My 14 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma and I need help

Mskanga

<font color=navy>Can speak and read 4 languages fl
I am in the hospital right now still with her. She is getting a port put in tomorrow for her chemo treatment and I would like to start getting ready for when she loses her hair.
Can anyone direct me where I would be able to find a good wig for her ? I am so overwhealmed by this that my head is spinning in 1000 different directions. Thank you in advance.

First of all, I want to say that all of my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :grouphug: I wanted to give you a bit of advice... I think you should contact the Locks of Love organization. This organization accepts donations of hair from people and makes wigs for children (by children, meaning the wigs only go to kids up to the age of 18). I donated 12 inches of my hair to this foundation in December and I am in the process of growing it out to donate again.

I am praying for the best for you, your daughter, and your family.

My prayers are with you.

I used to be a hair stylist and the one thing I can recomend is that you stay away from the hair replacement places because they mark the wigs up so high, you can usually get them wholesale for hundreads less.

The trick is getting a thin base so it is comfortable and not hot for your daughter and getting someone to cut it correctly. If you know a good hairstylist that can cut it, it will help make it look more natural.

Good Luck and keep positive.

I would contact your health insurance provider as sometimes they will cover in full, however, with a preferred vendor only.

Best wishes for your daughter's speedy recovery!

OMG Kanga....I am so sorry. We are here to help you with whatever you need, prayers, hugs or just to listen when you need to vent. Someone recommended locks of love, I would start there and as Carol said contact your insurance company to see if they will help you with that expense, I would do that also.

I am glad they are putting in the port, it makes it much easier to administer the chemo than trying to find a vein each time.....Will she have a meter on as well to administer the chemo or will she go once a week? When Tom had his port and chemo it was administered by meter 5 days a week, 24 hours a day, with weekends off......He did ok.... please know that I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers and keep us updated.. please.

Hugs!!!!!!

help - i've tried to post - keep getting;
Could not find phrase 'error_postcount_too_low_post_links'.

:grouphug: First of all I am so sorry, I can only imagine what you and your family must be goibg through :sad1:

Try locks for love, many of my friends grow their hair out and donate every couple of years. It's real human hair made into a wig so it looks and feels natural :)

i'll try breaking this up into a couple of posts.
sorry you have to deal with this. a few notes from experience with my 15 year old - your daughter may not want to wear a wig - they can be hot and itchy - there are lots of other choices - bandana's, (anyone that can sew could whip up a bunch of different colored scarves), baseballs cap's with ponytails already sewn in, etc. around home, in the car, or at the hospital my girl went smooth ;-) lots of info on the internet.

OMG Kanga....I am so sorry. We are here to help you with whatever you need, prayers, hugs or just to listen when you need to vent. Someone recommended locks of love, I would start there and as Carol said contact your insurance company to see if they will help you with that expense, I would do that also.

I am glad they are putting in the port, it makes it much easier to administer the chemo than trying to find a vein each time.....Will she have a meter on as well to administer the chemo or will she go once a week? When Tom had his port and chemo it was administered by meter 5 days a week, 24 hours a day, with weekends off......He did ok.... please know that I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers and keep us updated.. please.

Hugs!!!!!!

Marsha we are at a stand still point right now waiting for the results from the mayo clinic , part of her biopsy came back that is not consistent with osteosarcoma but it could be a benign tumor called chondroblastoma. We are waiting to get the results sometime today because the samples were sent to them for further analisys.
I am hoping and praying that this is the case but we have to wait more......the wait is killing us !
Stay tunned , we should know something by tomorrow.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear this news. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers.

I do hope it is benign.......and that it is not what they originally thought. Keep us in the loop on this Kanga and know that we are thinking of you. It is so hard when it is your children, hard enough when it is your husband. I have done it both ways actually as one of my daughters had thyroid cancer, that was over 10 years ago and she is doing well, no thyroid and will take medication for the rest of her life, but she is well.

Hugs to you, keep your chin up and gear up to do battle if you have to. Hopefully, you will not have to, wouldn't that just be terrific??

Olga I have just read this and I'm stunned. I know that Simon will be too. I lost DH and Simon and Rebecca's dad to cancer almost 1 year ago, so we know how you must be feeling. Keep strong, and let's hope that the news is positive.
Carolyn

Marsha we still don't have the results back from the mayo clinic , the doctors are also waiting on those to proceed with the proper treatment.
Now we may even have to wait until thursday.
Carolyn is nice to see you around here but I am so sorry about your husband , please hug Rebecca and Simon from me too . BTW my other child's name is Rebecca too !
I am gearing for the worst , we just want to start with whatever treatment she needs and out this all behind us as quick as possible.

no advice or suggestions, just prayers and well wishes.

Olga thank you for the hugs for Simon and Tam. I'll give a real one to Bec, but Si now lives in Vancouver with the love of his life who is Canadian and who was a fellow CM at Epcot, so he will have to have a virtual one LOL.
I do so hope that things work out for you and your family. I did a quick search yesterday, and the prognosis did seem good in most cases, so I will keep thinking of you all, and hoping for a good outcome.

The diagnosis is final now and it is osteosarcoma , we are starting chemo on monday. The diagnosis came in today after the people at the mayo clinic compared the results with the x-rays and MRI's .
Now it's time to kick the beast out of the body for good.....she is one amazing kid and is giving me the strength.

is there a reason i can't post a link? trying to send listserv info for osteo to Msknaga.

anne

MsKanga - your precious daughter will be in my prayers.

Apres - I think you have to have 10 posts before you can post a link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter