Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K - 2013

GaRain

DIS Veteran
Is anyone planning to do the 5K during Food and Wine Half Marathon weekend this year?
I am seriously considering it, but would love to walk it with a group, rather than solo or just 1 friend.....

What are your plans?!

At the moment, I plan on walking this with my mom but if she backs out I'll probably run it. If you can't find anyone, I'll walk with ya.

I'm planning to Run/Walk it or run the whole thing but I'll be there. Trying to talk a few friends into it so we can make it family getaway for the weekend.

My DW will be running her second 5k. I am planning on spending the race with her. Based on her performance in her first 5k, we will be in the 50 minute range.

I will be doing it with my then 11yr old DD. Can not wait! She wants us to dress up as Candy Cane runners. :lovestruc

I so want to go do this. Going down and staying at the parks would really depend on if I still have a job thanks to sequestration....(grumble grumble grumble). Hubby (at that time anyway) wouldn't be able to go with (his school band does their town's Veteren's Day celebrations), but my mom sees me doing this race as a prefect excuse for visit F&W Festival again.

I just started training for a 5K and plan on doing a 5K Color Vibe run here in May. I'm training for an 18 min/mile right now, but am shooting for 15 min/mile for the Disney race.

Anyone have an idea how badly you have to be doing to get swept in the 5K? She definitely can't run it, but if they are really lenient on sweeping in the race, maybe I can convince her to do it with me at a slower pace of 20 min/mile.

Anyone have an idea how badly you have to be doing to get swept in the 5K? She definitely can't run it, but if they are really lenient on sweeping in the race, maybe I can convince her to do it with me at a slower pace of 20 min/mile.

I have never heard of anyone getting swept at a Disney 5k. I know a lot of people take it VERY slow, and have paces at around 20min a mile.

I plan on walking the whole thing. I want lots of pictures because I will NOT be able to take any during the half. My half pace is 14-15mm right now and I don't have the leeway to not get swept :sad2:

We're thinking of doing it. We'll be in WDW to celebrate my DD's Sweet 16 then anyway. My DD is a pretty good field hockey player (already getting interest from college coaches as a Freshman) & she will be just coming off her high school season, but still in full training mode for Nationals at the end of the month in West Palm Beach. Her 2 best friends will also be with us. One plays field hockey & the other is a competitive cheerleader. They're going to talk about it at school this week and then decide.
Question, will the other mom & I be able to walk it or are they pretty strict about running the course? I know she won't want to let the girls go on their own....

I will be walking it alone.
My family can't do it in the 15 minute per mile requirement.
WHat time should we get there? I see buses depart at 5:00am from the resorts. Do you think that is too early?

Question, will the other mom & I be able to walk it or are they pretty strict about running the course? I know she won't want to let the girls go on their own....

The rundisney site says that all of their races are walker-friendly. You just have to hit the pace time (I'm saying that wrong).

I might be wrong but aren't all the Disney 5ks family friendly with no pace requirements?

I might be wrong but aren't all the Disney 5ks family friendly with no pace requirements?

They have a pace requirement. They just don't enforce it as strictly as they do with longer events. If you lag too far behind they have a golf cart that will pick you up and deliver you a little further up the course, to help you get back up to pace time. They need to have the park cleared of 5K participants in order to ensure the park is ready for general opening to guests.

Running this with my husband! I'm so excited...this will be his first Disney race! :)

I did the 5K during Marathon Weekend in January and it took me 50 minutes. The bibs don't have timing tags and while there are clocks at the mile markers and at the finish line, there is no sweeper clock. You should be fine! :) Very relaxed and very walker-friendly.

Running this with my husband! I'm so excited...this will be his first Disney race! :)

I did the 5K during Marathon Weekend in January and it took me 50 minutes. The bibs don't have timing tags and while there are clocks at the mile markers and at the finish line, there is no sweeper clock. You should be fine! :) Very relaxed and very walker-friendly.

What is a sweeper clock? We do have to finish it in 49 minutes MAX!

What is a sweeper clock? We do have to finish it in 49 minutes MAX!

In the longer races they "sweep" runners off the course if they cannot keep the 16:00/mile pace...so the sweeper clock is the time you have to be under not to be swept. The sweeper clock starts when the very last runner crosses the starting line. Not really a concern for the 5K. :)

As for your other question about when to get there...I think I will be planning on getting on a bus at 5:30, 5:45...6 at the latest. I'd rather get there early than risk being late.

In the longer races they "sweep" runners off the course if they cannot keep the 16:00/mile pace...so the sweeper clock is the time you have to be under not to be swept. The sweeper clock starts when the very last runner crosses the starting line. Not really a concern for the 5K. :)

As for your other question about when to get there...I think I will be planning on getting on a bus at 5:30, 5:45...6 at the latest. I'd rather get there early than risk being late.

But the 5K is timed. We have to do 16 minute miles or we will be picked up. I am confused!
Also, I was told to leave no later then 5:30 from our resort??

My family of 4 did this race in 2012, it was SO MUCH FUN!!! They did not sweep anyone and people were coming in well after an hour. They have a lot of characters out and even animals so a lot of people stopped a lot! You can't really run that fast if you want to, esp at the beginning because there are so many people. You run a lap around the parking lot which was where it was most crowded. Once you get in the park it mostly thins out. The shirts and medals were awesome! I ran with my DS9 and he did great. I highly recommend it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter