Maui planning, tips, and trip reports

-we really enjoyed the Hyatt Maui. We chose it somewhat because my DH is Globalist (highest status) so we got waived resort fees, free Club Level access and other benefits. Had an Ocean Front room and it was gorgeous. Wonderful daily housekeeping that was amazing! Beach had waves and pretty good snorkeling right at the beach. Rented covered beach bed on our resort days; well worth it. Great access to everything we wanted to do, and we could walk about 10-15 minute to Whaler’s Village. It was nice being close to it but not in the hustle and bustle.
Hyatt is very nice. My only negative on Hyatt is because it also does corporate events it seemed extremely crowded, especially pool area. Now i know all of the resorts pool areas fill up, but it just felt very tight and congested. Our favorite hotel is the Westin which is next to Whalers Village. Pools definitely get crowded but the adult pool we always found seats and pool was good. Not that I would stay at the Hyatt if someone offered me a stay. :D

Hi all! I know it’s not specifically Aulani, but lots of us do a combo with another island. Plus I just find I get the most descriptive reviews from DIS’ers!! So starting a Maui planning thread!! We’ll be there summer 2022. Would love to hear others’ plans and also learn from those going between now and then. Maui no ka oi!
Two great resources that we used.
1- “The ultimate Maui guidebook”. I just bought the Kauai book for a potential trip.
2- On youtube The Hawaii vacation Guide . They have a website as well. Its a husband and wife who live there. We have learned a lot but really like videos with them and their little guy (2 year old). Its our Sat morning Coffee show.

Since 2017 we have gone 5 time with 6th trip in July.

We have stayed in Ka’anapali area each time. Its a resort area that you can do without a car, unless you are going to road trip. You can rent a car at OGG where you will fly into and drop off at JHM which is just North of Ka’anapali. It can save you some dollars if you keep the car for just part of the trip, especially since parking fees at resorts can be $45 bucks a day plus resort fees. You can take snorkel, or sunset cruises right from beach.

We did zip line the pickup was in Kaanapali. I thought it was Eco tours but not 100% sure as a different company is at the location. While there is a jungle zip line, we selected one that the zip lines are up the Mountain in Lahaina I think it had 11 lines. You could see the Ocean or turn towards to Mountain, It was breath taking.

If you want an amazingly beautiful spot on Maui for some special pics, I highly recommend this one! It’s Pa’ako Beach, also known as Secret Beach (or Makena Cove, or Secret Cove, or….). Just trust google maps directions to Pa’ako Beach; it’s just south of Big Beach. There is street parking only, and the access is through a door-sized opening in a big rock wall (that you can’t see over). The “beach access” sign is totally covered with stickers. It’s not really suitable for snorkeling or swimming, except for experts, but for just photo-taking and relaxing, it’s superb. There’s a lot of shade too, if you really just want to chill for a while. Like everything else on Maui, go early before the crowds roll in. (And pardon that lady in the pic; she just wouldnt leave but I’ll take care of that soon…LOL)AD558A59-960A-46FA-A721-5338A77E3660.jpeg

If you’re looking for a short diversion or two, say after checkout but before your flight, I’ve got a couple of recommendations.

First is the Iao Needle. It’s $10 to park and $5 per person to enter, but it’s a lovely view. Lots of folks were there just sitting in the creek on a toasty afternoon. There is an easy paved incline up to the first small viewing area—nice view of the needle, the creek, and the garden. So if you have someone with mobility issues, they can still see some nice things. Then there are about 120 concrete steps up to the main overlook. This is the view from there, and you can see all the way to the ocean. Recommend reading the history before you go, because the signage was oddly vague for a historical site. Anyway, it’s gorgeous for a 30 minute investment. Right now the main restrooms are closed (like many in Maui—get) but they have several portables.0D89A9CB-2706-49A2-BD29-5EF61CC4E430.jpeg

Second is Ka’a Point kite beach. It’s right by the harbor (like 5 minutes from the airport too), across from Kanaha Pond bird sanctuary. Unfortunately the sanctuary is closed until August due to circumstances I declined to finish reading on the sign LOL. In looking for a place to turn around, I stumbled on this point. My jaw literally dropped when I topped the path walking out to it. The photo just can’t capture how intensely aqua the water is there!! It’s amazing! And there were tons of kitesurfers there to watch. And there is plenty of dry sand viewing area, so you can easily just brush your feet off before you take your rental car directly to turn in LOL Sorry for the cell phone pic but if you zoom in to the right of the dead tree, you can see a bunch of the kites. I’d seen them at Ho’okipa Beach before, but you can really get a better feel for how fast they’re moving here, I guess because you’re closer to them. Nice little diversion.8B9677DA-DEE4-458F-9886-EE245027EDF8.jpeg377B62CA-95D6-4E3B-ADFF-885B5588E6FE.jpeg

Last edited:
I just can’t go to Hawaii without doing a luau! After Covid, most of the luaus bade done changes, so I basically looked in detail at all of them. First of all, the prices increased dramatically, so expect this to be a major expense. Most of the pre-luau activities (tattoos, lei-making, etc) were eliminated from most luaus so that was a bummer for me, as we really enjoyed that stuff. I have a couple of picky eaters, so the menus were important (and sadly ruled out Feast at Lele, which sounds amazing). I also have a very short DD who adores the show, so upfront seating is important. The cool upfront mat seating and the perennial great reviews pushed me toward Old Lahaina luau, but the lack of a fire knife dance is a dealbreaker for me. MUST HAVE!

And I really wanted one in the Wailea area so we could walk or take the hotel shuttle, so that narrowed it down. The menu for the Andaz luau sounded great, but it turned out to be the most expensive one on all of Maui. So we actually ended up choosing the Te Au Moana luau at the Wailea Beach Resort by Marriott (the night before we checked in there, actually). I knew I wanted premium seating ($275 each—ouch!!) and tables are assigned in order of booking. So I watch that thing every day until it opened; they open the bookings a month at a time, about two months in advance. Evidently my Disney ressie stalking training paid off, because we were literally front row center, and the other four from our 8-person table had double-booked and cancelled. So that worked out amazing, because we had food for 8 ;) Not that we needed it, but you can bet we ate all the poke and pineapple LOL Out server said the leftovers go to the pig farm where they purchase the pigs for the luau, so I thought that was a fantastic use of all that uneaten food.

In short, we thought the food ranged from ok (Italian dressing on the salad??) to good (they were grilling the steaks right there by the bar!) to quite tasty (grilled mahi with pineapple salsa, the poke, and the purple sweet potatoes all stood out). But the entertainment was amazing. It was a small group (like 10), plus a four person band and the hostess, and they killed it. First off, props to the band who did indeed perform Tiny Bubbles in the pre-show. Bold move and they pulled it off LOL Our seats were so close that we could smell the flowers in the hostesses haku lei (and all their flowers were actually real). As part of the “warm up” show, while we ate, they did onstage all of the demonstrations that you’d normally watch at different stations before being seated. So we saw coconut husking, kapa cloth making, etc. from our comfortable seats; it was actually better that way. And then when we got to the actual main show, the dancing was just AMAZING. And a couple of those girls could let out some blood-curdling screeches—I mean, they had the Māori intimidation thing down to an art! I just can’t say enough about how good the performance was. Coupled with really good food overall and amazing spot right on the beach, I’d highly recommend this luau, even at that price. Couple of shots here from my phone; I’ll try to remember to edit and update with actual camera pics. 5B2EEBFC-D1F6-4B7A-9F63-0C12C8F9E9F9.jpeg7BC70BB5-09A9-4E0D-837B-23FF59DC9E08.jpegC6D511F4-B05A-46A3-AE08-FD6DD6419BF2.jpeg

I also love the Te Au Moana luau because the ocean is behind the stage making for an incredible backdrop especially in winter when whales are breaching! Many of the other luaus aren't set up with the ocean behind the stage.

Just photos as I switch from Aulani to Maui…

30DED76F-9B71-4457-8750-1E2EAC84EB90.jpeg4BB1D481-D13B-4505-BA9D-4CC856AD25BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 40CB9C9B-FA7D-445A-B2DB-6EF74175D3F0.jpeg
    40CB9C9B-FA7D-445A-B2DB-6EF74175D3F0.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1
That luau at the Wailea Marriott is my favorite on the islands. You perfectly described why I like it so much--really good across the board (maybe not the BEST food or the BEST drinks or the BEST entertainment, but anyplace that beats it in one of those areas is significantly deficient in the others).

@havoc315 great shot of the lava tube at Wai’anapanapa! You’re very talented. Is that the Andaz luau? Great shots there too. Hope you’re having a great visit! Come back and give us some details later—I’m in serious withdrawal!

@havoc315 great shot of the lava tube at Wai’anapanapa! You’re very talented. Is that the Andaz luau? Great shots there too. Hope you’re having a great visit! Come back and give us some details later—I’m in serious withdrawal!

yes and yes…. Full trip report coming.

Oh man…the Andaz is gorgeous! I said if we hit the lottery we’re going back and staying there the whole time! Enjoy!! We really enjoyed Morimioto if you get a chance to check it out. The Wagyu filet was delicious—as was everything else.

Didn’t love Morimoto’s to be honest.

Didn’t love Morimoto’s to be honest.
Aw, I’m sorry. It was our 25th anniversary so we might’ve been looking through rose-colored glasses. That fabulous location didn’t hurt. The Andaz is just awesome.

Just back from oahu and maui! had a great time. did not get to do everything that we planned and although I had saved many recommendations from this thread did not get to try that many places mentioned here! We did a tour for the road to Hana and it was so worth it! Kids loved it. Oh my the bathrooms though on the road are so gross I am glad I brought potty toppers and cottonelle wipes. Our fancy dinner in maui was spago at the four seasons. Gorgeous hotel - my kids were asking why we didnt stay there. haha. overall liked the food better in Oahu. Picked up some maui gold pineapples from whole foods on the way to airport - got a good price!

Just back from oahu and maui! had a great time. did not get to do everything that we planned and although I had saved many recommendations from this thread did not get to try that many places mentioned here! We did a tour for the road to Hana and it was so worth it! Kids loved it. Oh my the bathrooms though on the road are so gross I am glad I brought potty toppers and cottonelle wipes. Our fancy dinner in maui was spago at the four seasons. Gorgeous hotel - my kids were asking why we didnt stay there. haha. overall liked the food better in Oahu. Picked up some maui gold pineapples from whole foods on the way to airport - got a good price!
Glad you had a great trip!! Yes, the potties can be tough; we go prepared too LOL And had trouble with lots of places not letting you use theirs, even as a customer.

We didn’t get to do everything we’d planned either (STILL didn’t get to paddle a canoe!)…but that just leaves stuff to do next time!! Come back and give us all the details once you figure out what time zone you’re in! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter