• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

mishap on the way home

korzmom

<font color=deeppink>Special DIS Cast Member<br><f
well we just got home from a wonderful stay at fw, bought a tire cover in the campstore and everything,but on the way home we had a freak accident and lost control of our suburban and travel trailer and turned over our beautiful 2001 citation camper:( .we are all ok, but the camper is a total crunch, things came apart at the seams and the suburban has some damage from our own camper...now the waiting begins to see if our insurance will take care of everthing...the only thing that stinks is that all the contents of the camper has to be claimed under home owners insurance....what a pain. 3 claims going on right now, home owners, camper and suburban.....the worst thing about all this is that we might never stay at fw again, because my dh is sceptical about pulling a camper that far again.....:( ...well now i'm totally bumbed out again, i thought i was getting over it! good luck to all you campers out there, i hope something like that will not happen again.

I'm so sorry this happened. Glad everyone is ok and good luck with all the insurance stuff.
Lisa

Soory to hear about the accident but since no one was hurt you lucked out. Campers can be replaced. People can't remember. You'll get thru the insurance claims and I'm certain you'll get another rig.

So glad no one was injured, camping is such a fun way to travel, if you do and I hope you do get a new trailer consider the Hensley Arrow hitch, i have one and it makes such a difference in towing and safety, www.nosway.com ,

So glad to hear that you're all OK. I agree with the other posters- things can be replaced..............

Hope it all works out for you with the insurance. That is sometimes the most painful part :eek:

Oh my goodness!!! :eek: I'm glad to hear you are all ok, but I can only imagine how you must of felt going through that! :( I hope you get another camper! Maybe your husband would consider another style camper. I'm not talking pop up....you should check out HiLos. They are regular full size trailers but they lower by a switch making it as low (or lower) than the tow vehicle. Less wind resistance and with a sway bar, we had no problem with swaying at all. In fact, it towed a bit "too easy"....once I glanced over at my husband who was driving and got a look at the speedometer. I quickly told him I didn't care how nice it towed.....75 was a bit too fast!! :eek:

thanks everyone, thats why i love the dis!!!!!

Oh my gosh, I'm sooo glad that you and your family are OK. I'm so sorry that this happened.

We also just got back too. What loop where you in? We stayed in the 900 loop.

we were in the 300 loop. i really didnt care for our site this time,it was too close to the one next to us and with a 35 ft camper with awning and slide a suburban and a golf cart we were very crowded....dh reserved a cabin for august, said he was ready to go back but not ready to tow....

You may be surprised with how nice your insurance company is to deal with. We got hit by a tree in our driveway last Fall and had $9,000 worth of damage (luckily we were hooked up and not on jacks, so it did a lot of bouncing..and it's all aluminum, so that helped). They patched us for the next two months so we could use it while waiting for the new back cap, roof, cabinets, etc. The insurance company couldn't have been nicer. Their keywords were "make it look new"..and our shop listened! It was very painfree, and got to spend the winter with tons of snow inside at the shop (we got so much snow that they weren't moving that baby til the Spring thaw!).

You are very lucky that it was only the trailer. I've talked with enough campers who have had problems (they are usually towing more than they can handle though, not just an accident like you had) to realize how much worse it could have been for you and your family. Our trailers are just things. I dont' blame your hubby..I'm sure being behind the wheel when something liked that happens is very scary and hard to get over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter