Couldn’t edit my post so had to post again. We entered the plaza gardens about 8:30 or so because I saw that many people were starting to head in and the better viewing spots along the railings were being taken already
There is still a decent amount of room in the garden and if people weren’t sprawled put there would be even more

Can you tell us about the new menu items?
When we go to eat I can. They showed us where the food was when we checked in but we gave the after party so couldn’t sample anything yet.

Honestly with this whole before and after thing I feel like it is going to diminish the value of the party. If you have to get to the garden super early for a prime spot then you aren’t really doing anything different than the people outside of the Garden (just more room to do it)

So you were let in before the people from the first party? Or were you held back by the restaurant and able to go over at the same time they could have started going over?
Allowed to enter the garden once you checked in and got your wristband are 8:15

OK - let's start a campaign for rooftop viewing. Finish off the roof. Put in some stairs. Open it to the dessert party people. Put a nice railing up there to make it safe. How great of a view would that be?

BTW, FWIW, my mom was there last night and asked a manager about this whole thing and she said "we have room to double the number of the people in the plaza, so it's all going to be fine". Ugh.

I'm thinking the only advantage to either of the parties now will be when it's super crowded, like on a holiday week, when it's wall-to-wall, can't move, on the verge of reaching capacity. Otherwise, I can't see the point, because while the food is okay, it's not like knock-out the best thing you've ever had. And you could go to the sweet shop and for $25 or so per person, you could load up with your own personalized dessert party and just go grab the rail in the left plaza about an hour early for the exact same experience a lot cheaper.

So I’m here at the after party tonight. Booked it last minute today. Both parties sharing the same Garden. Check in time is 8:15 for after party and people headed right into the Garden. Same menu for both parties. It’s 8:45 now and the garden is starting to fill up. Not mobbed but the front half is full. Neither party was sold out when I booked this afternoon.

Bummed to hear that they are sharing the same garden. Wonder if there is any possibility with them using the second garden once both parties are fully booked. Also, are people grabbing the railing spots in the back or are they all focused on the front?

OK - let's start a campaign for rooftop viewing. Finish off the roof. Put in some stairs. Open it to the dessert party people. Put a nice railing up there to make it safe. How great of a view would that be?

BTW, FWIW, my mom was there last night and asked a manager about this whole thing and she said "we have room to double the number of the people in the plaza, so it's all going to be fine". Ugh.

I'm thinking the only advantage to either of the parties now will be when it's super crowded, like on a holiday week, when it's wall-to-wall, can't move, on the verge of reaching capacity. Otherwise, I can't see the point, because while the food is okay, it's not like knock-out the best thing you've ever had. And you could go to the sweet shop and for $25 or so per person, you could load up with your own personalized dessert party and just go grab the rail in the left plaza about an hour early for the exact same experience a lot cheaper.
Sorry if this has been answered but what time did the Before party start tonight? If it was 7:45 then that’s only 30 minutes to eat and dash to the garden before the after partyers are in the garden space too?

I’ll sign your petition!I was just thinking about a rooftop viewing area the other day. I was wondering where th extra Cl fp viewing area would be if the parties used both v
Garden viewing areas. I would love it!

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered but what time did the Before party start tonight? If it was 7:45 then that’s only 30 minutes to eat and dash to the garden before the after partyers are in the garden space too?

Today is when the pre-party Plaza Garden version moved to a check-in 1.5 hours before fireworks. The after-party has a check-in 1 hour before fireworks. So what you describe is correct, if you assume all the after-party guests were to in fact show up at that check-in time.

Somewhat related, and different strokes for different folks of course, but if I book the after-party the last thing I’m doing is showing up an hour in advance and sitting on my thumbs in the garden. I’ll gladly show up 15-20 mins before fireworks and take whatever spot I can grab in the garden at that point (assuming we don’t see consistent reports of any over-crowding under this new arrangement). :-)

Last edited:
Today is when the pre-party Plaza Garden version moved to a check-in 1.5 hours before fireworks. The after-party has a check-in 1 hour before fireworks. So what you describe is correct, if you assume all the after-party guests were to in fact show up at that check-in time.

Somewhat related, and different strokes for different folks of course, but if I book the after-party the last thing I’m doing is showing up an hour in advance and sitting on my thumbs in the garden. I’ll gladly show up 15-20 mins before fireworks and take whatever spot I can grab in the garden at that point (assuming we don’t see consistent reports of any over-crowding under this new arrangement). :-)
I agree! I’m getting too old to sit for too long or stand for too long!! I can only sit for an hour max but only if it’s for free!!

So if I understand this right, the after fireworks party is only on certain nights. Is that correct? I booked the dessert party today and called to make sure I had booked the right thing after seeing a post about the changes. According to WDW dining, only one party setting was showing for 12/01/18. Does that sound right? I called to double check because we have a BOG reservation for 6:25 pm. I thought if a later party was occurring, it might be better.

So if I understand this right, the after fireworks party is only on certain nights. Is that correct? I booked the dessert party today and called to make sure I had booked the right thing after seeing a post about the changes. According to WDW dining, only one party setting was showing for 12/01/18. Does that sound right? I called to double check because we have a BOG reservation for 6:25 pm. I thought if a later party was occurring, it might be better.

No, all three versions of the MK dessert parties are offered nightly, aside from MNSSHP and MVMCP nights. My guess would be that dates/times for the After Party aren’t loaded in their system that far out yet. It’s pretty new and kinks in the booking process don’t seem to be ironed out yet.

I agree. Staking out a spot in the garden an hour early defeats the whole purpose.

We have the before party booked for the first time on June 14th and I have to say I’m disappointed they are in the same viewing area. Having to rush through some very expensive desserts just to try and get a decent spot in the garden doesn’t sit well with me.

**ok, so now that I got that out of my system, let’s talk worse case scenario. Is there truly a “bad” spot in there? If the garden all of a sudden has twice the amount of people, are we back to feeling like we are in the hub or isn’t it that bad? Just trying to get a feel for the space. We did the hub a few years ago and I really don’t want to deal with that feeling in the garden that I’m paying a lot of money for.

Last edited:
I feel like to get your money's worth if you are the before party you check in relax and go over 15 min early and for the after party you go on rides while people are camping out spots and head over 15 min before. No other way would this be a Time saver. And I plan on doing the first option.

If someone wants to get into the garden an hour before the show then they are wasting time and money.

No, all three versions of the MK dessert parties are offered nightly, aside from MNSSHP and MVMCP nights. My guess would be that dates/times for the After Party aren’t loaded in their system that far out yet. It’s pretty new and kinks in the booking process don’t seem to be ironed out yet.

Thanks. So would the later time be better since we have a 6:25 adr for BOG? I’ve never had dinner there or done any of the dessert parties at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter