Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K - 2013

This will be both of our first 5k. I did couch to 5k and an now doing the bridge to 10k program. However, all of my running has been on the treadmill, so I'm a little nervous!

Treadmill vs. Pavement running is a bit different. Try to increase the incline to 2% or so to add a more realistic 'pull' by your leg muscles.

So excited!!!! Dd and I am doing this together. It got crazy as the race was sold out to find tour agencies that had opening from the Run Disney site. But we are registered just in time!

This will be both of our first 5k. I did couch to 5k and an now doing the bridge to 10k program. However, all of my running has been on the treadmill, so I'm a little nervous!

THere is a place for treadmills and I salute you for getting up and moving... I run a significant portion of my hill work and some speed work on a mill.

However, do yourself a favor and hit the road for you long runs. The 2% adder helps but you also need to experience the irregular surfaces of a road as well as start to acquire the ability to judge pace on the run.

Otherwise, trust your training and if you continue on the 10k training path, you will have more than enough cardio engine to get to the end in fine fashion.

My mom, who is in her 60's, is training for this. She is fighting the blood sugar creep of Type II diabetes. Exercise is one big way to fight the high sugar levels over time. We will be there to run/walk this together. I even talked her into being Daisy Duck to my Minnie. So we'll be there at the back of the pack, representing all those who use running to get healthy! Yay!!

This year's Jingle Jungle will be my first runDisney event and I can't wait!

I was hoping to avoid buses and drive over to AK...has anybody done this before?

I do want to get there early, but don't really see the point of getting on a bus at 5 AM when I have a car at my disposal!

I was hoping to avoid buses and drive over to AK...has anybody done this before?

I do want to get there early, but don't really see the point of getting on a bus at 5 AM when I have a car at my disposal!

90% of the time I rent a car and drive. Especially to the 5K. There isn't the huge rush of traffic like there can be for a half. You have to park in normal parking at AK, but it isn't far. Just be sure you get there be the appointed time, as they may cut off incoming vehicles due to the race starting.

I also like it, especially for a November 5K, because if I want to go get breakfast right afterward I can. Or I can drive back to the resort and freshen up if I happen to be dripping in natural shimmer and shine (my euphemism for sweat).

I do not think I have ever bussed to a 5k... I would still plan on traveling during the busing window to avoid any parking lot closings that may occur.

Has anyone ever used a taxi to get to the race? We are staying at AOA, which isn't a race hotel (although I know I could easily walk to the bus stop at pop).

Has anyone ever used a taxi to get to the race? We are staying at AOA, which isn't a race hotel (although I know I could easily walk to the bus stop at pop).

I have never used a taxi. Either Bus transportation or drive direct as we sometimes rent a car. I never had an issue with either for the 5k races. I am sure a taxi would be fine

A taxi would be ok, but I think I would walk to the Pop and use freebie transportation as well.

Well, we are slow but determined;) - and I am glad to hear there will be other walkers at the 5K. When I signed us up I did not realize there was a pace for WDW 5Ks. We were just looking for a goal to start training toward and DH had so much fun doing the Goofy in Jan and wanted to do the F&W 1/2, so he inspired us.
DGrD10 and I are mostly down to 15 mm on our walks - but we started at 22, so we are progressing. We have started to run a little (very little) (oh my aching, out-of-shape 60yo legs and arthritic knee LOL) and her plan is to run ahead of me to each character line and wait/recover while waiting for me. So this should be fun!:thumbsup2 - as long as they don't sweep us!
I think we are starting to enjoy this enough to look for another reason to continue our training - and that was my only real goal.:goodvibes

Well, we are slow but determined;) - and I am glad to hear there will be other walkers at the 5K. When I signed us up I did not realize there was a pace for WDW 5Ks. We were just looking for a goal to start training toward and DH had so much fun doing the Goofy in Jan and wanted to do the F&W 1/2, so he inspired us.
DGrD10 and I are mostly down to 15 mm on our walks - but we started at 22, so we are progressing. We have started to run a little (very little) (oh my aching, out-of-shape 60yo legs and arthritic knee LOL) and her plan is to run ahead of me to each character line and wait/recover while waiting for me. So this should be fun!:thumbsup2 - as long as they don't sweep us!
I think we are starting to enjoy this enough to look for another reason to continue our training - and that was my only real goal.:goodvibes

You're fine. While there is a minimum pace standard, the race is not swept unless the person just stops.

I must have been under a rock to have missed this but the All Star Sports food court is closed. They have grab and go items. Have any of you stayed there since the closure? What is available? I am not sure I want to haul food over from All Star Music all the time. We had planned to hit the food court Thursday and Friday night. I guess its better to know now than later....

I'll be seeing you all there! First ever 5K and first ever runDisney event! I haven't been on WDW property since 2004! This is gonna be SO EMOTIONAL for me.

It's been a long time since my College Program days...:yay:

You're fine. While there is a minimum pace standard, the race is not swept unless the person just stops.

Thanks for the reassurance, Coach - let's hope I don't just stop!:eek:;)
So far this week we are down below 15mm.:thumbsup2 Our goal is 14 (well secretly 12, but DH says don't push it. LOL)

Thanks for the reassurance, Coach - let's hope I don't just stop!:eek:;)
So far this week we are down below 15mm.:thumbsup2 Our goal is 14 (well secretly 12, but DH says don't push it. LOL)

you will be fine. It's a fun race. only one hill if I remember correctly

My DH and two boys (both doing XC right now) are running the race, but I am the "offical photographer" for the race, for our family:) This is our first time down in Disney when they have a race. Will I be able to go into AK when they are racing and cheer them on and take pics?

My DH and two boys (both doing XC right now) are running the race, but I am the "offical photographer" for the race, for our family:) This is our first time down in Disney when they have a race. Will I be able to go into AK when they are racing and cheer them on and take pics?

Short answer... No

Here is a map
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/296320115/

You can catch them starting then if you are fast, you can catch another shot on the opposite side of the parking lot. just before mile 1. The final location would be in the parking lot either at the point they leave the park at mile 3 or around the finish... though if you want one on the line, you need to wrestle a spot just after the start.

I am excited to be running my first 5k in November. I have been training using the couch to 5k and currently I'm at a 14 min pace with 4 weeks to go. Anyone know how much time to allow to pick up race packets? Would lunch time be easier to avoid the opening crowd?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter