Marathon Weekend 2023

I could certainly get behind an idea that once you'd made it into the queue the race you selected was "held" for you for a limited time to prevent selling out during the check out process. There are a couple of other things that would need to go along with that, though.

First, you might need to eliminate or severely curtail the number of registrations one person could do simultaneously to prevent the early entrants from bogging down the system to get their whole group of friends registered.

Second, that approach can result in a different type of unfairness that I don't know how you'd prevent. Say enough runners in the system have the entire stock of Dopey bibs accounted for. When runners right after the get through, Dopey isn't available to them. Now say some of the first set don't complete their transactions on time and Dopey bibs are released back into the wild. You'll have a number of runners who "got there later" able to register for Dopey when earlier runners weren't able. Pretty much the same situation some are complaining about from this registration.
Definitely good points. I really don't think there is a 100% perfect option that will make everyone happy.

I wonder if any other races/race series have the "register a group" demand that runDisney does? And if so, how do they handle it?

Just on a general running thought as well, has anybody noticed an uptick in registration demand for other races? Did COVID maybe reawaken some running enthusiasts in general? After all, it was something you could get out and do in the great outdoors without a mask.

The Marine Corps Marathon, which has been a lottery for the past 5 years or so, has not filled, and registration opened in March, I believe. This is especially interesting because a lot of people (such as me) are still using deferrals from the 2020 and 2021 editions, both of which were virtual only. Of course, the MCM not selling out could also have a lot to do with the fact they've essentially doubled (to $200) the registration fee in the past 5 years or so, too. It's just one race, but I'm still surprised to see this - the MCM has sold out quickly in the past 10 years, so seeing it still open almost a month after registration opened is quite a surprise.

I get that Disney is a business, but to defend Disney because they are still getting our money is short sighted. Just yesterday, someone in this thread posted about the lack of customer service. This used to be the Disney difference. They got our money and cared that we were also happy. At some point, the goodwill is going to wear thin. Those of us passionate about the park will havea breaking point. It has already happened to some other frequent posters on here. It just wasn't worth the time and money anymore. I still love WDW and will be doing another Dopey. But, we've gone from Annual Passholders that stayed exclusively at Disney to doing a different vacation this summer and then even spending time at Universal for the first time in 15 years. It is because the current leadership cares less about the customer service and more about the next earnings report.

Disney used to preach that if the customer was upset, Listen-Apologize-Solve-Thank (LAST). It does not seem like they are practicing this very much anymore.

Here’s something interesting… I’m friends with someone quite a bit younger who’s FAR more in tune with Insta/TikTok/YouTube bloggers/vloggers/influencers. She pointed out that she’s never seen anything like the excitement amongst that crowd for this race weekend. That 90s theme is huge with them and she’s seen a ton of interest from plenty of folks who aren’t runners and/or have never had interest in rD races before.

It seems really likely we’ve had a big new influx of newbies registering, drawn in by theme alone. Blows my mind! Well played, Mouse, well played.

Here’s something interesting… I’m friends with someone quite a bit younger who’s FAR more in tune with Insta/TikTok/YouTube bloggers/vloggers/influencers. She pointed out that she’s never seen anything like the excitement amongst that crowd for this race weekend. That 90s theme is huge with them and she’s seen a ton of interest from plenty of folks who aren’t runners and/or have never had interest in rD races before.

It seems really likely we’ve had a big new influx of newbies registering, drawn in by theme alone. Blows my mind! Well played, Mouse, well played.

I knew it was gonna be a whole different ballgame when those themes were released. Everyone on Instagram was going nuts

Just yesterday, someone in this thread posted about the lack of customer service. This used to be the Disney difference. They got our money and cared that we were also happy. At some point, the goodwill is going to wear thin. Those of us passionate about the park will havea breaking point.

Completely agree. People seem to have short memories because I see comments about how their customer service has always been bad, and it's a business. It has not always been bad, it's something they used to be explicitly praised for.

Doesn't bode well for race etiquette, though, which has never been a strong point of RunDisney runners.

I wonder if the big article CNN wrote relatively recently on running at Disney may have boosted the buzz, as well.

Last edited:
I registered yesterday for the marathon weekend 2023 ( half marathon). But my registration does not show up in my dashboard any longer. It was there yesterday and this morning but not anymore. I tried to access my account from the different devices and the result is the same. Instead of that, I see a message "You aren't registered for any upcoming events. " I contacted the support team but have not heard back. Has anybody else experience this?

We're definitely one of those couples that believes Disney is no longer giving enough for what it costs. The only reason we're even doing this race trip is because my husband wants the anniversary Dopey and Marathon, the 90s theme speaks strongly to our age bracket, and it's right after my 40th birthday. So it'll be a long trip for birthday, NYE, and race weekend. Then we plan on taking a Disney break for a while and continue venturing into international travel.

Disney was never cheap, but we would come away from a trip feeling like they gave us a good enough experience to warrant the prices. That's not really the case anymore.

I registered yesterday for the marathon weekend 2023 ( half marathon). But my registration does not show up in my dashboard any longer. It was there yesterday and this morning but not anymore. I tried to access my account from the different devices and the result is the same. Instead of that, I see a message "You aren't registered for any upcoming events. " I contacted the support team but have not heard back. Has anybody else experience this?
Yes. This happened to me before. I had changed my email at some point and the system saw it as two accounts. At some random point my registrations disappeared and got assigned to the other phantom account. I contacted support and they straightened it out.

Completely agree. People seem to have short memories because I see comments about how their customer service has always been bad, and it's a business. It has not always been bad, it's something they used to be explicitly praised for.
Well, I haven't been running runDisney for 30 years, but I have for about 10 now and can only say that runDisney's customer service in that time has always been abysmal. rD and parks are different entities and their customer service typically quite different. Until recently that is when the parks decided to have lousy customer service as well.

And, I'm not apologizing for rD nor making excuses. I'm merely saying they have no incentive to change when they have demand like they do. You can argue about future harm and eventually losing business, but I suspect they know that they can likely quickly make up for past harms with things like incentives and discounts should it become necessary to keep registrations high. That might prove to be wrong and a risky gamble, but I tend to doubt it. Look, I'm a Disney addict and enabler. I continue to give them my money, so why would they change? For me, personally, I just don't feel like I have much right to complain when I continue to gobble up the product.

I wish they seemed to give two cents about how their clientele feels, but it just seems clear to me that they don't which only really leaves me with two choices and I just.can't.quit.them. Sigh.

Speaking of Active ... my first runDisney race weekend was Princess 2015, where we crashed Active on registration day. I remember freaking out and almost talking myself out of registering. Wild.

thoughts on lodging...Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans, or Saratoga Springs?
I am staying at AKL for MW because I love the resort and it is fun to be in with plenty of food options. But I have no experience with it for race weekends.
I have stayed at both POR and POFQ for race weekends. POR especially is a fav of mine. For race weekends, the busses were convenient. We stayed in a preferred room and were so close to the front bus stop. Super convenient. Some races the 2 have shared a bus. Others not. For Princess they did so depending on the direction the driver took, you could be on the bus for a while. Didn't bother me, but it does some people. Also plenty of busses and no problems getting one, at least for the early busses.

We may be staying at Swolphin for the first part of our trip since I can't get us into Shades of Green for the first few days. That means my runners would be catching the race buses from Swolphin. Is it better to be on the Swan or Dolphin side (or Swan Reserve??) or is it irrelevant?

thoughts on lodging...Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans, or Saratoga Springs?

I have stayed at AKL, PO-R, and OKW (so SS-adjacent) for previous race weekends. The most recent was AKL this past MW. I think as far as race logistics go, e.g. transportation, all resorts are pretty comparable. I always get a car, so can't speak to expo transport.

It boils down to your budget and resort preference, based on your wants/needs. I loved my stays at AKL since it is out of the way and feels like a real getaway. Plus sitting on my balcony watching animals is tops. I will say that on Sat/Sun you need to plan any park visits to minimize dealing with the road closures (hint: don't do MK--it's a cluster trying to get there!)

Not in IT, but came up with a hypothesis after thinking about what worked for @Novatrix and I, where we selected the 5K option after registration opened at 12:30 and were both given less than 5 min waits. Was wondering if the spot you are assigned in the virtual queue is related to the race you click on on the main page.

My hypothesis is that the link you click assigns you a line spot based on the historical sell-out time of a race. Since the 5K sells out quicker than Dopey, or the marathon, an hour queue spot would essentially eliminate the possibility of registering for that race. Compared to someone registering for Dopey, an hour should not eliminate the ability to register (most years.)

This is only supported by two anecdotal accounts, and I know it's giving Disney IT a lot of credit, but just a thought. Would be curious to see peoples posted queue times with regard to what race they selected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter