"medical items"

eeyorefanuk

DIS Veteran
Hello,

Are you allowed to take say paracetamol and codeine in america? Is there anything you are not allowed to take?

Also we are packing
savlon
plasters
headache/painkillers
immodium
dioralyte

since this is our first trip to america, is there anything else you recommend packing "just in case"

I have been sorting this holiday for over a year, and now it seems to be coming around too quick and running out of time - lol

We have taken them in the past - especially small amounts in hand luggage for the journey, just in case.
To be honest though we normally come back with more than we go with, as DW has found some particular tablets that she found worked much better than any you could buy over the counter in this country.

Hmm, different countires have rules on codeine, I think that may be one of teh things you can't take in with you.

I'll google it and return with the answer.

This was a reply on a website for nurses:

http://allnurses.com/united-kingdom-uk/codeine-coming-america-166195.html

To all UK nurses coming to the USA, you must be aware that whilst we can buy codeine over the counter as a legal medicine, it is not available as an over the counter preparation in the USA and it has to be under all cirumstances prescribed by a doctor and declared on your medicine declaration form.
Remember you will be drug tested upon arrival in the USA within 48hrs if with an agency. If you have taken anything with codeine in it you will test positive for drugs (Codiene and morphine), and if you cannot prove that this drug was prescribed by a doctor then you could be in trouble. So follow these simple steps.
1) Make sure codeine is prescibed by a doctor this includes co-codamol, co-dydramol, tramadol, co proximal.

2) If you do take it, then declare it on any forms which ask you if you take any medication

3) Or dont take it at least 8 weeks prior to travel to the US to work.

They will ask to see proof of prescription, so you must bring that with you.

Obviously you won't be drug tested, but I would take the prescription with you just in case.

If you have a car and will be making a trip to walmart or walgreens (pharmacy) early in the trip then i'd just take a few painkillers for the plane and get the rest when you get there.

I love having a browse in the medicine aisles and always stock up on advil (ibuprofen) and character plasters (much better selection than here!) to bring home.

I love having a browse in the medicine aisles and always stock up

That throws a whole new light on Florida shopping :lmao: (I do know what you mean though ;))

I have always taken nurofen on the plane as I tend to get a headache. I assume that is not a problem?

Good thing you thought to ask Eeyorefan. And thank goodness you hopped on here Torsie. I would never have even thought to question any of these things.

I love looking at the medicines in Walgreens too! It amazes me how many different things they have there. I am a wimp and cannot swallow tablets very easily unless they are small and Tylenol do a liquid for headaches called Berry Blast and it is fantastic!

I went to get some calpol type stuff for DD when we were there too and there were 5 different flavours to choose from! I must say though it worked so much quicker than our Calpol does here!

Oh no - I do not have a prescription - just buy them boots own make - find the other makes space me out - do find I need them though at certain times - not sure what to do now

Could you perhaps make an appointment with your GP and explain the situation - then ask him if you could have a prescription just for while you are away?

Could you perhaps make an appointment with your GP and explain the situation - then ask him if you could have a prescription just for while you are away?

Ah, already been to get my diazapan for flying and other prescriptions. Trouble is if she gave me prescripton it would be for "named" make that makes me all woozy :lmao:

PS Are you home for lunch as well???? Just going back :sad2:

Can you think of anything else I have missed off my list that might be a good idea to take? Our holiday normally consists of "sunbathing" but know with this one we will be out and about all the time.

I like others on here come home with plenty more than I take.

I got a fantastic Toothache Gel last year as recommended by another Disser and gee wizz did it come in handy a couple of months ago, no way would it be allowed over here though unless by prescription ;)

I bought a whole stack of the tyrenol home last year only to find that all mine had been recalled so had throw it all away :eek:

Purely for hand luggage purposes I always carry a little of everything, however year before last I got taken poorly on the flight home and believe me Virgin carried everything and anything.

Trouble is if she gave me prescripton it would be for "named" make that makes me all woozy :lmao:

When I was pregnant I suffered quite badly with heartburn and I found that the names brands made it worse so I asked the GP to specify on the prescription that it was a generic one I needed. I think if you mention it to the pharmacy too then they would be more than happy to give you the Boots own ones.

I bought a whole stack of the tyrenol home last year only to find that all mine had been recalled so had throw it all away :eek:

mine was all on that list too, I was annoyed!

Ah, already been to get my diazapan for flying and other prescriptions. Trouble is if she gave me prescripton it would be for "named" make that makes me all woozy :lmao:

PS Are you home for lunch as well???? Just going back :sad2:

Can you think of anything else I have missed off my list that might be a good idea to take? Our holiday normally consists of "sunbathing" but know with this one we will be out and about all the time.

I will have a look at my list from last year. I didn't not have anything so I obviously packed fairly well .... oh, except for toothpaste, but that's because I bought a different type and it was BLECH!!! Have you posted your list somewhere or are you just talking first aid type stuff?

I can cross check tonight when I get home. :goodvibes

Oh, I didn't go home for lunch. It's been crazy in here so no such luck today. We actually close between 1 and 2 pm but you cant close when there is a steady stream of clients coming in and out...

Will your doctor not prescribe you a generic med? A lot of the time that is what they actually put into the prescription packs anyway - NHS can't afford the brand names :laughing:

Do they tend to ask to see your repeat if you have medication on you?

One of my drugs I take isn't on there and only get it prescribed every 8 weeks, should I ask my GP to put that on as well, just to be safe?

Hello,

Are you allowed to take say paracetamol and codeine in america? Is there anything you are not allowed to take?

Also we are packing
savlon
plasters
headache/painkillers
immodium
dioralyte

since this is our first trip to america, is there anything else you recommend packing "just in case"

I have been sorting this holiday for over a year, and now it seems to be coming around too quick and running out of time - lol

lol - You are going to the USA, they sell plasters there !!

Don't waste your time over filling your suitcases.

For our first visit, I had the same problem with my wife, she was taking enough medicine to open a store of Boots, then she found Wallgreens..

For our first visit, I had the same problem with my wife, she was taking enough medicine to open a store of Boots, then she found Wallgreens..

:lmao:

I do take plasters because we don't leave Disney property for a good 5 days or so after we get there and with all the walking it helps to have a few in your backpack. I wouldn't go overboard though.

You may want to take a small pair of tweezers, some small scissors and some cottonwool discs (although these may already be in your make up kit, in which case don't bother). They have first aid centres at all of the parks and basic supplies at the resorts.

I think you pretty much have it covered. :)

I take plasters too. ::yes:: We dont plan on leaving property, so we're a lot cheaper to buy it here than pay WDW prices as I bet they put a good bump on their bandaid prices!

I take plasters too. ::yes:: We dont plan on leaving property, so we're a lot cheaper to buy it here than pay WDW prices as I bet they put a good bump on their bandaid prices!

You got that one right - have a snoop next time you pop into your resort gift shop :rolleyes: Whatever injury you need them for, your wallet will sustain a bigger one when considering what you are actually buying. ....

Yes that is the reason why I am taking items, even though we have a car, we are not intending to visit walmarts etc - esepecially not the first few days.

When we went to disneyland paris last year, I took ibrofen and par/codeine, my niece had a bad headache but asmathic (could only take paracetamol)- they could only give her two tablets, so now I make sure I have everything for everyone - do not want to have to leave the park to go to the shops to buy anything :goodvibes

I take loads too - sudocrem, hyrdocortizone, vaseline, afterbite, sudafed (sinus trouble common with air-con) ... must checking packing list and post back.

I know you can get it all over there but I don't want too!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter