My TR - a bunch of reviews and random thoughts.

Sorry, been off here for a few days.
We've stayed at the Naviti twice (with kids and friends) and also stayed at Plantation Island.
We were in Bali this past July and loved it. We stayed one night at the Safari Park, 4 nights Kuta and 4 nights Benoa. We absolutely loved Kuta!! It's all the hustle and bustle I think. We didnt really see the Aussie Bogans, but we also weren't out at night or in areas that they hang out I guess.
We are going back in January and staying at Club Med, for a completely different holiday. We plan on going back into Kuta for a day, and also redoing Waterbom park and the Segways tour.
Not sure how you feel about it, but we did swimming with the dolphins. It was amazing. They are in pens in the ocean, but are apparently let out and return of their own free will. I guess you need to make the choice if you agree with this or not.
We didnt do Ubud last time, and think we'll give it a miss again. We do plan to do a day trip around some of the beautiful beaches like Uluwatu, Padang Padang and Secret beach. A day trip is about $50-$60 now. I believe petrol prices increased sometime last year. We did pay our driver about $80, but we were very happy with him.
Let me know if you want any more info on Bali.

Sorry, been off here for a few days.
We've stayed at the Naviti twice (with kids and friends) and also stayed at Plantation Island.
We were in Bali this past July and loved it. We stayed one night at the Safari Park, 4 nights Kuta and 4 nights Benoa. We absolutely loved Kuta!! It's all the hustle and bustle I think. We didnt really see the Aussie Bogans, but we also weren't out at night or in areas that they hang out I guess.
We are going back in January and staying at Club Med, for a completely different holiday. We plan on going back into Kuta for a day, and also redoing Waterbom park and the Segways tour.
Not sure how you feel about it, but we did swimming with the dolphins. It was amazing. They are in pens in the ocean, but are apparently let out and return of their own free will. I guess you need to make the choice if you agree with this or not.
We didnt do Ubud last time, and think we'll give it a miss again. We do plan to do a day trip around some of the beautiful beaches like Uluwatu, Padang Padang and Secret beach. A day trip is about $50-$60 now. I believe petrol prices increased sometime last year. We did pay our driver about $80, but we were very happy with him.
Let me know if you want any more info on Bali.

Thanks Aussie Shaz. It's wonderful that you have first hand experience with Bali as I would definitely like to pick your brain on a few things.

Firstly, where did you stay on your last trip and are they places you'd recommend. I think I've pretty much decided on where I would like to stay, and have even booked our Ubud accommodation, but nothing is 100% set in stone yet.

Also, do you pay for the VIP service through the airport, and if so, who do you book with? I have heard that queues at the airport can sometimes be manic, and after a long flight, I'd prefer to avoid that.

Cheers for the advice on the dolphins, however I'm a bit funny about captive marine mammals. I didn't even visit places like Seaworld or Discovery Cove in Orlando because I felt too guilty. (Hypocritical given how much I enjoyed Animal Kingdom).
Thanks anyway though.

How did you enjoy Naviti? I haven't been there, but have always wondered what it's like. People always seem to get confused between it and the similarly named Navini where we stay.

I booked and paid a deposit for the first of 3 accommodation places in Bali.

We have decided to split our stay into 3 with 3 nights in Jimbaran, 4 nights in Ubud, and 2 nights somewhere else.

The 3 nights in Jimbaran will most likely be spent at Rimba Jimbaran Bali. I haven't booked it yet, but I'm hoping if I save hard enough we will be able to afford one of the pool access rooms.
Big resorts aren't really our thing, but they have the benefit of a kids club, and DH and I would love a couple of days on this trip to spend time as a couple. Especially since the start of our trip will fall on our anniversary. This resort looks really pretty and is in Jimbaran which I was keen on. As silly as it sounds, I want to stay at least a few nights in Jimbaran so I can go on my own to one of the 3 hour perfume making workshops. It sounds right up my alley. :)
http://www.parfumsetcreations.com/index-en.html

The 4 nights in Ubud was the hardest to decide. The resorts and villas here are right up my alley and I fell in love with at least half a dozen of them. The jungle and rice field scenery in the area is so beautiful and more appealing to me than the beaches.
One villa in particular grabbed my attention when I was looking this past weekend and the more I thought about it, the more I decided I would be gutted if someone else booked it. So I put in a deposit tonight. I can cancel if by chance I change my mind, but I don't think I will.
It's a 3 bedroom villa which is way bigger than we need, but I fell in love with the huge pool, lovely gardens, rice padi views from the big terraces, and the cheap cost of in house massages. Plus the owners run you into town whenever you want and they provide you with a free cell phone to phone them up when you're ready to be picked up. This service is complimentary which is great.
It is Villa #1 at Villa Agung Khalia
http://www.agungkhalia.com/villa_one.html
The Home and Away website has a few extra photos
http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p206871vb

Our last 2 nights are undecided, but I am awaiting a quote from a lovely little place in Seminyak. I was originally interested in a place in Nusa Dua, but the added cost for DS pushed it over our budget (US$120 p/n extra for an additional bed and breakfast for a seven year old :eek: )
All I know is that I want to be within about 30 mins of the airport on the last night as our flight is at a stupid time).

So as you can see, our plans are coming along rather quickly. It's what happens when I have a huge taskload at work and I keep researching holidays in order to procrastinate. :rolleyes:

We stayed at the Kuta Townhouses in Kuta for 4 nights. It's difficult for us because we have 2 boys age 11 and 13, so we always need 2 rooms or a 2 bedroom apartment. We chose Kuta Townhouses because of the great price for their apartments. I did have a couple of problems there, but they werent really about the actual hotel. It was smack bang in the middle of Kuta, which was great for a few days.
The other place was the Novotel in Benoa. Again because we could get a 2 bedroom family suite. It had a lovely pool, and did have a kids club, but our kids were a bit old for it. It was quite windy on the beach though, which wasnt so nice. It may have been the time of year though. We did some watersports from here. Some great (flying fish) and some not so great (water donut)
I'd suggest you look at Sanur for your last couple of nights. There's some nice beachfront resorts, so a bit of a relax at the end as well. There's also some nice villas near the beach if you want a villa instead. We visited Sanur to do the Segways (which we loved) and its pretty nice there. Lots of shops and restaurants, but not as busy as Kuta/Legian/Seminyak.
Regrading Fiji. We did really like the Naviti, as it is all inclusive, which is great in Fiji. The pools were lovely and it had a swim up bar. I guess the downside is the beach. As its not an island (as such) the beach wasnt as nice as the outer islands of Fiji. We did enjoy a couple of day tours like the boat ride up to a river village, and also quite enjoyed the Cultural centre (which I'm usually not keen on).
I think we're more activity based travellers and I do like a bit of shopping. Fiji just didnt have enough to do and had no shopping!

About the VIP at the airport. We didnt use it. At $100 for the 4 of us, I'd rather stand in line:)
I really don't think it took that long. The VOA was very quick, don't think we even waited at all. Immigration took maybe 20-30 mins I guess. Our luggage was out and had been removed from the baggage carousel when we got to it.
We've had much longer waits at LAX.
Also, the VIP isn't available at the moment. No-one knows if or when it will be up and running again. The debate is 'is it legit or illegal?' Not sure of the answer there.

About the VIP at the airport. We didnt use it. At $100 for the 4 of us, I'd rather stand in line:) I really don't think it took that long. The VOA was very quick, don't think we even waited at all. Immigration took maybe 20-30 mins I guess. Our luggage was out and had been removed from the baggage carousel when we got to it. We've had much longer waits at LAX. Also, the VIP isn't available at the moment. No-one knows if or when it will be up and running again. The debate is 'is it legit or illegal?' Not sure of the answer there.

Interesting. I didn't realise there was controversy surrounding it and it had stopped being available. I guess that news has just saved me a few $$ :)

Thanks for the advice on Sanur. I had looked at the accommodation there and hadn't quite found what I was after, but will have another look. Quieter sounds good.

On another subject...

I can't quite believe I'm saying this, but DH and I followed in your footsteps and booked our anniversary trip to Bali! I never thought I'd go back, but DH hasn't been, and the Jetstar/Air Asia specials were just too good to pass up.

I haven't been since the whole internet travel thing really opened up (TripAdvisor, forums etc). I'm confident that I'll be able to research a nice place for us to stay and some enjoyable things to do :thumbsup2

YAY!

Even I was tempted by the Air Asia specials. But I am coming up to a very busy time at work and really can't afford to take any more time off. Looking forward to living vicariously through you and Wanderlust. :thumbsup2

Wow sounds like it's all coming together nicely already :thumbsup2

We're thinking of taking a short side trip from Bali to break it up. At this stage we're looking at heading directly to the other destination for the first 3-4 nights, then spending 2-3 nights in Bali somewhere relatively close to the airport (we have an early flight home too).

We're trying to keep the trip pretty simple, so we're only looking at destinations that have a direct connection to Denpasar and are less than 3 hours. Plus avoiding all the dodgy domestic airlines of course. Doesn't leave us too many options so it shouldn't be too hard to pin down a location.

In other news, it looks like I'll be able to work a half day on the 17th. By the time I get into the city it won't leave me much time, but at least we'll be able to meet in 3D :thumbsup2

I booked and paid a deposit for the first of 3 accommodation places in Bali.

We have decided to split our stay into 3 with 3 nights in Jimbaran, 4 nights in Ubud, and 2 nights somewhere else.

Your accommodation looks great so far.

Love the perfume workshop. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

YAY! Even I was tempted by the Air Asia specials. But I am coming up to a very busy time at work and really can't afford to take any more time off. Looking forward to living vicariously through you and Wanderlust. :thumbsup2

Just out of curiosity, what sort of specials does Australia get to places like Bali? I'm guessing they're pretty good due to it being a major tourist destination for Australians.

Here in NZ, about the only places that frequently come up as really cheap are either Australia or Tonga. There used to be some really great deals to Singapore with Jetstar, but I haven't seen one of those specials in quite a while (not that I've been looking too hard I suppose.)

The prices we paid to Bali were cheap comparatively to other school holiday airfares, but anything direct was about as expensive as a flight to LA.

Your accommodation looks great so far. Love the perfume workshop. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

I think the perfume workshop looks pretty cool too. I don't spend a lot of money on myself when it comes to make-up etc, but one thing I always like to have is a nice perfume.

Wow sounds like it's all coming together nicely already :thumbsup2 We're thinking of taking a short side trip from Bali to break it up. At this stage we're looking at heading directly to the other destination for the first 3-4 nights, then spending 2-3 nights in Bali somewhere relatively close to the airport (we have an early flight home too). We're trying to keep the trip pretty simple, so we're only looking at destinations that have a direct connection to Denpasar and are less than 3 hours. Plus avoiding all the dodgy domestic airlines of course. Doesn't leave us too many options so it shouldn't be too hard to pin down a location. In other news, it looks like I'll be able to work a half day on the 17th. By the time I get into the city it won't leave me much time, but at least we'll be able to meet in 3D :thumbsup2

What places are you looking at going to?

I must admit it never occurred to me to price up ongoing flights to other parts of Asia, but it probably would have been a cheaper way to get to places of interest than the more direct flights from NZ.
In saying that, the more I have looked into Bali, the more excited I am, and the more I think we will be able to keep ourselves pretty busy staying put.

The place that we are staying in Ubud sent me a booking email last night with more information on their services. We can hire a car and driver for 8hours for 500,000RP. (That's about US$42). I know that's fairly standard, but I still can't get over how cheap it is. I think we will hire a driver for the day we go to Ubud and the day we leave Ubud. That way we can tiki-tour around between check-in and check-out of the the various hotels.

Yay, it's all sounding so very exciting and is coming together nicely. :)

Just out of curiosity, what sort of specials does Australia get to places like Bali? I'm guessing they're pretty good due to it being a major tourist destination for Australians.

Here in NZ, about the only places that frequently come up as really cheap are either Australia or Tonga. There used to be some really great deals to Singapore with Jetstar, but I haven't seen one of those specials in quite a while (not that I've been looking too hard I suppose.)

The prices we paid to Bali were cheap comparatively to other school holiday airfares, but anything direct was about as expensive as a flight to LA.

Wow that's crazy! No wonder you haven't spent much time in Asia! We usually get change out of $1000 for a return flight anywhere in Asia on a good special, unless we're going up a class.

From Perth, it's generally cheaper to fly to Bali than to Melbourne. It's only a 3 hour flight from there and flights are usually less than $200 each way.

From Melbourne, it's a bit more of a hike (about 6 hours), and is generally more expensive. I haven't really looked into it because I've never been interested, but I think you can generally get return flights for between $600-$700.

I don't think you want to hear how insanely cheap these AirAsia specials were :rolleyes1

What places are you looking at going to?

I must admit it never occurred to me to price up ongoing flights to other parts of Asia, but it probably would have been a cheaper way to get to places of interest than the more direct flights from NZ.
In saying that, the more I have looked into Bali, the more excited I am, and the more I think we will be able to keep ourselves pretty busy staying put.

The place that we are staying in Ubud sent me a booking email last night with more information on their services. We can hire a car and driver for 8hours for 500,000RP. (That's about US$42). I know that's fairly standard, but I still can't get over how cheap it is. I think we will hire a driver for the day we go to Ubud and the day we leave Ubud. That way we can tiki-tour around between check-in and check-out of the the various hotels.

Yay, it's all sounding so very exciting and is coming together nicely. :)

If you're happy with Bali, no need to look at any other destinations :thumbsup2 Bali does seem particularly cheap, but it is definitely similar pricing to other Asian destinations. For us, a trip to Asia can be cheaper than a domestic holiday, even with flights. And if isn't significantly cheaper, then it is much more luxurious than we could ever afford in Australia.

We're not sure where else we might go yet. It's still the very early preliminary stages of research. But based on the flights available, it will most likely be somewhere in Java.

wow! what an amazing trip. The pictures of the animals were just fantastic. It's a part of the USA that is definitely on my list. Loved the pictures of Old Faithful Inn also. The snow fall would have been a great experience. We have not given DS a snow experience at all - other than the Snow during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party on WDW Main street- I know something like that would be very memorable.

I too hate inconsistency and not getting what you have been promised/paid for so thats disappointing about Hawaiian Airlines. Hope you get a meaningful response to your email.

You don't let any moss grow on your holiday plans do you? :) Bali next thats awesome. I like the idea of the villa with the private pool.

Zanzibar might not want to make you turn green with envy....but the recent deal was a very short-term one-time special. I'm not so kind. :p

Air Asia just announced they were opening up the route between Melbourne and Bali. Opening specials were $99 one way. Insanely cheap! :rolleyes1

I was SERIOUSLY tempted; but I can't afford to take time off work.

wow! what an amazing trip. The pictures of the animals were just fantastic. It's a part of the USA that is definitely on my list. Loved the pictures of Old Faithful Inn also. The snow fall would have been a great experience. We have not given DS a snow experience at all - other than the Snow during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party on WDW Main street- I know something like that would be very memorable. I too hate inconsistency and not getting what you have been promised/paid for so thats disappointing about Hawaiian Airlines. Hope you get a meaningful response to your email. You don't let any moss grow on your holiday plans do you? :) Bali next thats awesome. I like the idea of the villa with the private pool.

Thanks Iffam :)

The whole Yellowstone experience was so magical and I often catch myself reminiscing and wishing I was still back there. I think it's knowing that it's now shut for the season and I technically couldn't be back there even if I wanted to, that's keeping the post Yellowstone blues away. :)
The day we woke up to snow was particularly special. We drove over Dunraven Pass (the highest altitude road inside the park) that day and it was near the top that the snow was still falling and DS got to feel it falling on his face. So lovely.

It's now been about 3 weeks since I emailed Hawaiian, so I'm expecting a response sometime soon. I'll be chasing them up if I hear nothing.

It's dreadful really how quickly I have jumped into booking another trip when I swore beforehand I wouldn't. Oh well, you only live once (at least that's what I'll keep telling myself) :rotfl:

Zanzibar might not want to make you turn green with envy....but the recent deal was a very short-term one-time special. I'm not so kind. :p Air Asia just announced they were opening up the route between Melbourne and Bali. Opening specials were $99 one way. Insanely cheap! :rolleyes1 I was SERIOUSLY tempted; but I can't afford to take time off work.

That is so cool!

A tiny bit envious, but mainly just really happy for Zanzibar. :thumbsup2

Our Virgin flights were no where near as cheap, but at about $850 (Au$750) return, they were a pretty good price for NZ. Especially since the cheapest flights to Fiji over Easter were coming up around $750 (which I consider expensive).

Wow that's crazy! No wonder you haven't spent much time in Asia! We usually get change out of $1000 for a return flight anywhere in Asia on a good special, unless we're going up a class. From Perth, it's generally cheaper to fly to Bali than to Melbourne. It's only a 3 hour flight from there and flights are usually less than $200 each way. From Melbourne, it's a bit more of a hike (about 6 hours), and is generally more expensive. I haven't really looked into it because I've never been interested, but I think you can generally get return flights for between $600-$700. I don't think you want to hear how insanely cheap these AirAsia specials were :rolleyes1 If you're happy with Bali, no need to look at any other destinations :thumbsup2 Bali does seem particularly cheap, but it is definitely similar pricing to other Asian destinations. For us, a trip to Asia can be cheaper than a domestic holiday, even with flights. And if isn't significantly cheaper, then it is much more luxurious than we could ever afford in Australia. We're not sure where else we might go yet. It's still the very early preliminary stages of research. But based on the flights available, it will most likely be somewhere in Java.

I wish most Asia routes were under $1000 for us too, but generally only if Jetstar have a super special.

I think I have seen return flights to Thailand for about $600, but those specials are few and far between, they usually sell out in a matter of minutes, and they rarely apply to school holidays (unfortunately the only time I can fly). During the holidays, the same flights are usually in the $1300 - $1400 mark.

I have seen lately though that flights to Japan are coming down (they're closer to $1000), so maybe that will be an option sometime in the future.

I know nothing about Java other than the fact that I love Javanese furnishings. :rotfl: I'll be keen to hear all about it.

I wish most Asia routes were under $1000 for us too, but generally only if Jetstar have a super special.

I think I have seen return flights to Thailand for about $600, but those specials are few and far between, they usually sell out in a matter of minutes, and they rarely apply to school holidays (unfortunately the only time I can fly). During the holidays, the same flights are usually in the $1300 - $1400 mark.

I have seen lately though that flights to Japan are coming down (they're closer to $1000), so maybe that will be an option sometime in the future.

I know nothing about Java other than the fact that I love Javanese furnishings. :rotfl: I'll be keen to hear all about it.

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get my return flight from Fiji for my US trip for under $500 (I was returning during the school holiday period). It's why I went with a rewards fare in the end. The flight over there was about $280, which seemed to be quite a good special from Australia.

DH and I are lucky (especially now that DH works for himself and I'm doing more casual work) that we can be pretty flexible with our dates and take advantage of these super specials.

We've got our Javanese options down to 2, either Yogyakarta or Surabaya. I have actually been to Yogyakarta but it was many many years ago on a school trip, and I don't remember that much of it. I'd like to revisit Borobodur and Prambanan as a more aware adult, although I realise that it will be much more crowded now. Also near Yogyakarta is the Dieng Plateau, with some stunning looking volcanic scenery, a caving expedition or less intimidating cave tubing, and a silver making workshop. There's also Mt Merapi, but that looks like a bit of a serious volcano climb for us and we'll probably just enjoy the views from the other places we visit. I have bookmarked a brand new hotel there which we both really like the look of for about $50 a night. In Surabaya there is Mt Bromo, which is a less intense volcano climb (you can even be taken up by pony which could be fun). There's also some nice looking scenery trekking through rice fields. I haven't found a hotel in this area that stands out yet. It's a pretty tough choice! Starting to wish we'd booked a bit longer and had time to do both :rotfl: Whichever option we go with, we'll keep it simple and just stay put for our first 4 nights.

We have booked in our last 2 nights of the trip in Jimbaran (nice and close to the airport) at Alindra Villas. The pool villa wasn't within our budget, but the one we've booked is a modern Balinese style villa with a semi-open bathroom including spa bath. There is a very nice looking hotel pool too if we feel like swimming. Not bad for $90 a night :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter