Michigan ladies, I need your input...

This helps so much! Thank you!

Sure! If the reception winds down early, hang a right onto Jefferson and drive just north of 10 Mile (a couple of blocks). If you like craft beer, you'll love Baffin Brewery, a little hole in the wall. I love their Mango Unchained! Otherwise, there's always a ton to do in the midtown area of Detroit.

I'd go with a sundress or LBD and sweater/wrap, something that looks good both with and without the top layer. Blossom Heath is on the water, so it will be cooler than Detroit-area weather forecast temps and probably breezy. It is a really nice venue but not particularly fancy/formal, especially for daytime events. I've been to more showers than weddings there (it is just a couple miles from where I grew up - my senior all night party was there too).

IMO, 80 degrees means it's pretty much going to be in the mid 70s most of the day with 80 degrees hitting for a little bit toward 3 and 4. :)

IMO, 80 degrees means it's pretty much going to be in the mid 70s most of the day with 80 degrees hitting for a little bit toward 3 and 4. :)

Right!

It also depends on the clouds. 80 and cloudy means it will feel like low 70's, while 80 and pure sun will be hot at 1pm.

St. Clair Shores at 1pm in sept? I'd do as many suggested and go with a sundress and sweater/wrap. You will be covered wither way as far as weather, and its probably what most women will wear. Even at slightly fancier weddings in the evening, most people in the Detroit suburbs will refrain from breaking out their Gucci and Versace. :rotfl2:

Thank you all so much!

Any recommendations on where to get dinner Friday night? We land at 4pm & our hotel is in Warren. Any must visits between the two? My only two visits my friend took me to Greek Town both times & I remember that being nice. Though I don't remember either of the restaurants' names. One had brick walls in the interior & a flaming cheese appetizer, I think. The other had an upstairs & sampler meals which I remember liking. It's been some years now so who knows if they're even the same anymore. She also brought me to a restaurant in Dearborn pretty late one night, which was quite the experience. Also to Frankenmuth & we ate at the Inn there. Felt like Epcot! :)

It'll be my mom & I- she's never visited. Kind of a girls trip leaving my husband & my dad to take care of the kids. Should be interesting!!

Thank you all so much!

Any recommendations on where to get dinner Friday night? We land at 4pm & our hotel is in Warren. Any must visits between the two? My only two visits my friend took me to Greek Town both times & I remember that being nice. Though I don't remember either of the restaurants' names. One had brick walls in the interior & a flaming cheese appetizer, I think. The other had an upstairs & sampler meals which I remember liking. It's been some years now so who knows if they're even the same anymore. She also brought me to a restaurant in Dearborn pretty late one night, which was quite the experience. Also to Frankenmuth & we ate at the Inn there. Felt like Epcot! :)

It'll be my mom & I- she's never visited. Kind of a girls trip leaving my husband & my dad to take care of the kids. Should be interesting!!

Where are you coming from?

I only ask because I was born and raised in Detroit/suburbs and lived in the general area until my mid 30s. We live in the Chicago suburbs now for the past 7 years, so going back "home" for the food isn't something we do lol. Chicago food is soooo much better!

We do make sure we buy some Better Made BBQ chips before we leave MI, though!

Greek town is not a bad choice. There are a few places to choose from. Pretty much everything else between Metro and Warren is going to either be non descript or places you can find in any mid to large city, but then again I'm more of a West/Northwest-sider, so maybe there are some East side gems someone else knows of!

We were just in Warren a few weeks ago for my brothers wedding :) Have fun!

Where are you coming from?

I only ask because I was born and raised in Detroit/suburbs and lived in the general area until my mid 30s. We live in the Chicago suburbs now for the past 7 years, so going back "home" for the food isn't something we do lol. Chicago food is soooo much better!

We do make sure we buy some Better Made BBQ chips before we leave MI, though!

Greek town is not a bad choice. There are a few places to choose from. Pretty much everything else between Metro and Warren is going to either be non descript or places you can find in any mid to large city, but then again I'm more of a West/Northwest-sider, so maybe there are some East side gems someone else knows of!

We were just in Warren a few weeks ago for my brothers wedding :) Have fun!

Thanks!

We're from the NYC suburbs (Westchester County) so we're used to having quite a vast selection of amazing restaurants.

Thanks!

We're from the NYC suburbs (Westchester County) so we're used to having quite a vast selection of amazing restaurants.

Then you won't be impressed by anything in Detroit! lol There used to be a Fishbones in Greektown, not sure if it is still there, but again, if you have access to good food at home, it won't knock your socks off. Mexican Village was always kind of fun and different, but with the Mexican food available in Chicago, it doesn't seem much better than Taco Bell to me now!

I lived about 30 min from Frankenmuth the last 8 years we lived in MI, and DH's family still has a tradition of going there the Saturday after Thanksgiving every year, so we do that once a year for the chicken dinners, but it will be a good hours drive from Warren, in the opposite direction of the airport. Awesome noodles though! It's worth it if you have the time.

Then you won't be impressed by anything in Detroit! lol There used to be a Fishbones in Greektown, not sure if it is still there, but again, if you have access to good food at home, it won't knock your socks off. Mexican Village was always kind of fun and different, but with the Mexican food available in Chicago, it doesn't seem much better than Taco Bell to me now!

I lived about 30 min from Frankenmuth the last 8 years we lived in MI, and DH's family still has a tradition of going there the Saturday after Thanksgiving every year, so we do that once a year for the chicken dinners, but it will be a good hours drive from Warren, in the opposite direction of the airport. Awesome noodles though! It's worth it if you have the time.

Oh, what an awesome tradition! I do want to get to Bronners & Frankenmuth to show my mom. We're BIG Christmas people so I know she'll love Bronners. Our schedule is tight but I'm thinking maybe after the wedding, if it's short, or Sunday before we fly out. Which is the restaurant with the chicken dinners and noodles? Is that at the Frankenmuth Inn or somewhere else? Thanks so much!

Oh, what an awesome tradition! I do want to get to Bronners & Frankenmuth to show my mom. We're BIG Christmas people so I know she'll love Bronners. Our schedule is tight but I'm thinking maybe after the wedding, if it's short, or Sunday before we fly out. Which is the restaurant with the chicken dinners and noodles? Is that at the Frankenmuth Inn or somewhere else? Thanks so much!

There are two, right across the street from each other. We always go to Bavarian Inn - we just like the atmosphere better, although Zehnder's (the white building) has the same food. Bavarian Inn is the brown-ish building with the Glockenspiel Tower

Then we always hit Bronner's after dinner to walk it off!

Thank you all so much!

I couldn't disagree more with the previous poster's assessment of Detroit's dining scene. Food is a big part of our travels but there are places in Detroit that I'd put up against my Chicago, NYC and DC favorites any day. They're mostly not in Macomb County; that's the blue collar side of town and overrun with mediocre chain restaurants, though there are certainly a few local standouts if you know where to look. (And, no offense to you @Lilacs4Me , you didn't choose very well - Santorini, across the street from Fishbones, is MUCH better Greektown dining and Mexican Village is probably the most Americanized of all the restaurants in the Mexicantown neighborhood).

Personally, I'd do one of two things with a visitor to the area - Hamtramck for Polish food, either at Polish Village Cafe or Polonia, or Dearborn for Middle Eastern food. Habib's on Michigan is probably my favorite but it has been a while since I spent much time on that side of town so there may be newer places I'm not familiar with. Normally I'd also recommend Buddy's for a taste of Detroit-style pizza (and there is one in Warren), but my experience is that New Yorkers who like their floppy-crust round pizzas tend not to be very impressed by our dense, square version.

I couldn't disagree more with the previous poster's assessment of Detroit's dining scene. Food is a big part of our travels but there are places in Detroit that I'd put up against my Chicago, NYC and DC favorites any day. They're mostly not in Macomb County; that's the blue collar side of town and overrun with mediocre chain restaurants, though there are certainly a few local standouts if you know where to look. (And, no offense to you @Lilacs4Me , you didn't choose very well - Santorini, across the street from Fishbones, is MUCH better Greektown dining and Mexican Village is probably the most Americanized of all the restaurants in the Mexicantown neighborhood).

Personally, I'd do one of two things with a visitor to the area - Hamtramck for Polish food, either at Polish Village Cafe or Polonia, or Dearborn for Middle Eastern food. Habib's on Michigan is probably my favorite but it has been a while since I spent much time on that side of town so there may be newer places I'm not familiar with. Normally I'd also recommend Buddy's for a taste of Detroit-style pizza (and there is one in Warren), but my experience is that New Yorkers who like their floppy-crust round pizzas tend not to be very impressed by our dense, square version.
It's been nearl 15 years since we lived i nteh area---but back then, oh yes, there was a lot of really good, local mid eastern food in and around Dearborn. Mmmmm

Thanks! I had actually heard about Buddy's but I don't usually run to a pizza place when out of state. We may give it a shot though. I ate in Dearborn last visit, don't remember the name of the restaurant, but I really enjoyed it. My mom, however, wouldn't be interested as she doesn't like to get too adventurous. The Polish place sounds intriguing though as we have a very large Polish community here and I'd love to compare it. Thanks!

Yup....not an east-side or Downtown girl AND it's been 7 years, so I defer to you!

But, I stand by Chicago - hands down much better food and scenery than Detroit overall, and I LOVE my D hometown! (we are moving back as soon as DS11 graduates from high school. Maybe we will even get to try some of the new places you have mentioned above!) But Chicago wins in both areas above, in my eyes. And we won't even begin to compare Buddy's with anything in Chicago or New York, so it looks like we agree on that at least! lol If you want "Michigan Pizza" OP, I'd go with Jets or just a $6 Little Caesars. We crave both of those sometimes!

YMMV!

It's been nearl 15 years since we lived i nteh area---but back then, oh yes, there was a lot of really good, local mid eastern food in and around Dearborn. Mmmmm

I don't think of Dearborn and Warren as very close to each other just for a trip for middle eastern food (can find that pretty much anywhere) but if OP is willing to go to Frankenmuth, I can see how Dearborn isn't out of the question!

Yup....not an east-side or Downtown girl AND it's been 7 years, so I defer to you!

And I stand by Chicago - hands down much better food and scenery than Detroit overall, and I LOVE my D hometown! (we are moving back as soon as DS11 graduates from high school. Maybe we will even get to try some of the new places you have mentioned above!) But Chicago wins in both areas above, in my eyes. And we won't even begin to compare Buddy's with anything in Chicago or New York, so it looks like we agree on that at least! lol

YMMV!

Oh, it has changed so much in that time! I worked for the Metro Times when I was finishing up my degree and I swear, that is a terrible job for the waistline because it had me aware of and close to all the new restaurants that I'd normally only get to a time or two a year. I used to complain fairly often about the lack of interesting options; now my complaint is too many good places and too few chances to get into the city. I call myself a city girl in exile - living in a small town about an hour out of the city for the sake of better schools/a "be home when the streetlights come on" upbringing for the kids - and plan to move back to the city itself either when DD9 "graduates" from the private K-8 she's been in since preschool or, at the very worse, when she graduates from high school.

I love Chicago too. It comes only behind Detroit, which will always be home to me, and Toronto on my list of favorite cities, and we try to visit once a year because it is such an easy train ride from home. And I adore Chicago style pizza (we're getting a Giordanos in Detroit - PizzaPapalis does a pretty decent Chicago-style in Greektown, but it'll be so great to have the real thing!). But it is nothing like Detroit style and vice-versa.

I don't think of Dearborn and Warren as very close to each other just for a trip for middle eastern food (can find that pretty much anywhere) but if OP is willing to go to Frankenmuth, I can see how Dearborn isn't out of the question!

I was thinking in terms of the drive from the airport to Warren, since there's not a lot in/around Warren that I'd recommend. Nothing I suggested is particularly close to the hotel, but landing at Metro at 4pm means they'll be driving right through Dearborn and then Detroit right around dinner time and can stop on the way.

The only fine dining near Warren that consistently gets rave reviews is Mr. Paul's Chophouse. Reallg good, in a very industrial area, but people swear by it. Grosse Pointe is very close, and has very upscale dining...the Hill Seafood & Chops in the village is phenominal! Any place you go for middle eastern food downtown Detroit is a slam dunk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!