Max Occupancy in DVC Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is just the classic, 'It's easier to get forgiveness than to ask for permission'. :rolleyes1
Classic yes but one of honesty more than anything else.

I read on the community board that someone who went to a member meeting at SSR was told that MS has officially raised the occupancy limits in a 1BR to 5 adults. If true, this should take some of the heat out of this topic. They still will not provide extra linens.
I don't think they can officially raise the occupancy on existing resorts without changing the POS AND providing the appropriate sleeping arrangements and I doubt they'll change the POS. I think the semi official 5 in a 1 BR is about the best you'll get for those resorts that weren't built for 5 in a 1 BR or 9 in a 2 BR.

Question: First let me say that this doesn't apply to me & my visits, but I'm just curious.

If a 5th person is "unofficially" allowed in the 1-bdrm villa, is that 5th person issued a room key (for EMH & such). I know someone who has put 6, adults and children over 12. Does not sit well with me at all.

Yes, the 5th person in a one bedroom receives a room key, and falls under the rules of "everyone in the room " needs the same dining plan, if one is booked.

Question: First let me say that this doesn't apply to me & my visits, but I'm just curious.

If a 5th person is "unofficially" allowed in the 1-bdrm villa, is that 5th person issued a room key (for EMH & such). I know someone who has put 6, adults and children over 12. Does not sit well with me at all.
Semi official is likely a better way to look at it. From a legal paperwork standpoint the occupancies are set at a certain level. Years ago they routinely allowed 5, even 6 at times, in a studio, 6 in a 1 BR and 10 in a 2 BR. I'm thinking the change occurred in 2003 but it could have been 1 or 2 years earlier. What they did was tighten up their rules but still allow some flexibility along the lines being discussed here (4/5/9). The ONE under 3 is a Disney issue (? policy). Personally I don't think they should allow any flexibility at all but as long as their pretty consistent, I can live with it. Those that are dishonest and don't list all in the room are another matter, IMO.

Semi official is likely a better way to look at it. From a legal paperwork standpoint the occupancies are set at a certain level. Years ago they routinely allowed 5, even 6 at times, in a studio, 6 in a 1 BR and 10 in a 2 BR. I'm thinking the change occurred in 2003 but it could have been 1 or 2 years earlier. What they did was tighten up their rules but still allow some flexibility along the lines being discussed here (4/5/9). The ONE under 3 is a Disney issue (? policy). Personally I don't think they should allow any flexibility at all but as long as their pretty consistent, I can live with it. Those that are dishonest and don't list all in the room are another matter, IMO.

Well said...I totally agree.

I have been reading so many post.:surfweb:..WOW...OK we are in the research stage of maybe buying into DVC. I have a family of 5. The next time we visit my kids will be 4, 4, and 3. For right now a studio would really work find for us. Can I get a studio with 2 adults and 3 small kids...I know in the future we will want a 1br/2br as the boys get older.

Studio occupancy is 4, plus a child under the age of 3. Since your youngest is aleady 3 years old, you'd need to go to a one bedroom under DVC's current occupancy.

At OKW, AKV* (except value class rooms) and BLT, the one bedroom units have a sleeper chair in the living room in addition to the sofa sleeper.

*The AKV Value rooms are located in Jambo house (the original AK Lodge building) and are smaller, so they can not accommodate the sleeper chair, and I understand they are pretty strict there and do not allow 5 in those Value one bedroom units, unless one person is under age 3.

I talk to a DVC person today. She said they will let me have a studio with my 3 boys b/c we are all toddlers. I only want to do that for 1-2 more trips and then we will be starting to do 1br.

I talk to a DVC person today. She said they will let me have a studio with my 3 boys b/c we are all toddlers. I only want to do that for 1-2 more trips and then we will be starting to do 1br.

Do you already own points? What DVC person did you talk to? If you talk to a salesperson (also known as a Guide), they will tell you what you want to hear. Once the 2 yr old hits three, no more studios.

Get it in writing. It won't happen once you become a member.

Unless they were a person actually booking your stay I wouldn't count on being able to once you talk with member services. You might get away with it - if this person is your guide and they make the first reservation for you(buying in retail)- once you start dealing with MS I would say they will say I am sorry I can't have that many people on that room.

:laughing: too bad, the Tag Fairy doesn't visit DVC. A pretty funny possibility..

Do you already own points? What DVC person did you talk to? If you talk to a salesperson (also known as a Guide), they will tell you what you want to hear. Once the 2 yr old hits three, no more studios.

Get it in writing. It won't happen once you become a member.

OP's kids are all 3 or older now. I find it hard to believe that a MS CM told him or her that they could book 5 in a studio with all party members being 3 or older.

Ok, OP says next time they visit WDW kids will be 4, 4, and 3. You will not be allowed to have 5 in a studio if all 3 kids are indeed 3 or over. If one is still 2 at the time of travel, you will be ok.

I have been reading so many post.:surfweb:..WOW...OK we are in the research stage of maybe buying into DVC. I have a family of 5. The next time we visit my kids will be 4, 4, and 3. For right now a studio would really work find for us. Can I get a studio with 2 adults and 3 small kids...I know in the future we will want a 1br/2br as the boys get older.

You need to know that what a salesperson told you is not binding. It's is not part of any contractual agreement and not only is it untrue with your present circumstance, they would change it on you if they wanted.

Ok, OP says next time they visit WDW kids will be 4, 4, and 3. You will not be allowed to have 5 in a studio if all 3 kids are indeed 3 or over. If one is still 2 at the time of travel, you will be ok.

Disney's BoardWalk Villas Deluxe Studio - Garden or Pool View
Enjoy this lovely lakeside Resort steeped in the colors, charm and romance of an old-fashioned boardwalk.

Sleeps 5
1 queen-size bed & 1 full-size sleeper sofa
Kitchenette
Full bath

Where was this.. I thought you could only have 4 in a studio???
Thanks. :)

I see that now online.. but if you try to put 5 in the room it would not let me. i was just trying it to see what it says.. and yes if you put 4 people on the ressie the next page will say sleeps 5... odd.

:)

Enjoy this lovely lakeside Resort steeped in the colors, charm and romance of an old-fashioned boardwalk.

Sleeps 5
Kitchenette
Full bath
they will allow 5 if one is under 3.

Sleeps 5
Kitchenette
Full bath

I think it's a typo in the online system. For a 1 bedroom they show "Sleeps 4 – 5th guest can be accomodated, but must provide their own bedding and linens". So it doesn't make sense that they would show "sleeps 5" for a studio. I just looked and it is showing "sleeps 5" for standard & garden view and "sleeps 4" for boardwalk view.

I also saw that a 1 bedoom AKV Jambo club level has 2 full bathrooms, which is not correct. Looks like they corrected that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter