My journey.....so far

Oh gosh I have had a startle twice with dogs and it makes me so angry when people in my subdivision let their dogs roam. Thankfullly each time I've had an encounter with them, their owner was outside too. But other than scareing the begeezus out of me, no harm was done.

This morning's run was tough. I don't know why, but I couldn't get going at a decent pace. DW stayed hot on my heals, but maybe that's because I ran about 4 minutes slower than I usually do. Maybe it was the fact that is was 36 this morning. Who knows. Either way, I ran for a second straight day without music. It was peaceful actually. I worked on my sermon for tonight again. It's funny. Since I'm a youth pastor, my messages are usually pretty short (15-20 minutes), but it seems like my brain works so much slower while I'm running. It took me the entire 30 minutes running this morning to go through my message and I still wasn't quite done when I finished. lol.

I hope people don't get offended or mind me posting this here, but I thought runners could use this as inspiration and whether or not you believe in God or anything, I think there's still a lesson here.

My message last night for my youth group was Life is a Marathon. I'm briefly summarizing it. There's going to be times in life where there are obstacles, times where you're ready to throw in the towel or times where you just want a break. I likened it to running because that's something I know. There's time in a race or training when it's easier to just say "the heck with it" and quit or take a walk break when you're on pace for a PR, but we have to push through in those times. We have to hold on a little longer and be stronger because our second wind (I used God's guidance as an example) could be around that next turn.

Running a marathon takes planning and strategizing. You don't just wake up and go run a marathon without training, nutrition, hydration, etc... Some elite world class athletes can't even do marathons. Only 1% of all people will ever complete a marathon. That's a ridiculously low number when you think of all the great athletes in the world. 1%!

As runners, we often set goals for ourselves. Personally, I'm a set the bar really high person. My first race, I set a time goal of 24:00 that was :34 better than my PR which was almost a minute faster than the second best time I had EVER run. I set a finishing goal of top 3 in my age and top 50 overall. I only achieved one of those 3 goals (finishing in the top 50), but I was 4th out of my age group (soooo very close) and finished the race in 24:49 (not too far off my goal time either).

Sure, I failed to hit 2/3 goals I set, but I knew I gave it everything I had and really had done well. I was pleased with the results. At the end of our marathon life, we have to make sure we're pleased with the results. We need to know that we've given everything we had and not given up 1/2 way through the race. Be satisfied with the end results. It's a long journey so pace yourself, refuel (God's Word was the example I used) and enjoy the journey!

Great Message! I hope the kids got alot out of it last night!

Now that you are a conditioned runner, how often do you run a week? Do you still utilize rest days? (I'm just curious)

The gameplan is currently running 5k on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and then doing a longer run on Saturday. This Saturday, I probably won't be able to run very far since we've got the school's Fall Festival (mandantory for parent's to work at it) starting at 4, I'm getting my hair cut at 11:15, and somehow I'll probably have to come into the office for a few hours to catch up on some stuff. I may just do 5 or 6 miles this weekend.

Before I started doing the longer runs, I was actually doing a 5k 6 days a week.

I hope people don't get offended or mind me posting this here, but I thought runners could use this as inspiration and whether or not you believe in God or anything, I think there's still a lesson here.

My message last night for my youth group was Life is a Marathon. I'm briefly summarizing it. There's going to be times in life where there are obstacles, times where you're ready to throw in the towel or times where you just want a break. I likened it to running because that's something I know. There's time in a race or training when it's easier to just say "the heck with it" and quit or take a walk break when you're on pace for a PR, but we have to push through in those times. We have to hold on a little longer and be stronger because our second wind (I used God's guidance as an example) could be around that next turn.

Running a marathon takes planning and strategizing. You don't just wake up and go run a marathon without training, nutrition, hydration, etc... Some elite world class athletes can't even do marathons. Only 1% of all people will ever complete a marathon. That's a ridiculously low number when you think of all the great athletes in the world. 1%!

As runners, we often set goals for ourselves. Personally, I'm a set the bar really high person. My first race, I set a time goal of 24:00 that was :34 better than my PR which was almost a minute faster than the second best time I had EVER run. I set a finishing goal of top 3 in my age and top 50 overall. I only achieved one of those 3 goals (finishing in the top 50), but I was 4th out of my age group (soooo very close) and finished the race in 24:49 (not too far off my goal time either).

Sure, I failed to hit 2/3 goals I set, but I knew I gave it everything I had and really had done well. I was pleased with the results. At the end of our marathon life, we have to make sure we're pleased with the results. We need to know that we've given everything we had and not given up 1/2 way through the race. Be satisfied with the end results. It's a long journey so pace yourself, refuel (God's Word was the example I used) and enjoy the journey!

Ooooh, I really like your message!

I can't even begin to comprehend all of the running that you do:worship:. I hope to be there one day!!!

Oh wow. Thats impressive. I tried doing my c25k two days in a row and I could not do it. My legs felt like lead! I guess after I build some endurance and stamina maybe that will help.

Yesterday was my off-day for running, but due to a lot going on at work, I had to skip running again this morning to come into the office at 6am. Since I'm doing another long run tomorrow, my legs appreciate the break; however I'm a little grumpy today. Maybe it's the fact that I've already put in almost 55 hours this week (only worked 4 hours Monday due to a sick child!), but I think it's because I'm going through runner withdrawal! :lmao:

I'm getting a much needed hair cut tomorrow morning at 11:15 and my kid's school fall festival is tomorrow. DW and I have to set up for that tonight from 6-9pm and then work again tomorrow at it from 4-6pm (gotta' love a Charter school!), so the only time I can really run will be tomorrow before my hair cut.

I've got to be showering to head to town (what us folks that live in the country say) by around 10ish so I guess that means I'll have to be running no later than 8am if I'm going to go for 12 miles again.

DW said she may try to push it for another mile tomorrow. She said she'll just have to see how she feels. That's the first time she's even remotely entertained the notion of running more than 3.1 miles at one time. I'm excited for her!

Hope you guys can get those runs in tomorrow! And I don't blame you. I'd be grumpy too working all those hours!

I was able to knock out 12 miles this morning before my hair cut. I finished 5 minutes faster than last week. I finished this week in 1:50:01. I think I'm going to keep doing this distance for a few more weeks and then tack another mile or two onto my weekend distance. Am I crazy for thinking I might be able to skip the 1/2 marathon on go straight for the full in March? Should I just do the 1/2 first for experience? I was tired but if I had time, I could have done another 3 mile loop today. I don't want to overdo it, but I'm also very ambitious. That's what keeps me going. It's a sickness! Lol

Normally,I would say you should do a half first. But, in your case, yes, you might be able to just do the full. I don't know how long you have until you need to register, but you could just start upping the miles and see how it goes. The key though is to take it slow with your increases so you don't injure yourself. I think the rule of thumb is like 10% per week or something like that. I usually increase more than that, but I also hurt myself a lot.:laughing: I am training for my first ultra marathon, and everything I read says you shouldn't do it until you have 3 or 4 marathons under your belt. I have only done 1, but it was the Goofy Challenge, so I feel like I've kind of already done an ultra. That was another thing, everyone told me not to do Goofy without having finished a marathon. I did just fine and finished with a great time in the half and a somewhat decent time in the full. So, it's an individual thing. Amp it up and see how you're feeling.

Normally,I would say you should do a half first. But, in your case, yes, you might be able to just do the full. I don't know how long you have until you need to register, but you could just start upping the miles and see how it goes. The key though is to take it slow with your increases so you don't injure yourself. I think the rule of thumb is like 10% per week or something like that. I usually increase more than that, but I also hurt myself a lot.:laughing: I am training for my first ultra marathon, and everything I read says you shouldn't do it until you have 3 or 4 marathons under your belt. I have only done 1, but it was the Goofy Challenge, so I feel like I've kind of already done an ultra. That was another thing, everyone told me not to do Goofy without having finished a marathon. I did just fine and finished with a great time in the half and a somewhat decent time in the full. So, it's an individual thing. Amp it up and see how you're feeling.

Since I've done the 12 miles relatively easy, I think I'll add 1 mile every 2 weeks. That would be actually a little less than the 10% increase. Of course, I made the jump from 3.1 miles to 12 miles without gradually working up, but I know that's risky.

My race isn't until March so I've still got plenty of time. Where do you think I should be distance wise by January? I know by the calendar, if I don't hit any setbacks, I should be at 16 miles at the end of the year.

I was able to knock out 12 miles this morning before my hair cut. I finished 5 minutes faster than last week. I finished this week in 1:50:01. I think I'm going to keep doing this distance for a few more weeks and then tack another mile or two onto my weekend distance. Am I crazy for thinking I might be able to skip the 1/2 marathon on go straight for the full in March? Should I just do the 1/2 first for experience? I was tired but if I had time, I could have done another 3 mile loop today. I don't want to overdo it, but I'm also very ambitious. That's what keeps me going. It's a sickness! Lol

Very impressive!! I was watching all the NY marathon coverage last night (we're big Mark Messier fans) and I just can't imagine running that long. What do you think about while this is going on?

Keep up the good work!!

Very impressive!! I was watching all the NY marathon coverage last night (we're big Mark Messier fans) and I just can't imagine running that long. What do you think about while this is going on?

Keep up the good work!!

I have music playing on my iPod most of the time. I honestly get into a zone most of the time though and don't really even hear the music or think about a lot. I just keep going. I actually almost ran into someone because I was so focused on running I didn't even see them.

Some of the time, I work on my next message for Wednesday night. I pray alot. I also just enjoy the scenery. There's usually a few people out on the streets when I do my Saturday runs so I wave at everyone.

I had this old man who apparently has seen me running out there alot ask me, "How many miles you gonna' do today?". I told him hopefully 12. He just shook his head and said, "Oooooooo Weeee!". lol.

I did come up with a mantra the other day though. Actually I have a few. For my long distance runs, I say Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

For my short races, I use the mantra (stolen from Peter Pan), "You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!"

I wish I could say I enjoyed my non-running day yesterday, but I still got up early and was at the office at 5am. I left last night around 10pm so it was a really loooong day! I wanted nothing more than to stay in the bed this morning and skip running, but I pushed through...darn motivation! :mad:

Today was the last day I'll run with my New Balance Zips. I just can't do it anymore. It was all I could do to finish my 5k this morning with those shoes. How can I run 12 miles at a faster pace per mile than the 5k I did this morning? Maybe it's all in my head, but those shoes are seriously like lead on my feet.

Maybe my Sauconys will hold up for another month and I'll get some new ones. I'm sure they will. I ran w/o an iPod again. I'm really enjoying the quiet and peacefullness of the morning. I don't think I could go completely without music for one of my longer runs, but these short morning runs are tailor made for it.

Sorry about those shoes but you know, you may be onto something. I also have a pair of New Balance shoes and they do feel "heavy" to me as well. I just bought myself another pair of Asics and I ADORE those. So far I have had no problems running in them at all. Hopefully you can get a new pair soon.

And great job pushing thru this morning! Sleep would have been a vile temptress for me as well.

It was my scheduled day to run today, but I took it off. I've been working like crazy this week. I've already gotten 55 hours this week not to mention the 3 hours I put in at the church this week so I slept an extra 45 minutes. Honestly, I think I would have been just as good to have gotten in the extra 3.1 miles this morning, but oh well. What's done is done.

I'm going to extend this weekend's long run by 1 mile and do 13. Heck, I'll probably go 13.1 so I can get a true 1/2 marathon time. I normally do my long runs on Saturday, but this week, I'll have to go on Sunday. This will be different since my long Saturday runs are in the morning. I have a light breakfast (usually some type of energy bar) and then I hit the road about an hour later.

Sunday's run will be in the mid-afternoon so I would have already had breakfast, church, and then lunch. Might be a good thing....might be a bad thing. We'll see. Either way, 13 miles is my goal.

I'm so proud of DD10. She's the reason I can't do my long run tomorrow. She had to do a project for 4-H and was selected to compete in the regional competition to do the oral presentation of her project. I honestly thought 4-H was livestock and stuff like that so I'm not sure exactly how this has anything to do with 4-H, but I'm proud of her none-the-less. Since her daddy is a salesman, does tons of public speeking, and preaches every Wednesday night, I"ve been her coach this week teaching her all I know! lol.

I think DW might try to go more than 3.1 miles this weekend too!. She was going to do it last weekend, but didn't get up in time to go run before our day started (we run the same course, but separately since I run the loop 4 times-she runs it once) and didn't run at all. I gave her tons of crap for it too! :rotfl:

My BIL is having his annual pig roast Saturday night so that'll be lots of good eats.

All in all, I hope it's a successful weekend for DD, DW, and myself. I know it'll be a busy one, but we've come to expect that anymore.

Sounds like a fantastic plan for the weekend! Best of luck to your dd at her 4H event!

Well, this weekend blew by so fast. DD was totally robbed at her 4-H competition. Really should have placed, but didn't. She was a good sport about it, but we spent the whole day at that. It was a lot of sitting around waiting.

The Pig Roast was fun, but DW and I both commented on how this year we weren't just salivating waiting to eat. Guess your priorities shift when you know just how much you've got to run to burn it off! lol

I did my long run yesterday after church in my mom's neighborhood. Since my brother and I have both been working alot lately, we've been missing our Sunday lunches together as a family so my mom wanted everyone to come over to her house and eat and visit. I decided I'd do my run there since it's a nice neighborhood. I marked off a 5.6 mile loop and had a few mile markers so I could get the extra distance of rmy target goal of 13 miles.

It was pretty hot yesterday compared to the weather the past few weekends when I did my long runs. I also didn't realize just how many hills there were in their neighborhood. My legs were getting pretty heavy and somehow I got some gravel in both shoes. I stopped to get the gravel out around mile 9 and the 2 minutes it took me to sit down and do that was enough to cause me to realize just how heavy my legs were.

I took an extra long walk break trying to recharge, but I was already gassed by then. I only was able to do 11.2 miles yesterday and it took me 1:58:02 so I was a little disappointed with the results. We're camping next weekend with friends at church so my long run is in jeopardy for next weekend. Guess I need to hurry up and recover so I can get my normal weekday runs in at least.

Sorry the run didn't go exactly has planned but I guess in some ways it is good to change things up a bit. I bet you weren't bored with the scenery at least!

And sorry to hear about your dd not placing. Sounds like she does have a positive outlook about it at least!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter