Mobile ordering and DDP

revdon64

DIS Veteran
I know that you can't use the dining plan for mobile ordering yet. Any word on if/when that might become a reality? Just thinking it'd be nice to have as an option on our January trip.

I asked this question here somewhere (rumours board I think) and no word.

I have a trip in April: I have two small kids and it would be so convenient I've put off adding the dining plan while I consider it!

I know that you can't use the dining plan for mobile ordering yet. Any word on if/when that might become a reality? Just thinking it'd be nice to have as an option on our January trip.

There hasn't even been a whisper of this becoming reality.

My question is why not? Your meals are there just like a credit card for payment already, so why can't the system "see" them? HMMM... perhaps the system has no way to differentiate. If you're on DDP and you have charging privileges tied to your MDE, how would the mobile ordering know which one to charge? What if you didn't want to use your credits (cheap meal) and were paying OOP? Surely there's a way to add a "how do you want to pay" line in the ordering menu, but maybe that is the problem.

I kind of get the sense that they're quietly working on it and it will just suddenly show up. at least that's what I'm hoping. :D

There hasn't even been a whisper of this becoming reality.

My question is why not? Your meals are there just like a credit card for payment already, so why can't the system "see" them? HMMM... perhaps the system has no way to differentiate. If you're on DDP and you have charging privileges tied to your MDE, how would the mobile ordering know which one to charge? What if you didn't want to use your credits (cheap meal) and were paying OOP? Surely there's a way to add a "how do you want to pay" line in the ordering menu, but maybe that is the problem.
Mobile ordering doesn’t room charge it charges directly to the card.

Mobile ordering doesn’t room charge it charges directly to the card.

Yes, I know that, but you can also charge other things to the room using your MB, and it is the card you have on file with MDE that is charged when using mobile ordering. It still may be that there's no way to tell the system how you want to pay...CC or DDP. If you had the DDP, would it default to that? I'm just guessing that there's something in the software for mobile ordering that only allows for one form of payment, and CC is more inclusive than DDP, so Disney went that route.

Last edited:

No word.

And selfishly, I hope they never add the ability to use DDP on it. Keep it restricted so it actually stays a time saver.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Why would it no longer be a time saver if DDP users could use it too? Just increased volume?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Why would it no longer be a time saver if DDP users could use it too? Just increased volume?
Yes, it would increase the pool of people who could use it. Even if only a percentage of those people end up trying it, it would still have an impact on the overall number of people using the service. Right now a small number of people use it so the restaurants are able to stay ahead of the curve easily, making sure that the food is ready quickly.

Yes, it would increase the pool of people who could use it. Even if only a percentage of those people end up trying it, it would still have an impact on the overall number of people using the service. Right now a small number of people use it so the restaurants are able to stay ahead of the curve easily, making sure that the food is ready quickly.
But the people who are ordering are there to eat anyway aren't they? Hence the food still has to be prepared...

True, but it would also decrease the number of people doing walk-in orders making it something more akin to a zero-sum equation.

But the people who are ordering are there to eat anyway aren't they? Hence the food still has to be prepared...

True, but it would also decrease the number of people doing walk-in orders making it something more akin to a zero-sum equation.

The whole idea is to get your food quickly. The more people who use it, the longer it will take. Even if it decreases the walk-in orders, you'll then be waiting in line to pick up instead of waiting in line to order.

The whole idea is to get your food quickly. The more people who use it, the longer it will take. Even if it decreases the walk-in orders, you'll then be waiting in line to pick up instead of waiting in line to order.
The benefit is rather than take your order at the counter and you wait, they take your order virtually and you "wait" (while your aren't in line). You still have the same wait for food prep as before, you just don't have to wait in line.

The benefit is rather than take your order at the counter and you wait, they take your order virtually and you "wait" (while your aren't in line). You still have the same wait for food prep as before, you just don't have to wait in line.

It's the waiting in line to even make your order that takes so long. With mobile ordering, you don't have to wait in that line and then wait again to get your food. You only have to wait for the food to be ready.

I am really looking forward to them adding the Dining Plan to mobile ordering. My fiance and I love the Dining Plan, we plan it so we usually get a great value, and mobile ordering is just another convenience that would keep us on it. I do think it is inevitable, its just a matter of when. Disney wants everyone to get the Dining Plan (they make a lot of money on it for the most part) and excluding those who do get it from this convenience isn't going to help sell it to people.

It's the waiting in line to even make your order that takes so long. With mobile ordering, you don't have to wait in that line and then wait again to get your food. You only have to wait for the food to be ready.

Today they were making the mobile order folks wait in line with everyone else TOTALLY NEGATING the entire point of it. GRRRRR...

BlogMickey.com‏ @Blog_Mickey
Told that we'd have to wait in a line to enter Pecos Bill's for both mobile order and regular. Not much of a convenience at that rate, @WDWToday #LiveFromWDW

DPA5-1vW0AA3AC_.jpg

DPA5-1qWAAYAW7-.jpg

DPA5-1wW0AAjBMg.jpg

We used Mobile Order at Pecos last night (Sunday) and we did not have to wait to enter and the pickup was really fast. Maybe when he went in the afternoon the restaurant itself was much busier?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter