Michigan ladies, I need your input...

MissMet

DIS Veteran
Hey guys. Headed to a wedding this weekend about 30 minutes northeast of Detroit, Michigan. It's a 1pm wedding, that I'm assuming, is an outdoor ceremony (gonna be around 80 degrees). What would you wear? I'm having a hard time figuring it out as, I'm from NY, so I'm used to everything being pretty formal. I can't get a good read on the wedding. I'm assuming I'm gonna see a mix of everything, clothing wise.

What would you wear?

Last edited:
When is the wedding? My first thought is a nice, flowy dress with a wrap of some kind in case it is windy.

Do you know if they have a tent of some kind?

When is the wedding? My first thought is a nice, flowy dress with a wrap of some kind in case it is windy.

Do you know if they have a tent of some kind?

This weekend. I don't have much information. The bride is really the only one I know at the wedding and needless to say she's been a little busy so I haven't had the nerve to ask her.

Is the reception right after the ceremony? I would google the name of the venue and see how formal it looks. I tend to error on the side of dressy if not sure. We just went to an outdoor wedding a few weeks ago though later in the day. We say everything from jeans to formal. Most we semi formal.

northeast could put you on or near water which could be 10-15º cooler- where exactly is it (city/town).

northeast could put you on or near water which could be 10-15º cooler- where exactly is it (city/town).

Yeah, that's partially why I asked. I'm also wondering about the area, because as you head up that way it's less likely IMO that it's going to be over the top formal and more likely an LBD, nice jewelry and wrap will be quite appropriate.

well I would say wear something with sleeves and bring a sweater. Our nights are cooling off nicely here. The weather has been beautiful!

I have a wedding outside in MI this weekend as well. I am having the same dilemma, its at a home, so it's hard to tell the vibe of it. We are a small community, so I'm hoping to do a little sundress and sweater. The evenings do get quite chilly once the sun starts setting. Have a great time!

Thanks everyone. The ceremony is at 1pm with reception immediately following. It's at Blossom Heath Inn in Saint Clair Shores. I'm pretty sure ceremony is outdoor, reception indoors. Although, the whole thing could be outside for all I know. To be honest, I'm kinda thrown off with the whole 1pm start time. Never been to a 1pm wedding. So would that mean cocktail hour at 2pm & "dinner" at 3ish??? I've never overthought a wedding so much in my life. lol

Thanks everyone. The ceremony is at 1pm with reception immediately following. It's at Blossom Heath Inn in Saint Clair Shores. I'm pretty sure ceremony is outdoor, reception indoors. Although, the whole thing could be outside for all I know. To be honest, I'm kinda thrown off with the whole 1pm start time. Never been to a 1pm wedding. So would that mean cocktail hour at 2pm & "dinner" at 3ish??? I've never overthought a wedding so much in my life. lol
Did the invitation indicate a meal would be served? I would assume light snacks and beverages---no full meal. Our wedding was at 2. Reception was a "tea" with beer, wine, tea, coffee and locally brewed rootbeer and buffest set up snacks like meatballs, shrimp, veggies, etc. ONE couple came expecting lunch and angry that it was so late---everyone else assumed that not being over a meal time meant to meal service (note: we had a ton of "snacks" which could easily be made into a meal if wanted/needed----had leftovers that night and my in laws had enough leftovers to be eating on them a week later---we didn't starve people. Just didn't want a late night either and the church was only available at very specific time slots). I should also say that the invitations stated "reception tea to follow" (which was meant to indicate no meal)

I'd go for a nicer, garden party sundress, with heeled sandals and jewelry to bring it up a notch

I would expect at least 2 to 3 hrs in between end of ceremony and reception for pictures and for the wedding party to freshen up. I've been to quite a few lately that the wedding is at 2 and dinner is closer to 5. That's just been my experience though. My thought is a 1 pm wedding isn't really 'formal' I expect evening weddings to be. I guess you and I are about to find out this weekend though!

Did the invitation indicate a meal would be served? I would assume light snacks and beverages---no full meal. our wedding was at 2. Reception was a "tea" with beer, wine, tea, coffee and localls brewed rootbeer and buffest set up snakcs liek meatballs, shrimp, veggies, etc. ONE couple came expecting lunch and angry that it was so late---everyone else assumed that not being over a meal time meant to meal service (note: we had a ton of "snacks" which could easily be made into a meal if wanted/needed----had leftovers that night and my in laws had enough leftovers to be eating on them a week later---we didn't starve people. Just didn't want a late night either and the church was only available at very specific time slots)

I'd go for a nicer, garden party sundress, with heeled sandals and jewelry to bring it up a notch

It says "reception to follow".

I would expect at least 2 to 3 hrs in between end of ceremony and reception for pictures and for the wedding party to freshen up. I've been to quite a few lately that the wedding is at 2 and dinner is closer to 5. That's just been my experience though. My thought is a 1 pm wedding isn't really 'formal' I expect evening weddings to be. I guess you and I are about to find out this weekend though!

Yes, I'll definitely report back. Going to out of state weddings are nerve wracking to me. Last year I went to one in Atlanta. The invitation actual used the words "formal attire" somewhere in it & there were men in jeans. I never know what to wear anymore. :sad2:

ok so that doesn't tell you anything about what to expect as far as meal or no meal at the reception.

Exactly. Everything about it has been very vague. I'm so OCD. I need black and white. It's an evening wedding. Got it. It's a brunch. Got it. But 1pm with reception to follow. I got nothing. I have no clue what's going on. o_O:D

Blossom Heath is less then 1/4 of a mile from my house, it's in a park on the water. I walk in it everyday.:)

I've been at many events there, and it is not an especially formal place. A LBD or knee length sheath dress would be as dressed up as I would get for that venue. At that time of day, you'll be served a luncheon, probably not liquor but maybe beer or wine.

It's supposed to be a high of mid 70'S here, it is right near Lake St. Clair, so usually very breezy with a chill in the air. There's gorgeous fountains, foliage and places for photos in the park out front. It's a really nice yet reasonable venue.

Well if both of our events turn out to be a bust and end early we can meet in Lansing and have dinner! Ha Ha! :rotfl:

Blossom Heath is less then 1/4 of a mile from my house, it's in a park on the water. I walk in it everyday.:)

I've been at many events there, and it is not an especially formal place. A LBD or knee length sheath dress would be as dressed up as I would get for that venue. At that time of day, you'll be served a luncheon, probably not liquor but maybe beer or wine.

It's supposed to be a high of mid 70'S here, it is right near Lake St. Clair, so usually very breezy with a chill in the air. There's gorgeous fountains, foliage and places for photos in the park out front. It's a really nice yet reasonable venue.

This helps so much! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter