Maui planning, tips, and trip reports

We just came back from our split stay at Aulani on Oahu & The West Inn Maui Resort & Spa in Maui. It was my first time. I liked all the pools, lazy river but especially enjoyed the adults only infinity hot tubs. So much fun! Drinks were good, food was good, all was good accept I didn't like the man made beach at Aulani as the sand was gritty and not soft like a real beach. I also enjoyed The West inn. They had adult pools & hot tubs, good drinks & food but the food cost so much more in Maui than at Aulani. I was actually surprised at the good prices on food at Aulani. This was our honeymoon trip so adults only and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and it was very relaxing. We went to Pearl Harbor, the Dole Plantation, snorkeling & did a luau all in 6 days/6 nights. I loved the rainbow pancakes with my new favorite coconut syrup at eggs & things. I hope you all enjoy your trip as we did.
Coconut syrup is amazing!! After I had it on the red velvet Iron Man waffles at Aulani, I bought a bottle to bring home. Talk about gambling with your luggage!! (I did have a Ziploc bag but still)

Glad you had a great honeymoon trip :) Tell us where you went on Maui and of course which luau you did. That’s always a hot topic.

Coconut syrup is amazing!! After I had it on the red velvet Iron Man waffles at Aulani, I bought a bottle to bring home. Talk about gambling with your luggage!! (I did have a Ziploc bag but still)

Glad you had a great honeymoon trip :) Tell us where you went on Maui and of course which luau you did. That’s always a hot topic.
I also bought a bottle of coconut syrup. I had to! I went to the Luau at my resort at the West inn. The Luau was called Wailele Luau. It was really good. The food was ok. The show was awesome. It was pretty expensive as it was on Easter but the convenience made it totally worth it. The only other place we went on Maui was snorkeling. We took a trip with Trology tours. I highly recommend them. Our tour included a continental breakfast & a chicken salad and rice lunch. I also liked that you could walk to the shopping center Whalers Village next door from my resort. There were restaurants in the shopping center there also. They had everything right there so there was no need to leave. You could even take snorkeling or other tours right there also. At the West Inn they had entertainment just like Aulani did. They had where you could feed the koi fish in the mornings, make a Lei training class, and hula dancing, live music in the evenings at the resort. All free with your stay there which was nice. They have animals like flamingos & parrots too. The ocean view from my room was amazing! So worth looking into.

Attachments

• 20220418_191912.jpg
    20220418_191912.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220418_191259.jpg
    20220418_191259.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6
We just came back from our split stay at Aulani on Oahu & The West Inn Maui Resort & Spa in Maui.

Are you referring to the Westin Maui Resort & Spa on Kaanapali Beach?

I didn't like the man made beach at Aulani as the sand was gritty and not soft like a real beach.

We did five weeks at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, very close to the Westin, and four at Aulani and thought the sand on both beaches was pretty comparable. The sand for the lagoons is from the island of Lanai.

Are you referring to the Westin Maui Resort & Spa on Kaanapali Beach?

We did five weeks at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, very close to the Westin, and four at Aulani and thought the sand on both beaches was pretty comparable. The sand for the lagoons is from the island of Lanai.
Yes it was the West inn at Kaanapali.

It may have been the lagoon I went to it was the beach right outside of the pool areas at Aulani and the sand was very coarse not like regular beaches.

Starting today, Wai’anapanapa beach reservations can be made 30 days in advance instead of 14. Just don’t reserve all my days!! 😝

Just wanted to say hi to this thread and invite anyone to PM me questions if they'd like. I'm a third-generation born & raised Maui native, live in California now but visit the family at home at least once a year.

A lot of the restaurants changed after COVID, was disappointed there aren't as many locations of Da Kitchen as before, but there have been some fabulous new eateries that have opened up.

Some weird things that you might want to try when you visit there that friends whom I've taken have loved: McDonald's Fruit Punch. Get some if you like sweet drinks. It's special. We used to have gallons of the stuff brought to the sports games when we were kids. (They also serve Spam, saimin, and Portugese sausage at McDonald's there but those versions are meh.) If you're a pet lover, the Maui Humane Society is a really different experience from shelters on the mainland as there is no rabies on the island, you can essentially walk in and sit in a large room and have cats wander all over you, it is relaxing (also visit the tortoise, etc). Guri guri in the Maui Mall (not far from the airport) is also a unique treat, its sort of a cross between sorbet and ice cream.

Love all the tips. Our first time this summer with week on Maui then week on Oahu
Staying in condos as TS owners get huge discounts to rent an extra week-money saved in accommodations means more money to play with lol!
For Maui so far-have Haleakala sunrise reservations made, RTH private/small group tour booked with Temptation tours (drive up, helicopter back), Feast at Lele luau. We have friends and family on Maui we want to see so not packing every day full.
Oahu-condo is near Diamond Head in Waikiki-will get reservations there, and Pearl Harbor when window opens. Looking at a tour at Kualoa Ranch and sunset catamaran cruise. We will be there over July 4th so expect it’s gonna be crazy. Have dinner reservations July 4 for Hula Grill at 6:30.

so many things to choose to do it’s hard to not overschedule!

I also bought a bottle of coconut syrup. I had to! I went to the Luau at my resort at the West inn. The Luau was called Wailele Luau. It was really good. The food was ok. The show was awesome. It was pretty expensive as it was on Easter but the convenience made it totally worth it. The only other place we went on Maui was snorkeling. We took a trip with Trology tours. I highly recommend them. Our tour included a continental breakfast & a chicken salad and rice lunch. I also liked that you could walk to the shopping center Whalers Village next door from my resort. There were restaurants in the shopping center there also. They had everything right there so there was no need to leave. You could even take snorkeling or other tours right there also. At the West Inn they had entertainment just like Aulani did. They had where you could feed the koi fish in the mornings, make a Lei training class, and hula dancing, live music in the evenings at the resort. All free with your stay there which was nice. They have animals like flamingos & parrots too. The ocean view from my room was amazing! So worth looking into.
Assuming you mean Westin Resort. Happy to hear about the activities as we are staying there too!!

For anyone stalking Wai’anapanapa beach reservations, they are dropping them at midnight Hawaii time for the 30 days out. So at midnight last night, June 11 became available. I believe all the Maui county parks moving to reservations are on that same time schedule.

Also, all my Disney ADR stalking paid off and I got my slots. I was stalking this thing like it was Dine with Shirtless Chris Pratt at Space 220 LOL

We enjoyed a stay at the Kaanapali Alii. It is between the Westin and Marriott resorts on Kaanapali beach. The property falls under the Hyatt family and the units are condos with full kitchens. Our 1 BR unit has a king bed and there is a small ”den” off the living room with a double bed. This was nice for the third person to have a bed instead of sleeping on a sofa bed. The pool is not as elaborate as some of the big hotels nearby, but it is very nice and it is not crowded.

If you’re looking for free and/or local things yo do on Maui, CalendarMaui.com has a day-by-day list of all the free hula shows, farmers markets, craft fairs, and other community events (group runs, cruise-ins, etc). From the time I’ve been watching it, it seems to be kept up-to-date too. Happy planning!!

Aloha from Maui!! Some random tidbits as I go along this week…happy to check on anything if anyone has specific questions, too!

-Be prepared for a major deja Vu when you step out and see the new rental car team station! I swear I thought I was at Disney!!! Dark and tired so didn’t get a pic. The new rental car area is awesome and was in and out super fast. I highly recommend Enterprise. I’ve used them on four islands and they are the nicest folks.
-The haupia pie from McDs was good—but I still like the guava better! I think I prefer my haupia cold.

Our last trip to Maui was via the Pride of America, so in our two days on Maui we went to Haleakala one day and Hana one day. I fell in love with the black sand beach at Wai’anapanapa state park, so I really wanted to spend more time there this trip, and the best way to do that was to stay in Hana a couple of nights. I don’t like the variability that can come with condos, so I’m usually a hotel-stayer. However, that’s not really an option in Hana. But I’m very pleased to say that Hana Kai Maui has been a delight! Fully stocked with everything we have needed, plus a vase of fresh tropical flowers—such a lovely touch. And the view from the bed of Keanini #3 is pretty okay 🤩F963B5E7-E94E-463A-9618-48592A980E34.jpeg

I like flying but I was always hesitant to take my kids in a small aircraft or helicopter (I know the odds, but I also know enough about aircraft to be leery). But now that they’re adults (legally anyway LOL), I decided it was time. Fly Maui is a flight school based in Kahului, run by a couple originally from Arkansas. They also do a really fun Hawaii planning podcast called Aloha 360. Based on my experience, I highly recommend them!!

This flight was an awesome way to see what the topography of Maui really looks like—you just can’t see it like this from the ground. We took off from Kahului heading south, saw Oprah’s estate, saw the Kihei/Wailea coast, La Perouse lava flow, peeked over into Haleakala crater, touched down in Hana (3600 foot runway), switched student pilots, and continued on W/NW to Kahului. In total, that was right at a 1.5 hour flight. I can’t describe how gorgeous it was and it was an awesome opportunity to let my kids get a taste of actually flying a plane. Here’s my favorite pic (from my phone, anyway)—on approach to Hana airport with Wai’anapanapa at left. LOVE.

8E85BDC2-38C0-4D51-93BC-4FC3B4A3DCD2.jpeg

May I ask if anyone knows whether or not advance reservations on the Ferry to Lanai are a must, or if one can simply wait just until travel day to purchase tickets?
We did this last year. We booked a day or 2 before. Mai reason is we wanted to make sure we could get on ferry when we wanted to 945 AM.
Below is the link to book. Whats nice is you see live availability. Wasnt a problem but we were there in July and if I recall some times booked up. Looks like currently only 2 AM runs and 2 PM runs.

If you have a car its no problem to get to Lahaina Harbor. We’re staying in Kaanapali and most resort shuttles dont start that early. We took the local bus into town, Beach at Lanai was beautiful. We went in to the town, took a shuttle that brings you into town and to car/Jeep rental. Shuttle no Resv was needed.
https://go-lanai.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter