March 4-11 2023 Trip - Family of 4

TerpsBBall

Earning My Ears
BACKGROUND: My family and I just returned from a nice week in Disney (March 4-11), and I thought I’d jot down some reflections. We are a family of 4 from Maryland (wife and I – 50s, son – 21, daughter – 19). We were concerned about the crowds, but from some research and info from folks here, we figured we were going to be about a week ahead of the spring break tsunami. This turned out to be 100% correct.

TRAVEL PLANS: Our daughter attends school in North Carolina, and she was on her spring break. So, we drove from our home in Maryland, picked her up, and then flew from Raleigh to Orlando. The flight was about 1 hr and 20 minutes. We flew Southwest. I booked early and kept checking the fares, and they did drop a few times. I was able to get some flight credits (which now do not expire). We planned some other activities, so we had a rental car. Even if we didn’t have other stuff planned, we like the freedom of having our own car.

RESORT: We booked Port Orleans – French Quarter (POFQ). We’ve stayed here before and enjoy it. We were in Building 3 this time but have previously stayed in Building 1. We like being in the buildings on the right side after entering the property. The rooms are nice, clean, and are in easy walking distance from the main building and boat dock. We did use the boats for transportation to Disney Springs.

We had no issue with the room other than the safe was on the fritz. The batteries were dead, and a call to the front desk had them replaced within 5 minutes. However, we soon realized the batteries were dead because the backlight on the keypad would fluctuate between on and off constantly, draining the batteries. I typically pack a roll of duct tape to seal up the liquids in the checked bag(s), so I used this to cover the keypad. Otherwise, it was like a pulsating green nightlight 24/7. The safe is of good size and a 15" laptop will easily fit, along with some other odds and ends.

If you’ve stayed at POFQ, you know all about the beignets. If you’ve never been there, you need to try them. They are awesome. They are sold in either 3 or 6. We always got 6, and the cost was about $11.75, which included 2 dipping sauces.

PARK PLANS: We purchased park hopper passes in conjunction with our vacation package and made the necessary park reservations in advance.

We also purchased Genie+ every day. Prices were $18 (twice), $20 (twice), $22 (once), and $25 (once). The $25 price was at the end of the week (last day we were there) when the crowd levels significantly increased. I bought these prior to 7am each day. Sometimes, I made the purchase when I got up around 6. Other times, if I woke up in the middle of the night, I simply rolled over and hit purchase on my phone and went back to sleep. At no time during the week did Genie+ sell out. The crowds at the beginning of the week were very manageable (to a point we often considered light), and we wouldn’t hesitate to go again at this time. We did not purchase any Individual Lightning Lanes (ILLs). Our plan was to get a Lightning Lane (LL) for one ride, and rope drop another. We also took advantage of the Early Theme Park Entry (ETPE). We left the hotel each day to get to the respective parking lot 1 hour before ETPE. This ensured we were close to the front of the lines.

I had a short list of our top picks loaded in Genie+ in the event our first choice was unavailable (I didn’t want to spend time scrolling down for the alternate choice), and one of the kids gave me a countdown to 7am. At about 1-2 seconds before 7, I would select the “Attractions & Shows” heading on the phone (FYI…this is an iPhone). This would refresh the screen as would pulling down on it. I just found this to be a little quicker. Something else I also noticed was if you select an attraction to get more details on it, the next time you refresh, it will sometimes refresh back to that attraction. Anyway, we didn’t have an issue getting our desired LL, so we started each park with 1 LL and a rope drop plan.

In Magic Kingdom, we used a LL for Big Thunder and rope-dropped Space Mountain. With ETPE, they hold you just prior to Tomorrowland. At about 3 minutes before ETPE, they will walk you down to Space Mountain. Once we rode that, we hit Buzz Lightyear. We could easily ride that 2-3 times in a row with no line. Our rationale in rope-dropping Space Mountain versus Big Thunder was nothing else that close to Big Thunder (that we were interested in...Splash Mountain being closed) was included in ETPE. Once we finished up Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear, we would head over to Adventureland for Big Thunder and Pirates. Once we did Big Thunder, we then started booking/using LLs for the rest of the day. We had no problem getting LLs. We rode many things, many times.

Hollywood Studios and Epcot were conducted in a similar fashion. We’re not Star Wars people, so we didn’t do stuff there. It was a shame Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster was closed. We are eating a snack over there one day and did hear several Bon Jovi songs playing (not sure if that means anything or not). We typically rope-dropped Runaway Railway in Hollywood (LL was Slinky Dog). Once we did the Runaway Railway, we could ride Toy Story Mania 2-3 times before our Slinky Dog LL. Then, after Slinky Dog, we could get a LL for Toy Story or anything else we wanted to do and keep the LLs rolling from there. Epcot was similar. We rope-dropped Frozen and got a LL for Remy’s. We walked on Test Track at ETPE and used the single rider line at different times during the day. The wait for Soarin’ was typically lower, and we did get LLs for that as well as walk on. We easily used 5-7 LLs a day. Each day, we were typically out of the parks by 2. However, we did come back to some at night, so we stacked multiple LLs ahead of time.

At Epcot, my daughter and I did join the virtual cue for Guardians of the Galaxy. For this one, I had her join the cue at 7am, while I got a LL for another ride. She was able to get cue #36. Initially, the projected wait was almost 6 hours (around 1pm), but that updated regularly and decreased (you can track it on the app). I think it wound up being about 10:30-11 when we rode it. We still waiting in line for about 30 minutes or so with the virtual cue. As far as the ride went, she loved it. Me, not so much. It hauls tail and spins at the same time. The spinning got me. I didn’t lose my breakfast, but I had to sit on the curb for a few minutes when I got off. If the ride had gone on for another minute or so, there might have been an unplanned relocation of the pop tarts I ate that morning. Regardless, I did enjoy the first half of the ride, and it was very well done overall.

Overall, Genie+ is what you make of it. It does require more attention paid to your phone, which is distracting, but one advantage over the old FastPass system is with Genie+, you don’t have to physically be at the ride to get a LL. I used my cell data (we have Verizon) versus Disney’s Wi-Fi. However, I did notice my signal dropped in the back part of Adventureland by Pirates. When back there, I switched to their Wi-Fi. I also lost service inside some of the rides (i.e., when you go deep inside like Pirates), but that didn’t matter, because I wasn’t trying to do anything anyway but enjoy the ride. As soon as we came out of the ride, it was fine. I would also occasionally set an alarm to remind me to book another LL if I knew there was going to be more than a 2-hour interval (e.g., when I was stacking for a return trip at night). I like the Genie+ system, except the fluctuating cost. That’s just another revenue grab. The last time we went, it was a $15 flat charge. We were also able to purchase it entirely in advance, which was super-convenient. If Disney wants to use the rationale of “too many people were buying it at $15”, then raise the flat fee to what the average fluctuating fee has been (which is a data point I know they have or can easily get). Also, as a perk to those staying on property, let those guests have the option of buying it in advance of their trip.

FOOD: We’ve done table service stuff before, and everyone’s tastes are different, so I don’t want to offer any opinions. For the past few times we’ve gone, we’ve done all quick service. We’ve found all to be quite good. Personal favorites include the Fruit Waffle at Sleep Hollow, Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese at the ABC Commissary, and the Loaded Fries at the Regal Smokehouse. Mobile ordering is VERY convenient and efficient. One note…Aloha Isle no longer does mobile order. They have a cast member at the end of the line directing you to a register. It works very well. I asked a cast member about the end of mobile order there and he said it was just slamming them.

We took bottled water and snacks with us each day. The bottled water saved us about $16/meal in drinks.

OTHER ACTIVITIES: Besides Disney, we also took in Kennedy Space Center. This was done in ½ day and was well worth it. We also did a ropes course at Orlando Tree Trek (also excellent, but quite physical at times), and Gatorland. One night, we booked a spot at Top Golf. We went on Tuesday, which is ½ price. You can make a reservation 1 week in advance, which we did, as it gets crowded. Even if you stink at golf, like me, it’s still a great time. The food is pretty good, too.

Hope this helps. Holler with any questions.

Thanks for sharing- you included a lot of great information in your report. It was helpful to hear about your experience with Genie+. Will try for the first time this spring and see how it goes 😉.

Thanks for sharing! I especially liked your tip on hitting shows and attractions to refresh, that does seem faster than pulling down to refresh.

Thanks for sharing. I was there the same week (3/3-3/10), and I agree the crowds picked up as the week went on. I was at Hollywood Studios on 3/5 until about 3 and then MK the rest of the night with a Tron preview. Both of those parks were less crowded on the Sunday compared to when I visited them later in the week (MK on Wednesday and HS on Thursday).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter