my trips

spiceycat

dvc-blt
Mother has tried to invite herself along on my May trip - I have say no and I will continue to say no.

my trip in May - will be to see the new things - get my annual pass and to have a fun and relaxing trip.

however I got the postcard - so I made a reservation at AKL, VWL and BCV - the last two using my DVC points - so I am taking her in July....yea I know hot... but before in July (when I took my niece) WDW had late hours - so I am thinking early morning leave the parks around 10:00 am when it gets to be too hot, then come back that evening. doing the AK at AKL, MK at VWL and EPcot at BCV -

now this might be consider to be rude to my mother (she is 82) - but she has invited herself on about 70 of my trips.... We had agreed last year (after taking her to the hospital twice in one year after the trips) - no more - but she has been begging me to go in May. (oh nothing serious was wrong - I think it was I don't want to go home and I will make her (me) pay for it)

July is hot enough that I can have my rest - and she gets to go to the parks

I am allergic to the sun - so I can't go out in the hours 11 to 4pm regardless - this has upset her on prior trips. I have to walk my cat around lunch - since I can walk him - she thinks I can do the parks too....

Spicey is a must - doing the parks is not.

Oh she is in a wheelchair that I have to push. So it is hard work for me. She is seating in the chair having a wonderful time - so she can't understand how hard it is for me.

I pay for everything - room (villa), transportation, food - and she complaints....

I am taking my friends in Nov - we only get 2 days of the wine/food festavial - but I guess that is better than nothing. this is my other timeshare and I must take the week that is assigned to me.

so do my plans look okay to you.

I think I can understand your feelings about your mother going. I'm somewhat concerned about feeling the same way after my May trip with my mother. Like you, my May trip was supposed to be solo, until Mom invited herself along. I'm hoping everything works out, but I'm somewhat nervous that we'll be at each others' throats by trip's end. At least she's paying her share. Otherwise I would be resentful, I think. But there's a part of me that misses my solo trip, and wish I didn't have to wait all the way until December now (but I'm just trying to be grateful I can go again in the same year).

spiceycat said:
Mother has tried to invite herself along on my May trip - I have say no and I will continue to say no.

my trip in May - will be to see the new things - get my annual pass and to have a fun and relaxing trip.

however I got the postcard - so I made a reservation at AKL, VWL and BCV - the last two using my DVC points - so I am taking her in July....yea I know hot... but before in July (when I took my niece) WDW had late hours - so I am thinking early morning leave the parks around 10:00 am when it gets to be too hot, then come back that evening. doing the AK at AKL, MK at VWL and EPcot at BCV -

now this might be consider to be rude to my mother (she is 82) - but she has invited herself on about 70 of my trips.... We had agreed last year (after taking her to the hospital twice in one year after the trips) - no more - but she has been begging me to go in May. (oh nothing serious was wrong - I think it was I don't want to go home and I will make her (me) pay for it)

July is hot enough that I can have my rest - and she gets to go to the parks

I am allergic to the sun - so I can't go out in the hours 11 to 4pm regardless - this has upset her on prior trips. I have to walk my cat around lunch - since I can walk him - she thinks I can do the parks too....

Spicey is a must - doing the parks is not.

Oh she is in a wheelchair that I have to push. So it is hard work for me. She is seating in the chair having a wonderful time - so she can't understand how hard it is for me.

I pay for everything - room (villa), transportation, food - and she complaints....

I am taking my friends in Nov - we only get 2 days of the wine/food festavial - but I guess that is better than nothing. this is my other timeshare and I must take the week that is assigned to me.

so do my plans look okay to you.
:wave: Hi Spiceycat :)

I'll be going solo on my first Disney trip in May also. Only it is to Disneyland. No one wanted to go along due to one thing or another so I have the time and just decided to go for it! I think it is all right for you to do the same.
Mom (85) went with us last summer, but with her having arthritis in her knee she really is not up for much more traveling and she knows it.
I think it has been nice of you to include your family members the way you have over the years being a DVC member :goodvibes
You deserve some time to yourself.
Have a Magical Vacation! :cool1:

Hi Pat!

Talk about deja vu. I'm doing a solo trip May 14-21st also. My mother (as well as my ex) invited themselves along. I needed to vent and posted here on this particular forum also. I found the guts to tell them that this trip was for me and me alone. I told my mother she could come on my Dec trip as long as she pays her own way (which of course I know she won't--her favorite phrases are "I'm gonna let you buy me this" and "I'm your only mother and you won't have me forever. I wish I had a mother to buy for"). Anyway I believe you were one of the people who responded to my rant. I really appreciated it and now I am going to give you the same advice. This trip is for you (and Spicey), enjoy your time, and do the things you want to do and wouldn't get a chance to do if you were with someone else. I started my PS today and plan to eat places my son and GD wouldn't eat at on our Jan trip. I've also booked three 8:30 am tours (Sedgeway on May 15, Backstage Safari on May 16, and KTTK on May 18). Tell your mother you are going on these tours and wheelchairs are not allowed. In fact why don't you really go on these tours since all three are early in the morning (with an AP you get 15% off each one). I'll even treat you for lunch. I think you are being more than generous taking your mom in July. Do you think she's going to try to go with you on the fall trip for the F&W Festival? If so, don't you think you deserve one trip solo? Your plans look great to me.

Just an idea, but I bet you could rent one of those electic wheelchairs or the like in Orlando. There's probably a local company that would drop it off/pick it up at your hotel. Check over on the Disabilities Board! At least that would make your vacation a little more relaxing.

:)

EthansMom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter