Miami area condo collapse

Looking at the photos I will guess the failure was at the connection of the precast floor planks to the wall.
I have no idea, but the parking for the complex was underground and I have a feeling that had something to do with it. It will probably be months before we really know the cause.

Right now, the emphasis is on search and rescue -- and that will remain the emphasis for quite a while.

They also have a fire burning under the rubble which they are trying to extinguish. That fire probably started in the underground parking area when the rubble smashed the cars parked there.

This evening's report is little changed from what we've had the last two days.

Rescuers found one body in the rubble this afternoon, raising the death total to 5.

Apparently some unaccounted for people have been located, and the unaccounted for total is now 156.

So far, no survivors have been found in the debris since the first few minutes after the collapse.

Rescue efforts continue 24/7 and officials say they have plenty of resources. Israel has either sent, or is sending, an urban search and rescue team to assist.

Here’s the 2018 engineer’s report. Lots of structural issues. Curious who made the decision not to do anything about it.
Nobody. That report was part of the preparation for the 40-year inspection and recertification of the building. Repairs had already been started and were underway when the building collapsed. I've seen at least one structural engineer say that the issues cited in that report were not sufficient to cause the building to collapse.

This evening's report is little changed from what we've had the last two days.

Rescuers found one body in the rubble this afternoon, raising the death total to 5.

Apparently some unaccounted for people have been located, and the unaccounted for total is now 156.

So far, no survivors have been found in the debris since the first few minutes after the collapse.

Rescue efforts continue 24/7 and officials say they have plenty of resources. Israel has either sent, or is sending, an urban search and rescue team to assist.
Not to be too morbid, or maybe it’s just being hopeful, but it seems like an active S&R effort would be finding more bodies, especially if the 156 unaccounted people were actually in the building.

Not to be too morbid, or maybe it’s just being hopeful, but it seems like an active S&R effort would be finding more bodies, especially if the 156 unaccounted people were actually in the building.
All I can tell you is that these specific Urban Search and Rescue Teams are some of the best in the world. They are the first ones sent to disasters in Haiti, Mexico and many other places, so they are very experienced.

Due to the nature of the collapse, there are limits to how many rescuers they can deploy and where they can approach from, but they are doing everything humanly possible to save lives. I know several of the team personally from my rescue rides, and they are the best you could hope for.

The whole thing is just so sad. While I know to never say never, I‘m becoming doubtful there will be any survivors found. My only hope is that it happened so fast that no one suffered. And I also pray for those brave rescuers risking their lives.

So how does the HOA fees work? I know the owners are still on the hook for any mortgages and would need to work with their insurance companies, but what about the monthly HOA fees? Until the HOA is legally dissolved are the owners or owners estates still responsible for the monthly fee?

So how does the HOA fees work? I know the owners are still on the hook for any mortgages and would need to work with their insurance companies, but what about the monthly HOA fees? Until the HOA is legally dissolved are the owners or owners estates still responsible for the monthly fee?

I was part of an HOA where the building and exterior was covered by the HOA's policy paid with our HOA dues. There's probably something in the HOA covenant that specifies what happens in case of a total loss.

The HOA has insurance separate from the Owners.

The building is/was owned by the residents.

Don’t the owners just own the spaces that they live in? When my grandma owned a condo, she was responsible for upkeep and maintenance inside the unit. Anything outside the unit was the condo association board responsibility.

I’m assuming this condo had a board of directors?

Don’t the owners just own the spaces that they live in? When my grandma owned a condo, she was responsible for upkeep and maintenance inside the unit. Anything outside the unit was the condo association board responsibility.

It's kind of complicated with anything that has a joint ownership like a condo or townhouse complex. Every owner literally owns a piece of everything including the building structure and the common areas. The HOA dues are supposed to pay for upkeep, insurance, and sometimes even capital improvements. But the primary condo insurance policy isn't quite like a traditional policy in that it doesn't cover any property inside, and for that a "walls-in" policy might be used for each individual unit.

I don't know exactly how it would work if they wanted to dissolve the HOA. I have the feeling that it's going to come down to that.

Even that one unit where they hired someone to replace their sliders .. due to water seepage, had a Subpar, Not to code install and recommendation was a complete rip out. That report also mentioned the building wanted to paint… but they were told they needed to replace all windows and doors plus the myriad other issues. Very very sad… curious, was this a Volunteer Board or paid members?

It's kind of complicated with anything that has a joint ownership like a condo or townhouse complex. Every owner literally owns a piece of everything including the building structure and the common areas. The HOA dues are supposed to pay for upkeep, insurance, and sometimes even capital improvements. But the primary condo insurance policy isn't quite like a traditional policy in that it doesn't cover any property inside, and for that a "walls-in" policy might be used for each individual unit.

I don't know exactly how it would work if they wanted to dissolve the HOA. I have the feeling that it's going to come down to that.

Sue yourself ? :scratchin

Its a bit more complicated than expressed. The residents own the entire building and possibly the land it sits on. Individual condo owners are directly responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of their specific units. The condo board is directly responsible for public areas including but not limited to the terraces.
Based on the engineer’s report the repairs needed were directed to the condo association and thus their responsibility.
A condo by definition and corporate bylaws has a board of directors as this building has/had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter