Miami Beach Has Spring Break Restrictions?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/breakup/

"Expect curfews, security searches and bag checks at beach access points, early beach entrance closures, DUI checkpoints, bumper-to-bumper traffic, road closures and arrests for drug possession and violence."

Unless there's a crap ton of violence and what not, I can see this failing. How are you going to restrict tourists?

I had a niece go down to Fort Lauderdale last spring and they had horse patrols go up and down the beach in the evening. I want to say at 6 but I'm not totally sure.

Never been, but I do recall seeing stories on restrictions going back years ago. At least 3 years ago before I retired, and maybe back 10 years.

It reminds me of articles I've read about other popular tourist destinations attempting to curb overtourism. I do wonder how well this will play out since Miami has had a reputation as a spring break tourist destination since....forever lol

We want your money, just not you... 👍 :rotfl2:
Not exactly, they don't want the guns, fights, stampede scenes...

A chaotic 2023 spring break in Miami Beach saw two deadly shootings and 488 arrests — more than 230 of which were felony offenses, according to Miami Beach Police. More than 100 firearms were seized. Scenes of the chaos along Ocean Drive appeared in national news shows.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local... spring break,appeared in national news shows.

https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/breakup/

"Expect curfews, security searches and bag checks at beach access points, early beach entrance closures, DUI checkpoints, bumper-to-bumper traffic, road closures and arrests for drug possession and violence."

Unless there's a crap ton of violence and what not, I can see this failing. How are you going to restrict tourists?
Yes - take it from a long time Floridian. There has been a "crap ton of violence" and it's been a huge problem. These are not the crazy spring breakers of past times - too much drinking or other college-related fun gone extreme.

These are real low lifes: many are actually locals, not visiting students - and they bring guns, knives and nasty, aggressive attitudes - intimidating and hurting people. It's way past time the city cracked down - this has been going on for years and they've just been too afraid of the bad publicity to properly pursue those committing the crimes.

I'm glad they're doing something. There are many wonderful areas to party in FL! But I wouldn't recommend Miami. :(

There have been a couple years where things have gotten out of hand in some of these traditional spring break cities, so they're trying to either rein it in or discourage college kids from coming at all.
The problem in Miami is NOT like a typical spring break madness in panama beach, ft laud, cozumel and other traditional locales - which yes - local cities do try to reign in to some extent, without killing the fun altogether. Nope - this is about stopping the violence, intimidation and people with ill will on their minds, looking to hurt others.

Is Fort Lauderdale still a spring break destination? It was in the late 70s/early 80s when I was in college, like the “Where the Boys Are” movie from the 1960s.

I heard the scene, for the most part, departed Fort Lauderdale many years ago.

I heard on the news that they’ll be charging $100 for parking near the beach. Anything to discourage hoards of people from coming in. It’s funny that my DS went to college in Miami. When the spring break crowds came in, he would fly home to avoid them.

Maybe it's because they don't want to have to declare a state of emergency like they did in 2023. I have no idea if it was warranted or overkill but there were some shootings.

Is Fort Lauderdale still a spring break destination? It was in the late 70s/early 80s when I was in college, like the “Where the Boys Are” movie from the 1960s.

No Ft. Lauderdale broke up with spring break in the early 80s for similar reasons.

They have decided to close down all the city owned parking garages in Miami Beach over the next two weekends to curb the local riff raff who were flooding into the spring break environment. They are also stopping the rentals of all the beach vehicle rentals such as golf carts, scooters and the spyder three wheelers. As a local we very rarely venture to south beach because its price gouging at its finest and has really become just a tourist area.

They’ve been trying to enforce this for a few years now. Crowds and violence, a year or two (maybe three?) there was a shooting in a crowded area during spring break.

As a deterrent, the news said that there would be $100 parking fees, curfews, and extra patrols.

My daughter who is currently in college was just in Fort Lauderdale for spring break this week. She told me that there were a lot of college kids there and it is one of the top spring break destinations currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter