Marathon Weekend 2023

On a completely DIFFERENT note...

OKW vs SS for a studio. Anyone have opinions? We have stayed at OKW 2x (one night in a 2br during covid stuff *POR upgrade*, and then this past MW in a 1br. I like how quiet it is at OKW, and that there are hot tubs at the quiet pools. I don't like that I can be almost a mile from the HH for the bus to the race, and I don't like that all of the food options are basically in one spot. We have never stayed at SS, but I like the potential for tons of easy food options with DS being *right there.*
We have stayed in Studios at both. I loved how quiet OKW was, so peaceful but we didn’t love the room. I missed having a sofa and also didn’t care for the connecting door location, was a bit noisier than I would have liked. With SS, you are right about the food options at the Springs.

Well, I haven't been running runDisney for 30 years, but I have for about 10 now and can only say that runDisney's customer service in that time has always been abysmal. rD and parks are different entities and their customer service typically quite different. Until recently that is when the parks decided to have lousy customer service as well.

And, I'm not apologizing for rD nor making excuses. I'm merely saying they have no incentive to change when they have demand like they do. You can argue about future harm and eventually losing business, but I suspect they know that they can likely quickly make up for past harms with things like incentives and discounts should it become necessary to keep registrations high. That might prove to be wrong and a risky gamble, but I tend to doubt it. Look, I'm a Disney addict and enabler. I continue to give them my money, so why would they change? For me, personally, I just don't feel like I have much right to complain when I continue to gobble up the product.

I wish they seemed to give two cents about how their clientele feels, but it just seems clear to me that they don't which only really leaves me with two choices and I just.can't.quit.them. Sigh.
Yep, it's baffling because RD consistently puts together great race weekends but if I ever have to contact them I don't expect to hear a response for at least a couple of weeks. I joke that it's due to staffing but who knows, it's weird. I'll just say that the customer service rep discussed here sounds a little burnt out. It stinks, RD had an awful day and their CSRs, who had nothing to do with the core tech issues, have to bear the brunt of it.

(These might also be *new* CSRs, which doesn't help, and isn't a Disney-specific problem)

Yep, it's baffling because RD consistently puts together great race weekends but if I ever have to contact them I don't expect to hear a response for at least a couple of weeks. I joke that it's due to staffing but who knows, it's weird. I'll just say that the customer service rep discussed here sounds a little burnt out. It stinks, RD had an awful day and their CSRs, who had nothing to do with the core tech issues, have to bear the brunt of it.

(These might also be *new* CSRs, which doesn't help, and isn't a Disney-specific problem)

I think a big part of this is Disney, not RunDisney. I know that may be no consolation or even not matter to some folks, but my understanding is that RunDisney has an extremely small, almost skeleton, staff. Calls and emails to them are often (or used to be) routed to general Disney support cast members without the knowledge or expertise to address the issue. It's been a running joke on here for years that you're more likely to get accurate info on this board than by calling the RunDisney line. Although I will say that up until this registration, my impression was that that situation was improving.

This poor Disney training/compartmentalization isn't limited to RunDisney/Disney, either. I've been given definitive ticket information by CMs over the phone only to find out when I got to the park, that information was straight up wrong. I think Disney has gotten too big and specialized to provide adequate support through generalists over the phone. It doesn't help that there's probably been massive turnover lately, resulting in the loss of a lot of knowledgeable cast members.

Not in IT, but came up with a hypothesis after thinking about what worked for @Novatrix and I, where we selected the 5K option after registration opened at 12:30 and were both given less than 5 min waits. Was wondering if the spot you are assigned in the virtual queue is related to the race you click on on the main page.

My hypothesis is that the link you click assigns you a line spot based on the historical sell-out time of a race. Since the 5K sells out quicker than Dopey, or the marathon, an hour queue spot would essentially eliminate the possibility of registering for that race. Compared to someone registering for Dopey, an hour should not eliminate the ability to register (most years.)

This is only supported by two anecdotal accounts, and I know it's giving Disney IT a lot of credit, but just a thought. Would be curious to see peoples posted queue times with regard to what race they selected.
i selected only DOPEY slots and had one window appear with "less than a minute" or "you are next" or something like that...I was literally one of the first on these boards to get completed. It took me longer to post than it did to finish my signup.

but that was for one Dopey window - half of others were "over 1 hour" and a couple were "30 or 40 minutes" but those also kept changing

We may be staying at Swolphin for the first part of our trip since I can't get us into Shades of Green for the first few days. That means my runners would be catching the race buses from Swolphin. Is it better to be on the Swan or Dolphin side (or Swan Reserve??) or is it irrelevant?
When I stayed in Dolphin for one of the Star Wars race weekends, I actually walked over to Swan since the rD buses started there first. I don't think Swan Reserve existed then.

Yes, I know off topic, but Disney stock is down 5.5% today and is at a 52-week low. Didn't we give them all the money we could yesterday?
I know I gave them too much yesterday! It's also one of the worst performing stocks on the DOW for the last 12 months. Might be some new leadership soon...

We may be staying at Swolphin for the first part of our trip since I can't get us into Shades of Green for the first few days. That means my runners would be catching the race buses from Swolphin. Is it better to be on the Swan or Dolphin side (or Swan Reserve??) or is it irrelevant?

I stayed at Swan for MW and Dolphin for Springtime. I drove to the races, but they both had their own buses in the morning. I think the reserve had to walk to the swan. Swan, Dolphin, BC, YC & BW all share a bus coming back from the races.

I stayed at Swan for MW and Dolphin for Springtime. I drove to the races, but they both had their own buses in the morning. I think the reserve had to walk to the swan. Swan, Dolphin, BC, YC & BW all share a bus coming back from the races.

The pro for the S&D is that it drops off first on the way back - but has to do the whole circuit in the morning. Staying at BW, we would get off at the Swan and walk - it was faster than staying on the bus.

Anyone looked at the rates yet for S&D? They seem incredibly high compared to what I was seeing for Jan 22. Of course I wasn't looking this far out last year.

i selected only DOPEY slots and had one window appear with "less than a minute" or "you are next" or something like that...I was literally one of the first on these boards to get completed. It took me longer to post than it did to finish my signup.

but that was for one Dopey window - half of others were "over 1 hour" and a couple were "30 or 40 minutes" but those also kept changing
Gotcha, so I guess it may truly be random after all. All of mine I had Dopey selected, and were all over an hour, and the random 5k I selected took me right in.

I am staying at AKL for MW because I love the resort and it is fun to be in with plenty of food options. But I have no experience with it for race weekends.
I have stayed at both POR and POFQ for race weekends. POR especially is a fav of mine. For race weekends, the busses were convenient. We stayed in a preferred room and were so close to the front bus stop. Super convenient. Some races the 2 have shared a bus. Others not. For Princess they did so depending on the direction the driver took, you could be on the bus for a while. Didn't bother me, but it does some people. Also plenty of busses and no problems getting one, at least for the early busses.

I am also staying at AKL for MW2023. First time staying there. I stayed at POR for MW2022. Turned out to be a great choice. I always drive to Epcot in the mornings. Super easy drive, especially for the 5k and 10k. Our room was in the building right next to the main lobby and food court. Loved that. Especially going to get food after the races.

For you and others curious on the past POT runDisney system. Can't say definitively they will continue to use the same system.

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

View attachment 663828

An example on how to use the above:

A runner has a 1:58:00 HM time that is POT submittable.
-If they run the HM as a solo event and submit the 1:58 HM time, then they will be assigned s1. That is because the HM time is less than 2 hours. See bottom table.
-If they run the M as a solo event and submit the 1:58 HM time, then they will be assigned s3 for the M. That is because the HM time is between 1:53:46-2:07:48 which is the estimated bucket for s3.
-If they run Dopey and submit the 1:58 HM time, then they will be assigned s3 for the HM and M. That is because the HM time is between 1:53:46-2:07:48 which is the estimated bucket for s3. In some years, the 1:58 HM POT would mean a s3 for the 5k/10k (despite having 5k/10k estimated paces at registration), and in other years they've assigned you based on the 5k/10k estimated pace submission at registration (editable up to the POT deadline).

So if you're running either the M/Goofy/Dopey, then you look at the top table. If you're running the HM as a solo event (or a HM Challenge weekend that doesn't include a M), then you look at the bottom table.

McMillan uses T2=T1 X (D2/D1)^1.07 for both the conversion of HM to M and for 10k to HM. So using the above table I've generated you can see there are advantages to submitting certain POT distances depending on the race you're doing.

-If you're doing the M/Goofy/Dopey, then it's most advantageous to submit a 10 miler. That's because the POT calculator they use for M/Goofy/Dopey treats all distances equally at a roughly 1.079 Riegel value. Since they're all equal in conversion, an individual runner is most likely to achieve the 10 miler time threshold before they can meet either the HM or M threshold. For an example above, it's more likely a runner can do a 1:35 10 miler than a 2:07 HM or 4:30 M.

-If you're doing the HM solo event (or a HM as part of a non-M challenge such as Fairy Tale), then it's more advantageous to aim for a 10 miler or M. The 10k appears to be receiving a conversion of 1.055 (pretty standard value). But the 10 miler and M oddly appear to be much lower at 1.015 and 1.124. So in my opinion you're more likely to hit the 10 mile or M time, than your are the 10k or HM time. For an example above, I think it's easier to hit a 1:42 10 miler or 4:54 M, then it is to hit a 2:15 HM or 1:01 10k.

Edit to Add - If you're ever curious about the POT cutoffs, reach out to runDisney. They will tell you where you fall using their calculator. They will not share the calculation. But an accumulation of data has allowed me to come up with a reasonable estimate

This is AMAZING thank you!

QQ - I've not done a RunDisney race since the A, B, C all the way to I, J K days. If you're in S3 for example are you all in the same coral or does each S get split over a few corals? Thanks!

I stayed at the Swan Reserve for both MW and Springtime Surprise this year. No bus specifically for the Reserve (although they say they're working on it), so had to walk over to the Swan. I had great experiences with the busses there though. The Swan is the first stop both picking up and dropping off. That's great for dropping off obviously, but also for the mornings quite a few times the bus would fill up so they'd skip later stops and head straight to the race.

The runners trying to register staged a very successful denial of service attack on the registration system, essentially taking it down and causing a 2.5 hour delay in the start of actual registration. In all seriousness, it seems demand for this race weekend reverted to peak running boom levels and runners showed up to registration wielding anywhere from one to twelve open browser tabs. All races sold out in 24 (5k) to 67 (M) minutes.

Well, that is pretty pathetic. Browsing to a site has an amplification value of 1 from a Dados perspective and billion dollar company shouldn't be taken out by that. Disney IT is garbage but that is bad. Adjusting for registration surges is a kindergarten maneuver. I guess they could have surged systems without surging bandwidth but, again, they aren't some mom and pop shop.

If you want to win the Florida lottery you have to buy a ticket.
If you give away a free entry into the lottery for a chance to buy a race entry, is a race entry of any value?

849.09 (1) (a) Set up, promote, or conduct any lottery for money or for anything of value;

A chance to get to pay to registerr has no actual value. You can't really resell it since it is time limited and who would pay for it in the current parameters? You have a better chance of lunching on the moon tomorrow than not having that lawsuit laughed out of court.

Extremely important question! Will there be panic for virtuals? Will I actually have to make an effort to register? Must I do the unthinkable and set an alarm?!?!

This is AMAZING thank you!

QQ - I've not done a RunDisney race since the A, B, C all the way to I, J K days. If you're in S3 for example are you all in the same coral or does each S get split over a few corals? Thanks!

There are mini-waves within the starting groups. So if you and three others are in s3 together, but you arrive as the first person in the starting group, middle person, and last person, then you wouldn’t be standing next to each other. If the three arrive together then you'll be together. The mini-waves delineation within starting groups is mostly random (and doesn't occur until the walk towards the starting line begins), but is caused by volunteers running a ticker-tape across the group and holding back sections of s3 from the start line. There are something like 800-1200 runners or so per wave. The amount per starting group is much more variable, but only about 10-12% of runners had a POT under 2 hrs. I don’t have the data in front of me, but I believe the 2:00-2:15 group (or 4:00-4:30 group) historically has about 10% of the runners in it. So approximately 20% of runner will have a POT in 2023.

Extremely important question! Will there be panic for virtuals? Will I actually have to make an effort to register? Must I do the unthinkable and set an alarm?!?!
I don’t think they’ve ever sold out on day one (and they shouldn’t sell out at all! let people spend money on this!) and I doubt it happens here, but I say this for every race, virtual or otherwise: if you know you want it, get in at launch to minimize the risk of missing out.

For you and others curious on the past POT runDisney system. Can't say definitively they will continue to use the same system.

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

View attachment 663828

An example on how to use the above:

A runner has a 1:58:00 HM time that is POT submittable.
-If they run the HM as a solo event and submit the 1:58 HM time, then they will be assigned s1. That is because the HM time is less than 2 hours. See bottom table.
-If they run the M as a solo event and submit the 1:58 HM time, then they will be assigned s3 for the M. That is because the HM time is between 1:53:46-2:07:48 which is the estimated bucket for s3.
-If they run Dopey and submit the 1:58 HM time, then they will be assigned s3 for the HM and M. That is because the HM time is between 1:53:46-2:07:48 which is the estimated bucket for s3. In some years, the 1:58 HM POT would mean a s3 for the 5k/10k (despite having 5k/10k estimated paces at registration), and in other years they've assigned you based on the 5k/10k estimated pace submission at registration (editable up to the POT deadline).

So if you're running either the M/Goofy/Dopey, then you look at the top table. If you're running the HM as a solo event (or a HM Challenge weekend that doesn't include a M), then you look at the bottom table.

McMillan uses T2=T1 X (D2/D1)^1.07 for both the conversion of HM to M and for 10k to HM. So using the above table I've generated you can see there are advantages to submitting certain POT distances depending on the race you're doing.

-If you're doing the M/Goofy/Dopey, then it's most advantageous to submit a 10 miler. That's because the POT calculator they use for M/Goofy/Dopey treats all distances equally at a roughly 1.079 Riegel value. Since they're all equal in conversion, an individual runner is most likely to achieve the 10 miler time threshold before they can meet either the HM or M threshold. For an example above, it's more likely a runner can do a 1:35 10 miler than a 2:07 HM or 4:30 M.

-If you're doing the HM solo event (or a HM as part of a non-M challenge such as Fairy Tale), then it's more advantageous to aim for a 10 miler or M. The 10k appears to be receiving a conversion of 1.055 (pretty standard value). But the 10 miler and M oddly appear to be much lower at 1.015 and 1.124. So in my opinion you're more likely to hit the 10 mile or M time, than your are the 10k or HM time. For an example above, I think it's easier to hit a 1:42 10 miler or 4:54 M, then it is to hit a 2:15 HM or 1:01 10k.

Edit to Add - If you're ever curious about the POT cutoffs, reach out to runDisney. They will tell you where you fall using their calculator. They will not share the calculation. But an accumulation of data has allowed me to come up with a reasonable estimate.

Thank you so much for compiling this information and sharing it! Being completely new to submitting a POT, I had no idea since the web site just said 4:30 for the marathon!

After stewing on yesterday's mess for a day, I can honestly say that I don't really care if the tech is bad or not. What bothers me most is the lack of transparency and failure to manage expectations. If we're all being thrown into a big pool with randomized entry into a queue that has no prioritizing features, TELL US THAT! Don't send a message saying to stay in the "queue" as if that saves our position in a non-existent line. Tell us at the outset how the system works. People will always be disappointed if they aren't able to get into a race that sells out quickly, but the anger and frustration could have been mitigated by better managing customer expectations.
It's nice to hear this from someone who was able to register.

I'm a 54-year-old somewhat overweight woman who used the goal of completing the 2022 Disney Marathon as an incentive to get in better shape. I didn't think I could do it, I doubt my friends and family thought I could do it, but against all odds, I finished. It was utterly exhausting, it was one of the worst experiences of my life, half my toes turned black and STILL aren't back to normal, it was one of the best experiences of my life, I caught covid somewhere along the way, I thought I never ever ever wanted to do anything like that again, it was one of the best experiences of my life, I wanted to quit almost every single mile, I ached for days after, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Did I mention that it was one of the best experiences of my life? Don't tell my husband and kids.

So. Of course I was never going to do THAT again. I finished. That was enough. Then the elation wore off and I thought...what next? No way could I EVER do the Dopey. When I first heard of the Dopey Challenge it sounded insane. Honestly, it still sounds insane. But it started to sound less and less insane and more and more like my new goal.

So I've been working with a personal trainer since February to prepare for the Dopey Challenge, with April 19th marked on my calendar. I guess I knew there was a possibility that I wouldn't get a bib, but I don't think I ever truly considered that this might actually happen. I wanted it so badly that of course I would make it happen. So yesterday I was ready at 9:15, and I waited, and waited, and waited. The website said to be patient, so I was (ok not really but I "kept the page open and did not refresh" as advised by runDisney). And then I got shut out, and am reading on Facebook, etc., that some runners were able to log right in and register almost immediately after I spent hours of my day waiting.

Am I bitter? I think it's pretty clear that I am. Am I done with Disney? No, because like I may have already said, running the Disney marathon was one of the best (and worst) experiences of my life. I am still a little angry about how all of this transpired, but angry is not a good look on me. I sulked for about half an hour and then hurriedly logged back in and registered for the marathon before THAT filled up too. In 2023 I'm going to run the marathon BETTER than I ran it this year, and in 2024, when I'm 55, I'm going to (barring Disney IT difficulties!) run the Dopey, and it's going to be sweet.

So yeah, it's going to sting a little when I read about some of you guys getting ready for the Dopey, but I'm going to read all of your posts with relish because that'll be me next time. And by then, I'll be even more ready.

It's still a little difficult to read the excited posts from people who got what they wanted (envy is an ugly emotion) but it really does help when I read posts like @PrincessV's. So thank you.

This will be my first run Disney event and my first half marathon. If the balloon lady’s scoop me up, do I still get a medal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter