My husband's journey with brain cancer...update

Lisa.. it is so difficult to be in the midst of this battle with our loved ones.. Please know that I am thinking of you and will offer prayers for you both..

Not to change the tone of my post, but this week I wrote a letter to both senators of my state to talk about healthcare reform. It was when the insurance company refused to cover a drug for my husband, and I was wild. I wrote to the local newspaper too asking if they would like to do an article about healthcare and how it affects the patients who are fighting terminal cancer.. Anyway, I felt I had to say something to someone as I am that concerned..

It upsets me that they will not take him into the hospice setting.. Can you appeal the decision? Also, have you ever thought of being part of a caregivers' group... I am and it is my lifeline to information, new treatments etc. etc. We know when there is nothing else left to do, but you would benefit from the comfort that others will give you who have been in your place..

Please pm if you would like information on this...

Take care of yourself, it is important that you stay healthy..
Marsha

:hug: Lisa, I am sending you my thoughts and prayers. That is why I actually went and found the thread and asked if anyone had heard from you. God just put it on my heart to pray for you and Ben. I can't imagine what you are going through. I know my dh felt so helpless too when I was so sick etc. You are a wonderful caregiver and Ben is so blessed to have you. I pray for Gods oeace,comfort and strength for you and Ben in the days ahead. Blessings to you both.

Know my heartfelt prayers continue for your dear Ben and for you Lisa. It is not selfish to want those we love to stay with us unfortunatly it's just not possible.

Peace be with you.
Colleen

Just been thinking of you. Sending prayers for your family.

You and your DH are in my prayers. I hope you are able to have some bright spots every day to share in the time you have with each other.

Hello Everyone,

My dear husband has taken a devistating turn. He is fighting for his life on a ventilator while fighting uroseptic shock from a blood infection. Sadly, they always say it is not the cancer that is their demise but an infection. We have fought so hard to keep him safe, sterile etc. but the catheter seemed to has spread the infection. They are observing him for the next 24-48 hours and if nothing improves we will have to make the decision to turn off life support.

If you have a moment, please say a prayer for him. We have been with Hospice since May and yesterday I watched my husband struggle for air and a heartbeat that was up to 155 beats per minute. Although we had a DNR in place, we decided to revoke it to treat the infection. Perhaps not everyone will agree with my choice but he has fought so hard and sadly we had never had this conversation of "what if". I went on my gut and how well I know my husband's wishes. It is so tragic for him at 40. I am trying so hard to hold it together.

Please make sure you have this discussion with your loved ones and be prepared. Life changes in an instant~live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment.

Lisa

:littleangel: (we need all the angels we can get):littleangel::littleangel::littleangel::littleangel:

You are in my heart and thoughts tonight. I don't believe there are wrong choices in this situation. You've made the one that brought you peace and that makes it the absolutely right choice for you. I hope you'll find peace and strength in the days to come. I will keep you both in my prayers.:hug:

Praying for your husband's situation and that the doctor's will know the perfect thing to do.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband :hug: :hug:

:hug: Lisa, sending prayers for Ben for Gods peace and comfort for you both. Blessings to you always.

Lisa, my prayers continue for Ben, you & your family. I was in your position with the DNR - you did the right thing & please don't second guess your decision. Your love for your husband will guide you & the choices you have to make. God Bless you & your family. :grouphug:

Praying for you and your husband for strength and peace. Also for the doctors for wisdom and patience.

You have been a strong woman in the face of caring for your loved one in an end of life journey. It is never easy, it is so very painful. You are doing all the right things and there is no one in his life who could have done it better.

About "right decisions". What is most important is that you made the decision based on what you knew at the time you made it. For that instant, that is what you knew and what you had to do. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, you are the one living it, you are the closest friend of your husband, the one he chose to make these kinds of decisions for him and for you. I know this from my heart because my mother passed from a GBM brain tumor and my father and I also made decisions that others may have questioned. It will never be important to look back and second guess, no matter what happens.

:hug:

Lisa,

My prayers are with you and Ben. cancer is such a horrible disease that affects everyone. I lost my mom to cancer at 29 (after 3 years of being told she can pass away anyday), my little brother was only 15 (my stepfather divorced her when she got sick), and my son was 11. I took care of my mom through hospice for the whole time and I know devastating this can be for everyone. I just want you to know you are not alone. Sometimes as a caretaker you feel you have all the weight on your shoulders and you don't want to upset, or stress out family, friends, with bad news or how you feel. So if you ever want to vent, talk, please know we are here for you, or you can always PM me :grouphug::grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter