Mission Space + claustrophobic?

If you have time, maybe instead take a day to visit the Kennedy Space Center, for some outer space-related exhibits and movies without having to get into a small enclosure?

Worst experience I ever had at Disney World. Thought I could handle it. Absolutely not!!!!! The doors closed and the screen came toward me and I freaked out like possessed little toddler. Thank God they opened it up because if that ride would have started I would have passed out.

For some reason, as I get older (i'm 34 now), i've been experiencing some minor claustrophobia in certain situations - it's not often, but i'm not a big fan of crowded elevators, or jammed spaces with tons of people - open spaces with tons of people i'm ok with - but a tight hallway i'm not a big fan of (this happened at a couple of concerts recently). I'm ok and can get by, but even after having been on MS many times, I'm not real thrilled about going back on it anytime soon. I'd do it, but my biggest fear is that it stops and we have to sit there in the capsule for too long waiting for the ride to start. I'm ok with it during the ride and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a panic attack or anything but I worry about what might happen if I did have to sit there any longer than the ride's duration. I've heard that it's happened before which really makes me hesitant to do it again. Same thing with R&RC - I don't like that short delay before we can get out of the limo and you're sitting there with the harness on. I do love both rides though.

It is tight, but you never know how it will affect each individual. What I would do is tell the CM you are worried about it and make sure you are in position to be seated on one of the ends. When the CM comes to close the capsule, the consoles move in close first then the door shuts. Just make sure that they know and they should be able to let you off if you find it to be too closed in. I know that's a risk, but I think if you ask the CM to help you make sure, they will do that. I have been in capsules who called for a CM after the console moves in and they were let off with no problem. Of course, once it starts, you are in for the duration, so just be aware of that. Good luck.

I was talking to one of my friends tonight about Mission Space. She has been to WDW many, many times and said that Mission Space makes her feel claustrophobic. I am claustrophobic so this has me very worried now. Any advice or feedback? Btw, I plan on doing the easier version (green).

I would pass. I'm not claustrophobic at all and found the space to be very, very cramped and not comfortable at all.

On the green side, this experience consists of sitting in a small enclosed space with a restraint over you, with three other people (some of whom will be strangers if you don't show up as a party of four), watching a movie, and pushing buttons when told to do so. There is also some relatively tame simulated motion.

Only you can decide if this sounds like it would be fun for you.

There are some space centers around the country that occasionally offer simulated space missions where you can experience the movies and button-pushing, but without the restraints and small enclosures (or the actual motion). For the claustrophobic, this would probably be more enjoyable.

For some reason, as I get older (i'm 34 now), i've been experiencing some minor claustrophobia in certain situations - it's not often, but i'm not a big fan of crowded elevators, or jammed spaces with tons of people - open spaces with tons of people i'm ok with - but a tight hallway i'm not a big fan of (this happened at a couple of concerts recently). I'm ok and can get by, but even after having been on MS many times, I'm not real thrilled about going back on it anytime soon. I'd do it, but my biggest fear is that it stops and we have to sit there in the capsule for too long waiting for the ride to start. I'm ok with it during the ride and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a panic attack or anything but I worry about what might happen if I did have to sit there any longer than the ride's duration. I've heard that it's happened before which really makes me hesitant to do it again. Same thing with R&RC - I don't like that short delay before we can get out of the limo and you're sitting there with the harness on. I do love both rides though.

And totally this! I used to have no problems...but the older I get it is like a switch went off. I'm 46 now and just can't tolerate confined spaces, especially if there is a wait with nothing to distract me. I used to ride MS with no problems. I do still ride RnR, but I prep myself for that delay at the end and find something to count or start talking with my fellow passenger to distract myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter