MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

We were in Disneyland last weekend and we utilized Maxpass each day. Something I was not too aware of was that if you are holding a fastpass on maxpass when that ride happens to go down it causes that fastpass to turn into a "use whenever you want on any ride you want at that same park" pass. I cannot remember the exact name it used.

I kept selecting fastpasses for Indiana Jones and Big Thunder throughout our trip and they happened to be two of the most frequent rides to go down during this particular trip which made it so we got multiple "use any time passes" throughout our time which we then utilized on other rides.

The strategy of using the anytime anywhere fastpass on another more popular ride may be frowned on by some and be the cause of the longer fastpass lines and I am not trying to create an argument I am just stating the facts of what occurs when you have a fastpass for a ride that goes down (which we all know happens a lot).

We were in Disneyland last weekend and we utilized Maxpass each day. Something I was not too aware of was that if you are holding a fastpass on maxpass when that ride happens to go down it causes that fastpass to turn into a "use whenever you want on any ride you want at that same park" pass. I cannot remember the exact name it used.

I kept selecting fastpasses for Indiana Jones and Big Thunder throughout our trip and they happened to be two of the most frequent rides to go down during this particular trip which made it so we got multiple "use any time passes" throughout our time which we then utilized on other rides.

The strategy of using the anytime anywhere fastpass on another more popular ride may be frowned on by some and be the cause of the longer fastpass lines and I am not trying to create an argument I am just stating the facts of what occurs when you have a fastpass for a ride that goes down (which we all know happens a lot).

Multiple Experience FP. Does not work on Space Mountain (unless that is the attraction that breaks down) or Peter Pan.

Yes, you can actually use it on non FP attractions as well. Even though you can get different answers from the CMs, I have done it twice on Finding Nemo Submarines and it worked like a charm.

Trying MaxPass later this month after all! I arrive a day before my BFF and will be there approx 2pm - 7pm. I'm thinking I should be able to get some experience using the system even if I'm too late for the top FPs (GOTG, RSR)? I'd like to learn the system a bit before my friend tries it but if everything, including things like BTMRR, is gone by mid-afternoon I'd hate to waste my $10...

Trying MaxPass later this month after all! I arrive a day before my BFF and will be there approx 2pm - 7pm. I'm thinking I should be able to get some experience using the system even if I'm too late for the top FPs (GOTG, RSR)? I'd like to learn the system a bit before my friend tries it but if everything, including things like BTMRR, is gone by mid-afternoon I'd hate to waste my $10...
Since you have to buy it from the app, you'll see what's available. Only a few headliners ever seem to "run out." Yesterday even without SM or HM in the mix, nothing was gone by 3:00. (Yesterday was not crowded because it was so hot, but still).

Having said that, I also don't think there's really anything to "learn," so it's not really necessary to try it out early unless you just want to. It's super intuitive if you know the general idea, which you do from reading here...

Multiple Experience FP. Does not work on Space Mountain (unless that is the attraction that breaks down) or Peter Pan.

Yes, you can actually use it on non FP attractions as well. Even though you can get different answers from the CMs, I have done it twice on Finding Nemo Submarines and it worked like a charm.

My Multiple Experiences FPs I got from Indy three times were good for all rides in DL including SM (and successfully used them for SM) the last weekend of MSEP. I commented about this previously in this thread wondering if anyone else noticed this change with their ME FPs, but no one seemed to take notice.

I would have thought it a one time glitch if it hadn't of happened three times. Doesn't mean it's still happening, of course, and I haven't been back since to test it out again, but I did have an entirely different experience than the one I was expecting based on reports.

My point: one should always check which rides an ME FP is good for.

And did I miss the thread about Peter Pan getting FP added to it?

My Multiple Experiences FPs I got from Indy three times were good for all rides in DL including SM (and successfully used them for SM) the last weekend of MSEP. I commented about this previously in this thread wondering if anyone else noticed this change with their ME FPs, but no one seemed to take notice.

I would have thought it a one time glitch if it hadn't of happened three times. Doesn't mean it's still happening, of course, and I haven't been back since to test it out again, but I did have an entirely different experience than the one I was expecting based on reports.

My point: one should always check which rides an ME FP is good for.

And did I miss the thread about Peter Pan getting FP added to it?
I remember your posts about this; didn't comment because I have no facts. I'm thinking Indy and SM are the only ones that allow SM as a multi; just speculation on my part.

PPF is not FP eligible anyway so I'm not sure why it keeps getting mentioned.

I remember your posts about this; didn't comment because I have no facts. I'm thinking Indy and SM are the only ones that allow SM as a multi; just speculation on my part.

I'm not sure why it keeps getting mentioned either. Hence my wondering if I missed something, haha!

But I'd be very interested to see comparisons of other ME FPs and what they were before. I thought I'd read that originally even Indy FPs were still excluding SM. It does seem to be the ride that grants the most ME FPs. Maybe on my day off tomorrow I'll look back through pages and see what I can find.

You can use the multiple experience pass at non-FP rides. But not Peter Pan.

I'm not sure why it keeps getting mentioned either. Hence my wondering if I missed something, haha!
The last comment you replied to mentioned that you can use them at non-FP rides (she mentioned doing Finding Nemo twice, it's just upthread from here). That's why people are clarifying that PP is still an exception.

I have had some Multiple Experience passes that say they're good for SM and some that don't. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but yes, it's worth checking if you get one.

The last comment you replied to mentioned that you can use them at non-FP rides (she mentioned doing Finding Nemo twice, it's just upthread from here). That's why people are clarifying that PP is still an exception.

I have had some Multiple Experience passes that say they're good for SM and some that don't. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but yes, it's worth checking if you get one.

Huh, odd. I did miss that.

I mean technically the ME FP doesn't actually allow for it (not when I looked at list of allowed rides a couple weeks ago). Sounds like a YMMV situation. Or have the passes now changed to say this is allowed and the CMs just aren't fully informed yet? This is very interesting that they would allow usage on non-FP rides.

Do you happen to remember which rides turned into a ME FP that allowed for SM? And which didn't?

You can use the multiple experience pass at non-FP rides. But not Peter Pan.
Is this new? When I was there 2 weeks ago a CM told me the multiple experience FP was only valid at an attraction that uses FP. How does it work at a non FP attraction when there's no FP line?

Quick question.... we are headed to the parks tmw (9/4) we plan to head into CA first. It opens at 7:00 for EMH and 8:00 for general admission. We will be trying max pass for the first time. Is it correct that if we enter at 7:30 for general admission that it's possible to pull a fast pass right away (even though we don't have access yet for EMH?)

Huh, odd. I did miss that.

I mean technically the ME FP doesn't actually allow for it (not when I looked at list of allowed rides a couple weeks ago). Sounds like a YMMV situation. Or have the passes now changed to say this is allowed and the CMs just aren't fully informed yet? This is very interesting that they would allow usage on non-FP rides.

Do you happen to remember which rides turned into a ME FP that allowed for SM? And which didn't?
I think it may be a YMMV situation. But it's certainly possible and has been discussed several times on this thread. (I'm not implying you should have read the whole thing, just saying it's not a unique experience.)

Historically when you were on a ride and it broke down, you got a paper pass that got you into any other ride, FP or not. I mentioned way earlier in the thread that we used to always take those to Peter Pan even back before it got so crazy there! Soarin' broke down? Straight to Peter Pan. Stuck at the top of the Fun Wheel for 10 minutes? Off to Neverland!

I think that some CMs are treating these the same way. We used one for Casey Jr., and the PP mentioned Nemo. But you are correct that the screen just gives you a list of FP rides; that is still true and happened to us yesterday.

I know we had one from Splash that turned into a ME pass that was good on Space Mountain. I think the BTMR one did not. But these were weeks apart.

I think it may be a YMMV situation. But it's certainly possible and has been discussed several times on this thread. (I'm not implying you should have read the whole thing, just saying it's not a unique experience.)

Historically when you were on a ride and it broke down, you got a paper pass that got you into any other ride, FP or not. I mentioned way earlier in the thread that we used to always take those to Peter Pan even back before it got so crazy there! Soarin' broke down? Straight to Peter Pan. Stuck at the top of the Fun Wheel for 10 minutes? Off to Neverland!

I think that some CMs are treating these the same way. We used one for Casey Jr., and the PP mentioned Nemo. But you are correct that the screen just gives you a list of FP rides; that is still true and happened to us yesterday.

I know we had one from Splash that turned into a ME pass that was good on Space Mountain. I think the BTMR one did not. But these were weeks apart.

Actually I have read the entire thread and been following along since it began, but I know we all miss/overlook things and I'm no exception ;). I'm human. I miss things. But a pass good for non FP rides (that isn't tied to DAS) is definitely new to me. It's never been suggested to me as an option before in several trips. Not doubting, just amazed it's never come up in all my trips.

Getting a paper pass for a ride when it breaks down as a rule is new to me as well. I had to fight (not literally, of course, and I stayed polite while still being firm, but it certainly was a battle) to get a pass when Indy broke down on me right after I handed off my FP several months ago. The battle being that we were told we could "wait in line or talk to a CM and they would take care of us if we didn't want to stay in line", but when we did (talk to a CM for a pass because we had RSR FPs that were about to open up and didn't want to risk losing out on them), the CM insisted there was nothing they could do for us. I was not happy with the conflicting information and pushed it until we got a pass to return (which we then used to pull in a group of three strangers about to go in the stand by linewith us since it was good for six and we were only two on that trip).

Very interesting, though, that some have been able to use such things for non FP rides. Like I said, nothing I've encountered (and it's been very bluntly stated to me it was only for FP rides... That Indy return one I mentioned also did not allow for SM). I'll definitely ask about this next I'm there in October.

Thanks for the info on what ride's FP you recall being good for SM and which not. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on that as that's a shift from early reports anything but a formally SM FP working for SM.

Multi experience passes may be used at non fp rides.

Most Cast Members are not on the same page and will give you a different answers.

The plaid Cast Members aka the ones that should know everything don't always do.

When it comes to Multiple Experience FP I go directly to the CMs working the attraction.
I've checked with Autopia, Finding Nemo, Small World, Alice in wonderland, Pirates, and Jungle Cruise CMs and they all said they would accept the Multiple Experience pass. Of course that could change but as of now it works.

So my recommendation is to treat Multiple Experience FP as gold. Never use that pass for FP attractions unless the FP you want is sold out. If you can get a FP and a FP attraction is temporarily closed or has a quick return time, get that FP you will have a better chance of it turning into a MEP.

Last edited:
We were there August 26-30. We used MP for our full three days in the middle, but not for our afternoon arrival or our last day (we left about noon). It was wonderful - with a few bugs! In hindsight I would likely have gotten it for the arrival afternoon as well, mostly to get passes from the other park, although the main FP rides were all gone by then of course.
We had a couple of minor problems and one bigger glitch. On a couple of days including the first one it didn't like my credit card and it took about ten minutes to purchase MP (not that big a deal especially with crowds being lower due to heat). Second, we had a Soarin' FP for one afternoon (4:40-5:40). When we went to use it the FP line was brutal. The CM said it would be about 40 minutes (standby was posted at about 60 but I suspect it would have been longer). The CM said that in addition to the obvious one-screen problem there had been a couple of rides down which meant MP people got multiple experience passes. It seemed that many of those people chose Soarin', likely because the FPs were running out so early and the standby lines were always long. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove Soarin' from the multiple experience pass too.
The big glitch was Tuesday August 29 and was apparently quite widespread. Somehow two of our four park tickets were effectively cancelled when we entered the park park for EE. That was about a two-hour fix. City Hall had to issue new tickets to DH and DS18. They gave us two multiple experience passes to make up the time (I was told the rule of thumb is one FP per hour wait). As only one of us had to wait in line it wasn't as bad as it coils have been. The City Hall line was huge. I was so impressed though that every single person I saw was pleasant and polite to each other and the CMs. Tempers can fray in the crowds and heat but that didn't happen.
Overall it was great!

I wonder if it's like how some CMs will accept scanning an AP from the app for discounts despite the fact this is not technically allowed (app even says you need your physical AP card)? That they have the ability to do so and some are willing to do so?

In other words: something that isn't in writing as allowed, but CMs are using their discretion to allow it to happen? Unless there is something in writing somewhere it's allowed? Would explain the YMMV. But if it's an in writing rule, then it would be good to have that to show to a CM.

When there were reported issues getting the digital code at character dining early on, I had it pulled up on my phone that it was included in my Sig+. I didn't need it, but it was very good to have at the ready just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter