Miami area condo collapse

Further information on the found cat. She was in apartment 904, which was in the part of the building that originally collapsed.

Two of the family members who own the cat survived -- a mother and daughter who are both still hospitalized. The husband/dad is among the 61 still missing.

Israeli Urban Search and Rescue Team Receives big sendoff
The Israeli Urban Search and Rescue Team, which got here so quickly and contributed so much to the Surfside rescue was given a fond farewell yesterday. We are eternally grateful to the people of Israel for their help in this terrible time!

https://www.local10.com/news/local/...re-departing-surfside-building-collapse-site/

And the latest numbers are 90 dead and 31 unaccounted for.

I like that they are cataloging and sifting through the debris looking for family heirlooms and personal items. They have said family members have requested and described other items of importance.

At port Miami we saw ..
The Royal Caribbean ship that's housing rescue workers and dogs . Just really cool that RC is doing this.
Yes. They said they could house about 600 rescue workers, but I don't know how many they actually have on board. They've been doing that since pretty early on. They brought that ship in from another port only for this purpose.

The latest numbers are 95 known dead and still 14 unaccounted for. Of those 95 dead, 85 have been identified and their next of kin notified -- leaving 10 known dead but unidentified.

Those unidentified deceased persons are probably included in the 14 above. Police can't "account for" a person until the remains have been positively identified. Of the 14 unaccounted for, police have 12 verified missing persons reports and 2 others they are still trying to confirm.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/07/13/surfside-condo-collapse-updates-death-toll-increases/

I don’t see any reason to wait. The survivors need new places to live and the families of the victims should be compensated for the loss of their property.
I agree. I don’t see a reason to delay once the property has been cleared of all human remains. The survivors were owners of the interior of their condo, not the land, so they have nothing to sell in order to find a new place to live. It sounds like the judge is trying to make multiple avenues of restitution available to these victims as quickly as possible. I can’t find fault with that.

I can sympathize with survivors who may be wishing for the building to be rebuilt so they have somewhere to live, but if it were me, I wouldn’t want to live there again. It would be too hard to be in the same place, with all the memories of that horrible night. I am not sure I would want to live in a high rise again after that. I have never lived in a condo. Do the purchase contracts address what happens if the overall structure is condemned or otherwise found unlivable?

I cannot believe I read this today.
The judge made this ruling last night (Weds),
and it states that he intends for the money to go to victims & families.
I think it is just too early.
Why is he rushing this?

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...te-of-deadly-surfside-condo-collapse/2495143/

It's not a rush. This part needs to be done asap. The people that were fortunate enough to survive still lost EVERYTHING and are homeless. Settlements need to start being made ASAP so people can forge forward.

It imperative to act quickly. The money is needed to help those that have no place to live, no wardrobe to go to work, no cars nor all the other things we take for granted, but need in order to move on with our daily lives.

Also, liabilities, bills, insurance, mortgage payments don't disappear, owners are still on the hook for all those expenses and then some (HOA fees?). Many retired persons with fixed income are impacted by this tragedy too.

**Please look up rental prices down here and think about the impact of paying both rent and mortgage at same time.

Thankfully, the folks working the site are doing so very quickly so families can have closure and proper funerals/services/burials for their loved ones.
A memorial would be appropriate when the building is rebuilt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter