My journey.....so far

Sorry the run didn't go exactly has planned but I guess in some ways it is good to change things up a bit. I bet you weren't bored with the scenery at least!

And sorry to hear about your dd not placing. Sounds like she does have a positive outlook about it at least!

I enjoyed the scenery although it's a sad reminder of the economy here. My family is blessed to have good jobs, but so many in our town do not. There were so many homes for sale and for rent in their neighborhood. I ran down every street in their neighborhood and the one next to it and was just amazed at exactly how many places were for sale.

In the last 5 years, we've seen 2 of the areas 5 biggest employers close. Merck Chemical and Cooper Tire have both closed which caused thousands to lose their jobs. The local hospital is another major employer and they've been cutting back. The Marine Base is another major employer in the area and they are constantly on the shut down list. It's sad really.

I feel really slack lately. I didn't hit my goal of 13 miles Sunday. I also didn't run my 5k this morning. I've been working some crazy long hours at work and I just couldn't make myself get out of bed. I felt I would be better served getting the extra rest.

I've got my next race (it's only a 5k) coming up in less than 3 weeks so I've got to regroup and get myself ready. I've gotten lazy (probably a bad choice of words) from doing long runs on the weekend because I can go a much slower pace and I get my walk breaks every 5 minutes. When I run a 5k, my pace is considerably faster and no walk breaks. I'm thinking of scrapping the long run this weekend (especially since I'll be out of town anyways) and just working hard on my 5k times again for the next few weeks. I'll probably still do a long run Thanksgiving weekend (mainly because I'll need to burn the extra calories! lol).

Just needed to vent.

I can totally relate. I've been feeling a little deflated lately too. But I must keep plugging on!

I think your body is telling you to slow down a bit too. With all hours you are working it's no surprise that you are exhausted. Just take it easy and get back in the swing of things as soon as you can!

I made up my mind to give it a rest this week. I'm not running at all this week unless I get a chance to Sunday. DW and I are going camping with a few friends from church (no kids woo hoo!) near Callaway Gardens (outside Columbus, GA). The campgrounds we're staying at has a bunch of nature trails. I'm going to see if any of them are runnable. If so, I'll get in a run Sunday morning before everyone gets up. Then I'll start back on my normal schedule next of running next week.

My body will appreciate the break! lol.

I agree. Your body is telling you something. We all need breaks once in awhile. It will actually make you a better runner. Of course, all of my breaks have been due to injury, so what do I know?:laughing:

I made up my mind to give it a rest this week. I'm not running at all this week unless I get a chance to Sunday. DW and I are going camping with a few friends from church (no kids woo hoo!) near Callaway Gardens (outside Columbus, GA). The campgrounds we're staying at has a bunch of nature trails. I'm going to see if any of them are runnable. If so, I'll get in a run Sunday morning before everyone gets up. Then I'll start back on my normal schedule next of running next week.

My body will appreciate the break! lol.

I agree, you have been going at an amazing pace. Add to that your work schedule, and no wonder your tired. Give your body time to catch up. I would think with the way you have been running, that 5k in a few weeks will still be a piece of cake.

We got some bittersweet news yesterday. My grandmother who has Alzheimer's passed yesterday morning. It's bittersweet because we'll miss her; however she is definitely in a better place now and her memory is better than it ever was! I'll miss you Granny.

Due to the funeral being this weekend, we naturally cancelled our camping trip for this weekend. There is a very small local 5K tomorrow morning. I'm going to eat lunch with the family today and I'm going to swing by the registration place and see if it's too late if I register or if they're even still planning on having the race. If I can run, I'll have someone to dedicate the race to.

My grandmother was such a strong person. She raised 12 children, mostly by herself since my grandfather was killed in a car accident when many of the children were still small. She was a great inspiration to anyone who ever met her. She never gave up.

I am so very very sorry for your loss, Drag. My thoughts are with you and your family during this time. :hug:

Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother. She sounds like an incredible woman.

Good luck getting into your race tomorrow.

I was able to register. It starts tomorrow morning at 8am so that'll be good. It should still be nice and cool by then.

I'm not expecting alot of people running so it'll be a little more difficult for me to use faster runners to pace myself. I'm just going to go out there and try to run where I'm comfortable and then pace myself according that first mile. Hopefully, they have each mile marked. Honestly, this is not a highly organized race so I don't really know what to expect.

The area where we'll most likely run is the little town I do my 3 mile loop on, but there are some speed bumps on the main road that will cause them to route the race around the area I'm most familiar with. I promise you that's what they told me. I kind of laughed a little about speed bumps and a running race. I know they're just trying to keep everyone safe, but it just sounded funny hearing someone say it.

I'm looking forward to running though. Thank you all for your support, thoughts and prayers. My granny was a great Christian woman. I know she's in a better place and we'll miss her. It's not good-bye, it's just see ya' later.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, but you are right, she is in a better place. Her suffering is over.

I hope you did well on your race today. I ran one this summer that was a little podunk event. It was in the parking lot of a large outdoor mall near my house. It was so poorly marked that I missed a turn and ran farther than I needed to. The good news with these events though is that you can do really well in the field. I managed 9th overall, 3rd woman and 1st in my group. I'm not that fast, so it was pretty awesome.

So I got up early Saturday morning (would have loved sleeping in especially since we had no kids Friday night). I went down the road to the race. It was in my little town so it was literally 5 minutes away. I got there 15 minutes early and there was no one there. We were to meet at the city hall. The actual Pecan festival was down the road a little bit. I drove down there to see if they had changed the meeting place. There were lots of people there, but they were all vendors setting up for the festival. I drove back down to city hall and repeated the process every few minutes.

Finally, I saw a city truck on my way back to city hall and stopped to ask the guy if he knew anything about where the race was going to be. It was now 8am, the time we were supposed to meet. He said he didn't know, but the city manager was right there. I turned around and saw a car approaching. I flagged the car down and asked where the racers were meeting.

She informed me the race had been cancelled due to lack of participation. I asked her did they not realize there wasn't going to be enough participants when I registered the day before. I also asked was it too much to ask for a phone call since they had my phone number specifically for that reason.

She said they still wanted the racers to run in front of the parade and they'd recognize all the runners. I asked what time the parade started and she said 10am (2 hours later).

Frustrated, DW and I just went to get groceries (always nice w/o kids and definitely faster). We brought the groceries home and went to the Riverwalk to get our run in. We both had our best times yet!

All in all, the weekend was nice. I have a very large family. My dad (who's mother had passed) is one of 12 children. There are 53 grandchildren and 63 great-grandchilren. Needless to say, it was a weekend around a lot of people. I got to see family I haven't seen in years and eat some amazing food.

I've also been re-thinking my running. I've got a race coming up in less than 2 weeks. This will also be DW first race. It's a 5k. I'm going to push hard training for that over the next 2 weeks, but I'll still do my long, weekend runs.

I've decided I'm definitely going to do the 1/2 marathon in March as opposed to skipping and going straight for the full. I'm going to keep with the same basic schedule of changing my long runs every 2 weeks, but instead of going up a mile every 2 weeks, I'm going to add a minute to my run time vs. walk time.

This weekend, I'll do 13 miles at a run 5/walk 1 ratio. In two weeks, I'll go to a run 6/walk 1 ratio. My goal by the time the 1/2 marathon gets here is to either do very little walking or none at all. I'm currently able to do a 1/2 in less than 2 hours. I'd honestly like to get my time down to 1:30-1:40. If I cut the walking out altogether, I don't feel that is too difficult to achieve.

I'm going to stay with my current goal of my first full marathon being Disney 2013. I want to do that marathon w/o any walking as well.

I appreciate all the prayers and support in our loss and through my running journey. It's good to have folks to share it with.

Well that's disappointing!!! How frustrating to get up and go to race and there's no race! Well, at least you didn't have to go very far.

It is nice to see extended family, even under those circumstances. I'm sure grandma was smiling from above.

Glad to see you decided to do the half marathon. It's another medal of accomplishment for you, why deny yourself that great feeling.

Sorry the weekend didn't quite go exactly as planned but it does sound like it all worked out for the best!

Happy thanksgiving, Drag! Hope you have a fantastic day!

This is so no running related, but I had to share my frustration this morning. I always have to work on Black Friday so I've never tried shopping on Black Friday until last year. I got up really early to get 2 things at Target and one at K-Mart. Target opened an hour earlier than K-Mart so I got to Target about 30 minutes before it opened. By the time I found the items I was looking for (they weren't in their respective departments), they were sold out. I left and went to K-Mart and had the same luck there.

This year, I went to Old Navy to buy a pea coat for myself. Since I've lost weight, I don't own a coat, other than the blazers for the 2 suits I bought myself this summer, and Old Navy was advertising Men's Pea Coats for $25. Our Old Navy is in the mall and it was scheduled to open at 4am. The mall opened an hour before that. I got to the mall at 3am and was surprisingly one of the first 100 or so in line to get into Old Navy.

Once in the store, I, along with at least 30 other people couldn't find the men's pea coats. They had womens and childrens but the men's were no where to be found. A friend of mine from church asked a cashier where they were and she said they never got any in!

How can they advertise something on television, newspapers, and on the window of the store if they don't have it? I'm going to Old Navy.com today to complain and see if they have them for the same price there. Ugh!

I'm officially done with Black Friday. I could have went home and got a few extra hours of sleep, but I was sooooooooo pissed I knew I wouldn't be able to go to sleep. I decided to come on in to work and get stuff done before everyone else got here.

Ouch this is the main reason on Black Friday why I do most of my shopping online in the comfort of my home and in my jammies! :D

Ouch this is the main reason on Black Friday why I do most of my shopping online in the comfort of my home and in my jammies! :D

Well, I went online and they didn't even have the coats on the site....at any price! How can Old Navy advertise something on TV, in print, and with signs in the store window and not have it? That's false advertisement isn't it?

Yea I'd definitely write a letter to them about it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter