car (gift from grandma-very old reliable sedan for her 16th bday). On the rare occasions we now have to go somewhere as a family of 5 the DH's Honda CRV or my 4Runner will do for shorter excursions. My oldest traded up for her older Escape last summer.

DH traded in the minivan for much better gas mileage CRV as he drives alot for work.

The mini van we are keeping has a lot of miles as well (over 100K), it is just in better shape than the other. We do a lot of traveling and my husband drives a ton for work. Our 16 year old won't drive because she is legally blind but our 14 year old will be in a few years.

We have a Honda Pilot and I absolutely love it! It’s great in the winter for making the climb up our hill when snow hits. And we have comfortably sat 8 in it. I am minivan adverse though.

The mini van we are keeping has a lot of miles as well (over 100K), it is just in better shape than the other. We do a lot of traveling and my husband drives a ton for work. Our 16 year old won't drive because she is legally blind but our 14 year old will be in a few years.
All important considerations. We personally, also found as the kids get older we don't need as much "stuff" when we travel (thank goodness!!)
I hate car shopping lol-it's why I am hanging on to my 2001 4Runner-has had most stuff replaced and routine maintenance religously at this point, runs fine(now) and no reason to get rid of it :)

We are a family of 6 and I traded our odyssey to an MDX a couple years ago. I love it. Kids are 19, 10, 8, 2. The oldest doesn't ride with us alot, so we mostly fit 5 or less in the car. It works great for around town. I usually have all 3 kids in the 2nd row and hockey gear, etc in the way back. The 3rd row splits so I can have a seat and some extra storage if needed. We are running into the issue now, though, that if we want to carpool to hockey, for example, we can't. I can't fit an extra kid or 2 AND their hockey gear in the car with my 3 kids. Also, we mostly fly places, but it we are driving any more than 2-3 hours, we rent a van. I am fine with that as I don't have kids eating and such in my car on road trips and I still get to have my SUV. I consider it a good compromise if you are over driving a van.

I have one kid and always wanted a van but my husband wouldn't have it. My mother in law used to have one and I borrowed it a couple times to haul my son's friends around. I rented one for vacation and loved having all that room. Now with grandkids (my step daughters have children) a van would come in very handy. Even if your kids grow up there will always be friends tagging along, etc.

Do you mean a minivan or full sized van? Full size vans are even more spacious than minivans, but they're unwieldy and lack the "luxuries" minivans offer...they're much more utilitarian. I tried to convince DW we needed one, but I got outvoted one to one. I even tried the conversion van route, but lost that too. :D

Toyota Sienna mini van.

I'm curious--why don't you want another minivan? I ask because I'm looking at replacing my current minivan, with a Toyota Sienna. In fact, DH and I were at the dealership on Friday, browsing. I'm looking for a gently used 2015-ish XLE. The salesman had a 2014 with 76k miles-a little more than I'm looking for, but he wanted me to see the features, etc. I pointed out to DH--if it had had lower miles and been blue, it would be in our driveway right now. I really liked it.

Interestingly, the salesman also said that you'd be surprised at how many older people drive minivans--they want room for when they travel, room for the grandkids, etc.

BTW, we have 4 kids, but only three at home. We have a sedan in our driveway--it's going to our oldest, she's graduated college and needs it. I have to say, I don't care to drive it, and it would be tough fitting all 5 of us in there. It's a Chevy Impala--not a tiny car. All three of my at-home kids are taller than me--I'm going to say DD15 is the shortest at 5'6". DS21 is at least 6 feet, and DS12 is growing so fast, I can't keep up--we expect he's going to be 6'3" when he's done, he was 5'7" when he left for camp this morning. So, leg room is a valuable commodity.

We love our Sienas (hence the reason we have two!). I guess I was thinking of trying to downsize for gas mileage but in reality, we do need the space.

When it was time to replace our van 2 years ago, we decided to get another van. Our last kid is a HS senior this year and I still enjoy having all the space.

We traded a Sienna for a Kia and have been happy with it so far. We are a tall family and the Sienna and Kia offered the best space. DH (6'8") did not have enough head or leg space to drive other models we tried. The Toyota Sears were more plush but I love the seat warmer in the Kia so it worked out.

We still haul kids and family when they visit, have 3 dogs, and take lots of road trips. DS plays lacrosse so it's easy to store his gear and chairs for games. It would be nice to drive something else but this makes sense for us.

Where do yo live? Does your family need 2 vehicles? We have been getting by with 1 car for 3 drivers for the past 5 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter